Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Yvonmukluk posted:

Counterpoint: #OrangeIsSus

There's indeed a political campaign with non-official Among US badges with an orange US guy with a Trump haircut and a blue US guy going "orange is sus, kick him".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Today, Doctor Sparkle has posted his first somewhat shorter in game range Chrontendo episode. 10 games, possibly so he doesn't feel super pressured into posting a one hour behemoth of research for a bunch of titles every like, 8 months or so. Given the videos he posted beforehand, his shorter scope videos will make it less harsh on his body, given all of the stuff he went thru recently, even before COVID started.

And it's NEARLY 2 hours lmao

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Kim Justice posted:

Nah that was totally fine words that I saw, fleetingly. We've talked about it a bit. Not to go into detail but he's in much more of a better place now than he was a few years ago.

What's probably worth mentioning too is that Larry's channel is in many ways quite a collaborative effort and there's more than just himself working on the scripts/editing. Not that he really pretends otherwise tbh, he'll always say if asked.

Can I still make fun of this particular segment of the Beanie Babies video?

*Joe Biden voice* Come On Man, at least ADD some pics of Beanies on this sentence you're saying. Jeez!

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

CYBEReris posted:

peter coffin went from a redbaiting liberal to the specific sort of tankie that people who get labelled tankies despise, in the same category as phil greaves and redkahina, it's incredibly funny

The problem with people like that is that in order to argue against the popularization of such politics being spoken in such a somewhat approachable way, you have to actually propose an alternative that addresses the same problems or at least make an effort to back up your authority in some way. And if one just ends up on a constantly self-twisting position where "One must own the shitlibs no matter what", you just end up with incomprehensible cornucopias on how the real left didn't want Evo back in power or how demanding M4A or an increase in wages is just cope.

Something that Jim's recent video reminded me of is Townsends's yt channel where he does all of that historical cooking. Now he's apolitical not on the sense that he's trying to sell you something as like common sense or some horseshit, but trying to be the kindest and most approachable person regarding cooking old stuff and talking about the history of cooking old stuff. Like his two videos were clearly done for people to relax\distract from election day.

Part because there was an interesting incident that made him post this video, complaining about modern politics on his youtube channel. Now from watching it, it was clear that he didn't expect ... suddenly all of that feedback! What could have possibly caused such consternation? Specially about a desert for a president?

Here's the video.

Yes he just walked accidently into THERE'S AN ORANGE CHEETO IN THE WHITEHOUSE and that's kind of hilarious, even if I feel bad for him.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Hooooly poo poo it took this long for me to realize why Contra had that name.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 16, 2020

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Jon Bois doing a Soccer Video? That's unexpected!

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Latest Chrontendo is all kusoge, and it's funny seeing like a chunk of these get the "well, look at all of the positives and neat things they tried, how daring it was and how hard they failed on nearly all of it" treatment.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

When I saw Laura Dale tweet on how the Jimquisition's latest video was a "big one" and saw "20 minutes", I didn't realize it was another kind of "big"

Congrats, James Stephanie Sterling, on the new name and presentation!

Kunster fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 25, 2021

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

OH WOW! I missed the part where Doug took two real life people's mental health problems and made them into his character's backstory. :stare:

Youtube recommended this same video to me and I skipped it due to it being recommended after I watched a particularly crummy video on The Day The Clown Cried but the more and more people post about it I wanna get some free time to watch it. The only impact I had on it was half remembering it when someone made a *inspirational* gif set of his speech on the Lorax review.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Last weekend you could easily sap all your lifeforce from witnessing the discussion behind Vision talking about grief. Jesus Christ I can easily, easily picture a Sarah Z video on like the reaction to that line and the sheer backlash to the reaction of that line, like, a few years down the line to the point I almost felt bad for capestuff enjoyers.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

It's gonna be like, this Ac-Bu videoclip but with people entering bigger and bigger flesh enclosures, isn't it.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Dias posted:

Vision said "What is grief if not love persisting?". The Internet sucks so it's either the greatest line in written English or hacky, terrible and I wouldn't be surprised if someone said ~problematic~.

Pick between "War crime apologist" "Human culture destroying", "Infantilizing all media as we know it", "Soy face poo poo", "We must all return to monke" poo poo being screamed at all at once over and over again for two straight days. By nearly every left figure on american twitter of note. Over "well that line touched me a bit".

