Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Nice to see a thread for this. I watched some vids of people playing the beta and it looks like they did indeed improve the game in almost all ways. Heavy Weapons for instance seem to have been buffed big time. I saw retcon raider clear a fight thats supposed to be unwinnable at the start of the game with one and a +AP on kill perk.

On the other hand, Int was nerfed into the ground. You only get bonus skill points in character creation and everyone gets the same amount on each level up so it looks like the new dump stat. It just affects crit chance and damage now. It didn't seem like a popular choice though so they may have changed it again.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Furism posted:

Can you recommend any video? I'm especially one that goes into the theorycrafting a bit. Of course we can't possibly know what'll work best in the late game, but if anyone spend a good amount of time looking at the stats, skills and attribute and how they scale, that'd be interesting for when the game comes out. For instance you say INT is the dump stat because besides the initial skill point bonus it only affects crit chance and damage. But those seem important, so I would be interested in understanding why they are not, in fact, considered important.

I think this is the best video out there right now (there is a part 2): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuS1800athM

I'm going through it myself as I'm also a bit fan of planning out my builds. I say Int was nerfed because it was previously a god stat which let you get far ahead of other characters in skills. Bonuses to crits could work wonders in a build designed around them but only if you really invest in it imo. That said, even though Int's skill-gain has been nerfed it looks like it is still possible to make a skill monkey character since you can get up to +40% exp gain with maxes Cha and the Bookworm background plus theres a Quirk for getting an extra skill point every other level (it was changed from when the above video was made). So carting around a puny combat-useless nerd who maxes out skills still seems like a viable strat which I will probably be doing.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Aug 9, 2020

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

How it worked in the Beta (which was the first few hours of the game) was that you make two characters to go through the tutorial and then afterwards you can create or recruit 2 more characters to have up to 4 custom characters. I think party size was changed too so that you can only have 6 in a squad at any point, instead of the 7 from WL2. So thats 2 slots for companions unless you open slots up for them over your custom guys.

Skills are gonna be tighter than they were previously I think. 6 characters can't cover all the skills this time at 3 points per level and 22 skills.

DogsInSpace! posted:

edit2: At least I hope you get 4 guys you tailor their stats as the game usually picked the absolute worst choices for stats. I remember W2 loved putting points into Luck despite it being the most useless stat in W2. They also loved choosing the worst possible combos for stats like giving he low strength guy melee or nothing into anything that would give people any action points. Ralphie finally morphed into a good companion at 40.

Haha I got halfway through the previous game and wanted to recruit the Mad Monk guy but his stats and build was awful. But I thought he was such a cool character that I learned how to edit the game files to change his stats to being good. I might do the same again tbh. I kind of want to have my starting two be the Father-Daughter premade characters but I'm allergic to playing suboptimally.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 10, 2020

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

upgunned shitpost posted:

given the really low skill levels at the start, you could probably build two rangers from the ground up then a pair of the premades who may have some special banter. wouldn't be that hard to trick them out later as long as their stats weren't actively hateful like the first game.

it was talked about briefly in one of the vids, but I dunno how deep that system is.

Yeah, this is gonna be a big decider on how I play. If there is even a bit of reactivity to using the premades I'm probably sold. If it's just some fluff then I'll ignore it and make my own people.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I heard that theres two returning companions: Scotchmo and Pizepi.

The wiki has a list of known recruits but theres no info on their builds yet, just names and bio's: https://wasteland.gamepedia.com/Recruits_(Wasteland_3)

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Theres a pretty detailed starter guide here from someone who's finished the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJMnJvrxS94

Looks like the OP Serial Killer quirk got nerfed but is still strong. He confirmed that the premade duo's do have unique voice acting and lines. He also has some good tips on item availability, which skills pay off and which don't. Brawling sounds sick as hell.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

BULBASAUR posted:

can you increase stats through leveling up?

Yeah, pretty sure you get a point every level after level 3.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Oh hey, looks like spoilers are up about the (currently known) companions and their builds: https://www.pcinvasion.com/wasteland-3-recruit-companion-guide/

For heretics like myself who like to meticulously plan your team, should be useful.

Evil Canadian posted:

So going by that video linked earlier you create 4 of your dudes, and other 2 are more story driven companions. This is gonna give me anxiety now cause I know ill make someone who has skills that overlap with one of the other companions and my min-maxing will be ruined.

