Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Does anyone have any good tips on a Zoroastrian->Sayoshyant run? I did the one in CKII but there you could start as a duke in 769 which made it a bit easier. I read on Reddit that a guy did it as the count of Gilan swearing fealty to the Abbasids but I tried it and failed because the Caliph really wants to convert you and become the ward of your children. In CKII you could fake-convert to Islam but as there is no such option in CKIII.... What to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

SlothBear posted:

Is all the information about culture changes compiled in one place anywhere?

Probably not exactly what you are looking for but I found this video interesting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0i4oRvrFjE

I am really looking forward to this expansion, looks very good!

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

IncredibleIgloo posted:

So I just started playing this a few days ago, but have a lot of experience with other Paradox games. What I want to do is play as one of the off-shoot Christian religions, the messalianism sect. It seems that this automatically gives all adjoining countries a Holy War CB against me. I take it that it is pretty much impossible to play as any of these like 20 heresies that they have available? First game I started in Italy and was war decc'd within the first year. Second game I started on Ireland and had absorbed a few more counties then William the Conqueror and all 20k of his troops declared on me. I am getting the feeling that if you want to play with any of their neat religions you have to start as vanilla catholic, get to a point where you are pretty untouchable/won the game effectively, then switch religions?

There was a video released recently where a really good player does this, play as a messalian character in the heart of the HRE. Even he had to concede defeat several times as it is really hard but it can be done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTE4bus03w8

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
So which character/county will everyone play when it is released?
I've been waiting on the expansion to try one of the Tamil culture characters to try and do this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53ypupxhNDc

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Quorum posted:

Personally I've been holding off on this so I could play a Han Taoist ruler and build a harmonious Silk Road state.

Great idea, good luck when the mongols appear! :)

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

BigglesSWE posted:

The bland way they treat The Black Death is a real bummer to me. It’s one of the truly transforming events of European history and it’s just not that impactful in game.

I know I know, dlc down the line, I’m just saying.

I think it might be an over correction from Paradox because in CK2 the black death could easily completely ruin your game by killing almost everyone. I am still salty about it ruining my Venice game by killing off all the other merchant families completely.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

After the End Fan Fork had a bug in one of their recent patches which made it so that none of the AI secluded themselves during the Red Death (anthrax), and so 70% of the characters in-game got wiped out. Entire family trees of 100+ characters were gone. My own family tree of 250 got whittled down to 80. Lot of interesting marriages suddenly occurred afterwards.

It was pretty cool but then the next patch fixed it. I think seclusion in CK2 should only have a chance of preventing disease.

Sounds like my experience in unmodded CK2. The AI characters did seclude themselves but they never did anything about characters that were inside with them that had the disease so they all died anyway. It is weird seeing most characters reach 60+ years old but I prefer it compared to how it was in CK2.
And I think Paradox made the best choice between realism and playability, CK2 was kind of frustrating to play with all the diseases, especially republics since you relied so much on having a large family.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Elias_Maluco posted:

In CK2 diseases got too common and too powerful after the plague DLC (forgot the name), its wanst always like that

And I appreciate that they decided to tone that down in CK3, but now its gone too far, I think

Yeah I know, I played CK2 during its entire "lifetime" but I will admit that I stopped after having my Venice game ruined by the black death. It's probably a hard thing to balance but I do agree with that they toned it down too much in CK3, I am sure there will be some future expansion that adds it back though, just like adding things such as hospitals and player manors like we got in CK2.

The Royal Court expansion is almost here now, just 25 more minutes to go, perfect time to watch this video on 8 interesting Royal Court starts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMxkvlPU2ro

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Dallan Invictus posted:

Update is live on Steam, not sure if the DLC itself is unlocked yet.

It is.
Restart steam if you don't have the update yet.
Edit: The DLC is available on Steam and is listed as owned but the launcher doesn't recognize it. Im dying over here send help.

