Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I think the biggest barrier to the culture series getting a film adaptation is that the portrayal of (mostly) utopian anarchism is utterly foreign to TV and cinema. Only thing less likely to get an adaptation is The Dispossed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Are there any good, pulpy sci fi books which aren't like super racist or something. noir will do as well

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Corla Plankun posted:

Company Town by Ashby fits this description I think and I liked it

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

I liked A Big Ship at the Edge of the Universe, which is a mystery and one of the main characters is a has a lovely office in a rundown city!

Thanks will try these, they look good

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

haveblue posted:

didn't protestantism only happen because henry viii wanted to divorce his wife

it was already a thing, he made his own flavour to get a divorce but I don't think he got on with the various continental protestants

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

There's a great line in one of the wolf hall books which is something like "Whether Catherine of Aragon lost her virginity to her first husband, or her second, will forever remain a mystery"

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

my stepdads beer posted:

i looked this up and it's an anne leckie. did anyone here like ancillary justice because I thought it was super boring with a gender gimmick to make people think it was brilliant writing. also everyone's names were super confusing

I thought it was great, at it's best when it was focusing on stuff other than the gender themes, where it could get a bit fourth wall breaking (not that they were bad, just that it was most eye-opening when it wasn't in your face). I loved all the stuff about the main characters identity.

Sequels were very meh.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

this reminds me- is Ursula leguin actually good at writing? like on the spectrum of [heinlein, Asimov, mieville, banks-jemisin, bradbury*], where does she fall?

*ok yes there's a huge gap between banks/Jemisin and Bradbury, cut me some slack and also recommend me authors who go in the gap

She's extremely good, although I think for the most part the Earthsea books as a whole are her most polished works. She has been very influential as well, multiple other books contain "Ansibles" and the first part of Ancillary Justice is one big homage to her.

She consistently does this thing where she juxtaposes strange and alien things to the everyday - the opening paras of the left hand of darkness are a good example.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

indigi posted:

Octavia Butler goes in that gap I think

I read one of her books the other day and it was both pretty well written (for sci fi) and had an awful lot of weird sex stuff (not that the ideas weren't interesting - ideas about power and consent were obviously very important to her)

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

this is some straight up legal calculus poo poo, "let's try it and if it works we'll essentially argue it as precedent for a 'use it or lose it' style approach where the burden is on the writer to enforce the contract not us to respect it, and if they don't, we claim they've abandoned the work"

at the same time though, who the gently caress is buying the Alien novelisations? I think read the alien 3 one which i bought for 10p at a garden sale in 1997

It seems pretty bad but will be immensely funny if there have actually just been 0 sales

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I met Craig Charles as a kid once backstage at robot wars. He obviously didn't want to be there (neither did I, I was like 11 and wanted to see the robots)

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Schadenboner posted:

Re-listening to A Memory Called Empire (Martine, 2019) a couple thoughts:
  • This is a really fun palace intrigue scifi and I can't wait to read the next one. Really, it's easily a 9/10. If you liked Cetaganda (Bujold, 1995), which you should, you will like this.
  • Poetry battles are way way less entertaining to read about than to actually read (but I can understand that Ms. Martine might have difficulty coming up with multiple 15-line sonnets about municipal infrastructure repair).
  • Poetry battles are probably never going to be entertaining prose much like when fantasy authors write songs, poems written by prose authors (even good prose authors) are rarely themselves good.*
  • Maybe it's just me but generational consciousness-transfer technology is :gonk:-level terrifying to me and I can't understand how it's so blithely popular in the genre.
  • Related to the above, as social media (Trump et. al., c. 2012-2020) has shown us no actually-existing culture of humans would put the rules in place that Ms. Martine has to put in place to make the generational transfer technology less-:gonk: which seems a bit cheap.

*: Most of the songs in Dune (Herbert, 1965) and The Dune Encyclopedia (McNelly et. al., 1984)**, however, are p.-to-v.deece. I'm mostly talking about the unremitting poo poo that is any attempt at it by J.R.R. Tolkien.
**: McNelly was mostly a scholar of, among other things, English poetry so that's probably why he had more skill at songwriting but Tolkien purported to be a scholar as well so it's apparently no assurance?

I thought it was ok. It felt really weird that there were like 10 people and 2 city blocks in the whole universe though

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Moore, Ennis, Gaiman, and co were the best and worst thing to happen to comics in the 90s.

