Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Captain Invictus posted:

oh boy, an Among Us collabo with a bunch of huge youtubers and the game grumps.

Dan is adorable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dl8S2yCZIg&hd=1

spoilers for goings-on in the video: Dan being the helpless puppy that everyone wants to protect backfires spectacularly when he becomes the imposter, and everyone who wants to make sure he doesn't IMMEDIATELY get murdered and follows him around to make sure he's never alone, means he can't murder anyone else because multiple other people are always following him :allears:
I know Linkara's also done some Among Us streaming with Team Four Star, and noted friend of Hbomberguy Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is going to be streaming it in the near future as part of a GOTV.

It's a fun game to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Captain Invictus posted:

I can see the attack ads now. "CORTEZ can keep a straight face while lying to you, how can we trust her with one of the most important government positions in the land? Give her the opportunity and she'll stab you in the back. Don't let HER vote YOU out the airlock."

Counterpoint: #OrangeIsSus

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Captain Invictus posted:

second part to the Game Grumps and other youtube celebrity Among Us collaboration is out, and it's just as great as the first

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzGQechb8R8&hd=1

It's funny that both Arin & AOC didn't get negative numbers were an option for temperature log in the lab on the artic map.

But AOC figured it out immediately and course-corrected, while Arin took multiple attempts to remember the existence of negative numbers.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

FirstAidKite posted:

I don't really know how to ask this without it coming off as me trying to start poo poo so I'm just going to ask this question and please keep in mind that this isn't me trying to set up some kind of "gotcha" or trolling or anything like that, I'm just looking for honest opinions and answers here.

What do people see in h bomb, why do they like his content, what is it about his content and output that got him in contact with major progressive political leaders?
As others have noted, Hbomb's content is a great deep dive into various political concepts and media with both clear and concise presentation with an element of the absurd.

A great example of his work is his video on speedrunning:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5auJOBC828
The stream he mentions at the end of that video is what actually put him in contact with AOC. He decided to dedicate his stream to Mermaids, a British charity that helps children with gender dysphoria, after noted transphobic fuckwit Graham Lineham lobbied to get its National Lottery funding suspended. It went on for several days, and became a big thing, raising I want to say half of what the lottery funding would have been and also provided a platform for trans people to share their experiences over the course of the stream. I think the National Lottery actually turned around and actually gave Mermaids the money they had suspended, too. That's were AOC came on to discuss the N64, Trans Rights, and Hbomb asked her how to beat Beaver Bother.

Also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-w-pdqwiBw

Terrible Opinions posted:

He's funny and explains political concepts in plain language. Same reason that historians you've ever heard of are whose with an entertaining voice in their writing and who make it accessible, and not those who breaking new research ground. Specifically thinking of Dan Carlin with Hardcore History and Mike Duncan with History of Rome. Neither of whom are really academics just guys making podcasts of primary and secondary sources we've had for centuries.

Or if you want specifically leftist comparisons. He's got the same appeal as the Chapos but less immediately abrasive.
I feel that Mike Duncan legitimately counts as an academic at this point, considering he's a published historian with a degree and everything. I think he quoted from his dissertation on one of his Revolutions episodes on the Mexican Revolution, for instance. It's just his medium and delivery is much better suited to laypeople.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

nine-gear crow posted:

Someone needs to preemptively start printing "I'm Lindsay loving Ellis, Son" t-shirts.

Twincityhacker posted:

Wouldn't it be "I'm Lindsey loving Ellis, daughter"

"I'm Lindsay loving Ellis, drat Baby"

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Considering both Linkara & Hbomb have played Among Us on stream now, I'm counting down until we get them, Lindsay, Todd, Jenny, Lupa and a bunch of the other former CA crew together.

Also if they get Jim loving Sterling, Son that would also be excellent.

