Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Dramicus posted:

I know it's different for every plane, but when approximately should one be switching fuel tanks between right and left?

Say a plane has 30 gallons in each tank, should we consider switching around 25, 20, 15?

When I instructed in airplanes without a "both" position on the fuel selector, I used the rule of thumb of "fuel selector is on whatever tank the minute hand of the clock points to" for cruise, and then switched to the fullest tank as part of the descent checklist.

Probably doesn't work as well in airplanes with digital clocks, and I think MSFS substantially exaggerates the rolling moment caused by uneven fuel burn, so go with whatever works for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

I wish someone would already make a proper MSFS2020 fighter jet. I've seen that F22, but it's a barely working FSX plane with no cockpit.

A lot of the lack of fast jets is down to the flight model essentially breaking beyond Mach 1, since supersonic flight basically isn't in the simulator yet, although Asobo is supposedly adding it in the middle of this year.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

PT6A posted:

Is the G1000/430 in Prepar3d custom done or was it based on the the FSX codebase? Because that thing, despite its foibles, still works more or less properly compared to FS2020.

It's essentially the FSX software, since it uses the same (decade old) database FSX ran, and as far as I can tell, it has the same functions and bugs I remember in FSX.

The odd part about the MSFS one being so broken is that they're supposedly partnering with Garmin, and Garmin has PC simulators of the G430 and GNS530 available for free, so it's kind of baffling that Asobo seems to have taken zero advantage of there already being working Garmin simulators available.

MrYenko posted:

The elephant farting quietly in the dark corner of the room is the fact that this thing is apparently still based on FSX code. Which of course is based on 2004.

Which is based on 2002.

Which is based on 2000.

loving thing must be an absolute spaghetti nightmare.

I'm not sure how much FSX code is actually running in MSFS, since it uses a somewhat different file structure than the MS/LockMart sims, and seems to have abandoned support for things like 2d gauges in the virtual cockpits, which means it's largely not backwards compatible with older aircraft.

There's definitely some bits of FSX running around in there (since it'll support .pln and .flt files from the old sims), but I think stuff like the "legacy" flight model is closer to an emulator, since it's totally incompatible with the new flight modeling system.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 19, 2021

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Lord Stimperor posted:

I wish you could dial in historic weather also, or spectacular storms

That used to be possible with P3d/FSX, but Asobo have decided that they're not going to open up the SDK for anything weather related (I assume it's because of their contract with Meteoblue), so it's unclear exactly when REX Weather Force will actually have that capability, but it's apparently planned and shows up as a (currently disabled) option in the program.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Steadiman posted:

Someone is making a GTN750 module for MSFS and the free (beta) version is really neat to play with. Tried it with the Caravan and it's a very welcome addition to be honest, curious where this is gonna go. It certainly looks the part. He's also making a more fully-features payware version.

https://pms50.com/msfs/

It's worth mentioning that this isn't a "buy once" payware thing, since he's planning on making it a subscription for some reason.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
The in-game weather completely disagreeing with reality has been an ongoing thing since MSFS launched, but it has been steadily improving with various patches.

Probably the least painful fix would be if 3rd party developers had access to the weather engine to update their P3D programs to work on the new sim, but for whatever reason (I assume part of their contract with the wx provider), Asobo refuses to allow that to happen.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
It's worth mentioning that MSFS still has some weird poo poo with yaw, so some of the stuff you'll read about real world flying won't apply to the sim.

As an example, on takeoff, the current flight model basically has the rudder on taildraggers instantly becoming effective at a certain point (and the ground friction for the wheels seems to be an "all or nothing" model as well), so they're substantially more difficult to take off and land than they should be.

There's also some odd stuff with how spins are represented, but unless you're trying to do aerobatics, that isn't super obvious much of the time

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Lord Stimperor posted:

Can you elaborate? Has it got to do with the update? I think you've repeatedly been mentioning GPS problems before.

There's still a lot of basic functions for the in-sim GPS units that are either spectacularly broken or just not there.

Asobo did hire the WorkingTitle people to unfuck the GPS's last year (and they recently put out a preview video showing VNAC working properly), so hopefully stuff will get less broken as time goes on.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Lord Stimperor posted:

Ah, I've noticed some of these issues.

I just couldn't figure out whether IRL instrument navigation was always this cumbersome, or whether I wasn't properly using the systems. What I did notice is that whenever I select IFR approaches, RNAV is instinctively my second choice. I think that's because it's a bit more janky for me; sometimes the autopilot doesn't seem to take the vertical guidance and I can't make it, or only after I'm mashing buttons. ILS works out of the box 99.99% of the time.