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

That's not what the person said and the way they put it is why it got roundly mocked.

Oh I get that, but ppl were also swarming anyone who said anything vaguely positive about the line. It's a shlocky line, but given the right mood that sorta stuff can poke thru.

https://twitter.com/BrandyLJensen/status/1366078043375226881?s=19

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

Oh I have no problem being moved by stuff like that - who doesn't tear up when the Terminator does the thumbs up when it's lowered into the molten steel?

Yeah, it was a lot of people going beyond "This is not the highest form of writing and that shows how limited one's view in media if one thinks that" into weird, somewhat vitrolic analysis of one's spirit and nature and this means to human culture somewhat.

I watched that Demo Reel doc and now NC's spiel on the Lorax review went from "kind of infuriating" to "honestly depressing to listen to".

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Jamie Faith posted:

People are very upset at Sarah Z over these tweets lol

https://twitter.com/marysuewriter/status/1371532227444572163

It's hosed up seeing like a good part of art twitter not seeing anything weird or wrong about these series of posts and telling off Sarah Z, the person whose latest video was "Hey, tumblr sure had a lot of STDH nonsense that people brought wholesale" for noticing just how similar both cases were. I'm not surprised, just disappointed, that it escalated straight into telling they knew where she lives. It's one of the things I certainly don't miss from the Obama years.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Mar 16, 2021

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

fun hater posted:

how could you see that exchange between an adult and a "teen" and think its a real conversation that happened. how melted is your brain that you really think teens talk like that

Yeah, it's what gets me about it. Once every few weeks or so someone posts a dm thing like this, and no matter how outlandish or fake sounding it does, I get to "enjoy" reams of tweets of people freaking the gently caress out about it and threatening to call the teen's future manager for a whole evening, sometimes whole days. And seeing Sarah Z go "I don't know, this smells like bullshit. Why are you making pins about this." is something I wish I had seen let's say, 5 years ago.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I think people thought about all of those tumblr posts and went "Ah, I can't be like this! Surely I'm smarter than all of these children" and end up angrily telling me about Tide Pods or whatever.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I've always hated this kind of talk ever since it blew up with someone who was found to go be actually trying to get it on underage artists, managed to drag the blame of that into "people are harassing me bc I drew a Steven Universe character in a slightly different way", and way too much people didn't bother to even go to this person's tumblr page and scroll a few pages where she was replying to THOSE accusations, and when I was trying to show people that, got accused of being a vassal to those internet harassment sites despite being right there on the open.

Years of this poo poo building up to some of those dumbasses writing the vocabulary on how people speak and continuously pinning the blame on anyone on tumblr/curiouscat anons, imageboards and "fandom haters" over anything, no matter how dire, giving ideas to some of the most ghoulish of PR. I've seen some of the worst kinds of behaviors be constantly sidetracked with poo poo like that over and over again and I wish, I just wish, for One Goddamn Second, that these loving imbeciles would actually go "No, you weren't screamed at because you were mushing the wrong Barbie Dolls together, it was bc you DM slid underaged artists for poon and they leaked the DMs" for once.

Maybe we wouldn't have Andrew Cuomo addressing nursing home death coverups with "Lol Cancel Culture" had that thing been nipped in the bud.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Alaois posted:

yeah thats quinton reviews alright

He's very, very hit and miss about these sorts of things and that's probably one of the weaker episodes in terms of subject matter, specially given how that intro hyped that. Maybe I'm spoiled by stuff like Whang or WavyWebSurf or the videos he did previously, but it just felt like a "Did you know Chills exist?" video.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Specially given that one of the posts a bit after she dropped that was something on the grounds of "Yeah I have a big rear end audience here and that was a pretty hosed up post", I think even she was like "Yeah you both have a point, I'm still gonna take a break".

Given the Mara stuff however? I get the feeling we're gonna see less "You Ungrateful Proles!!!!" crap these days.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

You've seen the latest posts right? Picture that stuff being shot directly at someone who was very, very vocal on how weird the Hollywood inside world can be.

Jimbot posted:

I'm still reeling from learning that Ben Shaprio is Mara Wilson's cousin.