Speaking of which:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNzpXx7xSsM

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The Halloween BOTL is up!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXWTfamqgMg
I'd watch Night of 1000 Pomeranians.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Calico Heart posted:

If you want a real hero for the era, Charles Sumner was one of the most moral men of the era and kicked rear end. He was an abolitionist, in favour of giving natives and blacks land to compensate for how lovely the USA was to them, in favour of giving women the vote, Lincoln's "moral compass" (in his own words) and once delivered a speech that called out-slave owners and humiliated them so much that a sentaor snuck up on him and started beating him with a cane in the senate. The "caning of charles sumner" was actually seen as an important moment pre-war as it exemplified that that rhetoric, dialogue and appealing to the alve-owners sense of morality was impossible.

One of myy favourite quotes from Sumner: "Say, sir, in your madness, that you own the sun, the stars, the moon; but do not say that you own a man, endowed with a soul that shall live immortal, when sun and moon and stars have passed away."
I seem to recall that another pretty cool dude from that era was Ansom Burlingame. When Sumner got caned, Burlingame gave a speech calling out Brooks (the guy who did it) as the coward he was (he caned Sumner while he was sat behind a desk and couldn't escape and had another gun with a gun to stp anyone intervening), and Brooks then challenged him to a duel. Burlingame said 'gently caress yeah, let's duel' and since he was the guy who was challenged, he got to choose the location & weapons. He went with Canada (to get around American anti-dueling laws) and rifles (because he was a crack shot). Unsurprisingly, Brooks claimed he couldn't make it on account of the 'hostile country' between him and Canada.

Lincoln wanted Burlingame to be the US Envoy to the Austrian Empire, but his pro-Hungarian independence stance meant that was a non-starter, so instead he was sent to Qing China. Now, China in the 19th Century was not exactly having a happy time, but Burlingame took the radical stance of 'let's not be dicks to these people' and got most of the Western powers to at least for a time stop using military force and try cooperation with pro-reform elements instead. when his term ended, the Chinese government hired him to be their ambassador to the US, and he successfully negotiated a treaty allowing Chinese citizens to immigrate to the US and even become citizens.

While unfortunately a lot of his hard work would go on to be undone after his death, he was still a pretty cool dude for the time.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUoo6vv0k2U
A musical number from Jim loving Sterling! It's a Christmas miracle!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Gnome de plume posted:

a present from Dan: a video about what people think make movies qualify as Christmas movies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU5ZlOAvzAo
Into The Spider-Verse is a Christmas movie. :colbert:

Not the best, though, that's Muppet Christmas Carol.

It looks like it's a two-parter with Movies with Mikey:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68JSod6pIRM

Edit: oh hey, it's actually about a system for determining the Christmasness of movies! I'll have to rewatch ITSV to check its score.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 25, 2020

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Zedd posted:

Ds9 is the best O'Brien cause he almost dies or gets hosed over every single time he is in focus.

They literally had 'O'Brien Must Suffer' as a subgenre of episode in the writer's room.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBDyLEYk-BU

It's here.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ready Player Two being an absolute garbage fire of a novel is more likely why there's no movie of it being made.

That didn't stop the original!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Twin Peaks is kind of an odd example in that Lynch and Frost have said in interviews that they never really had any intention of answering the question of Who Killed Laura Palmer until network execs basically forced their hands (which is why the series quality kind of falls off a cliff after that mystery gets answered, as Lynch basically lost interest until the finale and the movie) and were far more interested in using the mystery as an exploratory tool for unraveling the stories of the town and its people than in solving the mystery itself.

Waasn't the guy who played Bob a crew member whose reflection was caught in a shot so he was written into the show?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Solitair posted:

What examples would you put forward as shining examples of long-form storytelling? I'm always interested in finding more of them that don't gently caress up later on in the run.

Octopus Pie.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Ivypls posted:

i like args, i'd probably like args MORE if i didn't live in the middle of fuckin nowhere

except for the one that killed horse_ebooks, that one can go to hell

Wait, what?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Ariong posted:

What I don't understand is why everyone does not simply adopt a skeleton avatar, the best kind of avatar.

