Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Nice thread title! Game looks great from what I've seen, can't wait to create a dynasty of bumbling Blackadders :ese:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Torrannor posted:

One issue with Imperator was mismanaged expectations. A lot of people thought they would get an EU-CK hybrid, but that's not what happened. Especially those coming from CK2 were disappointed by the lack of character/RPG focus.

That's what happened to me. I though I was getting CK2 in Rome (which is probably my fault for not researching more thoroughly?) and wound up super disappointed.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

I could use some help here. I've got a courtier with a useful unpressed claim, but I can't for the life of me understand how I press it. I can go to war against the current owner and use "Claim country", but that would just give me the county (which I could then pass on to the claimant, sure), but I want to press his claim and I don't understand how. There's no casus belli for "Press character X's claim to county Y".

Also, my rag-tag army was in dire need of some champions, so I sent the heralds out to invite mighty warriors to my realm. Got a couple of ok dudes, but one was far better than the others. 18 Prowess, Brave, Legendary Blademaster...and Bleeder/Haemophiliac? The slightest nick will endanger his life, you say? Guess he had no other option than to be that good.

E:

Tetramin posted:

My 3 learning ruler was invited to a feast by one of his vassals. Where the vassal carried on a long conversation dryly praising me on how much of a genius I am while my king was spilling soup on himself lol

This happened to me too and had me roaring with laughter. Straight out of Blackadder! The writing in this game is so good!

Freudian slippers fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Sep 4, 2020

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Kyle Hyde posted:

Pressing a claim is going to war. The difference between a pressed and unpressed claim is that pressed claims can be inherited. In your case you're best off just pressing that guys claim and winning the war. There are situations where, say, you have an unpressed claim on a kingdom and while you have no hope right now of winning that war, you do it anyway to press the claim. You lose, but then your kids have a claim on the kingdom and maybe they're better equipped to do it.

Well yes, but shouldn't there be two different casus belli options? Even with a claimant in my court I only have the same CB I've always had (concquer single country as tribal). There seems to be no point in having a claimant in my court. Basically, I want him to have the "pressed my claim" positive modifier.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Kyle Hyde posted:

Oh, yeah it should be its own CB option. I don't remember exactly what it says, but it should say both on the button and explain that he gets the title in the details. It's definitely distinct from the standard tribal conquest CB. Is the title he's a claimant to a neighboring county? If so, then the tribal CB is probably better because it just gives you control of the county rather than him. If you definitely wanted to vassalize him, then he would gain that modifier after you conquered his claim and he became your vassal.

Yeah, I can certainly use the tribal CB and then give him the title, it's just weird that the game tells me I can press his claim, but there seems to be no actual way to do it.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Dumb question I can't find the answer to: I'm thinking of doing an easter slavic or baltic run, centered around raiding. Will I be able to raid if I later go feudal? How does religion effect raiding?

E:

Dwesa posted:

Only tribals or unreformed pagans can raid. You can also raid for captives if you have human sacrifices tenet.

Thanks! Meat's back on the menue, boys!

Freudian slippers fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Nov 24, 2020

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Magil Zeal posted:

Something's up with Duchy Claims, it seems like going to war for them isn't giving me the whole duchy anymore, even if, for example, the counties I don't get are owned by a count who doesn't have land anywhere outside the duchy. Very strange. Might need to lean more heavily on holy wars, at least they aren't causing as much fervor loss now.

Are you sure the character you are fighting owns the entire duchy? It seems you can have the option to go to war for a duchy with another character who doesn't own all of it. Though yesterday, I went to war for an entire kingdom and only got part of it, so :shrug:

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

OK, so I created a custom jewish count, placed him in Acre and decided to try to form the kingdom of Jerusalem. This will obviously upset the Abbasids, but so far I've managed to butter up both my liege, the emir and the caliph. I'm still a count, but now with 4 counties spread over two duchies. Question: Should I try to become a duke myself? When I tried something like this in CK2, the caliph just revoked my duchies willy-nilly, can he do the same thing in CK3? Would I be better off as an uber-count?

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Being best buddies with the caliph means I can ask for (and get) a pardon when the emir asks me to convert, so I'm not too worrried about that (though this may turn out differently when it's the caliph's own orders I refuse) . What I am worried about, is that the caliph in CK2 was able to revoke duchies without penalties and apparently had a very low threshold for doing so. Does he have the same powers in CK3?

E:

SlothBear posted:

Try to get a hook so that when you do you can immediately get religious protection.

Sorry, what's religious protection? Can my jewish ruler get that from the caliph?

