Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Cities are not their people or architecture or culture but a concentration of power. It is government policy that towns and villages used to regenerate cities, parasites of glass and concrete. Empty them all like Pripyat, towers of silence.

gently caress cities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs069dndIYk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Would the last poster to leave the labour party please turn out the lights

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Something I was wondering about this chart:

I can't find anything in Google as everything seems to return stuff on what Imperial College is doing in response to coronavirus now or subsequent research or articles analysing the original research. I'd like to know how they decided on the October up-swing - did they factor in a temporary lockdown then schools opening and Rishi having people eating Nando's for half price?

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

If anyone knows where the original report is that'd be good. I was assuming the idea of this kind of modelling is that everyone will be infected at some point, its just a case of how quickly and what the response will be to control it. Also its more about critical care bed occupancy whilst we've just let people die in care homes or at home because they were too scared to ring 111.

The lack of offices and hiring people internationally is interesting, as though I can appreciate not having to commute or just wandering around an office like a dickhead, it would be interesting to see how quickly automation would take over jobs due to no office 'culture' or being more productive even though people are playing games and cranking one out every day. We don't need Pret or commuter rags or adverts on buses and any of that poo poo either.

Won't even be jobs for the robots by the time we're finished :orks:

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

OwlFancier posted:

Having to stick your arm out the window and open it from the outside was a novel experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z15IW8eT8U

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I like to imagine how I'd fare if I travelled back in time and how to use my knowledge to survive, particularly as I have no relevant skills to the Medieval period and my way of speaking English would sound bizarre. I think I would end up an urchin.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I quite like a hangover, a comedown all the more. Just sit around all day watching nature documentaries and crime shows, eating poo poo, then have a few beers and a takeaway in the evening. Magnificent.

My personal favourite trick is having a shower and then moisturising my face with nivea or what have you. Even talking about hangovers is making me want to drink two bottles of wine, though I have toothache at the moment so trying to avoid such nonsense.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I was talking to someone today and started talking about the song 'Hitler's only got one ball' - she was German and hadn't heard it, but I assumed most people in Britain were familiar with it. Is this still the case or has it faded from schools by now?

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Apparently there are two different schemes.

One, which the petrol station round the corner runs, seems like it gives you useless vouchers every once in a while like Tesco and doesn't really seem to bear any relation to how much you spend.

The other one, which the shop in town runs, is more like the nectar points thing where you get money back on your purchases at a really good rate.

You get extra points for buying co-op own brand stuff, the wine is a good way to rack the points up. Sometimes vouchers for stuff too.

The co-op card I have is the first time I've bothered with any of this stuff. I save all the points up til Christmas then get all that for free. Shame it's all a bit expensive to anywhere else, but most places I've rented have had a co-op within walking distance rather than needing a car for a big shop.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Let's see what's on tomorrows frontpage of the UKMT's official newspaper

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

These are my MPs for the shadow shadow cabinet

its good technology, there's barely any errors and most of the time the glasses look normal even.

https://thiscatdoesnotexist.com/
https://thispersondoesnotexist.com/
https://thisartworkdoesnotexist.com/
https://thisrentaldoesnotexist.com/

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Personally I can't wait for Cummings to think the Internet of Things and blockchain can solve the border problem, without really understanding what that means. £50m to a Tory sponsor to half-arse it, another £10m to improve it before the project is cancelled and the government tries to use the civil service to manually check everything at the border with just an etch-a-sketch to keep track of imports

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Jose posted:

The big brained centrists like no deal brexit now

https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/1303006536256675842?s=19

centrist based accelerationism in order to get a leader in who agrees with everything the government are doing anyway. Don't know if my brain is big enough for that kind of 4D chess.

Chair chat:

As I am working from home a lot more now, where is a good place to get a decent chair? A dining room chair with a cushion on it isn't that great - and I thought with all these businesses not using their offices if there was a good place to pick up second hand furniture that has coagulated years of slime all over (or maybe a new chair come to think of it)

Also - is there a double-size chair or something I can use with two seats? My cat likes to sit next to me and feel this would save on sitting on the keyboard or directly behind me.

e: the cat, not myself sitting on the keyboard

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

peanut- posted:

https://www.2ndhnd.com/

Bought a Steelcase Leap from these guys a few years ago and it's great. When I got it it was impossible to tell that it wasn't brand new (I doubt it had ever actually been used).

