Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Democratic Pirate posted:

I would highly recommend reading Jon Bois’s speculative fiction series on the future of football in America (17776 and now 20020). I’m not good at descriptions, but it’s amazing and narrated by 3 nigh-omniscient satellites.

I’ve been mildly disappointed with the sequel so far because while the first one was a legit speculative science fiction novella that also happened to include ridiculous football and comedy the second is mostly just the ridiculous football and comedy. It’s still pretty funny and the amount of thought put into the location quirks of the football fields and personality of the teams is fantastic but it’s just missing that special something that made 17776 so much more.

Still worth reading and his videos, as infrequent as the new ones are, is a great catalogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Garrand posted:

I don't know if LockPickingLawyer really gets posted here but I wanted to post this specifically because of how hard I laughed at the pivot towards the end
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxmmwWwW6TY

He has some part of an online storefront for lockpicking tools and going from 'this tool is usually too thick for this' to 'so come on down to covertinstruments and I'll sell you the right ones!' killed me. Video talking about his site here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bigsHNdATlY

Huh, my work uses a lot of these for some equipment and there’s been at least one instance recently, which was on a security camera, of someone being able to open them quite quickly. Might need to look into this.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The only thing I remember with any clarity about Aunt Slappy is Who’s on Stage but that’s enough to warrant a spot :colbert:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It’s weird to hear Descent described at a niche FPS offshoot because it was my jam back then and I was all over Overload. I guess it kind of was since the Descents are almost the only examples of Descents.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Is there a good FF7 Remake LP that digs in to what the remake is trying to change? So I guess ideally by somebody a fan of both.

Violen posted:

i imagine chips will wind up being what you want as a gestalt but thats probably over a year away lol

Yeah right now it’s just going over the changes as Chip reaches them - for example a rare random encounter is now a boss fight. The remake is still the same basic game where he’s at so any major videos about the changes would wait until they happen.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Fil5000 posted:

Yeah I liked him talking about audio quality complaints while trucks roared past in the background and he lost what he was talking about.

Honestly, he's been doing this long enough that people should know what they're getting by now. He does what he does and you're either on board or you're not, seems faintly ridiculous he has to spell that out for people.

It sounds like the part about audio quality and comments at least is another case of taking too many Youtube comments to heart. From his usual opinions I’m betting he said something at some point within the last 7 years that pissed off the worst of the video game crowd, they’re still mad about it, and continue to say whatever they can think of to hurt someone.

Come to think of it I haven’t been able to watch some of his videos lately because they’re about games I still want to play myself first - Last of Us 2, RDR2, Disco Elysium to name a few. Well anyways back to spending hours in Valheim instead of playing those games :shepface:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

repiv posted:

Putting off Disco Elysium ended up paying off anyway since they're doing a massive update with full voice acting for everything

It's supposed to come out this month

That will definitely get me to play it! Once I put the finishing touches on my sixth outpost and then move some ore over there via boat to forge stuff and then...

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Honestly the later stage X-COM games all feel like they're on kind of a timer where if you research laser weapons by a certain point, the game continuing is but the merest formality. Although seriously the Avatar Project was very unnerving initially until I got the hang of the mechanics then it's like riding it out until you have scant few hours left and go 'okay, fine, I GUESS I'll go blow up a Black Site Bradford GEEZ."

That got changed in War of the Chosen (or maybe a patch?), you permanently lose whatever time counts down on the timer after the doom track ticks over.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

MacheteZombie posted:

Is Korra good?

Yes, no, yes, no, briefly yes, kinda, yes, yes. People who watched the show can probably mostly line this up with the parts I’m talking about.

Anyways seasons 1 and 2 both start strong but also have some rather mediocre middles and conclusions (with an exception for a couple of episodes in the middle of season 2) but at least season 2 ends with way more spectacle.

Because seasons 1 and 2 never stuck the landing seasons 3 and 4 don’t reach the heights of Last Airbender but they are actually quite good.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sir Lemming posted:

Thanks for this, it was cool. I'm impressed with myself for remembering pretty much everything they mentioned here. Though obviously as a kid I didn't know anything about Rockapella being a pretty hip choice, or how they tried not to be overly anglocentric.

Any time the "Where In Time" theme comes up, I have the initial reaction of "boo, this isn't the real deal" followed by "this is still a banger actually"

It's nice to know that there apparently wasn't any sordid drama involved in the switch to "Where In Time", but more just the original show running its course. Though I could also easily imagine it running indefinitely.

I'm also baffled by the brief mention of a "Where in North Dakota is Carmen Sandiego". Was the answer to every question just "North Dakota"?

From the name it sounds like education product for North Dakota itself.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Katt posted:

I was playing through Mass Effect 1 and 2 to get my Shepard up to speed for ME3 and loving Tali died in the final mission in ME2 after I assigned her to do the door tech task and I'm like "how the hell are they going to explain this in ME3?"

I don't even know what I did wrong. Last time I played ME2 Tali solved that door just fine. I did her loyalty mission and everything.

If you don’t choose Miranda, Jacob, or Garrus to lead the second team the person that went through the vents will die.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Katt posted:

Garrus or Mordin. One of the two. I don't remember which

I also used Samara as the biotic shield person which worked great. I think Jack works well for that too.

I had no idea. I assumed it had to do with how good they were at tech. First time I sent Jacob and he died then I went with Tali and she lived.