Like holy crap, that's a massive political stance divide between parts of the family. Turkey day must have be a real hoot.

https://twitter.com/_danbe/status/1375158579821445131

Kunster fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Mar 27, 2021

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

FYI they tend to pop on people's feeds by default, and given most people who follow one tend to follow the other, there's a good chance those got boosted. The weird defense just feels very Frank Derbin-esque.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

So... Jim Stephanie Stearling did an interview about their comming out as NB.

https://youtu.be/XGglZ8SnAPY

If I could post that gif of Danny Glover comming home with pizza, I would.

I don't know how much europeans post here, but she's definitely right about Lt. Gruber: Allo Allo tended to be very, very lighthearted about the germans and going "Oh yeah, Lt. Gruber was a nazi officer" was a second to third fiddle to him being a very soft and camp figure. Hell, most of the plot was entirely revolved everyone trying to get highly prized paintings than any deep analysis of the war at the time. He's not a Landa or a Stroheim, he's someone that boomers would love to have on Cameo to commission birthday wish messages from him.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I think if people can go "oh don't listen to Karl Jobst, he's a chud" without much evidence, banning the way to show such evidence would be a bad idea.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I always figured that she doesn't need to be this coddled.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I'm honestly looking forward to tomorrow's RetroPals stream because they're going to do ZX ports of arcade titles, and usually the US response to ZX Spectrum titles is "... wow, you euros sure put up with a lot of garbage" and as Someone of That Time™ and an Euro© I'm sometimes inclined to agree. Them usually being way nicer is going to be a treat.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I've got my own bones with Izzy's way of approaching things but I feel bad about her making a video about an incident where she stresses, over and over again, that the chances it actually happened for that reason were small and nearly every comment is sorta proving her point.

Kim Justice posted:

Hey, thanks for the awareness! This was so much fun to watch live, even if a bunch of games don't work. Lots of good ones too! Alongside some thoroughly awful ones. Always great to see the Speccy get love, and Danny and Alex are thoroughly cool peeps.

I think what made me think about posting this particular bit was watching your long video about Manic Miner's history and how influential it was and immediately get a twitch notification that evening about an event where some streamers I follow that are the kind of people to do constant varied videogame challenges just poo poo all over that particular title. It was the UK videogame history equivalent of the Patton Oswalt's Jerry McGuire bit.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 1, 2021

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Speaking of games and April Fool's, Civvie uploaded a review and playthrough of a fake Hellraiser NES game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfoNSN7ACtc

I admire the effort put into this. It does feel like a real bad videogame tie-in except for the invincible Mario fight .

It's not only a fake game, it's one with one hell of a story. A chunk of what he said on that review is real: Color dreams did try such a thing, the sprites do resemble a bit what was in the works for a while, according to this old site.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I thought the part in the "review" about the beefed-up custom cartridge was completely made up but no, they actually tried to make one. Not only make one, they actually loving pulled it off. The third-party unlicensed Nintendo dev that switched to making cheapo bible-themed Doom clones were actually unsung pioneers all along.

Civvie almost made a Bio Force Ape type situation (Only that game was real) here. Given that Color Dreams\Wisdom Tree had to go around the lockout chip to even run stuff, you could sideload technically extra hardware on it.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I thought the part in the "review" about the beefed-up custom cartridge was completely made up but no, they actually tried to make one. Not only make one, they actually loving pulled it off. The third-party unlicensed Nintendo dev that switched to making cheapo bible-themed Doom clones were actually unsung pioneers all along.

No wonder I vaguely remembered this to be somewhat real: Whang made a video about it last month!

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Mr.Radar posted:

[*]Today I Found Out: An "interesting facts" channel, tends to highlight less-known historic stories.[/list]

One time I binged on that channel video and somehow that guy managed to poop out a video defending McDonalds on the McDonalds Coffee Lawsuit in 2016. Like after nearly everyone figured that McD's hosed up hard on that. I'll have to go watch that channel again at some point, but seeing the smarmy, constant :3 expression on his face made me remove him from rotation for quite a few years.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Bakeneko posted:

In what way was he doing that? I just watched it and he seems quite critical of the way they handled the situation. He pointed out how their attitude in court lost them the lawsuit.