Thanks, I'll take a look! I thought I might be able to get one of those radiator beds for cats and mount it on one of the arms, though hopefully this wouldn't be unbalanced if I got up.

Death Stranding but you're working from home and balancing cats on your arms

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Mebh posted:

Or just slowly slouch ever more and more over the course of the day in your chair, then slouch more in your chair all night to play video games and repeat until your spine is so bent that you look like a horseshoe.

Everytime I walk past an old person hunched right over it reminds me to improve my posture and have my feet on the ground when I'm sat down (I tend to have them in a sort of praying/foetal position when sat down)

Plus I use the numpad for excel and MS Flight Simulator so I can't ditch that just yet. Problem with the dining chair I have is its just a wee bit short for my desk, but I'm sure minor changes I could do now aren't worth bothering with to prevent agonising arthritis and back pain later in life.

because of robots

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

If any of you youngsters out there are looking for a lucrative career 20 years from now - any of the professions involving manipulation of muscles etc will do it - the amount of neck and back problems that will face people in future is going to be huge.

An ex was going to go into Occupational Health for this reason (don't know if she ever did)

It's good to learn though - I used to think there wasn't any support for post-grad courses (an MA) but you can get it as a loan now. And if you're cool enough to go back to your original university, some offer a 10% discount on courses (but you can still apply for a full loan so can keep a hundred quid or so each term)

The NHS also provide bursaries, so if you wanted to consider retraining they offer a wee bit of money towards that

https://www.gov.uk/nhs-bursaries/what-youll-get

There's also something called an Advanced Learner Loan

https://www.gov.uk/advanced-learner-loan

(one day I will go through all the .gov website and see all the various bursaries and support you can get but not told about. I still can't work out if the following is the HMRC payment from summer I wasn't eligible for or another thing for instance: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-a-grant-through-the-self-employment-income-support-scheme )

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

*labour voters nodding*

yes, yes, he is only pretending to be a racist Tory for votes. And I also heard he was forensic in PMQ's. This one's in the bag.

I'm curious what those still in the party think.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Apparently it can't be transmitted via blood which doesn't make a huge amount of sense to me but there's cleverer people than me that might be able to weigh in on why - maybe some kind of life cycle thing?

They're very interested to find out if you've got it at the time of donation but obviously that's about not transmitting it to the staff and other donors, and also interested if you might have had it in the past because of the possiblity of using your plasma with all its lovely antibodies to treat patients (although I've not heard anything more about this lately - presumably there are other treatments with less risk/availability bottlenecks now?)

I donated a month or two ago, they wanted me to take my mask off so they could better read the expression on my face in case I felt poorly, but I kept it on all the same. I was the only patient there with about 10 members of staff and 20 or so beds in a big open room, though they did pre-donation interviews with everyone in the same room. Prior to that you washed your hands in a private bathroom.

I imagine everythings wiped down and that, but I always think about the vapours

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwX1XfgjFok

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Most of the raves in summer have happened outdoors anyway, its safer to go to a rave and ingest a large quantity of MDMA than it is getting a train to a major city then sitting in a fart box for hours as people complain about the air conditioning

mmmm

been a while since I've been to a good party myself. I used to eat a lot of drugs so now anything too speedy just makes me be sick whilst wired out of my head for hours. Do miss this kind of dumb poo poo though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y77fw1Vskx8

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I was wondering if anyone knew why young people talk on the phone via the loudspeaker? I lent my phone to a lad and he put it on loudspeaker straight away then starting talking to it like a Star Trek communicator - I noticed it a few years ago when I was managing another guy on work experience and he was trying to book a venue - but it just seems odd to me. I could understand if their hearing was hosed or it was a way of having your friends hear a conversation or something, but I don't know really.

or is that question just cringe 😂😂😂😂

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

communism bitch posted:

Yes: Every woman I've tricked into coming to my flat has remarked on the fact that I don't have any furniture.