But even if the GPS navigation were fixed, would you then actually be able to meaningfully use MSFS for procedure training? I still distrust the ATC not to send me into a mountainside (which it has in the past). Are you on VATSIM or something?

:shepicide:

RNAV is pretty broken in the sim right now. In the real world, it's often significantly quicker to fly an RNP or GPS approach than to do an ILS (my home field has an ILS that's about a 20 mile final because of terrain, but there's an RNP that only needs about a 5 mile final), but MSFS is janky enough that approaches don't work at all like they should most of the time.

As for procedures, the MSFS ATC is basically useless. The phraseology is completely wrong much of the time, and there's a lot IFR stuff (course reversals, climb/descend via clearances, direct to or vectors to RNAV approaches, etc...) where a mix of the ATC being pants-on-head stupid and the broken GPS just completely wrecks IFR procedures.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

JayKay posted:

Things seem smoother and I'm seeing a about a 10-20 FPS boost.

The Carenado M20R Ovation seems to be broken though, can't manipulate the fuel tank selector. Tried flipping it over to legacy and still couldn't do it.

Edit: It probably just needs to be updated for SU5

Just a heads up that Carenado have historically been poo poo at supporting their products, so it may be months before this gets fixed.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
It may be something with how MSFS supports gauges, since this update was supposed to drop support for some kind of XML gauges (which basically everyone used), but Asobo changed their mind at the last minute, although it's unclear if the update that got released supports them, or if that'll be coming in a later fix.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

hello internet posted:

I really wish ATC would stop barking at me to expedite my climb to x height when I’m already there. Barometer is set right too

That's from a bug where the sim doesn't account for the effects of temperature correctly (it did before the Xbox release, so Asobo broke something), and the last hotfix that was supposed to fix it somehow didn't, so there's going to be an even hotter fix that should correct that.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Do you have any kind of 3rd party content installed? If you do, try renaming the "community" folder and see if that helps, since the most recent update caused issues with a lot of add-ons.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
The official forums have a bugs subforum, so that'll give you an idea of what's broken.

What you're describing sounds like it might be an issue with time acceleration, the AI pilot, or active pause, since all those have been known to occasionally do some weird poo poo.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

TescoBag posted:

One more question showing how much of a newbie I am to flight sims. When different sites (wiki's etc) talk about cruise speed, maximum speed etc. Is this IAS, TAS or ground speed?

If it's referencing a top speed or cruise speed (and isn't from a performance chart), it's true airspeed 99% of the time.

Indicated airspeed is what you'll get off performance charts and from the V-speeds or the airspeed indicator.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Are there any plans to improve the King Air? I found a mod but it looks pretty hacky and incomplete.

There have been various efforts to try and fix the flight model (which Asobo has actually made some progress on in the last couple of updates), but I think the avionics are the fundamentally broken that they'd require a large scale remodeling of the cockpit, and/or customizing one of the stock avionics suites (since custom coding a Proline probably won't happen) to get it anywhere close to accurate.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Lord Stimperor posted:

Is there any guide to modding MSFS airplanes? Specifically I'm interested in how difficult it'd be to take an existing airplane and give it roughly the performance of a very similar different airplane. If it's just a matter of editing some config files, I might try to turn on of Asobo's planes into the one my flight school uses.

Depending on what you're trying to do, a lot of stuff can be done via editing various .cfg files, which are usually pretty self-explanatory, and sites like fsdeveloper or the SDK can help explain most of the stuff in them.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Funnily enough, Asobo's payware planes have openable doors. That's a primo feature reserved only for paid DLC apparently.

I wouldn't be shocked if opening doors was a planned feature that got cut in the rush to get MSFS out the door last year, since I have the distinct impression that it wasn't intended to launch when it did.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

TescoBag posted:

Anyone know what version of the garmin the king air uses? I'm looking for a mod for it but I don't know which one to install.

If you fly any of the glass cockpit airplanes, all of the WorkingTitle mods are worth getting, since they add a lot of functionality that the default units are missing, and they fix a bunch of bugs too.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Squiggle posted:

I picked up the stupid li'l ultralight from Fly Away Home that Asobo sells for a tenner, and that thing is so fun in VR. It's got me looking into the marketplace airplanes a bit, and I'm curious what people think about some of the Carenado planes? They seem to mostly be well received, but it looks like the Arrow has some problems maybe? People don't seem too big on it, but I was looking at the other Piper aircraft or maybe the M20R Ovation? I like flying GA, but was looking for a step up from the Cessnas.

