Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

I got no standing here and even as a new poster I like Cav's posts, but "it's OK to be a dick as long as you're a well-loved member of the forum and you edit in an apology soon after" is not terribly great. It is in fact possible to be a genuine, kind, weird person and not do that.

On the other hand I'm not sure probation is gonna change much. Moderating isn't fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

mfcrocker posted:

We've only just escaped Trad Games :smith:

I demand a dedicated forum for pro wrestling tabletop games.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Eat My Fuc posted:

he’s an obscure musician who made hundreds of tuneless albums that barely resemble music he developed also a rabid fanbase and I enjoy some
of his work.

Is there a Jandek thread anywhere? It’s a weirdly good comparison now that I think about it.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

I'm highly casual and I don't care that much either way but the Trad Games forum got rid of their equivalent of the bad takes thread a couple years ago and it worked out fine. The industry discussion thread gets a lot of the bad takes these days but it's not "let's laugh at them," so feels more healthy.

On the other hand it's really easy to just not read the thread. Me, I read it because it entertains me.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

karmicknight posted:

I mean, that is probably true.

Nah, you're good.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Do we have a match request/recommendation thread anywhere?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3884304 might do you.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Lid is angrier than I am but he’s not off-base. For all that (say) Sandman makes a stirring speech about touching grass, I can’t help but notice that he’s not up to taking his own advice.

“Your skin must be at least this thick to talk about wrestling” is ultimately bullshit.

Edit: STAC Goat nailed it for me. Thanks for the smart words.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Eat My Fuc posted:

I agree and you can see it in the WWE thread where three or four posters who absolutely hate me no matter how nice I try to be constantly gang up on me for simply not wanting to doom post all the time and because I like Cody Rhodes and don’t post constantly praying for his downfall or call him a CHUD or whatever and that makes a lot of people not want to post, way more than a couple friends making jokes and not taking poo poo seriously in the AEW thread.

Also worth saying: there are people who dunk in the WWE thread but not the AEW thread. One place where I think Lid missed is the assumption that it’s a fixed group of people. Liking Cody isn’t a bad opinion even if you disagree with it. Same goes for disliking that run-in KENTA did that time.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

I'm sure there's problems in the AEW threads but beyond being one of the people called out in Lid's post the general premise seems wrong because this subforum is very popular for these forums which are in obvious and undeniable decline, and the AEW thread is the most popular. That doesn't mean it's good, but it's definitely not standing in the way of PSP increasing in popularity, and it's not standing in the way of even Lid posting there because Lid posts in it more than anyone. Just seems like if there were an actual major problem it would lead to the person angriest about it posting less, not more.

How do you know Lid's the person most upset by it?

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

Because they posted a long, weird post where they called people out about it. If there are people madder about the thread who aren't posting about it, so be it but generally when you are the one posting and calling people out you are the maddest online.

You're the maddest person (or, put differently, the unhappiest person) who's still posting about it on this forum, yes.

Look: you're a good poster and I value your contributions to this forum a ton. You do way more than I do, and I sincerely appreciate it. But please don't fall into the trap of saying "well, if people don't like X, why aren't more people complaining about it?" Sometimes -- might or might not be the case here -- it's because the people who hate it left!

And to be crystal clear, sometimes that's a good thing. This forum doesn't have a white supremacist problem and I hope any and all fascists feel uncomfortable and unhappy in as many places as possible. But I don't ever pretend I'm not happy to alienate the people I want to alienate.

Which, to also be crystal clear, isn't actually anyone involved in this discussion. If I didn't give a gently caress I'd just dunk on people.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

That's a fair point, and I don't mean to weigh the two things against each other like "someone wrote a list!" "well someone else bought a Trump avatar!" But I also don't think it's entirely irrelevant because this stuff happens in around specifically the AEW threads from what I can observe.

