Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Xaris posted:

we were doing a ghibli kick the past couple of months. it was pretty good though certainly their 2005+ movies haven't been nearly as good.

i mean, ponyo specifically is a weird one since it is clearly made for the very young (without pixar wink-at-the-adult nonsense), so it is hard to judge as an adult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

infernal machines posted:

it's not bad, it's just not very good either. the writing is flat and there aren't that many laugh out loud jokes

it's also incredibly cheaply animated. it looks cheap.

i really like it, but i want to toss another complaint on the pile: the incidental music is full of weird choices. like setting action sequences to kind of meandering medieval percussion-less strings.

still, looking forward to more episodes.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Schadenboner posted:

Finished The Sad-Brained Horse Show.

I feel like they shoulda ended it an episode earlier than they did?

:geno:

E: Don’t get me wrong, it was a good episode and even a decent final episode but it feels almost like it cheated by not having the second-to-last episode be the last one? :shrug:

the entire point of the final episode is that the second-to-final is an incredibly dumb trope where bojack has his bad actions catch up with him, and the audience has the relief of feeling sympathy with him because it is safe and allowed now that his comeuppance had arrived. this is entirely contrary to the theme of the show however, where bojack is an incredibly real hollywood monster who will never face permanent consequences and who will continue to inflict suffering on himself and everyone else forever.

the final episode is vital.

e: should spoiler that a bit i guess.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 13, 2020

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

every era of people thought they had a grasp of the direction of the world and the future of technology, and every previous era they were incredibly wrong in everything substantial.

we're right now though, for sure, the matrix it is. for some reason.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

TOOT BOOT posted:

The decline of community institutions would probably shock many people.

and might have shocked all of us every day if we were able to reflect on such things while fully immersed in them.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Schadenboner posted:

On a forward-going basis please consider the use of the word "Suffragist" rather than "Suffragette" as this was an intentionally diminutive/pejorative term coined by the opponents of universal enfranchisement?

suffragette was the adopted term in britain (they liked to write it suffraGETte, for getting the vote), and this being about egypt in 1912 it is presumably a british perspective.

the primary reason the us movement avoided the term was that the self-proclaimed suffragettes were pretty militant, setting bombs, doing petty vandalism, and spitting at the police. the us suffragists meanwhile went the honest-debate route and tried to not associate themselves with the rowdier side.

in short the suffragettes were cooler.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

well this sure sounds like a really funny movie.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the main point of happy gilmore is that golf is a dumb and bad sport

e: if you make a movie about high-level chess though you absolutely should also spend a good fraction of the runtime making sure the audience know how stupidly important and monumentally boring opening theory is.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

indigi posted:

I can’t stop thinking about a Verhoeven Ready Player One

yeah, this is an absolutely delightful thought. heinleins starship troopers is similar to ready player one in how it how it idealizes a real dumbshit idea about human achievement in a thin sci-fi wrapper, and the same kind of treatment would go a long way.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

not bothered watching any batman movies since the heath ledger joker one, as it pretty perfectly captured the idea of two mentally ill people extra-legally warring with each other. no idea how many of the good themes in that movie were intended, but they all worked really well regardless.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Schadenboner posted:

I know this is some "Don't wake alcoholic daddy" poo poo but animutalkin is what got the last thread killed off.

please don't pretend that you care about posting quality or what mods want out of posting.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mediaphage posted:

lmao there’s a matrix four?? what??

kind of looking forward to it, the trilogy gets too much poo poo by far, and while they only have one wachowski sister that is enough to make me cautiously optimistic.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sweevo posted:

canonically every single event in the galaxy is related somehow to the skywalker clan, and the only delivery driver anyone knows of is han solo

actual world building on a galactic scale is mostly nonsense, and the canon parts of star wars have largely never bothered.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

how is "you have to show feet and probably let me suck on them, on film, if you want this role" different from "you have to have sex with me if you want this role"

filmmakers strong-arming women into scenes which sexualize them for the titillation of the audience and director certainly is a disturbing development.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

indigi posted:

what exactly do you think your point is here

that the movie industry is godawful and being outraged at quentin tarantino is missing the forest for the trees.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

PCjr sidecar posted:

it turns out the Disney machine is very good at extracting Content from IP but not great at generating new IP

also cheaper to just not pay for older IP (adf lol)

mostly just good at the kind of nostalgia/fandom/recapturing media from ones youth thing. making money on new ip is a risky short-term thing, which they only do to the extent they do to have it eventually transform into nostalgic ip.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

colour of magic is easily the worst discworld book as well, so it is just a poor choice. all the components of the style is there, but it hasn't found its form yet.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

oh yeah, sourcery is a good place to start if one likes wizards but want to skip the awkward first ones. absolutely nothing is lost doing so either, one can come back to the first two down the line if one wants.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

if the review is right it does sound like disenchantment part 3 is doubling down on the wrong bit (large-scale storylines) yeah, i quite liked it, but mostly for the smaller stuff in dreamland (e.g. drunken escapades).