Carenado stuff usually follows a pattern of "looks good, flies okay, has some issues".

Basically, they'll release something, issue one patch, and then move on to releasing something else, and the fact that their aircraft are only sold via the marketplace means it's impossible for anyone else to fix the problems.

MSFS breaking stuff with every update has somewhat helped with them issuing more patches, but as an example, the M20 has been broken since SU5 released (over a month ago), and Carenado keeps coming up with excuses why it's not fixed yet.

If you're looking at the Pipers, the Justflight models are going to be much better products, bit they're a bit more expensive.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Squiggle posted:

Whoa, wait, so there's a market/add-on ecosystem beyond the in-built Marketplace? poo poo.

Okay, Justflight's stuff...looks like a nice Turbo Arrow III. Cool!

Probably the two biggest 3rd party sites are Justflight (they sell their own stuff, and some from other developers), and simmarket.

Justflight tends to be a bit more expensive, but their stuff is usually very good, and the 3rd party stuff they sell tends to be pretty high quality as well.

Simmarket is kind of like the Alibaba or Amazon of FS add-ons, since they'll let basically anyone list anything there, which means there's some really good stuff (indiafoxtecho and Sim Skunk Works come to mind), and some absolute crap, since they've had more than a few products get yanked when it was discovered the developers had stolen content from someone else or released something they didn't have rights to.

The MS marketplace usually works pretty well, and it's probably the easiest to use, but it suffers from MS being very slow to approve content (it's usually a couple weeks behind 3rd party sites), slow to issue updates, and since it has to maintain the same ERSB/PEGI rating as MSFS, there's a ban ok developers selling anything depicting weapons, which means that aircraft like the Corsair, F-15 and F-14 sold there are actually missing content that's contained on the same airplanes sold via other means.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
The Savage Cub tops out somewhere around 1300lbs, whereas the XCub tops out around 2300lbs, so the XCub is almost twice as heavy, which means it'll have more inertia to deal with.

In general, short landings are a matter of airspeed and aim point control. CubCrafters don't make the POH for XCub publicly available, but I believe the published approach speed is something like 55mph, so that's a good point to start, but as you get more comfortable flying the airplane, you can probably drop that a bit. Since airspeed on the approach means you have more airspeed/momentum to get rid of on landing, so you're shooting for the slowest approach speed you can maintain while still maintaining positive control of the aircraft.

For the aim point on landings, I always taught my flight students to pick a reference on the windshield in front of them (a bug splat or scratch), put that spot on the aiming point (which is a couple hundred feet in front of where you want to touch down), and basically keep that reference on top of the aiming point until you need to flare the airplane.

I'd also highly recommend the Bush League Legends XCub mods (assuming you're on PC), since they help improve the default flight model a lot, especially in the low-speed regime.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

JayKay posted:

Are there any tips to landing the JF Turbo Arrow? My approaches and finals are very, VERY unstable and I've not had this issue with any other plane or sim.

If you're running into issues with pitch stability, make sure you're using the trim every time you change the power or flap settings, since that makes it easier to keep the airplane going where you want it to.

In general, you should be shooting for something like 70-75kts on final (gear down, flaps down, prop full forward), and you'll need to keep a bit of power in throughout the approach, since the Arrow has a lot of drag with everything hanging out.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

tater_salad posted:

is there a decent ATC mod for MSFS? (aside from the live ones)?

Nope.

My understanding is that the ATC and weather systems are things Asobo absolutely doesn't want to provide 3rd parties access to, so any fixes to them will likely have to be "official" from various sim updates.

That said, the ATC in P3d was also pretty bad, so there's not a great track record of flight sims worn good ATC

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

Why? I guess I can understand the weather because I think they are doing some sort of Bing stuff in the background. But their ATC sucks rear end.

P3d and FSX were the same way (I think there was only one big 3rd party ATC addon for each, and it basically had to run outside the sim), so I suspect it's something with the ATC being integrated into the program deeply enough that they don't want people messing with it.

Asobo has also cracked down on 3rd party stuff operating outside the core simulator compared to how LockMart and Microsoft ran things (they've locked access to files that allow 3rd party AI air traffic to be imported, limited how external flight models can be used, and restrict what can get network access from inside the sim), so I'm assuming it's a mix of copyright/licensing stuff, maybe some DRM, and probably some side effects of abandoning core code that was basically old enough to drink.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

tater_salad posted:

on that note.. The Beech 1900 was one of my favorite planes in FSX any recommendations for a replacement since no one's made it for MSFS yet.