Edit: Convenient timing lol

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Ok turns out you can't just edit the save game file to sneakily respec your characters anymore, so there goes my dream of playing the premade characters and making them actually good.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

So after finally getting a decent amount of time to play the game, one thing I've been surprised over is that Charisma is a pretty strong stat. Not just for the exp boost but for the increase to the strike buildup. I thought my Max-Char Pointdexter character would be totally useless in a fight but since he gets a Precision Strike just about every few turns his poo poo accuracy, speed, health, AP and damage are kind of mitigated by being able to wipe something out on a consistent basis.

Li-Tsing starts with high Char too so she snaps those off a lot and as a sniper precision strikes are extremely strong. I'm probably going to max that instead of aiming for crits. The big problem with her is that her default build only gives her Sniper perks since Lockpicking and Kiss rear end don't have any....

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 30, 2020

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Huh, so apparently the Draw! perk works works with all guns including bazooka's, meaning you can fire a rocket, reload and then shoot another rocket for free.

That seems pretty busted and counter to the theme of the perk but brb gotta run up small guns and make it rain fire I guess.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Has anyone else had their characters screwed up when pulled out of storage?

I just withdrew my sniper after a shopping trip and she now has 2 automatic weapons, 1 explosives, and no other skills and no skill points.

I saw someone on reddit with the same issue. It seems to be a bug which can only be resolved by remaking the ranger or reloading.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Sep 2, 2020

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The int bonus is a one time bonus of skill points and not a bonus every time you level up.

It definitely feels like a dump stat after you max out coordination and strength/perception

Crits are actually insanely strong since they do like 300% damage at max Int and you can easily get to 33%-50% crit chance. The skillpoints are trash but thats not the main point of the stat anymore.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Sep 4, 2020

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I haven't got to that part yet but is it possible to recruit Cordite and still side with the Patriarch? He seems interesting but Angela's plan is dumb as hell.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Those guys look fine. You probably do want a decent amount of awareness on a sniper because missing shots are much more punishing for them but you can fill that in later but if you're going pointdexter you also need to get to 4 strength asap because otherwise you don't get any more CON on levelup.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

blizzardvizard posted:

Lmao so Charley gave a call asking for help to take over the Bizarre. I sided with Flab and killed Charley, then I went back to Little Vegas and he's still there chilling in his same spot. I can even tell Brygo that Charley's dead.

I kinda like it though, he's like a lingering ghost only my party can see.

This quest seems quite buggy. I got Flabs throne in my museum before Charley even called me. Its still in there even after I sided with the Monsters. I hope it doesn't gently caress up my ending slides.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

deep dish peat moss posted:

Brawling - Power Gauntlet (7 skill req) - Somewhere in the middle tier but still bad. 2 AP per swing to deal ~10% of an enemy's health in damage clocks in at ~20:1 AP-to-Kill ratio, plus extra AP for moving closer to enemies. The combo system and whatever the finishing move is might make it a little better but generally my SMG user has finished the fight on their own before my brawler can get more than 2 combo on anyone.

The perk that gives -1 AP to all brawling hits really does make the weapon worth it. My Cordite went from barely managing to tickle a single enemy with the 3AP Sawblade glove to getting that skill and the Power Gauntlet and suddenly he kills 2 a turn by himself because he can attack 10 times a turn.

Has anyone tried a dedicated Blunt weapon build? Bladed just seems better but I can see using the stun skill to auto-crit someone working.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Sep 6, 2020

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Reclaimer posted:

You can't go wrong with Liberty.

Honestly, if it wasn't that she apparently doesn't send aid to Arizona I'd be tempted to side with her since she really does seem like the only one able to succeed Saul. I guess that's the point of her character though, she'd be fine if she just had patience and was less of a tyrant.

If they do another DC edition I'd love an ending where you can show her the documents proving the Patriarch only has a few years left and could convince her to join your side and help you decimate the gangs and return with you to be Saul's true heir. Also change Angela's ending so its a bit less dumb.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Ivan Dolvich posted:

I've experienced weird issues like this as well. When I got the meatmaker its damage was almost as high as the sniper rifle I had, but when I tried to use it in actual combat the damage was minimal.