I actually don't think it's just the AEW weekly thread; that's just a really active thread so it's obvious. EMF pointed out that the WWE thread can be toxic and he's not wrong. I've seen people get a lot of poo poo for being passionate on the NJPW thread -- rare (more so these days because who watches NJPW any more?) but it happens.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

There are also a few people who’ve posted in this thread who haven’t been as antagonistic as Lid.

It’s hard to address them when you’re pissed off at someone being hyperbolic. Likewise, when one person is a solid rear end in the AEW thread, it’s hard to distinguish between the mildly snarky people and the real rear end in a top hat.

Alas, in the absence of actual moderation it’s unlikely to get sorted out.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

I'm genuinely confused. Like, if I disagree with someone am I not supposed to say anything just in case I share a similar viewpoint to someone else also disagreeing, because that can be misconstrued as bullying? That sounds like the opposite of a conversation about wrestling than one that has shorter statements and jokes thrown in.

Nah. I think it’s the difference between “I disagree, my opinion is X” and “you’re an idiot for thinking that, so I’m gonna make fun of you.”

I also personally figure that if two people have already expressed my particular point of disagreement that I don’t need to chime in, but that’s me.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

But you can't find a solution if we don't agree there's a problem. And clearly we don't.

This. What would I like to change? poo poo, I would have liked people to engage with STAC’s posts instead of continually looping back to Lid. I would like it if I could say “hey, I think this interaction I had with X sucked” without people getting snarky about it. I would like it if people who have been piled on in WWE and NJPW threads said “wait, you’re saying some AEW posters feel the same way I do about getting taunted?” instead of dismissing the idea that there are parallels.

I would like it if people who disagree with the above made constructive alternative suggestions rather than saying “that’s dumb, discussion over, moving on.”

But it is what it is.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Mekchu posted:

no one is doing this though?

I am not angry and I don’t think you’re a bad person but I need to point out that I just typed a sincere paragraph of things I’d like and rather than engage with it or ignore it, you picked one thing, said it wasn’t happening, and skipped over the rest without making a constructive alternative suggestion.

Edit: also thanks, GG, I’m glad it was helpful. Boiling it down to “take a moment to ask if you’re adding anything new or just adding to the chorus” is about the best thing, I think.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

WatermelonGun posted:

no one is obligated to refute your essay point-by-point

“Or ignore it.” I literally said I didn’t care if people ignored it. Who exactly is making up poo poo?

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

On another note: there are a couple of posters who I wrote off as assholes. This didn’t help my mood any. I made a point of noticing when they weren’t assholes and I tried not to read their posts with preconceptions. Did loving wonders. Is X still a jerk sometimes? Sure, but that doesn’t define them. Building an enemy list is not helpful. So that’s another constructive thing I recommend, take it or leave it.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Gumball Gumption posted:

To be fair I absolutely read it as a strawman first because I don't think anyone was being as dismissive as you made it sound. But just ignored that and tried to get to the deeper meaning of what you wrote. But that ties into all of this, it's easy to misunderstand what someone writes and everyone needs to be better about accepting that.

I am 100% capable of being a snarky rear end in a top hat and it crept in there.

Also: this is SA. It’s never going to be hugs and sunshine and it shouldn’t be. There’s a whole thread for dunking on stupid social media opinions.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Happiness posted:

there's a severe lack of introspection from people talking about how other people need to be more reflective on how rude they are, and it's impossible to imagine any sort of actionable changes coming out of this that wouldn't end up actually making it feel far less welcoming and fun here

Serious question: does my acknowledgment that I’m a dick sometimes and my note that I’ve reminded myself to stop classifying people as just assholes seem insufficiently introspective to you? I’m generally willing to learn.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

STONE COLD 64 posted:

you can unstick the toxx threads i think bimonthly IK contests make for better forum engagement than toxxes at this stage

This seems smart. I like the toxx thread because it’s a good way to say don’t take the boards too seriously, but it doesn’t get a ton of traffic right now.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

fez_machine posted:

Additionally, I would like to point out that there are people like Edge And Christian who used to make great effort posts in the forum but no longer do. Which suggests that posters have been voting with their feet.