TjyvTompa fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Feb 8, 2022

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Ok NOW the DLC is out for real, lets go!

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I love it when you try to follow a youtube "tutorial" and it is immediately obvious that the guy didn't do it in ironman mode for a reason. He cheated. Guess this Tamil run will take a bit longer than expected.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Does anyone find the vassals much more hard to handle? I had 3 vassals who all had 55-65 in relationship with me start a war for my crown. I thought I read in the patchnotes that it shouldn't be like that? They were all of my family, brothers even, same culture, same language.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I mentioned it last night that I had an issue with vassals forming factions despite high relationship and today when I check the steam forums there are several people complaining about the same thing so there is obviously some kind of issue here.
I saw someone here mentioning that they had someone constantly form a faction and then disbanding it, I have not seen that myself but several others on the steam forums mentioned it happening to them too.

There is also an exploit that allows you to get out of being called into your ally's wars without taking a prestige hit but I will let Paradox figure that one out themselves because I am abusing the gently caress out of it :smuggo:

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

pidan posted:

Something has changed about how the characters are rendered, maybe the skin texture / eyes. At first glance I really hate it, closed the game for now. Maybe I'll get used to it as time goes on.

There is a confirmed bug related to how characters look so hopefully it will get fixed soon: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/ck-iii-portraits-look-messed-up-specifically-in-the-eyes.1509654/

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

SirPhoebos posted:

My son keeps forming a faction against me only to disband it instantly. This happens a few times each month. Very bizarre.

Is it a faction to install someone else with a claim while that claimant is imprisoned by you? That is what seems to happen.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Sankis posted:

What's a fun start these days? I've done the larger viking factions, and 1066's Apulia (which seems much harder now?) and Ireland to death at this point. What's something that's not too hard to start but also allows for a fun bit of growth and decisions to pursue.
Some ideas here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMxkvlPU2ro

Personally I am doing a south indian Tamil game right now and while it is not as intense as playing in Europe it is quite fun once you get going.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

toasterwarrior posted:

I'm still trying to figure out why the succession mechanics are not giving my player heir (and also my actual primary heir, per election) the capitals of the two duchies he supposedly is going to inherit, and instead giving him some random county in said duchies. I can deal with him getting less counties than his brothers and then slugging it out afterward, but if he's in line to get the duchy title then he clearly should be getting the capital of the duchy. Why is this not happening?

Who are you playing as and what is the succession law?
Do you have any mods, any at all?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Tankbuster posted:

The trick is to be under a muslim ruler and marry into other local zoroastrians.

Can you explain this in more detail?

I did this in CKII so I know how to do it but I was not able to in CK3 since you can't "fake convert" to Islam and you liege will just pester you constantly about converting, educating your children, revoking your titles, imprisoning you and then finally executing you. I have seen tutorials on youtube and it is so obvious that they cheat it's not even funny. "*non ironman game start* Play as this count *snip* now I am the head of my large duchy after some easy wars *snip* ok next I did was to declare war on this guy and win and now I am a King".
I have been made aware of that a huge amount of people also use cheatengine to cheat in ironman mode from seeing many people cry about it not working after the update, I guess they just need updated addresses for cheat engine. Anyway I am just very salty since it seems nobody can tell me in detail how to actually do it in CK3. And to be clear, I am not accusing you of cheating, I am just very salty about this :qq:

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

pidan posted:

You can't have a secret religion, but presumably you can actually convert and then convert back for the achievement? Other than that, it's possible to get religious protection from your liege via hooks.

Whorelord posted:

Do you have to start as Zoroastrian for that achievement? Shah Ya'qub in eastern Iran starts in a powerful position, you could start as him and then conquer Persia/Daylam. By then you should be strong enough not to worry about other Islamic powers, then convert to Zoroastrianism which iirc is pretty cheap as far as piety costs go.

lamao checking the requirements I just realized there is no achievement in CK3 for reforming Zoroastrianism, now I feel kind of stupid
Thank's for the tips though, I might try that Shah Ya'qub thing anyway.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Was there an expansion pass? I seem to already own the DLC.