Same. It also somehow made the uzi the same character had go down to -17 to -12 damage. I didn't get to try it to see if it really did heal people though. My melee characters weapons also seem to bounce around a lot, as if its not adding the strength bonus sometimes.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 6, 2020

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

And if you have items that increase skills you don't even need to do that. You can get the mechanics book, a hat and utility item to boost it all in Colorado Springs, so if you beeline to rank 7 you're done with it.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Defiance Industries posted:

The ending says they "figure it out" so eventually, yes, but not right away.

Theres basically no info online about this ending I can find, so hope you can shed further light on this. I know the Gippers being alive do supply Colorado Springs if you have Reagan hostage and the Machine Commune give oil to everyone meaning there's not really enough for Springs but does the Fishlips ending actually have them supply the city with oil or does it just say they work out how to make it? I'm literally at this choice right now.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Sep 8, 2020

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

sean10mm posted:

3) I don't give a gently caress about the existing law enforcement. Get in my way or try to get me to narc on noted bro of the Desert Rangers from way back Faran Brygo and you can eat poo poo.

There's a neat plot point about this if you do though. If you aren't interested in doing a second playthrough: It's not actually the real Faran Brygo. Theres a tape in a backroom which indicates that the REAL one has been sending lookalikes out to set up their own franchises by pretending to be him. That's why the one you see is identical to his picture even though its been 20 years since that picture was done.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

DogsInSpace! posted:

Oh gently caress me.... the "how to talk like a goomba" tape that was his voice was him training franchise Brygos? I completely loving missed that and feel like such a goon. Now I'm going to go post in a tv thread how Chris Evans accent is weird on The Boys or confuse laughing and crying.

I actually mis-remembered sorry. It's a tape you only get from his body after you kill him. They're speaking in code but you can tell that it's the same voice and they mention there's 'others' so that's how they're probably gonna have him show up in Wasteland 4 even if you arrested or killed him. You can listen to it at about 7.18: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpjEd0JrhBc

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 11, 2020

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

PirateBob posted:

Well, I was thinking more of Cordite when I chose the word oval office. But Kwon isn't great either. He's spying for the Patriarch and he's a Marshal, and you've seen how they operate. That's why I wanna replace him. But I can't until I find a companion, because you can only have 4 player created characters.

Tbf you can ask Kwon about being a Marshall when so many are corrupt and he'll admit that he'll take a bribe for most minor things but only if no-one is hurt and draws the line at looking the other way for really serious things and that he thinks most Marshalls take it way too far.

But yeah the game has pretty odd pacing for companions. Of the remaining companions one is Lucia who I assume you're using, theres the one at Aspen which is close to the end of the game and the other two are as bad as Cordite (and also suck compared to him in terms of builds). Maybe try Scotchmo out, shotguns become crazy strong.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 11, 2020

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Lodin posted:

Probably an older model and they couldn't figure out how to stop the cape from clipping so they just removed it.

And speaking of other RPGs, any consensus on Torment? I backed the kickstarter but never got more than a couple of hours in since there was probably something else more shiny out at the time.

It's very underrated in my opinion. Mainly because it tried to put effort into the story without being ironic or funny about it which invariably opens it up to people hating that side of it strongly. The writing is actually very strong I thought, it just didn't reach the impossible expectations people had for it. I really like the attribute and skills system and the combat is decent enough to be serviceable. Rhin is one of the best concepts for a companion in any WCRP's I've played and I'm glad I played it just for her.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

So there's a thread on reddit (I know, I know) going on atm that's making me really rethink my position on the Machine Commune. For some reason I kind of clued in that Null-Stack is likely a part of the Commune but it was so pathetic that when it immediately tries to kill you and then starts blatantly trying to manipulate you I didn't really think about it. Now that I am though, it's clearly very hostile to humans and then you learn that its forcing the miner to gather metal for them to build more robots, which is a hell of a lot more aggressive and expansionist than the 'hippy commune' they try to sell you on.