If you had the Carenado one, they'll probably put out an MSFS version at some point, since they seem to be redoing all of their FSX/P3d stuff for the new sim.

Outside of that, someone made an Embraer 110 for MSFS, but I've got no idea how good it might be.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

saw 2 f-35's do impossible turns(v. low altitude go around) over winooski today after a botched approach... or maybe thats what they were going for, who knows. Hate those airplanes especially when they throttle them right over the town. Do ga and commercial have to wait around for that poo poo?

In the real world, ATC sequencing for IFR is usually pretty close to "first come, first served", with exceptions for emergency aircraft and stuff like medivac flights, but VFR gets a bit more complicated.

Fast military jets and GA going into the same field makes things interesting, since it's not uncommon for something like an F-15 or T-38 to be 100kts faster than a piston single on final, so controllers have to figure out how to sequence that without losing separation.

If there's parallel runways, the solution is pretty easy (GA goes to one, military goes to the other), but for a single runway, controllers will often have a GA airplane either extend part of their traffic pattern or do a 360 (or two) on downwind to let the faster airplanes get in first.

Even IFR stuff with just airlines can get complicated, since there can be significant differences in final approach speeds, so the idea is for controllers to keep just enough space between arrivals to not lose separation, while also not allowing too much space, since that screws up the arrival rate and can result in some comically long downwind legs at busy airports.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 6, 2021

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

PT6A posted:

So, I'll be honest here: I grew up on this lake, and I'm thrilled that I can see my erstwhile house in FS2020, but I cannot for the life of me remember there being a cliff in the middle of the lake.

Depending on where it is, there's a chance a 3rd party mod fixed the issue, so it may be worth looking to see if there's some on flightsim.to that addresses the issue.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Squiggle posted:

I just figured out how to read and use the taxiway signs, so that's exciting! Now I'm slwoyl trying to figure out the parts of this sim that I sort of just muddle through now.

Here's a stupid question: is there any autopilot setting that is just..."follow the flight plan you dumb machine?"

Heading mode is easy enough to figure out, and I figured out setting the Hold Altitude mode and using Vertical Speed mode to ascend/descend to it (although sometimes I'm not sure why the vertical speed levels out to the set altitude and sometimes doesn't), but I don't really know what Flight Director or FLC mode do. I swear, I had it happen once but haven't figured out consistently how to use the AP.

EDIT: Actually, this is the AP system in the prop planes and the Cessna jet...I suppose the fly-by-wire jets do this. Which hey, if that's the answer, cool! I don't necessarily want AI Control, just trying to figure out the plane systems and what they can do.

The flight director is the thing that looks like a squished, upside down V, and it's basically showing you where to point the airplane (by keeping the triangle that represents the airplane on the PFD inside it) to follow the commands entered for the autopilot.

FLC is short for "flight level change", and it's essentially a way to change altitude by pitching for a specific airspeed.

If you're level at 5000ft and want to descend to 3000ft using FLC (I'm using the default Cessna 172 as an example) you'd put that lower altitude into the PFD, and then hit FLC. At that point, you'll see FLC and your current airspeed (at the moment you hit the FLC button) show up along the upper part of the PFD, and you'd then reduce power and the airplane would pitch down to maintain that airspeed during the descent.

The same is true of a climb, and you can change the speed FLC is holding by using the buttons you'd use to change the vertical speed in VS mode.

As for "following the dumb flight plan", if you'd used the MSFS flight planner to create one , all you'd need to do is hit NAV, and the autopilot/flight director will follow the GPS plan, as long as the CDI needles are magenta, which means it's going to follow the GPS. If they're blue, it'll follow a VOR or ILS when you hit NAV.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Squiggle posted:

EDIT 2: So, extrapolating a bit, but... if I'm in LOC mode instead of GPS, does that mean if I set a NAV1 frequency, NAV mode will aim the plane toward it?

It'll aim the airplane to intercept whatever radial the CDI is set to if you've got a VOR selected (and you're in range to receive it), and it'll try and intercept the localizer if you dial in an ILS frequency.

skooma512 posted:

IIRC VNAV is not working in any aircraft in MFS at this time.

If you download the WorkingTitle NXi beta, it's got VNAV, but it's still a bit wonky because of how the core sim is set up

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Squiggle posted:

I finally picked up the M20R Ovation from the store now that Carenado fixed its fuel selector, and it's a fun old plane! The proto-Garmin is a fun limitation to work through, but it's nice to have alongside the steam gauges. It's finicky about fuel flow and temperature at startup, so I kept killing the engine at idle speeds. Reminds me of IL-2 planes.