Crusader Kings 3 Royal Edition
Includes 5 items: Crusader Kings III, Crusader Kings III: Fashion of the Abbasid Court, Crusader Kings III: Royal Court, Crusader Kings III: Northern Lords, Crusader Kings III: Flavor Pack 2

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
What happens if I borrow money from a holy order? It says "If you don't pay them back they will start making demands." So, how long do I have to pay them back? What demands will they make?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Hihohe posted:

So thanks to this thread, the Bindi religion has been reformed, now all i need is to get more cultural tech innovations.

Any recommendations on how to get these faster?

Build tradeports, use the increase development mission. Use the learning tree and become a scholar.
I am doing my Tamil run right now and it is insane. Yes I got extremely lucky and I will probably finish the techtree event faster than the guy who did the tutorial that I posted earlier (check my posts in this thread for that video).

This is in 987AD and I have more development than Constantinople:

This is without any cheats in ironman, money has been really tight so no elephants yet though, not sure how the youtube guy managed that. However I have abused the exploit to not have to join my allies wars :cool:

TjyvTompa fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Feb 10, 2022

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Hihohe posted:

drat unfortunately im in Ghana and i am entirely in an entirely landlocked country. Should i fight to the sea or something?

You don't have to use tradeports, they just give you a petty good bonus. There are other buildings that increase development too. I think the most important part is to use the learning tree and learning education to play characters with high learning and use the increase development mission. But unless you really, really lean into it you will probably be better off just playing the game and get a good capital duchy. Use the development mapmode to find where the highest developed provinces are in your area and try to conquer them.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

sloppy portmanteau posted:

I'm relatively new to the CK games and I'm trying to reform a religion, Ásatrú, for the first time. I saw the popup warning that the beliefs can never be changed once reformed, so I was wondering if that only apply to tenants or is the whole thing set in stone after reformation?

I was going to just start out with gender equality, but I guess I'll be needing more. I was intending to finish off creating the Scandinavian Empire, and I'm not too far off, and then just sit back and play the dynasty game. What else should I change in Ásatrú to make that fun? I'm not sure if I'll be needing blót after reforming for example, but probably still be conquering kingdoms outside my boarders to give to my family and make independant, so warmonger is still useful I think. Keep in mind my ruler is 55 years old so I might not be able to get a boatload more of piety.

How refreshing to see such innocent thoughts, just sit back and relax after you have created the empire. You will see that when you form the empire the real game begins, good luck keeping it together. You will need it :)
I would suggest picking some tenents that give you +relationship with your vassals and also some way of punishing them. You will want to be able to revoke titles without incurring tyranny for sure.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

scaterry posted:

You can dev way, way faster. People have hit 100 dev in that time. And this patch, the industrious tradition is so overpowered its possible to hit 100 dev before early medieval even starts

I did read about it, you can do it in Sjaelland. But how do people get enough money to build all the holdings that are needed? You need thousands and thousands of gold to do it and you can't get enough by raiding since you also need to expand to get a bigger army to be able to raid. I am skeptical that it can be done in ironman mode.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Tamba posted:

How can my son be the founder of my dynasty? Did he discover time travel?

There are several bugs related to the norse dynasties right now, I've seen several listed as Confirmed on the official bug report forum.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Guildencrantz posted:

How's the AI this patch? I'm really interested in buying RC and jumping back in, but I'm wary as big patches in Paradox games tend to break the AI and make it behave in incredibly stupid ways until they fix it. Is this the case here as well?