The Sandman is the only comic I've managed to read more than a couple of pages of. I actually enjoyed the art and the weird comic book dialogue wasn't quite as off-putting as normal

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I still don't understand how they select words to bold in comics though

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

one of george lucas' dumbest decisions of all time was to make "the clone wars" be a proxy war fought between the jedi-supported clones and sith-supported robots instead of the far more straightforward jedi vs. army of clones story we all assumed it was before 2002.

but now that it's out there i would like to see some more explorations of what it's like to have 20 million identical kiwi guys wandering around the galaxy. can they have children?

I actually think that could have been an interesting decision - the "good" clone armies become the "evil" empire as the season progresses, and are revealed to be forces of occupation and oppression which sprung from good intentions.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

rjmccall posted:

imo: against a dark background, inversions, matter, player of games, surface detail, and the algebraist, probably in that order. i also really like feersum endjinn but that’s to a peculiar taste

the algebraist has some great bits but also gets really cringey

My favourite thing about banks is that he really engages with the idea that other beings could be radically different in all sorts of ways from us, not just humans with green skin and extra wrinkles. Not all the time, but much more than other writers. Solaris is a great book for the same reason

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

That was surface detail, I agree it was a bit excessive, although the concept was interesting and troubling.

I do think that it's worthwhile exploring the idea that other forms of being might seem unimaginably cruel compared to us, or see us as being so. Banks also looks at this in some other book where the aliens are predators I think.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

indigi posted:

does anyone listen to any science or science news podcasts, especially physics/astronomy/cosmology based? anything good out there? nothing focusing on the pandemic if possible

e: and not radiolab or anything remotely like radiolab

I would also like recs here, also for biology/climate/ecology, also excluding radiolab.

So far I've found:

- In Our Time has some science episodes. Sometimes these focus more on the history of science but they are always good. This is the only one I actually enjoy listening to physics topics on, way less bs and more knowledgeable guests than most places.

- For ecology and biology Outside / In is interesting and fun. Recently they've take a pretty hard turn towards social issues, which they are perfectly good on (the series on Canadian hydro is great), but if you're looking for more nature focussed stuff start with their older episodes.

- Costing the Earth, occasional BBC climate change podcast. Pretty good with some interesting topics and it doesn't suffer too badly from BBC brain.

- Dirtbag Diaries had an occasional series called endangered spaces which I enjoyed.

- RSPB podcast and Just the Zoo of us are both pretty bad but I struggle for content elsewhere

- Vox did a good series on meat farming on future perfect, and the Ezra Klein show climate episodes are also good, although both are quite political (in a good way). I used to be pretty big on carbon tax and dividend, ala people's policy project, but this convinced me that while in a perfect world that would be good it's too late and industrial policy is the way forward

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I've just started watching the TV adaption of A Perfect Spy and one of the actors is called "McAnally" lol (the book is incredibly good)

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Kenny Logins posted:

netflix lets you slow it down a bit which can be helpful for learning too. by coincidence i got a recco from a family member for "call my agent" in the original parisian french

Call my agent is pretty good, I've been enjoying it (also using it to improve my French!)

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Casual Encountess posted:

lupin on netflix was good for that

I found the tone on Lupin a bit weird, it tools some getting used to. It would jump between kinda serious, and insanely dumb constantly

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

i can understand that. its funny for me because i grew up watching the lupin anime whereas my partner grew up reading the original original books so its kind of a unique intersection of taste for us

I didn't realize there was an anime, it makes a lot more sense now...

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

indigi posted:

I'm reading Ministry for the Future. it starts out with a heat wave in India in 2024 that kills 20 million people. pretty bleak so far!

I quite liked that book, there's a lot of interesting stuff in it, and some great lines.

The bit where some ecoterrorists kidnap everyone at Davos and make them watch educational films about the climate crisis and the attendee is like "we weren't stupid, we already knew all this" made me chuckle pretty hard.

I also think that he's a bit optimistic about the problem - a lot of the solutions in the book are fairly technocratic or about bending international capital to our will. I feel like the actual material changes in people's lives necessary to fight the climate crisis are enourmously unpopular though and are the real obstacle, even if they seem trivial compared to the magnitude of the crisis!

distortion park fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Mar 2, 2021

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I really don't get the hype about three body problem. The premise is interesting enough and the first book is ok at times, but so much of the plot is insanely dumb and feels very calvinball

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The clearly defined factions and cheese wire ship trap were one thing, but "super powerful sub atomic particle sized drone which can control people's minds" took it to another level

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

y'all are really spoiling poo poo for three body problem, it's kind of a dick move

There's like one interesting reveal and the rest are super groan worthy, mostly done by thinly disguised exposition dumps

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Stars are stars, they are ultimately predictable - Apes, you take your eyestalks off them for a millenium or two while you make a coffee and they are knocking on every sphere in the galactic arm wanting you to join their Federation with ideas about 'sharing'. Yeah no, anything makes a Hello World signal that you notice, you make sure they never leave their system with extreme prejudice just in case.