Personally I'm perfectly happy with it, as it's less aggro whenever I move house. But nice girls apparently expect not to be forced to sit on an office chair or the floor lol.

As for the cost, I''m going for some L-shaped Ikea thing because I can get it delivered and I know it won't be hosed up out the box. And I also want something that I can pass out on every now and then. But the rest of the time I know I'll be at my desk or whatever.

If I went into a house with no furniture it would cross my mind if I was being murdered or something.

Facebook Marketplace is alright, as is your local charity shop that sells furniture. Although the luxury of an enormous new sofa is a fine thing, I'm sure you'll like it. Though that also depends what is across from the sofa of course.

Trip Report - The Dentist

For the last two weeks my teeth have been caning, I contacted 111 and was set up with an emergency dentist that was miles away and not accessible by public transport, so I thought I'd chance it by finding a new dentist.

This was difficult - I rang 20-30 dentists and they either weren't taking on any new patients or would only extract teeth, and I want to cling onto mine for as long as I can. A lot of the private places were ridiculously expensive but in the end I went with a 'mydentist' in a nearby town. This was the first time I had private healthcare, it wasn't that much different to NHS dentists except the filling I needed took an hour rather than ten minutes. £120 including PPE for the dentists. Also you can't spit or drink that delicious water, which was the best part of going for me.

I'm glad I went as reckon halloween lockdown is going to sew all that up, could have not done with spending so much money but TEETH TEETH TEETH

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Crusader Kings 3 is a fun game

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

crispix posted:

People are dying because we have a government that prioritised Wetherspoons pub lunches and supermarket meal deals over human lives

I find the lack of outrage over deaths to be very strange. There was more hoo-ha about the horse meat scandal or Jade Goody than thousands and thousands of people dying and all the lives affected by that. I know thousands of people dying is hard to comprehend, yet people are just itching to eat a £3 meal deal and have a pint at spoons than think how our actions each affect one another and the repetitive gently caress-ups by the government.

This year has really changed how I see the country, I'm still not sure how it sits with me. I used to be optimistic and have faith in individuals, now, less so.

communism bitch posted:

I'm skipping lunch just to gently caress them off lol

Take your lunch at 12 instead and stop calling them girls maybe ;)

Also hi Barry Foster, where have you been?

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I have the opposite problem to the above poster in that my housemate is an obnoxious dingus I want to get rid of, I've talked to the landlady and said she'd give him notice when the contract runs out but now looks like I'll be living with him for another 6 months.

I really don't want to move out as my house is perfectly situated between my family, work and girlfriend, its the only house I've had in ten years that has allowed a cat (that the landlords known about) and I have made a lot of friends locally. Plus I can't afford to move really and anywhere in my price range isn't suitable.

He's driving me daft, pisses all over the floor, stays up til 5 laughing at How I Met Your Mother, his boyfriend has been coming round every weekend during lockdown (and he lives with ten other people) and he hasn't left the house since he moved in. Been stressing me out so much I've been grinding my teeth, (cracking one, hence having the filling the other day) and struggle focusing on anything. I work from home teaching people with mental health issues and in the background he's just laughing away, every day.

I'm going to ask him to move out this week anyway, who knows.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Josef bugman posted:

Have you spoken to him about it? You'd hope that with some people being obnoxious is just that they don't realise how big of an rear end in a top hat they are being?

I've spoken to him but he just laughs and says he doesn't care. With the pissing, its in the vicinity of the toilet but he never lifts the seat and just pisses all over the place, I don't get it. I've talked to him multiple times about everything but I'm not his dad and getting bored of it really.

Since making that last post I have rescued a bird from a cat so now have a bird in a shoebox with tissue paper and an empty tea light container filled with water. I tried taking the box to some woodland but he was stubborn so now the box is on my desk.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

The commute today was fun, everyone clumping around the doors to the train, dozens of kids running round, the hot weather making no-one wear a mask.

pitch a fitness posted:

And plus ça change, it's deployed

How is this pronounced? Like 'cha ching' like a till?