People have reported bugs where the AI armies just stand around doing nothing, or even worse, walking away from the area. I have not noticed any of these though. Your allies are very good at sieging and supporting you in battles, 10/10, I am very happy.
There is one issue with the AI though, that is in pretty much all the paradox games, and that is that the AI will never surrender. They will fight to the bitter end no matter the cause, they will go heavily into debt, have their vassals killed/executed in the war and let their own country get completely ruined no matter the wargoal. For example if you declare war on a huge empire for a single county the AI will happily ruin their entire country forever just to stop you. They will happily surrender to some peasants with 50% army strength though when they send an ultimatum.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I made Witchcraft accepted for my own religion on a whim and wow, this poo poo is GOOD. I am currently in the process of inducting everyone in my empire to witchcraft using the "convert to witchcraft" scheme.
It gives you -1 diplomacy but +1 to intrigue and learning AND a +20 relationship bonus with other witches.

TjyvTompa fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 11, 2022

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

binge crotching posted:

The witch coven is so good, but I wish it was a dynasty modifier and not a house modifier, or maybe have it come with an extra diplo action just for converting people.

Better would be to make it so that if you have the Witch Coven modifier on your house, everyone is automatically born with either the secret or the trait depending upon criminality. I really hate dedicating every single ruler's entire life to adding my family into the coven, at some point I just give up and ignore it, completely defeating the purpose of forming the coven in the first place.

If you are a witch you will get the option to induct the person you are a ward for (educating) making all your children automatic members. I hope they too induct their children, haven't played long enough with it to see if they do.

Edit: I also added the "Esoterism" tenent to my religion making everyone that has a learning education gain the mystic trait which gives you access to this decision:
Hold Mystical Communion
+300 learning lifestyle experience
+1 martial and learning
-25% stress gain
+25% stress loss

It lasts for 5 years and you can do it every 5 years. The learning lifestyle/education is seriously overpowered coupled with the health bonuses + whole of body you get. None of my rulers have died before the age of 72 now.

TjyvTompa fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 11, 2022

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

binge crotching posted:

After a generation or two, nope. About half your house will be a witch, the other half you spend your entire life bringing into the coven. And then you die, and repeat it all over with the next ruler.

It's a crazy powerful decision and so good to have, but it needs some TLC from Paradox to make it an automatic thing.

Yes I agree, I am spending like 90% of my time just making sure every single person of my dynasty has the learning education now and adding the witch stuff to it....we'll see how long I can keep this up without getting bored.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
There is some bug with Scandinavian Elective where it doesn't count the votes correctly so if you have created an Empire, or are about to, as a Norse character you should probably wait for a patch. The bug doesn't seem to happen right away, it can take a few generations to show up.

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

I have experienced 0 of the bugs that have been complained about so far in about 15 hours of playing.

There is a huge amount of bugs in the new patch/DLC but personally I have not seen any apart from the fact that vassals create/join factions even while at 100 relationship after a succession. The only way I've found to get them out of factions so far is to give them a title. You can see the bug reports here: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/forums/crusader-kings-iii-bug-report.1077/

TjyvTompa fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 11, 2022

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I'm a suni seljuk offshoot, I have the southern coast of asia minor and the entire duchy of anatolia, how the gently caress do I form RUM?

Confirmed bug:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/ck-iii-sultanate-of-rum-decision-disappeared.1509994/

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Am I the only one with the issue that the AI starts factions at every succession no matter how much they like you? Even at +100 relationship they will start and/or join factions. First they do the "decrease crown authority" one and if you cave into that one they will immediately start/join a "install claimant on throne" faction and you have to fight them. Then they will start a "Gain Empire" faction if there is someone who can. It is insane, the only thing that works to get them out of a faction is to give them a title.

When I check the title history for all the other empires in the game it's just an endless list of "Installed by faction demand".

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Magil Zeal posted:

I haven't play-tested the new patch long enough to really notice, but it seems there is a new game rule to adjust the frequency of factions.

It's not the frequency that is the problem, for me, it is that they create and join factions despite being at +70 relationship. The way to stop them from joining factions is to have a high relationship with them, what else is the point of relationship? I just want to make it clear, every single vassal that can join a faction (not your ally or prohibited from joining a faction due to other reasons) will join a faction no matter if they like you or not. This is not how it is supposed to work.

As my empire grows larger it will get more and more impossible to keep it together since I will have bigger and bigger civil wars each succession. It's kind of game-breaking to be honest and I am getting really salty about it. As I said I checked the title history for the other AI empires and all of them have "installed by faction demand" as the most common succession since it is impossible to win a war that every single vassal joins no matter how powerful the rulers demesne is. Once you have had 1 of each type of faction created and defeated it will stop though so if you survive that initial onslaught you will be able to play without issue until your ruler dies.
It almost seems like there is some kind of issue where the game forces each type of faction to be created and once it has been done it stops. When old vassals die and get replaced the new ones never create or join factions.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Had something really strange happen, one of my dynasty members created a hybrid culture using my culture and it caused all counties to convert to this new culture, including my own capital. So while I still have control over my culture as dynasty head I don't actually control any counties with this culture. It will take 29 years for my steward to convert my capital back to my culture. Pretty annoying for sure.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
It's almost 6AM and I've spent the past 4 hours at 5 speed just clicking a billion times but I finally did it, I formed India. I realized the way to beat the factions is to pump out endless amount of women that you can marry off to all your vassals to get alliances with them. Since you can have 4 wifes as hindu it was not that hard once I got my breeding program set up. Marrying off everyone to the correct people was a complete chore and I think I broke my mouse, hand and arm doing it over and over and over again.
To form India you need to completely control the Rajastan, Decca and Bengali empires and be a saint. Started as Pandya on the southern tip of India in 867. I am broken, good night.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Tamba posted:

Would mixing in some Huscarls for the screen stat be a good idea? They're also heavy infantry, so they benefit from the same buffs. Or is it "all in on varangian veterans, just never lose a battle"?

Both varangian veterans and huscarls are heavy infantry so if you run into someone going all-in on skirmishers you could be in for a bad time. I am not sure if the AI actually does that but in India for example every single AI goes all in on paiks which is a hard counter against elephants so even if the elephants are incredibly powerful you will lose the battle hard.
I would suggest to check what kind of army composition your neighbors have and buy your men-at-arms to counter theirs.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

fuf posted:

My soulmate wife got murdered and the popup was like "Not one day too soon!" as if I hated her? Just a random bug?

She had probably been unfaithful. People are complaining about it on the bug reports forum that even your soulmate sleeps with others.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Does anyone know when the mongol invasion starts in CK3 or if it even works when doing the 867 start? The CK3 wiki doesn't mention it at all, at least not that I can find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

scaterry posted:

Hi, I did the math.
Bamiyen is desert mountains which is -50% dev growth, which is why the special building gives so much.
If you're doing 'normal' dev strats, the best county is Madurai. 7 baronies, 4 of which are coastal. That's five cities and four tradeports. Plus it starts at 25 dev.
Dev growth is surprisingly the least impactful modifier to increase dev at high penalty levels. The two modifiers you should be looking for are flat dev growth (Royal Gardeners) and councillor task speed (Family Business)
If you're not doing normal dev strats, have tons of excess gold, and are ok with tedious rebuilding, industrious is the best one by far.

I have a strat that's even faster than industrious, but I haven't finished the run yet

How did you build all the holdings so fast? The base duration is 5 years and you've built 4 of them in 12 years, even with a 23 steward it only decreases the duration 43%. Family business only gives 10% more, is it really that good? Plus the fact that you need to build the buildings in the holdings and upgrade them. Do you build holdings in just a few months and buildings in a few days?
Edit: Plus the time it takes to change the traditions, which is 12 years at the start? Plus you need the prestige to do it. I just can't understand how you do it.
Edit2: Ah now I see the prestige, you cheated?
Edit3: I found his explanation here: https://www.reddit.com/r/CrusaderKings/comments/spywjh/industrious_is_a_fair_and_balanced_tradition_or/

TjyvTompa fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 14, 2022