I think this kind of assumes that alien life is at least a little bit similar to us. Thinking about something like Solaris - whose to say their form or motivations are even understandable by us?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

mediaphage posted:

yes no poo poo

i only take issue with everyone throwing out stuff like "space is so big life is clearly everywhere"

otoh (what we consider) intelligent life has definitely evolved once, and it would be super weird if that was the only case. Most things in the universe appear in vast numbers, so I'd kind of expect life too as well. Of course, there's always a biggest black hole, most stable orbit, but it would seem weird if intelligent life was a singular event.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

time and distance mean that even if life is super duper ultra common we're probably just too far away from anything to meaningfully interact with it

Imagine just detecting it though. What would that do to society? Are there any short stories about us detecting something like the arecibo message. I feel like it has the potential to be super frustrating as well as cool.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Carthag Tuek posted:

no, sadly this is completely unexplored in fiction

I was asking for examples of that specific thing, not suggesting it doesn't exist

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

mystes posted:

I may be misunderstanding what you're saying, but it seems like subtitles are almost always separate translations from dubs for whatever reason (and it also seems like they're usually worse because people who like subtitles have bad opinions or something).

Properly done subtitles take account of timing and available space when considering the translation - dubs have different requirements, so result in different translations. IDK why they're normally bad, I suppose studios cheap out since none of their executives are going to see them normally.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Whole article is very good. I'm surprised it doesn't discuss Surface Detail, that seems like the book which addresses the topic most bluntly.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

"Skywalker" is both a cool name which also sounds like it's from a slightly racist novel about Native Americans

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

In the most recent "You're Wrong About" podcast ep they have some really awful quotes from just 20 years ago. Bill O'Reilly said "These are callow, foolish women who deserve to be slapped around", they have some other media dude just being insanely mean about them being fat for whole paragraphs, it's crazy.

Also somehow the band called "The Dixie Chicks" were the least racist people in country music.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/JackTindale/status/1400770143559553027?s=19

God I loved that film

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

also i just finished the fortune trilogy by rachel bach and i enjoyed way more than a lot of the other newer scifi i read. lots of representation but not cranked to 11 and not nearly as quippy so it felt nice.

would recommend as a hammock read

Thanks, will check this out

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

we read The Inheritors which was impossible.

I actually enjoyed the crucible and stuff, it's pretty snappy even on the page. I went to a production as an adult and it was really great irl

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Sweevo posted:

you guys actually got to read real books? my school was all lovely 80s paperbacks about "issues". we had to read dozens of the things, but the only ones i remember were one about a homeless boy with some stolen money (also he's dyslexic but it's only mentioned maybe twice in passing when the plot needs it), and one about an indian family in the uk and the entire thing is just repeatedly hitting you over the head with the teenage daughter's angst at having to decide between the modern western life her friends have and the repressed subservient one her parents expect

also the only shakespeare we did was loving Julius Caeser because the english teacher was bored of doing all the good ones.

it's true most fiction doesn't try and tackle the issues that you encounter in modern life

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

lament.cfg posted:

the only thing i remember appreciating in high school english was Raymond Carver's Cathedral, and that put me onto Carver, who's my favorite author to this day

Carver's great, wish we had read him at school.

I took a look at the english gcse list and there's some good stuff there, although the modern prose list is all over the place. lol at The History Boys being an option.

https://schoolreadinglist.co.uk/tag/gcse/

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

also in the usa almost anything that deals with modern issues gets banned by the school board because either it describes something bad or describes something bad as bad depending on which part of the country it is.

either the book is banned because it has a racist character and we can’t expose our children to that or the book is banned because it is unfair to the racist character and we can’t expose our children to that

i think the most "controversial" we stuff i read in the uk was some steinbeck. Which was actually a really good choice because it's very approachable and readable, but is absolutely full of things to discuss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Shaggar posted:

the worst things i remember having to read in school were silas marner and excerpts from walden. both were litterrally unreadable trash

i also did not enjoy silas marner.should have left that for when students were older