Most everyone's avatar has a skeleton avatar contained within.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Is there a better term for "Surface-Level Iconography"? Where the new owners of an IP can only grasp the appeal of a work being it's surface elements and have trouble, or choose not to understand, the thought process behind those elements. Beyond that there's a stuggle to add anything new and meaningful to the canon.

It happened with Bethesda's Fallout (Super Mutants, Vaults, Enclave, Ghouls, Brotherhood) and came to a head in Rise of Skywalker.

Hey now, it's not just IP owners not getting media. See Doug and The Wall.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dapper_Swindler posted:

child tv ratings boards were weird back then. its fascinating because now alot of the disney cartoons can say crap and sucks now.

It looks like there's still room for baffling decisions, given what's happening with the finale of Amphibia season 2. It looks like after multiple rounds of approval either S&P of Disney pulled it from airing like 8 hours before broadcast.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'm still mad the poker Pretty Good is still MIA from the internet.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Didn't Rowling's first non-Potter work get poor reviews/sell really poorly until it got 'leaked' she wrote it?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i started leaning away when he talked about how the covenant was the good guys of halo because they were different aliens and humans were humans/spartans=nazis. i am still amused of his massive massive hatred of FPS games becaue "chud jocks only play them".

I mean if you look at the background lore in the novels, the UNSC are legitimately kind of authoritarian (and acknowledged as such), but I doubt Bob actually looked that deep.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah the UNSC and ONI get up to some straight up eugenicist science horror bullshit in the quest to create the ultimate transhuman exemplar with the Spartan program. Like kidnapping children in the middle of the night for their genetic alteration horror show program and replacing them with poorly constructed clones so their parents and siblings will they just randomly died of a brain aneurysm so they don't go asking any questions. You'd think that would be right up Movie "Sweet Jesus, I love eugenics" Bob's alley...

Dawgstar posted:

I wonder how much of that is Karen Traviss directly.
I mean a lot of it was there before she got there, but she specifically turned the one character who most regretted her role in the Spartan program and tried to make amends (Dr. Halsey) into the designated scapegoat who did it all for science that all the other characters (who in some cases got up to worse) could look down on as a villain.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

nine-gear crow posted:

Well the example I mentioned comes from the I Love Bees radio drama that serves as the prelude to Halo 2, which predates most of the Halo novels aside from Fall of Reach, The Flood and First Strike. One of the main characters, Kamal, discovers over the course of the story that his sister Yasmin, who he thought died as a child from a sudden degenerative illness, was actually kidnapped by ONI in the dead of night and replaced with a "flash clone" which was designed to exhibit zero neurological activity and then rapidly go into organ failure and die to create an alibi to keep families from asking too many questions. She was a part of the same Spartan II program that produced John-117 but "washed out" (ie: died) before graduating.

Another character in the radio drama discovers she's a Spartan I.1, the child of two Spartan I program graduates whose genetic alterations have passed on to her and made her one of the first generation of naturally born superhumans.

So this kind of poo poo is all over every aspect of Halo and has been there from the beginning.

lol yeah, Halsey in Halo: Reach and Halsey in Halo 4 and 5 are like two completely different characters.
Yeah, the 'kidnap children to make supersoldiers' lore goes all the way back to The Fall of Reach. It was there from the beginning, maybe even in Bungie's lore outline.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Very little, actually. Karen Traviss's novels focus on an ONI Black Ops team and one of the characters is a Spartan washout who got crippled by the augmentations and has a vendetta against the people who ran the child soldier program. Not to really defend Traviss's work because I find her novels in the franchise a bit naff but the whole sketchy ONI poo poo was started by Eric Nylund when Microsoft commissioned him to write the first few EU novels for Halo. The child soldiers thing is played completely straight for the first several novels.