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ghostbusters and robocop remakes were both incredibly dumb because they remade movies which were both built on extremely weak/derivative central ideas, but were by absolute genius or unlikely accident made into fantastic films.

pretty much reused the worst aspect of the originals.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

haveblue posted:

matrix 1: "the main character has become an invincible god"

matrix 2: "no he didn't actually"

this is like the best bit of how the trilogy continued. he becomes unimaginably powerful but it turns out to be in a context fully created and controlled by the opposition. making it not quite worthless, but kind of inconsequential since your actual goal involves dissolving that power structure.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

psycho goreman was a lot of fun in the right state of mind.

not least is has exactly the right kind of bad acting (including from the kids) that is called for in this kind of movie.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

indigi posted:

nothing anyone has posted about psycho goreman makes it sound worth watching. so far all I know about it is that there’s bad acting, random body horror, a dumb story, bad effects, and child actors (who virtually always suck).

and i'd say that is fair. if you're looking to watch a good movie, this is not the one (though i honestly think you can scratch the "body horror", slotting in bad effects instead).

but i still very much appreciate it.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 23, 2021

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the thing to understand about movies is that the most good one has already been made, in james camerons avatar. but as we, as a population, have rejected that truth we now need to dredge the realms of bad movies for a new path to follow.

also good schlock is hard to come by in 2021. in 2002 i paid $5 for a ticket that let me see then-pretty-new movies ichi the killer, tattoo (a german movie about a serial killer skinning people for their tattoos made by famous artists), and battle royale in one night. those kinds of offers are now pretty rare (and only partially because corona means cinemas don't exist).

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i suspect the reviewers disliking disenchantment part 3 just liked part 2 more than i did. again a bunch of story beats that go nowhere, but, idk, it was pretty fun.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i certainly won't argue that too much, but i largely enjoyed it. if anything think they did a better job of making loose episodes vaguely guided by a story this season. they need to stop doing the futurama thing where they have a bunch of secret plot points that they refuse to have play out before cancellation though, all the major story moments just pass by without resolving or clarifying anything.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

indigi posted:

Patty Jenkins cannot direct action to save her life and fares only marginally better with acting, her Star Wars movie will be bad

oh no, not a star wars movie with bad action scenes and dubious acting

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I think the basic problem with star wars is that the core plot of "jedi good, sith bad" is functionally identical to "rebels good, empire bad" and neither is ever advanced beyond the superficial level.

fully sufficient for a trilogy of light action sci-fi movies.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mystes posted:

Same but the new star wars movies.

same but the old star wars movies.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

SmokaDustbowl posted:

evil dead 2 is the best shrooms movie

seems like cheating to make the best movie the best shrooms movie

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The Fool posted:

trailer is tonally consistent with the last 3 games

mk has always been about cheesy gory violence + taking itself way too seriously grimdark storyline

in conclusion, gently caress the haters

all true. adds up really cheesy anyway of course, just without insulting the audience by looking into the camera and winking about it.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, but it wasn't 11:30am anywhere in the world when the post was made. a bit fail really.

actually, now that we all tell time using devices with gps functionality we should abolish time zones and make the time shift continuous along longitude change.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

rjmccall posted:

their complaint is that a bunch of professional soldiers who’ve showered together hundreds of times aren’t constantly playing slap-as

this is a dumb surface level take which the article is already taken as a given is understood. the movie is obviously commenting on precisely this, where the service is by the fascistic society is used to replace and redirect natural drives.

the point of the article is that this kind of commentary is no longer done.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

man, starship troopers is such a good movie.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

haveblue posted:

this part isn't really a spoiler any more: most of the show is structured as a series of sitcom parodies, starting at the very beginning with an I love lucy/dick van dyke episode and later doing bewitched, brady bunch, malcolm in the middle, etc. the A-plots are standard sitcom stuff but with tinges of weirdness that slowly break apart the world

it turns out wanda was unable to deal with her grief over vision dying in infinity war and at her nadir reflexively used her latent witchery to create a pocket universe in which she and him could live happily ever after in the sitcoms she had good memories of from childhood. she also resurrected vision in this world as a magical construct. this attracts the attention of a real experienced witch who snuck in to subvert and steal wanda's powers. they have a big witch fight, which wanda wins, and she gives up on her fake world and family to try to deal with it more healthily in the future. it also attracts the attention of shield sword; they send in their best agent who accidentally gets turns into a superhero. everyone gets cool new outfits. please get hype for captain marvel 2

this all sounds like it'd be real good if it wasn't dumb superhero poo poo.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, almost certainly. might be real funny viewed through the correct lens of time, but that is hard to do if it surfaces now.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

I just wanna say I’m glad echinopsis is banned

gonna say that i disagree, but i suspect i am dumb to expect him to just loving shape up on the obviously stupid bits he was on about.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

i don't see the problem, it's exactly as dull as tolkein's writing

the hobbit and farmer giles are good, and deserve lovingly illustrated covers

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

i know. i saw it in the theater.

i dont get the teen girl's joke though

should have paid attention in the theatre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQCWV4vuzGo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

was going to say, attempting to be true to the source material is an obvious mistake for making a superman film. or comic for that matter.