It's exciting wondering how poo poo something will be rather than if it will be poo poo.

https://twitter.com/bethchevron/status/1305258955732647937

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

As Tony donors pop up a bit in the thread, for a bit of fun I thought I'd have a look at the Electoral Commission website to see who was who

Just having a quick look, there was 2707 donations since 01/01/2019 averaging 20k and totalling 59m. The biggest donations are from JCB services and JC Bamford Excavators totally 3.2m+. Beyond that it starts getting a bit fishy and murky.

Ideally I'd like to be able to export all the government tenders done in the last 21 months and just match names up in a dumb way, but can't work out how to do that on the government tender website. On the other hand its fun just reading through and finding out Flamingo Land donated 50k. Or a Russian banker called Lubov Chernukhin donated over £900,000. Did you know the instigator of psychometric testing in the workplace, Peter Saville, donated £100k? Why did Fujitsu donate £14,417? Will we see M&M Supplies, donating over £200k, somehow integral to shipping goods about in a few months? If the United Karate Association donated 2k, is karate Tory?

All these questions and more eagerly await to sit in a spreadsheet with Companies House in a tab in the background

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I used to have a five hour commute, I'd wake up at half 5 and get home just before 8. Didn't do much besides work and if there were any traffic jams my day would be hosed.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I was a beater on a shoot once. It was miserable, I was constantly worried about getting shot and it was depressing seeing so many ducks and pheasants getting killed.

I thought it was something I should do as I eat meat and think you should be willing to participate in the killing if you're going to eat it, and at least all those birds were free range rather than being packed into a factory. I don't eat too much meat nowadays but try to be considerate as to where it has come from.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

As things tend to get more and more ridiculous, I am wondering if we will just go to war against the EU.

The ultimate gammon dream.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Any time I read an article on the guardian about the backbenchers not being happy and maybe the 1922 committee will meet I believe they must be huffing their own farts really. After how wrong they were on Brexit and the 2017 election they have invented this idea of bubbles we all live in, because they themselves aren't really as knowledgeable as they reckon as to "what's happening on the streets of the UK" - especially with silly special reports where they visit the North like its loving safari.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

A friend of mine is against burqa's because he finds them oppressive. I am for them because people should be able to wear what they want, as what we wear stems from culture. Although on a deeper level I am against all traditions and identities and people should be able to be whatever they want.

What is a good book or writer I can read more into this? I can appreciate my friends point of view but feel I don't know enough about Islamic culture to make a decision.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I don't know any book. But I do have Muslim female friends from both majority muslim countries and 'Western' countries.
So first off, are you talking about burqa such as Afghanistan where there is a veil over the eyes too, or 'niqab' where the eyes are not covered? (Sorry for asking if you do know the difference, many do not. When I first went to live in Egypt, my dear sister-in-law started rowing with me saying she didn't want her daughter to grow up in a burqa..she meant niqab .. erm... right oh. She's a UKIPer.)

Some of them are in countries where they are legally obligated to wear burqa whether they want to or not. Some have husbands who demand it. Others have husbands who say it's their choice, between them and Allah.

I'll talk about niqab and hijab a bit from personal knowledge:

On of the most devout muslim women I know (Egyptian) will not wear burqa, niqab or hijab (headscarf) because she does not believe the quran requires it and that the 'modesty' requirement is more about behaviour than clothes. Another believes that the modesty requirement requires her to wear head covering and also not show her shape but that abaya (black robe) is not necessary (so for example long shirt covering her bum over jeans does the job).
One Egyptian woman I know who spent 15 years living in Saudi Arabia with her husband and young family went out without her face uncovered one day and the religious police turned up later and asked her husband what the heck he was thinking letting her out like that - he told them he preferred her like that, then came indoors and told her off for embarrasing him. Her teenage daughters told me of instances when they were 12/13 years old and out in a Mall in Riyadh with other same age friends - girls that age are not required to wear hijab but some of their friends were 'well-developed' and were literally beaten by the religious police for not covering even though they had not started their periods (puberty).
There is an assumption amongst many that wearing burqa is always oppressive. It isn't. Sometimes it is. Some women feel a lot happier wearing it because that is what they understand from their Islam, others more from the perspective that they don't get judged on their appearance, either because in some cases they are very pretty or sometimes because they have a physical deformity (as judged in the world).
The only place in Egypt where I know of where almost all women routinely wearing burqa is Siwa and that is definitely a cultural requirement. Though I did see some women in niqab and even a few in just hijab when I was there.