A quick thing to note about the fascist background stuff for Halo is that it's not always clear what was Bungie's original intent for the games and what was the result of the Microsoft-mandated franchise tie ins. Microsoft basically forced Bungie's hand into giving them book rights for tie in material in exchange for helping Bungie finish Halo on time to be an Xbox launch title and a lot of the more overt faschy stuff doesn't come from the games, but instead the marketing material and books Bungie had no control over.
I mean, Halsey in the Nylund books repeatedly states that the Spartan-II programme was a terrible thing and that she regrets doing it, and ends up trying to get them out of harm's way. Traviss has the aforementioned 'washout' cheerfully working for the woman who runs ONI and not only signed off on the Spartan program under Halsey but also the Spartan-III program, which decided to take traumatised war orphans, give them cheaper augmentations and armour, and send them on suicide missions in the hundreds. But apparently that's OK in Traviss' book because they 'volunteered'.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bakeneko posted:

My favorites were their Kickstarter Nonstarters series, where they made fun of projects that ranged from just plain stupid to utterly incomprehensible. I’m glad Slope’s Game Room picked up the torch when it came to mocking terrible crowdfunding projects because that’s a very rich vein of comedy.

My personal favourite is any time they reacted to a Dahir Insaat 'product'.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Malpais Legate posted:

That was so loving tone deaf that I lost my goddamn mind watching it. Let's Kill Hitler was stupid but very quickly ran right past that premise and into the bonkers scifi bullshit but actively putting the Doctor into the Civil Rights movement like that? Do they think that highly of this show for children??

It did have some good moments for Yaz & Ryan, at least.

But Demons of the Punjab blew it out of the water later in the season.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Archer666 posted:

Never watched the show myself, but X-Men Evolution is good for introducing X-23 who was my favorite character in the comics, until somebody decided that the character who's entire shtick was trying to be human and her own person should just take the Wolverine name and outfit.

I mean it's better than her literally using the designation her creators gave her as her superhero name.

Seriously, you must be the first person I've met that hates All-New Wolverine.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Archer666 posted:

Less that I hate it, more that I just disagree with the direction that her character took. Probably its because American hero comics aren't my thing (anymore). I got into them when I was looking for something new around the time that the first Civil War event happened, but eventually realized that a lot of the stuff that makes super hero books just isn't appealing to me the older I got. I still enjoy American comic books, though more stuff like the old Vertigo line where things were more experimental and surreal.

But what about it aside from the name was the dealbreaker? Honestly that book was a pretty great followup to what came before, IMO. Certainly better than Bendis' take on her in All-New X-Men.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

nine-gear crow posted:

Yes, Alice and Liam are still on Well There's Your Problem, so yes the podcast still contains approximately 66% shitbags, guest host-dependent.

I mean DNE also doubled down defending Alice’s shitbaggery, so I guess he counts too. It’s really annoying that they’ve started to appear on other podcasts I like too. Alice was on the UKMT podcast and Liam’s been showing up on Lions Led By Donkeys, which is especially infuriating since he’s been on a bunch of episodes on topics that I wanted to see that show cover.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The 7th Guest posted:

coffeehouse crime did a video on the Killdozer but it was pretty bad (honestly they're not the greatest true crime youtube channel), it's too dry and overly sympathetic to heemeyer imo

the dude would get into fights with reporters and would threaten the lives of his customers. and the only reason no one was killed by the killdozer was basically luck regardless of his intent

e: yeah, rereading the drat interesting article about it, he literally fired shots and the buildings were evacuated as he was charging them

Yeah, back before DNE turned out to be a massive shitbag (or at least enabler thereof) he did a pretty great video deconstructing the myth.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Life is Strange could theoretically be called a time loop game, given the implication that Max unknowingly rewound at the very start of the game and might have been stuck in a loop trying to save Chloe and the town at the same time, only breaking the loop at the end of the game when she realises (and accepts) she can't do both.