If you did choose Miranda, Jacob, or Garrus but they aren’t loyal the door tech will still die.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

There’s going to be a photo mode in the re-release of the Mass Effects so you can create your own rear end shots whenever you want.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It’s hard to know how much to blame on MachineGames and how much on Bethesda. It certainly doesn’t feel like it was MachineGames’ decision to 1) make a sequel to the last game in trilogy that hadn’t been made yet and 2) have that game be a quasi live service game with repeating quests and way too much experience to gain. I think the rumour was that New Colossus had to be cut down as well because everything was shifted to get Doom 2016 out on time.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Dr Christmas posted:

I feel like Clone Wars and Star Wars: Rebels had episodes with more on-screen death than many other action cartoons' entire runs. I wonder every so often how they got away with it, just curious and not scandalized by it. They're probably no more violent than the movies, which are 10000% more violent than your average kids show but still regarded as kids movies. Maybe that gives them leeway?

---
I'd like to add Captain Simian and the Space Monkeys to the list of poorly-remembered 90s Saturday morning cartoons.

I still occasionally briefly think about that one episode of Clone Wars that is basically the Space Normandy Landings on geonosis. Not in some heavy philosophical manner mind you, just in a “that sure was a thing in a children’s cartoon” way. Besides all the usual death in one part the tall head Jedi sees that he and his clones have almost gotten to where they need to be while still in heavy fighting and brings out his secret weapon, mother loving flamethrowers. Cue scene of many things burning to death and also a few mercy killings. Like I know those aliens are basically just supposed to be bugs but drat even in the moment of watching it I was like “Wait, bring up the what?

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 07:45 on May 5, 2021

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

How can you kill a god? What a grand and intoxicating innocence!

Turns out you can kill a god just by beating the poo poo out of them.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Like I said, the show was cancelled on ABC and was suddenly no longer beholden to US broadcast standards and practices. Canada didn't give a gently caress and YTV let them away with murder.

Let’s not ignore the possibility that Canada is just full of anatomically correct/incest loving sickos.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Those episodes are pretty old by now, the stuff he occasionally does for Secret Base (formerly SB Nation) are better.

Also the best Pretty Good is clearly a tie between Larry Walters and Randall Cunningham.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jon Bois’ Saddest Punt video also feels like an excuse just for the final line.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Peace Walker introduced Hot Coldman so it stays.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I don’t think that’s a “secret” ending, just one of the endings. If Marcus is still alive or Connor dies it doesn’t work after all.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Spaceballs is worth it entirely for “What’s the matter Colonel Sanders? CHICKEN?!”

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Spaceballs is a great example of a work thats less than the sum of its parts, there are multiple single scenes and gags that are incredible (suck to blow, spaceballs the flamethrower, finding the heroes by fast forwarding the VHS,etc) but actually sitting down and watching the movie is not actually an amazing experience past the first time.

That’s a good way to put it but I think that’s true of a lot of those kinds of movies.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I’m not here to tell you Skies of Arcadia is bad but I am here to tell to the ship to ship combat in Skies of Arcadia isn’t very good.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If you’re buying anything more from Dell than cheap laptops and desktops for minor office work you get what you deserve. This has been Dell’s thing for literal decades.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Is Cruella the evil Batman (superpower, being rich) in this universe or does she have evil powers too? It seems she was slightly outclassed if not.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Are we taking about Suicide Squad or The Suicide Squad?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Gnome de plume posted:

okay but a Resident Evil expert should be able to figure out a way to watch it in under 2 1/2 hours.

At 7 hours and even if we’re only talking about main numbered titles (and CV) and ignoring remakes that’s under an hour a game. S ranks for sure.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Haha I gave Rudy Guliani $200 to say my name haha isn’t that funny haha.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

McCloud posted:

Is there some sort of hot debate about the suits masturbatory functions or something

No.

Because it’s a settled question.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think Martian Gothic was originally designed as an adventure game and then it did not have a good time making the switch to RE clone.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

End of an era.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Terrible Opinions posted:

Both Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter are good. Detective Pickachu is a distant third.

On the live action anime front Deathnote has a good movie.

Street Fighter is a bit too stupid to be “good” but I’ve come around on it otherwise.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Andrew Verse posted:

Street Fighter is so bad it's good.

Or, to put it another way;

Street Fighter is good.

When I say stupid I don’t mean bad I really mean just stupid. Every single character is stupid, the villain’s plot is stupid, the good guys way to beat the villain is stupid, every single plot point to get us to the end is stupid. It’s too stupid to be bad which makes it entertaining? But not good. But not bad. But definitely not good. Still not bad though.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It didn’t come across as a complete disaster but I knew The Division wasn’t going to gel with Ross very well.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The second Tremors is obviously cheaper but still good. All the others are various levels of lower budget cheese that may or may not agree with you.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The solution is just kill anime.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

Even if he did, that's changing the tone from "this is a bad thing that I am shocked by" to "HURR HURR D&D REFERENCE! :byodood:"

So he’s an extremely relatable character then.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

In case you missed it Forgotten Weapons and a book publisher they’ve worked with before on more historical/technical works decided that it was a good idea to announce they wanted to translate and publish the auto-biography of the time a neo-Nazi from Sweden spent in Ukraine in 2014 fighting in the Azov Battalion.

It was not a good idea. Videos and the fundraiser have since been deleted or hidden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The most charitable interpretation that can be made is that Forgotten Weapons and the publisher took everything this guy said at face value and just put out a video without even a single Google search. Never mind searching the guy’s real name because it doesn’t really show up (or at least didn’t before this) but just “Azov Battalion” will bring up all you need to know. Describing them as unfairly maligned by political opponents with an agenda sounds exactly like a quote from someone deliberately trying to hide their history if you’re familiar with their history but if you’re not to a gun YouTuber a sentence like that is loving catnip, even a “good” one.