I've also mostly figured out ILS (so THAT'S what that alarm sound was when I came in for landings!), but I can't quite tell why sometimes when I hit AP with APR mode enabled my altitude seems to stick, or the glideslope is otherwise misaligned and I don't drop right. I do seem to line up with the runway, but then have to bail on the APR when I'm not actually losing any altitude. ALT hold is off, but I'm also landing in kinda rinky-dink places most of the time, so I wonder if they're just misconfigured in-game for that approach. It's been fun looking up and learning to read actual airport diagrams, though.

For the ILS to work, make sure you've got the correct localizer frequency tuned in the nav radio (airnav.com should have links to every publicly available approach chart in the US, since the sim doesn't seem to list them anywhere), and that you're intercepting the glide slope from below, since autopilots won't capture the glide slope if you're substantially above it.

As for the M20 engine dying at idle, that's actually a bug, and given Carenado's track record, it's unclear if or when it'll ever get fixed.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

e.pilot posted:

I need to put flight sim on my win3 so I can fly while I fly

I've seen someone doing that in a crew room. I assume they were killing time on reserve and we're trying to maintain proficiency, but it still struck me as a bit odd.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

MrYenko posted:

I don’t read NOTAMs in real life. I’m going to work you around any airspace or hazards, but loving reading NOTAMs. The NOTAM system IRL is more broken than the FS ATC system.

Welcome to SomethingAwful, Senator Inhofe.

Seriously though, the NOTAM system is comically broken, and I don't think anyone actually reads all of them for a given flight.

There's been a NOTAM that SEA doesn't have 100LL available published every day for the last five years, and despite the fact that the unavailability is permanent, that stupid NOTAM still shows up every time I fly there, and it's occasionally listed above things like taxiway or navaid closures that might actually matter to someone.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Bedurndurn posted:

I have become the guy who buys DLCs for flight sims. :negative:

The 4 seasons tree thing at [

The Carando planes are on sale, any of them particularly worth picking up?

The Carenado Mooney is still broken (it no longer crashes the sim, but it's now pretty underpowered, the engine dies at idle, and Carenado will probably never fix it), but there's flightsim.to mod that fixes it.

Their Arrow is generally not as good as the Flight1 models, but I think the Seneca and Seminole are supposed to be decent.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Lord Stimperor posted:

I haven't played the Mooney since it was broken. When it was working, it was lovely. Engine sound is nice, and the mix of gauges - analogue instrument cluster, digital engine indicators, garmin gps feeding the analogue CDIs - makes it very adventurous feeling. In other words, I did not regret the purchase. And it really was stupid fast, hope it'll be fixed soon.

The flightsim.to mod fixes the main issues with the airplane (the engine quitting at idle, and the performance dropoff), but Carenado has historically been pretty poo poo at supporting their products (their usual model is one patch, then abandon it), and their P3d/FSX models largely got fixed by the 3rd party community, so I'd be really shocked if Carenado ever fixed the Mooney.

It actually took them somewhere over a month after sim update 5 came out to patch the airplane so it wouldn't crash MSFS (every other payware developer needed maybe half that long), so Carenado are really pretty poo poo supporting their stuff.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

FunOne posted:

I thought we were getting some freebie combat planes as part of the marketing synergy between MSFS and the new TopGun movie.

We are, but the release got moved back until whenever the movie comes out next year.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
This seems like the first sim update that hasn't fundamentally broken something that'll require a hotfix.

There's a couple of 3rd party mods that need some tweaking, but it looks like they actually tested this one properly, and nothing big slipped through the gaps.

What'll be fun is Sim Update 7, the Reno expansion, and the GOTY content all hitting at the same time, since there's some significant changes (taildragger ground handling, wake turbulence, and ground effect, and possibly supersonic flight and afterburners) coming, so there's no way those won't catastrophically break something.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
That'll get fixed next month, since "unfuck the multiplayer" is on the fix list to make the Reno content work.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

spaceblancmange posted:

I'm checking it out on gamepass again after a year and it certainly runs a lot better. Are they ever going to add a replay mode to this? I really miss that feature.

Sort of.

The big update in November is adding replay functionality, but it'll only be accessible via dev mode, since it's not completely finished or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Shipon posted:

They really need an option to keep the FPS counter but not stay in dev mode where nothing counts.

There's a mod called "shift-z stats" on flightsim.to that can display an FPS counter and a bunch of other stuff too.