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Ah, thanks! Yeah, I don't think that's an option in this scenario, sadly. Is there a way I can see the caliph's crown authority whilst only a being a count myself? Can't seem to figure that one out.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

scaterry posted:

I'm pretty sure non-islamic custom rulers start as feudal. In that case you can modify your feudal contract to have Title Revocation: Protected, and not have to worry about anything.

You are right, that is indeed an option, thanks! Will this carry over if I go from count to duke, or will I have to get another hook on the caliph? Thanks again!

E: Religious protection also seems to be on the table, so the Abbasids may be in for a rough couple of years :ese:

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Much obliged!

E: And enter Crusade, stage left....

Freudian slippers fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 11, 2021

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Count Saul of Jerusalem could really use some advice here...

As mentioned above, I am a jewish count in the Abbasid empire. I have complete control of the counties in Palestine, but no claim on the Emirate. There seems to be little point in going to war for independence, since the emir has 3 duchies and I wouldn't be able to usurp a title equal to his primary title anyway.

If I were able to marry my son to someone with a claim and pressed her claim (and won), she would then become the duchess, right? What happens then, if she has an unfortunate accident (assuming they don't have children)? Does my son become the duke or does the duchy move on to another claimant?

My son already has one son from another marriage. Would he (my grandson) eventually inherit the duchy?

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

Marry your son to someone with a pressed claim, and their children will inherit a claim you can press eventually.

Alternatively one of the lifestyle trees lets you scheme your way to a claim on your liege's title, probably do that.

Thanks, but the child that would inherit would not be my player heir (since I've already got a son), so that might not lead to the desired result. Option 2 looks better, though sadly his primary title is not the one I want. It would make me a duke, though, which is nice. I had completely forgotten about that possibility, so thanks :)

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Tippis posted:

…and the actual outliner and people-tracker, which is what made those settings so immensely helpful.

Oh God, yes.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

alcaras posted:

Ah that makes sense; thank you!

Is there a way to filter to people who aren't heirs to titles? I guess 'Not Ruler' and 'No Claims' works.

It was already mentioned, but just wanted to make sure you saw it: you can filter on "lowborn". They won't be inheriting anything.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

So there I was out hunting alongside my dear friend the earl of Hastings, when suddenly he tells me of my wife's terrible secret. It turns out she's loving the earl of Hastings.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

"too bad the wolf got you both"

On one hand, I'm somewhat miffed by the cucking, but you've got to admire the man's honesty and integrity.

E:

Reveilled posted:

Did you make fun of his love of shrimp?.
https://youtu.be/vGaHqk2NJPI?t=24

Listen, if you'd only seen how he stuffed his face at the feast...

E2: gently caress it, I'm gonna befriend him. We're gonna be bros :hfive:

Freudian slippers fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 23, 2021

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Hargrimm posted:

Found another bug to be aware of. If you have either your steward raising development or your marshal raising control in a county in a saved game, when you load the game it appears that their BASE skill is somehow used to set the monthly progress they make and it won't update until you set them on another task and then back. So your godlike 30 stewardship guy is only having the effect of the 8 stewardship that are his absolute base before education, traits, etc. Randomly saw it reported on the official forums and did some digging, I'm 95% sure that's what's happening, something to do with the order scripts are executed during the process of loading a game. If you've had your steward just untouched raising development in your capital forever, over the course of many saves and loads, you have definitely wasted a whole lot of potential growth.

Before:

After:

Son of a bitch. That explains a lot...

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

I'm playing as England, and have implemented Saxon elective in the kingdoms of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. So far, so good, most electors will vote for my choice of heir, and he'll inherit all kingdoms as well as all my three duchies and all my 8 counties, the whole lot.

I then founded the empire and now his brothers are picking up counties due to "the realm's partitioning laws".

The empire has Saxon elective, all kingdoms have Saxon elective and the three duchies that are now getting split up have Saxon elective.

Someone please help.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Serephina posted:

The electives cover that title only. De Jure Vassal titles (eg counties) will have their own inheritence rules, aka the normal confederate partition stuff your crown authority demands. The good news is that if random failson gets a single county that was formerly part of your domain, he'll have a grand total of <500 troops to defend it with while your real heir has a strong claim on it. I'll take less than two months to take everything back from a half dozen siblings in a simultaneous 1v6 war. And no real hard feelings for it either!

Thanks! Is it possible to change county inheritance laws as well? I would have thought that'd be covered by the duchy's law. Also, why was this not a problem before I founded the empire?