It's also interesting to note that most robots in the game try to act as non-threatening and goofy as possible so you don't attack them, including the ridiculous one in the Monster Army that's completely safe and impossible to attack without fighting the whole army even though it's barely disguised. The Commune could very easily be doing the exact same thing on a much larger scale. They did just let a bunch of humans die when they very obviously could have prevented it and they try to engineer a situation that forces you into killing the Gippers in 'self-defense'. And then if they get control of the oil they give it to a bunch of raiders while not sending enough to meet Colorado Springs needs. Hmmm.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 16, 2020

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

DogsInSpace! posted:

Interesting point but.... I don't think Null Stack in Telluriam Mines is directly following the wants of the Collective. The Collective does value individuality and tends to not mind if say a bot wants to go to Ranger HQ and help repair your dudes. Is the Great Reboot what Null wants? Yeah. Is he dangerous? Probably, no matter you talking to him down or talks of peace, I could see this going badly in the future. The Collective for the most part aren't like that. Remember when you first meet the Gippers one of the Collective was coming down to save an injured human. Smarter thing would have been to stay clear but he didn't and got zapped for being a commie. Other than that you got doctors, vending machines, artists, gamers, sexbots and other guys trying to wonder about a dead turtle. The one synth, Tinker, you meet can actually discuss a peace. Guy just as easily will fight you but you can choose to try peace. He's safe in the collective. Oct 11 will straight up tell you that they will kill again and does. The voice sounding like a kid was used as deception but I am not sure that these bots really got the deceptive part of manipulation down like humans do. Dos at the Dept of Energy will straight up tell you she is the daughter of Cochise and wants to rise up but she's not the Collective. Again this is all conjecture and the like but my feelings say the Collective are good and the closest thing they get to supporting bad bots is not trying to get in their way. They just want bots to chill and get along and be free to choose whatever path they want. Kinda like humans. I can't see the Collective ending as its bugged but I thought it was said that they distributed the oil to everyone and not just Colorado Springs. That's not quite as bad as just sending it to the bad guys and fits their MO more.

ProletariBots Unite!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW_djIPTVcU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVCF1SvjTFQ

Well the argument that the guy in the thread I linked to is that just like how the other robots in the game try to present a false persona to convince you they're no threat, the whole Commune may be a larger version of that to prevent humans from attacking them while they get stronger. Think about it, what better way to convince outsiders that they're no threat than a pacifistic slicer-dicer being in charge of their defense (who still attacks you if you fight the Commune iirc)? The artist, sexbot etc could also just be designed to convince you that they're individuals with real hearts and not worth killing. We can only really trust their words on that. The radio AI also apparently tells you that the Communes memories are backed up in a satellite, so the droid going out to treat injuries isn't actually in as much danger as it seemed.

It also occurred to me that we can only trust V.I.C.I that they achieved individuality and isn't connected to the Commune anymore. She could easily be lying and engineering a situation in which the Rangers freely invite a member of the Commune into their base. Perhaps just another way for them to spy on you, which is another thing they admit to doing to an incredible extent through means unknown. The whole morality test they give you is also bullshit btw, since they allow Tinker and Erastus into the Commune both of whom have slaughtered innocent people just for fun.

I can't think of Null-Stack as being anything other than from the Commune and working in their interests, which apparently involves forcing someone to mine resources for them against their will. Who else it would be gathering all that metal for? Not the synths. So you have this collection of machines acting as if all they want is to peacefully co-exist while sending out kill-bots to get resources, have massive spying capabilities, selling weapons and oil to everyone even Godfishers (going from the thread), allow genocidal lunatics like Tinker and Erastus Dorsey into their base and try and convince you to wipe out the Gippers for them by kidnapping someone against their will.

I'm not going to just run in and scrap them all or something, but I'm not going to unreservedly side with them anymore just because they act like hippes.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Sep 18, 2020

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Kind of awkward that Obsidian spent all that time creating their Fallout-but-better clone in Outer Worlds when they could have just waited and had New Vegas 2 fall on their laps like this.

Especially when they have their Elder Scrolls-but-better game also in the works. I don't know how much you can bank on "screw Bethesda" as a draw when you're part of the same company.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 21, 2020

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Tainted Ham posted:

Question about the Hard heads and Denver:
If you wipe out the grippers and they move into Denver, will oil be supplied at the end of the game so the peacful transition of power ending is still viable?

No, it takes them too long to get it running again. You need to have Colorado supplied during your coup attempt or you don't have enough support. Same for the Commune. Peaceful transition is only possible if the Gippers live.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

The synth is totally full of poo poo imo. It claims that it just wants to be left alone, but if thats the case then why was it in the middle of the most populated area in Colorado in the first place? It admits that it was designed to infiltrate and says that it will kill if discovered or is about to be discovered in 'pre-emptive self-defense'. But it's a synth with the body of an adult and the voice of a child. It will always be discovered in any interaction and therefore will end up killing any human it comes across. Killing it is the only sane option.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

The other option should be down next to the bridge on the way to the Bizarre. Turn left out of Colorado Springs (your left) and you should find it if you just stay on the road.