I’m strongly resisting the urge to write some code to generate real data and this kind of post isn’t helping. I did do an eyeball on the weekly thread post count and it’s basically been static this year with a boost the last couple of weeks, but that’s not terribly good data by itself.

(I will succeed in that resistance, because it’s not gonna be particularly convincing to anyone.)

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

NienNunb posted:

I think even when you read the post entirely in good faith when it comes to the racism aspect, it’s still a call to arms to drive out all the posters you deem to not fit the posting-culture you want to cultivate.

Well, sure. So is saying that you’re going to make posts you think are funny no matter what. We’re all arguing for the posting culture we want; the idea that a forum can be completely inclusive is bullshit.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

NienNunb posted:

Listen to John Prine’s self titled album from 71

Best advice.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

TV Zombie posted:

There are a lot of links to excellent matches in the best and worst matches of 2022. Is there a way to compile all the links effectively without having to search through posts to find the links?

I guess one could bookmark links after opening them but surely there’s a better way?

I can probably automate that. Give me a week or so.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

karmicknight posted:

Am I crazy for not thinking 18 hours is particularly long.

People (including mods) consistently skip the bit where probes get longer for repeated offenses, but glancing at that dude’s rap sheet, I can’t say he looks like a repeat offender to me. So I’d actually say it’s somewhat long.

FWIW if those discussions felt overly heated I think that would have been a time for a mod to say “cool it down” and then hand out probes from there on.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

CarlCX posted:

there is a reason I barely use the buttons.

my desire to probe every bolt yaride post is 50% of that reason.

Blah blah blah escalating probe times DOOOO IT

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Thanlis posted:

I can probably automate that. Give me a week or so.

I haven't forgotten about this, it's just a pain in the rear end trying to parse through all the ways we specify matches. But I'm pretty close:

code:
% ./scrape-video.py
Match: MOTYC: Konosuke Takeshita vs. "Speedball" Mike Bailey - WCPW '93 Til Infinity 6/10
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0MlLCCmaTw

Match: HM: Laredo Kid vs. Taurus vs. Willie Mack, AAA Gira Aniversario XXX, March 13 -
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8zVo9wdtrg

Match: HM 20th February Sendai Girls Acceleration Night 3 Miyuki Takase & Ryo Mizunami vs Reiwa Ultima Powers (DASH Chisako & Hiroyo Matsumoto)
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P5H6j_KnCg

Match: MOTYC 20th February Sendai Girls Acceleration Night 3 Sendai Girls Tag Team Titles Team 200kg (Chihiro Hashimoto & Yuu) vs Manami & Mika Iwata
Video: https://youtu.be/9rQ7-5ZWWPo
If anyone has other video URL patterns I should be looking for let me know, that'd be helpful. I have YouTube, Twitch, and I know I need to go back and look at all of forkboy's posts because he knows all the Japanese video hosts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

The major ones that I check when I want to share something are VK.com, archive.org (for real, a whole host of 2022 poo poo has started turning up there, including episodes of Dynamite & Rampage), youku.com. BilliBilli is also worth checking although the specific account I followed stopped uploading new stuff.

Perfect, thanks!

quote:

Match: MOTYC 9th January Stardom New Year Stars Night 2 Goddesses Of Stardom Titles AliKaba (Giulia & Syuri) vs FWC (Hazuki & Koguma)
Video: https://m.vk.com/video-4499945_456247719?list=1498324bb375f84b6a&from=wall-4499945_20514

Match: HM 6th February OZ Academy Complete Control At Osaka OZ Academy Tag Team Titles Hiroyo Matsumoto & Rina Yamashita vs Mei Suruga & Momoka Hanazono
Video: https://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNTg0MDQ5NzA3Mg