Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I’m gonna start with Ireland, but then I really want to try one of the places in Saharan Africa, now that there’s more space and more stuff going on there. I don’t know if they’ve said anything about trade routes so much as existing, but that webwork of passable terrain through the desert looks fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

CK2's Iqta mechanics were always a big letdown, being essentially Feudalism But Green. Hopefully this will be a bit more interesting. Or they'll put some more structure into it in a DLC.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

In 1124, Queen Miku Hatsune declares a brutal holy war for the duchy of Akihabara

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

I think they basically constructed a pretty advanced character generator, kind of how like EVE online lets you mess around with your portrait for hours doing tiny little details and it's just used as an afterthought. There's lots of different zones on characters faces that can be completely randomized to get a lot of variety.

I wonder how nuts the ruler designer is going to be.

Spend 4 hours making microscopic adjustments to your duke's nasal flare angle and then watch him die five minutes into the game.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Dramicus posted:

Has anyone seen if you can make your own dynasty at game start? So far, I've only seen historical starts.

Nope, not yet. The Ruler Designer will be a free DLC that will come out "soon" after release. You can, however, start as a historical dynasty and then split off as a custom branch.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Descar posted:

OK, when does your main character stop being able to have children?

I can't find any info about this, at all...

But I'm 63, and in good health, but haven't had a child in 15 years..
And every Spouse i pick, i see that i have None chance of children with every woman on earth. but no reasons as to why..

I have checked through all my traits, and only sees fertility boosts,
and I'm pretty sure my father had children over 48, as i do have 16 siblings..

I think the Chance of Children display is bugged, is the problem here.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

KingKapalone posted:

What do the pulsing blue outlines around some counties mean?

Allies in a war? I think it also outlines "fortified" baronies in blue, i.e. the ones you can/have to siege down.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I think I'll put CK3 down for a while while they iron out some of the bugs and imbalance. I really like transitioning from tribalism, but it sounds like it's incredibly dumb and painful right now.

Maybe I'll try the start as a Coptic Clan -> convert to Kushite -> reform dance to get some of the same flavor.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I feel like they could get Fervor working better pretty easily. Maybe something like this:

1) The change over time is based on stuff that "belongs" to your faith, but is held by other faiths. That means counties of your faith, holy sites, and maybe parts of the map that your faith views as its "homelands," like France/Germany/Italy for Catholics. The numbers are based on your faith's opinion of the faith that holds them (so "Muslims hold Jerusalem" gives way more Fervor to Catholics than "Orthodox people hold Jerusalem"). It's zero or even negative if you hold most of that stuff; it should be very hard for Catholicism to build up Fervor if they're crushing everyone as usual. However, tenets like Armed Pilgrimages should increase the effect of unowned Holy Sites.

2) Outside of that, you get Fervor whenever a county or a count-or-higher-tier character converts away from your faith. Higher tier characters give more. Maybe also when a member of your faith gets murdered by somebody from a different one or something.

3) Pious types can do something to generate Fervor (via decision or something).

4) Most effects should scale proportionally with the size of the religion. A sinful priest should matter way more to a tiny religion where he's basically the only religious authority than it does to Catholicism where he's one of hundreds.

5) Hitting 100% Fervor should have an immediate effect. For GHW religions, that's easy: they start a GHW. However, other religions should still get a big event, like spreading to nearby counties, or starting big revolts in counties held by other faiths, or just getting big buffs to their conversion resistance etc. It's silly that you hit 100% Fervor and then it just... stays there, doing nothing. This should have a cooldown, of course (I have no idea why they didn't give GHWs a cooldown).

e: I mean, there's also a subtle, underlying problem, namely that Fervor is sort of two ideas conflated together: "our religion is under threat and he have to defend it" vs. "our religion is strong and righteous." MA was clearly the latter, and Fervor seems like it's supposed to be the former, but is actually an awkward mix.

megane fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 13, 2020

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

So what do cadet branches do for me? Are they still considered part of the dynasty or what?

The reason to create a cadet branch is if some other branch of the family has hold of the House Head position (and thus gets hooks on everyone etc.). Create a cadet branch, and you'll be the head of it.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Dorkopotamis posted:

Bohemia: give it a try.

Czechs with Techs

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The head of house gets hooks on all children born into the house, and can call house members to war for free. Dynasty heads can call any dynast to war, but it costs renown.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I have no idea how you're supposed to hold onto more than a single county under confederate partition. Short of endless constant expansion hellwars so you have three spare duchies to hand out every generation.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

AI clans are nonsensically stable anyway, of course.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The worst is trying to click on your capital barony, which is a tiny little patch of land 90% of which is covered by your giant-rear end realm coat of arms. No, clicking on the coat of arms doesn't count.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Kalko posted:

I want to try being a nice king who uses diplomacy to do stuff so I searched the world map a bit and found Brittany, and I've done a couple of sway schemes against my neighbours (who belong to France) but how do I get from 'he likes me' to 'he gave me his land?' Do I need to marry my people into his line of succession and wait for him to die or something?

I also gathered from skimming this thread that Ambitious characters like plotting against you, and my spymaster is Ambitious so I decided I would try to remove him slowly by taking his counties like I learned in the tutorial. I got my bishop (who is somehow an athiest) to fabricate a claim on one of his counties and it worked but now I'm not sure how to actually take it without going to war (again like in the tutorial). Is there a peaceful way to claim land in this game or does it always involve war of some kind?

There are a couple of ways to get land peacefully. Marrying your kids into the target's line of succession (matrilineally, if it's your daughter) is certainly one -- for instance, if you marry your daughter matrilineally to your neighbor's third son, and then his first two sons tragically happen to die*, her kids will inherit the title. More directly, if you keep an eye out* for rulers with only daughters, they'll be more likely to accept a patrilineal marriage. So, marry your heir to the daughter, then she'll inherit her dad's title, then eventually both your titles and hers will pass to your grandkid, and you'll end up in charge of the whole shebang once you're playing as him/her. (I'm assuming male-preference here, just flip everything if applicable.)

You can also offer vassalization to people (by right-clicking them). They'll usually only accept if they're your de jure vassal (say, you're the King of Ireland and they're an independent count in Ireland, so you're their boss "by right"), the same culture/religion as you, and pretty weak. But you can close that gap a bit by making them like you or by getting Hooks on them.

That said, war is definitely the primary method.

As for your own vassals, you can revoke titles off them once your Crown Authority is level 2 or higher (again, by right-clicking the target). This is tyrannical -- and hence will piss all your vassals off -- if you don't have a reason, but having a claim on the title in question counts as a reason, as does the target being a criminal (which you can expose via spying on them) or a rebel. So you should be able to revoke your spymaster's land without tyranny. Oh, and also: if people die with absolutely no living family members to succeed them*, the title gets passed up to their liege, i.e. you.

Also keep in mind that gaining land isn't the only way to become powerful / influential, and in fact can be downright detrimental for some purposes, since said land will be full of pissy vassals who will give you a tiny sliver of their stuff in exchange for whining about everything you do, rebelling at the worst possible time, and demanding protection while not raising a finger to help.

*Murder being involved in these lucky coincidences is optional.

megane fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Sep 16, 2020

megane
Jun 20, 2008

"If you wanted me to bring my soldiers along, you should've said so."

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

How do you do this? Is it the bottom button for the chancellor counselor?

Yes. Or rather, it happens automatically when the criteria are met, but that button makes your chancellor work on speeding it up.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

What happens if I'm a vassal of the HRE and inherit a slew of titles that are de jure vassal to the ERE?

Those titles will end up part of the HRE -- you can't have two different lieges and you've already got one. But the ERE will get pissy that you own them and might go to war to take them back.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

toasterwarrior posted:

I've noticed that once your grandchildren are old enough, they become the heirs. Dunno what the threshold is

It happens if their father is dead; I haven't seen any other cases.

e: Unrelated, but what they should do is remove the Norse ability to conquer coastal counties at any range and replace it with a "Great Heathen Army" style deal -- you pick any coastal duchy and go take it, but afterwards all your previously-held titles are given to some non-inheriting member of your dynasty. Go carve out a chunk of north Africa if you want, but you don't get to also still own Sweden.

megane fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Sep 19, 2020

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Bring up the election and click on the Electors tab. It shows their score for their own candidate and for yours, and you can hover over the scores to see why.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Seriously this one dude just hanging out in my vassal's court is apparently responsible for most of the murders and murder attempts in the empire, is there nothing I can really do to him lol

You can always try murdering him right back. If he’s a known murderer there’ll probably be dozens of people lining up to be agents.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Another small nitpick: I wish that when people called you into wars it was clearer about what the hell the war is about. You have to click through like 5 screens to figure out what county they're talking about and whether they're defending it or trying to take it.

One cause of this is the way wars are titled. It's really weird that a king would ask you to join the war "against the tyranny of" himself, or a "liberty war" when it's somebody else wanting liberty from him. Surely he'd think of it in different terms than that. And if he is himself a vassal, he might be asking you to defend him against his vassals, or to help him attack his liege, and the war title will be the same either way.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Charlz Guybon posted:

My nephew has 100+ relation to me. Why is supporting some random unlanded relative for the throne against me? I could understand if he was plotting to get the throne himself, but this doesn't make sense.

Electoral votes are based on a completely separate score. Opinion goes into it, but so do a bunch of other things. And even then, as mentioned, it can be overridden by hooks.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Chocobo posted:

or did I just have too many children for poo poo to be divided between?

It's this. Nearly everybody in CK3 starts out with (and, until a mid-game tech, is locked to) a succession scheme called "partition," which divides up your lands among eligible kids when you die. Moreover, they mostly use "confederate partition," which will actually create duchies/kingdoms/empires for those kids when possible. The best solution is to never take sufficient land to where you're able to create a second title that's at the same tier as your main title (unless you'll then be able to create the next tier above it) and to have as few sons as possible.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Chocobo posted:

So, breed one good heir, then murder the other baby boys or send them on suicide missions and marry little baby girls off to prestigious families?

Yep. I like to marry the eldest daughter matrilineally, so that if worst comes to worst and all the sons die, she'll inherit and the main title will stay in the family.

Note that you can't directly plot to kill your own children, but you can make your loser 2-prowess son be a knight, put him in every dangerous battle, and then weep very convincing tears when he bites it in a way that is entirely not your fault.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

Maybe it means “live ancestors”?

Yeah, it's this.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

toasterwarrior posted:

The definition of "realm" trips me up because I assume that's, you know, your kingdom or duchy? I'm already familiar with demesne from CK2, and that's like, what you personally own.

Your realm is the entire area held by you or by one of your vassals (or your vassals' vassals, etc.), if that's what you're asking.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

"One of the following." So normally you need 2 kingdoms, but if you're already an emperor that counts.

e: I really wish they put bullets in there instead of just insetting, especially because they're sometimes inconsistent on the spacing anyhow.

megane fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Sep 26, 2020

megane
Jun 20, 2008

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Can you not integrate over sea provinces? I’d like to make sardinia part of a Kingdom of Sicily and Sardinia but the option isn’t available. Destroyed the Corsica and Sardinia kingdom already.

Drift doesn't care about physical location. Stuff only drifts into your primary title for some reason, so duchies will never drift in if you're an emperor. That might be the problem.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Is there any benefit to moving my capital to the De Jure capital of my empire?

As far as I can tell, the only mechanical impact of the "de jure capital" is that you can move your capital there regardless of the normal cooldown. But it could be that there's some hidden effect somewhere.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Ice Fist posted:

Is there any point to founding a holy order aside from checking something off a list? They get a barony, but that barony then gets added to my number of holdings. I though maybe the first time I did it and I gave them a castle it might be because feudal rulers can hold castle baronies, so I dumped the first one I made and decades later founded a new order and gave them a city, but that still counts. I also never get to hire them because some chuckle gently caress in the middle of nowhere hires them the moment they're free and then they all get slaughtered anyways.

I found it useful when I reformed Asatru. Since my religion was small, they actually made a difference -- yeah, I didn't get to use them much, but it was because they were constantly busy bashing Catholics for my vassals and allies. It's less of a benefit for you, and more of a gift to your religion.

It'd be cool if being their patron earned you piety when they got hired or something. Also, if there were more ways to interact with them, like donating troops and equipment or having them go off and carve out a realm of their own, Teutonic Order style.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

It's sort of weird that peasant leaders start a noble house and dress in fancy clothes as soon as they rebel. If they win, sure, meet the new boss same as the old boss. But they should look like farmers until then.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

There's a mod which bans knights with under a certain amount of Prowess, if that helps.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

My guess is it’s another symptom of the wonky estimation of strength. They should start building up to a revolt as soon as one is crushed... but they should wait until they actually pose a threat, instead of revolting with 800 guys spread between three provinces and getting instantly massacred.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I at least meant they should be stronger but also less frequent. They happen so often because they overestimate their strength and thus gain whatever the “readiness to revolt” stat is called super fast.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The abduct -> demand confession thing was stupidly overpowered, but is there any way to spread your religion at all now, other than conquering everything and having your priest convert them one county at a time?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I thought she just got a special event/decision to force realm succession to female preference rather than setting it manually? I haven't played her so I'm not 100% on that.

Yes, it's an event that fires soon after you start. What the other poster is describing is that, if you later reform the religion and leave its gender doctrine at equal, the female-preference succession you got from the event is immediately and silently replaced by equal succession, and then there's no way to put it back because doing so requires high authority, not to mention a bunch of other requirements. If you want it to stay female-preference, you have to change the religion to be female-dominated.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

They could do a whole expansion around regencies, puppet rulers, councils seizing the reins, etc. Regencies were sort of boring in CK2, but mostly because there wasn’t a lot to do during them; there should lots of events and ways to fight for control as you grow up (or fade into insanity, whatever). Making education deeper and more interactive would help a lot as well, so you can spend your regency years learning intrigue and making childhood friends so you can have your regent thrown in a volcano the day you turn 16.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

It's really annoying that heresies of the big Faith's always seem to be at 100% fervor. In my game Insular Christianity has taken over all of the British Isles, and have pockets of adherents on the mainland as well. In addition to the fervor difference Insular also has a 30% conversion resistance, and so a single province takes 25 years of my Bishop's time to convert, which is ridiculous.

Do heresies just not get the sinful clergy events or whatever? Nobody is holy warring them, I don't know why it pegs so high.

The Fervor growth over time is based on the religion's size; smaller faiths have it grow faster. I'm sure this was done with good intentions, but the effect is just that any faith smaller than, say, Orthodoxy has 100% Fervor always.