That does sound like a bug though, it may impact the game tbh since that quest is part of the main plot. I'd load to be safe.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

itry posted:

Not really his fault the way he was made.
You can threaten him to expose himself by saying you're going to shoot the robots in the museum, so he's clearly not a sociopath. Just scared.
You can tell him to dress like a refugee and escape the city and not to talk to anyone. It could work. The rest of the stuff about (pre-emptive) self-defense is a very human thing to say. So why treat him differently?

That being said... I did kill him my first playthrough (by accident) even before meeting that rear end in a top hat merc. I just wanted to see what happens if I attack one of the exhibits. Next thing I know I have a quest item in my inventory that I don't know what to do with. :v:

It doesn't really matter if it's his fault or not. He has and will murder innocent people and if you let him go he will continue to kill unapologetically. I hear you can even find a few people killed by him later if you do.

Or he just knew you were going to find him and was trying to stop you taking out one of his 'soldiers' before he could start the fight. Or to make himself seem more sympathetic.

Like I asked, why was he in the city at all if he just wants to be left alone? Why go into a city where he's going to have to kill everyone he meets? Pretending to have innocent intentions is total BS. Especially considering what you learn later about the synths. He clearly has no regard for the humans he kills and refuses to promise not to kill again. If it was a human saying that I'd kill them too. That kind of total disregard for innocent life and ability to take it can't just be let go.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I heard that you can get the synth in the Bizarre if you have Cordite with you.

Also speaking of cut plot, check out the insane amount of unused quests that have descriptions in the game code that have been found (potential spoilers for DLC): https://wasteland.gamepedia.com/Wasteland_3_quests

Halfway down the page. If those are DLC, this game is going to get a lot bigger.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Did anyone ever figure out why some weapons double their damage if you use them for long enough? My Red Dragon sniper is doing twice the damage its supposed to do and I'm too scared to change it to the next tier in case I actually lose damage.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

A Strange Aeon posted:

HP from strength boosts is retroactive, right?

Yeah.

I feel like getting high speed would be worth it in some instances since if you max it you can get to 50% evasion or something. Not sure if that's better than pure health or not though.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

DogsInSpace! posted:

You sure? I'm willing to admit if I'm off but Lucia seemed to prove that it wasn't retroactive. God I'd love it if I was wrong. Please let me be wrong.

It's retroactive for every 2 levels you increase it by, which increases the CON per level you get. It immediately bumps you CON up. Every odd level you just get a flat bonus to HP.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Upmarket Mango posted:

About Denver and the oil... the Machine Commune loved me and my ending said they sold oil to everyone so would that meet the criteria to get the Ranger takeover ending too?

No.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

A Strange Aeon posted:

Major Tomcat died under mysterious circumstances in the big Warrens battle I think and we didn't have the heart to reload and fight through it again.

Am I right that any cat will give the crit chance bonus?

Yes, but if you have Major Tomcat you can have him on one character and a cat on another to get the massive +12% crit chance on two characters instead of just one. You can only have 1 of each animal in the party otherwise.

Lucia makes Django look like a pussy if you get her crit high enough, so having a cat on both her and my sniper was really good.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Horizon Burning posted:

yeah, it's weird. because i think the ideas they're going for are neat, they just dropped the ball in making it interesting to interact with. for example, i love how the patriarch is reasonable, honest, forthright, and so on. i also love how he's a tyrant - with good intentions, perhaps, but still a dictator. not quite a benevolent dictator but, like i said, he's pretty much on the level. there's no trope of him betraying you or being a secret monster or whatever. even the revelation deth wants to sell you on (he gives away people to the wasteland gangs) is, sure, terrible... but ultimately pretty much the least worst outcome. yes, it sucks, but this is the post-apocalypse

so, i also appreciate that his opposition is angie deth and her bunch of well-meaning idealists. 'even a pleasant tyrant is still a tyrant, he must fall.' the problem is, i find it very weird that angie deth's plan is basically 'use cyborg genghis khan to take out the league of evil, then unleash him on kansas' when she's so upset about the patriarch's lesser list of crimes. like, do the people of kansas just not matter to her? i could understand that if she was a colorado native, but she's not. she's just a ranger who decided that she had to bring down the patriarch. which is fine! like i said, i kind of see the 'coalition of the willing' analogy going on here, and i like that angela is just like 'rangers oppose tyranny no matter what, he MUST fall.' but i don't think you ever get the chance to press her on kansas or anything like that, so, it just feels a bit weird.