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Magil Zeal posted:

There's almost so much to do now it feels manic at times. If I wanted to focus wholly on travel and activities I'd never be able to go to war. And I can never host enough Grand Weddings for all of my children and grandchildren, even though I took the perk that boosts them and built Leisure Palaces. I almost never find time to host a feast or a hunt even!

You can absolutely go to war whilst engaged in activities. I've just been beating up my brother for the Empire of Germania whilst simultaniously hosting a grand wedding for my second born son. No, the first born didn't get one, because I forgot. Quit sulking Thierry.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

how are y’all affording so many grand weddings all my funds are tied up in my tourney budget

Technically, it's my vassals who are paying for it :agesilaus:

Dwesa posted:

Unless you're personally leading armies, you can go to activities.

I think one of goals of activities might be befriending someone, don't remember whether it applies to Hunts

I attempted to ally with the pope during a wedding. The alliance first succeeded, then auto-failed because we were no longer married (wtf, the wedding was for neither of us), but then we became friends anyway!

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

Not only did it happen again but I fought an extra war (as a treat) and it happened there too. After the wars the person I fought against is still there, still in power. No one is dying, didn't capture anyone this time, the game just decides that anytime I get close to winning to pass the war to a more powerful enemy so I have to give up. There were no notifications prior to this one besides the usual domestic stuff.

EDIT: I was about to start a war for the county to the west but realized that it was in a different duchy, but that the county to the south is the only other one in the same duchy. So if I can grab it I can create the duchy and then the vassals in those counties will stop complaining that I'm not their dejure liege.

Just happened to me. My opponent lost their title to another claimant and I had to continue the war against the new ruler. Multiple simultaneous wars can happen.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Does anyone else suddenly have a problem with the game becoming sluggish and unresponsive? Loading (and also) saving now suddenly takes forever, and it seems to get worse for each day :(

I've been saving for two minutes straight now and this isn't normal...

E: Loading a game now takes 10-15 minutes. This only started a few days ago and has become worse and worse. Send help!

Freudian slippers fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 22, 2023

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

I'd like to play norse, but with Mystical Ancestors. However, I'm not interested in hybrid cultures, I just want plain norse with this extra tradition. Is there any way of making this happen? Cheats, mods?

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Thanks!

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

I was playing as a Jewish vassal under the Abbasid empire and had (through copious amounts of murder) finagled my way into a regency and a very favourable jizya contract. Then, I got a pop-up that some random fellow vassal had started an indenpendence faction (no mention of me) and then suddenly, I became independent (and thus fair game for everyone else in the area). What happened? I have no option to swear allegice to my former liege. I like to think that he just found me too bothersome and gave me independence to get rid of me, but a bunch of other vassals (who might have been in the faction for all I know) are also independent...

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

scaterry posted:

Sounds like a dissolution faction pressed their demands and the Abbasids gave up without a fight. Are you sure it was an independence faction?

I don't know what happened. The caliph is still the caliph with multiple vassals, though fewer than he used to have. Seems like I was just chucked into the independence faction randomly? I have been forced into a faction earlier (someone had a hook on a previous character), but at least I got a mention that I was forced into the Independence faction. Nevertheless, I'm 99% sure no-one had a hook on my character this time. Can an NPC liege just dump you for being a murderous, conniving, son-of-a-gun?

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

scaterry posted:

Sounds like a dissolution faction pressed their demands and the Abbasids gave up without a fight. Are you sure it was an independence faction?

Serephina posted:

It's not a common thing so there might be details I'm unfamiliar with but it really does sound like a dissolution faction fired off. Check out your previous liege; does he still have the title that you swore allegiance to?

I've never been granted independence voluntarily before, would have no idea what the popup would even look like.

Upon checking closer, it appears that you guys were right. Must have been a dissolution faction. He actually doesn't have multiple vassals like I said, only a lot of titles. That's what I get for murdering all his older brothers, forcing his father to make me his guardian and making him craven, I guess.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

I'm playing on iron man right now, so I'd like some advice before I try this out. I've got too many children and the golden one is too far down the inheritance line. I know that you can force rebellious vassals to renounce their claims after you win the war and imprison them, but will I still get that option if I imprison my unlanded, innocent children? I know there's going to be tyranny, but I can live with that, I just want to remove a bunch of losers from the inheritance line. Can I do so via imprisonment and renounce claims, or am I forced to execute the lot?