At least that's how I interpreted it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I think it's interesting that there's a couple of shows (Amphibia & The Owl House) which while not a 100% match to Isekai (they're definitely portal fantasy, at least) are clearly in dialogue with the conventions of the genre. In Amphibia, Anne winds up in a backwater farming community and remains an outsider for most of the first season, while in the case of her friends Sasha is captured by the toads and thrown in a dungeon before rising through their ranks and becomes a major antagonist, while Marcy, the one who got them stuck there, seems to have the more typical Isekai experience until it turns out King Andrias has been playing off her expectations to get what he wants, and when it's revealed what she did Anne & Sasha, despite both having had character growth and made new friends in Amphibia are shocked and angry at what Marcy did. Oh, and the final series has Anne returned to Earth with the Plantars, so now they're the ones out of water.

While in The Owl House the most recent episode had Luz interacting with her mother and the Basilisk who took her place when she ran off to the Boiling Isles (she left initially to get out of going to summer camp and only got trapped there at the end of the first series), and both of them call her out from running away to live out her witch fantasies.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

John Murdoch posted:

Reminder that Carl from Aqua Teen Hunger Force is a vtuber.

There's already a Firefly reboot in the works, lol.

Will they actually cast asian actors in speaking roles this time?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

One of the other many, many sins of Dollhouse is that the executives, i guess a bit gunshy about cancelling another Whedon show, decided to give it a second season, which came at least partially at the expense of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNATsAa9sa0

New Sarah Z video.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Nuns with Guns posted:

Tragic that we'll never get more incisive writing from the team that brought us "Yeah, the dystopia themes in Cowboy Bebop were a real downer so we decided to cut them." and "Well it wasn't all the cops who were bad, just the one bad apple!"

One thing I did find weird is that as far as I can tell everyone who did make that (fairly valid) argument about the political commentary being cut didn't really mention Dog Star Swing, where the cops cap a surrendering guy in the head solely so they don't have to pay out the bounty to the protagonists who just talked him out of suicide. And his motivation had been to kidnap and murder the pets of a bunch of 1%ers (specifically because they'd prioritised saving their pets over other people, including his family), only to not be able to being himself to kill a bunch of innocent animals. Granted it's only one episode, but I'm kind of surprised I didn't see it mentioned all that much.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

sexpig by night posted:

oh I agree her outfit needed to be changed for live action but just their general handling of the actress saying a pretty obvious thing like 'yea I couldn't, you know, kick and move in that outfit because I'm a human woman and not a cartoon' and tried to make it into some big 'WE'RE FIXING FAYE' thing just reeked of trying to bait idiots like The Quartering into having 20 minute meltdowns for ~engagement~ rather than anything genuine.

What I took away from her responses was she was probably justifiably mad at the people who were bitching she wasn’t the Anime given flesh, so some snark is both understandable and fitting.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

thetoughestbean posted:

Didn’t know about Jill Bearup. I saw some of her videos and went “neat but a bit too focused on pop culture for me”, disappointing to hear that she’s a terf and seems to hate autistic people besides.

You can’t trust anyone from the UK can you

I'd say Hbomb, but then again you can't trust his opinions on the prequels.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

nurmie posted:

this essay about the fabled Netflix adaptation of Cowboy Bebop has randomly showed up in my recommendations, and it's Really Good, imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCABiqeWCrU

I realise that's the way The Algorithm(TM) works, but it's always kind of annoying when people pick contextless shots of people yelling as the thumbnail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

sexpig by night posted:

It actually fits because it's the 'welcome to the ouch, motherfuckers' scene that completely is out of character for Faye and sucks rear end in general and actually does really well represent how much the adaptation sucks for a lot of reasons
Oh, yeah. I mean the actual strafing bit wasn't so bad in context, but that line was...not good. Especially when 'shoot them before they shoot you' would have worked better there rather then getting dropped almost offhandedly later in the episode. You'd have to rewrite the scene, granted.

Honestly, I feel like there were only like a few changes to that last episode and it wouldn't have been so bad. The lion's share of the scenes/clips that people wheeled out on Twitter were from that ep. The hell of it is that I feel like the series would have gotten better if they'd been able to take constructive criticism going forward. And more importantly we'd get some more Seatbelts music. :argh: