Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

Plastic Man not-so-secretly being a shitpants tier threat is a running DC concept that I'll never tire of.

It’s the only good thing to come out of late-period Frank Miller, that’s for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

I don't know from Frank Miller, is that really where it originated from? Joe Kelly's JLA was the first story I read that really presented Plas' potential.

Yeah, as Old Kentucky Shark mentioned it's from Dark Knight Strikes Again. Miller has Batman gravely state that "He could kill us all without even trying" or something while Plastic Man turns himself into a giant egg beater with legs.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

drat Dr. Manhattan erased an entire decade from the DCU this time.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

If only scenes with Amy Adams as a crack reporter and Laurence Fishburne as her editor had been written by good writers :(

“Kent, you’re on sports today.” - The editor-in-chief of a major metropolitan newspaper who totally understands how newsrooms work

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Bongo Bill posted:

The last appearance of Pa Kent is him intently watching a young Clark wear a cape and play with the family dog, which to me says more that he was aware of his son's world-changing potential.

Hey wait so who exactly was Lil Clark pretending to be when he put on that cape?

My apologies if this already caused 50 pages worth of debate in this thread.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I just remembered that Morbius ends without ever saying what happened to that little girl he put into an induced coma.

Right? Am I making that up? They end the movie with that kid still in a coma and her doctor is just a full-time vampire now?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

The movie also forgets that he made three vials of vampire goo and only two get used.

And he still needs to drink human blood, correct? They set that up like that’s the central conflict of the movie and then it’s like nope, killing Matt Smith was all that mattered, movie’s over!

They don’t even give Morbius a coda where he decides to only drink bad-guy blood or anything. No closing monologue about how he’s going to live with his curse as an avenger of the night to atone for his sins or any of that poo poo. What a loving mess.

And never mind how they slam the Vulture in there. “I think it’s got something to do with Spider-Man,” he says, to a guy who should have no goddamn idea who Spider-Man is, if this is the same universe as the Venom movies. Or maybe it isn’t! Who cares!

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Morbius is a difficult movie to dissect because it very clearly got chopped up in editing.

Yes, most definitely, but the screenplay also was a huge pile of poo poo.

Like, Morbius calls Smith’s character “Milo” once as a kid and that just becomes Smith’s name for the rest of his life? Where did Smith’s family go? Where’s Morbius’ family? Why does that one merc go down to the hold of the ship just to harass Morbius’ lady doctor colleague? Why are they sailing with a team of mercenaries in the first place? Why is no one at the hospital in Greece Greek?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Look, if The Rock had it stipulated in his contract that he couldn’t lose a fight to Vin Diesel or Jason Statham, what makes anyone think he’ll lose a fight on-screen against Zachary Levi?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

X-O posted:

Fuckin' hilarious that Ray Fisher was apparently too much of a headache for anyone to deal with anymore and now they have someone who is a legit headache and seem to not care.

Well, see, you have to look at it from the perspective of a WB executive:

“Ray Fisher hurt MY feelings, gently caress him.”
“Ezra Miller hurt a bunch of people who aren’t ME, let’s see what happens.”

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

JordanKai posted:

CGI facial replacement technology is getting pretty robust. I saw a featurette on Youtube a few weeks ago that showed the process by which a film was "dubbed" by recording the original actors delivering the lines in English (it was a German film) in a studio and then superimposing that footage onto the original film footage. Doing that with a separate actor is a different thing altogether, but I'm sure WB has access to enough money and technical expertise to make it happen if they wanted to.

e: I somehow missed two pages of posts. :eng99: To be clear, this was in reference to Ezra Miller in the Flash film.

Just saying, there’s a fully completed, unused Sonic the Hedgehog CGI model out there. I’m sure it could be had for cheap.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

all laying the foundation for phase 6: The King in Black :kheldragar:

Does Knull have a potentially tragic backstory? One where the audience, I daresay, may come to…sympathize with him to some extent?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Only thing I remember about The Dark Universe Presents: The Mummy is that stupid fight between Cruise and Russell Crowe as Mr. Hyde. I actually forgot the movie ends with Tom being the mummy now, lol.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

meanwhile Sony cashes in by folding Man-Wolf into the Sony Universe of Spider-Man Villains Who Never Met Spider-Man. He never turns into a wolf.

I won't lie, I would go see a movie that was just 120 minutes of Michael Keaton's Vulture trying to explain who Spider-Man is to a bunch of C-list Spider-Man villains who have never heard of Spider-Man. Here's a scene from Sony Pictures' "The Gibbon:"

VULTURE: So, are you in or out?

GIBBON: Yeah, sorry, I'm just still kind of confused. Spider-Man is...?

VULTURE: [pinches bridge of nose] Okay, for the last time...he's a high school kid who took my kid to prom. He's got super-powers, he stopped me from stealing some poo poo from the Avengers...

GIBBON: Avengers?

VULTURE: Wait, stop, forget it, don't worry about the Avengers, we're talking about Spider-Man!

GIBBON: And you want to kill this Spider-kid?

VULTURE: Well...I mean, yeah but no. Like, he beat me up and put me in prison, but I kinda respect him, you know? He's a good kid, but now I want to... [pause] To be honest, I'm not exactly sure where I'm at with him right now.

GIBBON: Yeah, all right, that's...I'm just going to leave, okay?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Falcon and the Winter Soldier literally ends with a title card saying Captain America and the Winter Soldier.

I still don't get why they didn't change the title card to "Captain America and Bucky" at the end of that series. Bucky trying to get over his past was just as much a focus of the show as Sam inheriting the mantle.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

If they’re already reshooting Aquaman 2 with Affleck as Batman instead of Keaton, maybe shelving Batgirl means the Flash movie will finally be canned? I thought Keaton’s Batman was supposed to be a big part of the Batgirl movie.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

live with fruit posted:

The Gray Man was hot garbage and Netflix's turning it into a franchise.

Sony released Morbius TWICE

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

They're gonna do it and the car is going to be a Tesla and I'm going to hate everything about it.

No no no, people actually drive Teslas. The time machine would have to be a Pontiac Aztek or a Nissan Cube or something as laughable today as a Delorean was in 85.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Lobok posted:

I just realized, and it's loving hilarious, that DC movies have done the exact same thing the comics did. Like uh oh, the storylines have become a bit convoluted, there's only one thing that ever solves this! It's time for another universe-wide reboot!

It’s kind of the opposite, though -

The comics rebooted so they wouldn’t have to keep explaining why there was more than one Batman.

The movies are rebooting so they can explain that there is more than one Batman.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

They're also going to make a joke about how dumb everyone's names are.

Honestly I think they go in the opposite direction:

"And you must be Scott Summers."
"That was my birthname - my real name is Cyclops, please."

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

They did that in X-Men 2 when Magneto recruited Pyro.

Also, considering of the most popular musicians in the world goes by "Lil Nas X" I think we can have people just accept superhero names from now on.

You're right, I totally forgot about that line. "No...what's your REAL name?"

I think at the time it was supposed to demonstrate how radical Magneto's ideology had become, but today it comes off much differently.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

If Black Adam even says "Shazam!" in the movie I'll be surprised.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Why would they put him in the MoS suit for Black Adam if they were going to reboot?

It’s cheaper? This is Warner Bros we’re talking about.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Vandar posted:

Man. The more I think about all the crazy X-Men stuff that doesn't exist in the movies because they played things so safe...

I really hope the MCU X-Men just goes nuts embracing how loving weird the X-Men comics really are.

X-Men really needs to be a weekly soap opera rather than a film franchise. Sure, they can show up in Secret Wars or whatever crossover movies you want, but plot lines like “I married a clone of my dead wife” or “my brain was put into a ninja” really need a serialized format to get the attention they deserve.

Frankly, Spider-Man should be handled the same way.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Sentinel Red posted:

The Hand, The Hood, The High Evolutionary...thinking all Marvel antagonists beginning with 'The H' are just straight up boring garbage that should never be used.

Don’t forget The Hate-Monger, who in actuality was The Hitler. It’s a two-fer.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Neat, but no one needed to know you don't know your own dad's birthday, James.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I liked Superman/Fantastic Four by Dan Jurgens!

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

mycot posted:

I haven't seen The Batman yet but I'm over "topical" supervillains in general, even when they thematically make sense. If MCU Magneto is a Proud Boy or Doom is a NFT guy I'll be miffed

“DOOMCOIN is the currency supreme! Tremble as DOOM disrupts the markets with his peerless non-fungibility!”

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Timby posted:

That kind of sounds like Harrison Ford doing the narration.

It sounds for all the world like he’s trying to ape the narrator from Rocky and Bullwinkle.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Soonmot posted:

Oh that looks bad. Wtf is going on with the bluelightning flash why does he look so chunky?

Based on promo shots of some of the action figures, I think he’s wearing a makeshift Flash suit made out of an old Batman costume.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

He appears to be wearing the Batman Returns suit.

Incredible.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Now I’m curious if anyone’s ever read a comic book in an MCU movie/show. I haven’t seen most of the D+ series.

I think it would be hilarious for a massive, 15-year-plus multimedia franchise based on comic books to never actually depict a comic book on-screen.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

TwoPair posted:

Captain America comics are in canon as a part of the WW2 propaganda machine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtSrWn7eYbU&t=126s

Aha, all right then.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

live with fruit posted:

Wanda's story is a mess.

But hey, enough about the comic books, this is the movie thread!

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

By and large, I enjoyed Across the Spider-Verse. The only bit I didn't really like was the fact that Miles was seemingly the only Spider-Man in the multiverse who didn't fall in line with Miguel. To me there's a difference between Spider-Ham saying "the worst thing about this job is you can't save everyone" and several hundred thousand Peter Parkers being convinced that every Uncle Ben and Captain Stacy is fated to die and you shouldn't even try to save them. I understand how it fits into Miles' story and the broader themes but I also have a hard time buying that so many Spideys would accept that line of thinking.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Fangz posted:

I don't think that's the implication. Firstly there's Spiderpunk. Secondly the people at his base are just the spiders he was able to recruit, as we can see Miguel doesn't recruit everyone. Folks like the Bollywood Spiderman don't seem aware of the canon event stuff at all.

My guess is that Miguel just usually recruits people *after* their canon events, at which point they are emotionally vulnerable to his message that whatever happened had to happen.

Gwen's bracelet thing warned her that there was an "incoming canon event" before Spider-Man India's incident with the bus, and she knew immediately she had to stop Miles from interrupting it. That gave me the impression all the Spider-People know about the "canon" and why Miguel wants to keep it intact.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Codependent Poster posted:

Pavitr says "I can do both" while struggling to keep the bus safe. He couldn't. Not without help. So I think he was aware of it but still tried to stop it. Like always, Spider-Man would have an easier time if he wasn't so hesitant to accept help and thought he had to do everything on his own.

Spider-Verse spoilers above.

But that's the thing that bothers me — Pavitr believes he can save both his girlfriend and her father alone, even if he can't. That's different from all the other Spideys accepting the idea that certain people are going to die because it's preordained. It's all the other Spideys hanging back and saying "this horrible thing needs to happen" that bugs me because to me that's central to the idea of Spider-Man - the regret and guilt that comes from being able to do something but choosing not to. Miguel's team is a whole bunch of Spider-Men choosing not to do the thing they all regret not doing, over and over again.

A lot of this is me being really disappointed in Sweatpants Spidey from the first movie, mind you.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

site posted:

the one thing that wasn't entirely clear to me is why miguel is considering jefferson's imminent death the canon event, when ItSV and even this movie laid it out pretty clear that it was aaron's death in the first movie that was miles' canon event

The implication is that Aaron's death in the first movie was Miles' "Uncle Ben" moment, but Jeff's impending death was supposed to be his "Captain Stacy" moment.

Miguel also implies other things like hosting a symbiote and getting married were things that were "supposed" to happen to Spider-Man.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

site posted:

i guess i'm not familiar enough with spider-man to know about that one

It's fine - to be honest the death of Captain Stacy is a relatively deep cut in terms of Spider-Man lore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Also for Miles he not only lost his uncle in the first movie, but his hero Peter died saving him. Like clearly the events that happen to him are different from what they are talking about with the other Spider People

Which is extra-weird because Miguel insists Miles was never supposed to be Spider-Man. So why does he also insist Miles needs to have a canon event? Does he need it to make him more Spider-Manny?

Anyway I'm nitpicking the middle section of a trilogy that's not finished yet and like you said Miguel is not shown to be in his right mind. He's literally shooting up when he's introduced.

Splint Chesthair fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 12, 2023