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Reveilled posted:

Your kids have implicit claims rather than actual claims, and you can’t force them to renounce those because they don’t become real claims until you die. If you’re a religion with monasticism you can force prisoners to take vows which removes them from the line of succession (though some prisoners might refuse, unless you have a hook), but you can’t do this to primary or secondary heirs. I think you could imprison your third, forth, fifth etc. kids and make them take vows until your desired child is third in line, then arrange for the deaths of your first and second born.

I think, anyway, it’s been a while since I did this!

Serephina posted:

Vows are much more likely to be taken if they're not next in line, so start far down and work your way back up. Execution is turbo evil, conversely it's hard to find legitimate reasons to use capital punishment. Disinheritance is easy and merely impolite, but quite expensive.

Having your kids "accidentally" die would be most convenient, but unless you're sadistic you're gonna have to do something really game-y to have that happen with ease. Forcing them to be knights and taking bad fights kinda works!

--------------

edit: The 'real' way of doing this (assuming partition is still active and you can't just nominate your favorite) is to do something awfully game-y and put an elective law on your primary title and just let all the other kids inherit random stuff. This is really, really messy as it fudges with normal inheritance and your player heir might not get your capital, it can get ugly. BUT! He will also get all your cash and armies and has legit claims on all the stuff that just got handed over to mister no-allies-no-armies, so it's trivial to retake it all within a few short years. It's also extremely optimal play and quite boring and game-y (I'm gonna keep using that word) and goes against the spirit of things. Accepting the chaos of confed partition is probably the most elegant way of handling things, and/or taking the later start date if you don't want to wait until the game is over before you get to use more toys.

Thanks guys. Figured it was something like this. Guess it's "knight-knight" for a few bookish poindexters... Luckily, I'm playing as Israel, so I'll justify it as a David/Uriah homage.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Said it before and I’ll say it again, it will be more fun if you play as whichever dipshit heir you get instead of taking it to the best one

Never!

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

I've never engaged with the hostage mechanics. Will the AI kill your lovely heir-hostage if you declare war?

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Thanks! This bears further scrutiny.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Josef bugman posted:

Quick question but are there any fun mods people can recommend?

The Game of Thrones mod is insanely kick-rear end!

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Dallan Invictus posted:

Yeah, player characters have opinions of every other character the same way AIs do, and they're independent of the reverse opinion.

They don't MATTER since the player controls their actions but events and stuff will still affect them since of course AIs can trigger events or take decisions, and they're still tracked since of course you can switch characters at any time.

I've actually missed this a lot (it was in CK2 I believe). A lot of times I forget that I should be mad at (or grateful to) some dude and seeing my opinion of them would really help the role-playing aspect of the game.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

I was thinking about getting Wards and Wardens, what's the goonsensus on it? Friends and Foes was an absolute hot mess and riddled with bugs, I'd rather avoid a similar experience...

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

Probably you cant avoid the bugs by not buying the DLC, they usually come with the update

As for the DLC itself, its very light on features, barely makes a difference imo

edit: speaking of bugs, game is still barely playable on linux, crashing all the time. They didint say anything about that

Thanks for the reply, guess I'll pass on W&W. The bugs or poorly designed gameplay that mainly annoyed me in F&F, were related to the feud system and so a part of the DLC itself.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

geworfenheit posted:

long term friendships would be very useful in all paradox games, where the game keeps scores of all historical relations and diplomacy, so that countries have favourites.

pretty much like reality.

I've always wanted this. You raised my dad who was a mud-blooded herring gelder to nobility and gave him two duchies which I have now inherited, but gently caress you put me on the council or I revolt. A little gratitude would go a long way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think the fantasy people want is something a bit Game of Thrones inspired where like, the Umbars or White Harbor people have this basically eternal loyalty to the Starks that becomes mythologized in the family Lore because this great kindness gets passed down as part of the House's family tradition. Some going back to my previous thing it'd be neat if there was also Family traits like "Loyal Bannermen" where a House is just vastly more likely to produce loyalists.

Yeah, a little something like this. I remember I had a run in CK2 where I was really up against it, but managed to snag a kick rear end commoner general who saved my bacon numerous times. I put him on my council, went out of my way to find a lovely lady to marry him to, heaped land and titles upon him and when my character died, he took one look at my heir, decided that the thirty year long friendship with his dad did not outweigh his disgust over the "short reign penalty" and promptly rebelled. So I put him down, and had him executed. Would have been cool to have them carry on the bonds of friendship, though.

Dallan Invictus posted:

If you're open to modding, Inheritable Relations and Houses Traditions are great for this.

I kinda think House Traditions makes houses run too much to type but YMM, of course, V.

Yeah, something like this might do the trick. Thanks!