What you really want to find out more about if you are seriously interested in delving deeper is the concept of Awra (or Awrah) - the 'intimate' parts of people and that, in some interpretations, includes the woman's voice.

Thank you, and king turnip, for the insight. My friend was talking about the burqa, though I am guilty of conflating that with the niqab (as I imagine is he) - I sometimes talk to Muslim men about faith but no so much women, but will look a bit deeper to get a better grasp. I wasn't too sure if his stance against head coverings was as much to do with women than the way he felt, but it feels wrong to me to focus opposition or 'concerns' against what women wear rather than anything else going on in 2020.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Jose posted:

Presumably they're going to march on Buckingham palace and drag Andrew out

So I'm clear - QAnon believes in an international satanic paedophile illuminati style group that will take over the world, and believe coronavirus isn't real/a bioweapon in order to keep people indoors and wearing masks so we become disconnected from each other, and this strand is a front to 'Save our Children' by holding protests that will drag others into the QUniverse?

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

OwlFancier posted:

"front" suggests organization rather than an organic mutation into a different kind of conspiracy feeling, I say feeling because theory is perhaps too structured. That's broadly it, the Q thing is kinda secondary, there's a whole mess of conspiracy beliefs and because they're all basically "the evil elites are trying to control you" they can all join up and the people who think 5g is mind control and the people who think the royals are lizards and the people who think hilary clinton eats mole children and the people who think the muslim grooming cabal are running the epstein organization and the people who think coronavirus is a bill gates plot to install windows on your face with a mask, all see each other and go "yeah wow it's true isn't it"

It's boome brain rot made manifest. It makes less sense than my demented nan. But it's a feeling rather than a thought.

If you've ever seen a David Dees art piece it's basically that. If you haven't seen David Dees' art I strongly suggest having a look because it's absolutely amazing. Really captures the absolute cognitive chaos yet sense of vague familiarity because of the pop mythology references.

Nice art, I always wondered what Jeff Koons would do if he had to make album art for a conspiracy based rap group. Though maybe Mark Lombardi is a better aesthetic in terms of smoking a joint and realising 'its all connected man'

Seems like a waste of energy really. Capitalism has already won, why make it out as if its lizard people or bill gates or the royal family behind it all? I know there's some reassurance in the idea of phantasy as it is made up and therefore you can control the narrative still, but why spend time researching pizza restaurants when you could set up a food bank or mentor people or post in this thread?

Back when I used to take a lot of drugs I was into Terence McKenna and Alan Watts and all that, but after meeting like-minded people I realised what a bunch of hogwash it all was and seemed a slippery slope to letting magical thinking take over your life. Was one thing thinking about that sort of stuff, another to live your life by it.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

VideoGames posted:

Well. I am not sure what to do. I am not sure what to say. I desperately want to travel to the 'laugh at everything because it is so awful' stage but I am stuck in the anger stage and it is all I can do not to find a way to tie a space ship to every tory mp and voter and send them hurtling like a mars rover into the sun. Good grief. Good lord. Good Gracious.

I have bad days where I just think gently caress everything, this country is a poo poo show, I thought if it got bad enough change would happen but it has been bad enough for years - but thats not that helpful to myself or those around me. As with everything, feeling if something is in stasis or won't change continues to make me feel worse, but it's when I get some agency or things start to move that I start thinking more hopefully and optimistic. All things considered it's not a great time to be left (or just care about other people) as there's just an avalanche of diarrhea and every week brings up more corruption and it becomes more obvious they aren't pretending to play the game any more.