You're right, now that I watched it again.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

It was funny that on another place I go to, someone was confused and upset at why a Content Creator That I Won't Mention That Tends To be Very Unsavory was very popular and I wrote a small ditty on how while their stuff wasn't very good, their work was extremely prolific and had enough resources and frequent scheduling so in a way, in the time span you'd get something like a Sarah Z video or a Folding Ideas video, you'd get hours and hours of quick output from people whose work was let's say, youtube drama watch. If you were on a particularly dry spell and very slow day, at some point you'd just click that just to see what the hell it was to clear out because no one put out anything on that day. Sure enough a bit after that post Quinton Reviews and Izzyzizz both post hour long videos on Animeme and The Warrior Cats fandom, as if fate was like "OH NO I MUST PROVE YOU AS WRONG AS POSSIBLE".

I'd say a more blatant example of Doug's Sailor Moon video was his really old Airborne review, where he tries to pin the main character's motives as being fetish driven. The motives of "I was a surf practitioner and I miss being able to do that now that I live in Alaska". I'm amazed no one brings up that particular review when discussing like, one of his weirder ones.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Tasting History is now a full time gig for Max. Don't get wrong, when I saw this notification I was spooked in a way but then I got spooked in a different way when I saw this on my youtube notifs.

macabresca posted:

Super Eyepatch Wolf posted on twitter his story about a new pc and it quickly turned into existential horror

https://twitter.com/EyePatchWolf/status/1382355450050580486

This seems to be a bad year to build computers, as Caddicarus had a rather similar story.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I've watched Vinny Vinesauce describe, for 3 hours, with the sun rising up on the distance and my sanity (It was a bad summer and couldn't sleep much, and he was the only guy around), this segment with short sentences, repetitiously, this small Norm Mcdonald skit. What I'm saying with this is that I'm going to experience this in the same way I've experienced a lot of things.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I know I tried to make myself try not to commentate much on the video de jour as to be fair with it at least before I fully watched, but why did she made a bit about hearing from a pal on the DMs whose identity she had to withhold and then immediately show it was Todd In the Shadows?

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Pretty sure it was a joke. Like, "for privacy's sake I have to withhold this person's name, also they're half-Vietnamese, also they're Todd"

Still watching the video so I can be fair on its final assessment, but I took it somewhat seriously as Todd was dragged years ago to address the Cloud Atlas nonsense so I thought it was a weird respite of that rather than "Haw! Here's my secret pal who's not that secret!"

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

There's a few things that stuck to the back of my head from watching it fully and those are things that I did before I took some time to think about it:

-Why would you bring up the "lol twitter sure cared a lot about shrimp guy" weeks after it was revealed that he was involved with that reddit mod that covered up a major sex crime and was even a factor in """non-wokescold"" spaces like Some Ordinary Gamers.

-Ok so she does all of that spiel about POCs not being monoliths and how it's messed up to do that kind of "Here's a person that considers that to be bigoted, therefore any crit against it comes from non POC"... by engaging on that in her own way by bringing up her POC pals.

-Why would she bring up Glenn Greenwald on the midst of all of this when a big glaring thing on his reporting was to gather the required intelligence and proof necessary to release and clear Lula da Silva. Which is like... a pretty drat big deal, and possibly something that would easily eclipse her body of work. Like, for "lol clueless white person liberal", ignoring the effect on Brazil is pretty much indicative of "clueless white person liberal". It's MovieBob poo poo.

-Also come on why ya gotta copy that shrimp guy jab from Natalie when people easily noticed the tie to the weird child kidnapping case coverup.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

stev posted:

That's not really what she did though? She just gave her perspective on events in that she took advice from POC she knew personally rather than randos - and acknowledged instances where that was the wrong approach. I don't think there are any instances where it's used as an excuse or justification for anything.

Very well, and that's understandable given the thing I mentioned up there re: Cloud Atlas.

I'm still gonna be pissy over the Brazil stuff.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Dias posted:

I'unno the context but Greenwald is...complicated. His reporting on Lava-Jato was very important for Brazil but he also has a history of Real Bad Takes and a willingness to engage in the MARKETPLACE OF IDEAS that is arguably dangerous sometimes.

Yeah, I'm aware that he can be honestly messed up, and on plenty other occasions I'd nod along with it, but from watching the video, and given the end, and how Lava Jato ended, it just landed really bad on my way.