it's a very cool idea for a conflict. but i feel like it just doesn't develop well. 'hey, i'm angie deth, i need you to go break this guy out of the patriarch's black site - oh, didn't i mention he's cyborg genghis khan?' but it's a very fine line to walk to make a conflict between 'well-meaning and reasonable dictator' and 'idealistic but not-in-my-backyard guerilla.' i really do like it but i'm also not sure at all how you could make it work better without making it less interesting. like, it would've sucked had buchanan had a black site filled with innocents he was torturing because he's just so crazy, y'know? both of the options suck, and that's the point. like the hoons say, when the powerful fight it's really the powerless who suffer most. and once angie has power, well... hammers and nails. but angie, what price freedom? what does freedom even mean? is freedom worth anything in a world like wasteland 3? i feel like angie deth would get along with rorsharch: never compromise, even in the face of armageddon. which is really cool, but...

anyway, i aligned with the one honest person in the wasteland, of course, and pledged myself to warlord-queen liberty buchanan as her personal kill-team, long may she reign. talk about presence and go-get-em attitude!

The crazy thing that causes the most cognitive dissonance is that she's totally willing to let Arizona and Kansas die just to give Colorado a nebulous chance of getting her definition of free. Which is exactly what the Patriarch did. Her huge problem with him is that he paid off the eastern gangs by sending sacrificial prisoners and loot to them. But her own plan us to support Cordite in taking over the gangs and helping him take them east to conquer Kansas in order to 'get them out of our hair for a while' because she doesn't give a poo poo about Kansas. Cordite even admits hes just going to conquer Kansas and turn around to subjugate Colorado too which just makes it and even worse plan!

And she 100% intends to allow Arizona to starve without sending them supplies, which is simply monstrous. In the November Reigns ending you can pull off the coup and still send supplies and she'll just act like thats a neat bonus. In fact, even her plan for Colorado is just ridiculous. She wants to gut the power structure of Colorado and just hope things turn out better without things falling to pieces. She won't even commit to helping them figure out what 'better' looks like, her plan is to just kill anyone who starts getting power that she thinks is bad until only the good people are left in charge. Which is barely any different from being a tyrant herself and means a lot more people die.

So she is FAR more evil than Buchanon. If her plan goes off like she wants it to thats two states completely hosed over by her decisions and another one thrown into anarchy. I wouldn't call her an idealist, she's just a loving terrorist who decided to take down the Patriarch and doesn't give a poo poo who gets hurt in her pursuit of that. The only thing I regret about killing her is that you have to kill Pistol Pete and Brother Thomas too. The November Reigns ending is obviously the perfect ending but its way too clean and boring for my tastes.

If they do a Directers Cut of the game I'd really like them to make her and Liberty's endings a bit more justifiable to choose compared to the others.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Oct 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I do have a feeling that Wasteland 4 may be set in Kansas. Cordite heading over there in most endings seems like good set up for a sequel and then Scotchmo also heads over there too in the end.

One thing that struck me with Wasteland 2 is that alot of the problems in the game are because of how useless the Rangers are outside of the PC's. They have this high-minded ideal of upholding justice but they refuse to take an active leadership role in Arizona. In fact they make a truly baffling decision to abandon their old HQ which is centrally placed and near a lot of the regions settlements and then are flummoxed when they can't respond to attacks quickly enough and raiders inhabit their old HQ and start asserting control in the region. With this in mind regarding Wasteland 3 I fully agree that them taking over for the Patriarch is the best option currently in the game. The Rangers are the Good Guys of the setting and are the ones best suited to leading things back towards true civilisation but they need to actually take a role in moving things towards that to be effective. A peaceful transition after establishing good relationships with everyone in the region is clearly the best option for Colorado going forward. It's also refreshing that the game shows that violently overthrowing a dictatorship doesn't magically make things super awesome and instead tends to just cause widespread destabilization and death, which isn't something a lot of american media likes to acknowledge.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 6, 2020