But people have been in a worse position than this and fought for change, just as we can. It's important to feel the injustices, though not let that overwhelm I reckon. Something isn't sitting right with me - personally the idea that Corbyn could have won gave me hope, though now there's nobody like that I'm still searching for something to get behind. Just as with this, there appears no 'way out' yet, but things like Hillborough have shown these projects can take decades sometimes - important to keep going

Hope you're alright anyway, a walk always helps.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Barry Foster posted:

Aww, I quite like Alan Watts. I do smoke a lot of weed these days though :ohdear:

I like him too still, I just think there's a fine line to tread with those sorts of texts - definitely nourishing for a side of oneself, but shouldn't be all encompassing (same as anything else really). I was talking more about acid heads and people walking round with ketamine smudged on their faces talking about cosmic gnomes and believing it rather than using those sorts of drugs/literature/practices to see more deeper into oneself.

Not that there's any right or wrong way with all that, I've just known a few people who gave themselves cosmic brain worms with a steady diet of powders, esoteric podcasts and such, they've become less themselves and more a generic space hippy.

Watts is cool though. Keep smoking :2bong:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v1NZgE170w

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Barry Foster posted:

Honestly I wish I could just go full space hippy - what's the harm (new age medical quackery notwithstanding)? - but I don't think I could fully embrace machine elves or the spirit of the mushroom or the ketamine angels or whatever even if I really wanted to. There's absolutely no reason to believe in any of it except that you experienced it personally and it meant something to you/it makes you happier, but if you really grok that, you can't then believe in something, like, ironically.

I still love all that poo poo though, and regularly trawl erowid for catdrugs space trips :2bong:

Edit discussion has moved on, this in response to TACD and justcola

I think when you first start taking them it can have a profound impact on you - for me my first acid trip was much better than years of therapy - but then following it through with too much projecting magical thinking onto drug experiences can make things a bit foggy. But then, every belief system is like that I guess, if its not malicious it shouldn't matter. Tripping during lockdown has been fun but I'm not going to start any mushroom death cults just yet.

Guavanaut posted:

They'll eat each other to sustain themselves, leaving only the toriest Tory to land on the good planet. You can't risk it.

Which is the most Tory alien? Ferengi? Vogons? Daleks?

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Nothingtoseehere posted:

It's easy to just look at 60,000 dead, and think that it is a terrible number, that more should come of it. But 600,000 people die every year in the UK. 660,000 dying instead is a bump - one that registers more in statistics than our feelings, especially when those who die are those most cloistered from society to begin with.

Still quite a few dead though int it, and thats laid at the foot of incompetence. Be like if a plane crashed into central London and only 4000 people died, don't think people would be so chill about it. The worst is yet to come.

Vitamin P posted:

The only way I've gotten IRL people to feel it is comparing it to the blitz. That specific comparison seems to work.

i liken it to asbestos or mining/milling injuries in that its something that could have been avoided but has long term effects beyond death. and if theyre too young for that just start talking about the critically acclaimed series Chernobyl and how foolish they seemed in retrospect, imagine if something like that was going on now and people just believed any old poo poo

Jose posted:

truly incredible stuff here from the economist

https://twitter.com/DSORennie/status/1306622098333343745?s=20

what if you did politics for the good of people and they liked you for it, thats just unbritish

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Finally, a year I don't have to go to Christmas markets or shopping, or work, or anything. Maybe we'll even get UBI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Guavanaut posted:

Yup, it can get a bit 'hard toast' around the corners, but it'll not blacken or even really brown.

use a bap and make a kiev butty

The first lockdown started on the 23rd of March when we had just shy of 1000 cases a day. We're now at 3400 cases a day.

The measures eased on the 4th of July(ish) - along with fewer cases but also a higher temperature, so people were out more. We'll return to similar temperatures in mid-October, but with the schools and pubs and everything back open, I imagine we'll be hitting some high number soon. There's only been 380,000 confirmed cases (0.5% of the population) - though there must have been many more cases unreported there's still quite a big jump up to a tenth or half of the population getting it.

The deaths have been a lot lower, so far, and I've read stuff that the people most likely to have died will have died by now - but this is an assumption with big consequences if wrong.

get ready for some lockdown laughs at your favourite thread this Xm*s

justcola fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 18, 2020