Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Famethrowa posted:

I've always had a cursory interest in dubstep, and this documentary is absolutely fascinating. it's a nice deep dive and is making me pull out my old Burial.....mp3s? yeah sure.

I was always curious about the difference between Skrillex dubstep and Burial dubstep, and I couldn't have asked for a better answer. In fact, this is just a really good piece of music-related nonfiction in general. I came back to this thread specifically to tell people about it if nobody else had. Please don't make me regret this decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what's up weirdos on the fringe "left"(coffin, dore, greenwald, smaller others) who want to have some detente with nazis and chuds. like its one thing to actually want to solve root issues with intersectional political problems and and poo poo and gently caress the libs who do the Obama era "sorkin" poo poo. but this shits loving pathetic. like AOC isnt perfect but the weird hatred of her from these assholes about this thing is hosed up. can't wait for the mask to fully fall off with coffin and they just go full nazi, because its loving coming.

Don't forget Angie Speaks. I can't tear my eyes away from her infinite meltdown.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Captain Invictus posted:

If you're not following Drawfee yet, you should be. I've been binging them to raise my spirits after a horrendous week and they are really doing that job wonderfully. I tend to put them on 1.25x or 1.5x speed, still mostly works fine. It's a group of artists who are given criteria to fill and they draw something in that style or whatever. One Piece character in the style of Mike Mignola, random shotgun of characters and given 30 seconds to draw each, etc. They're also just generally exceptionally good at playing off each other. Some choice videos I've watched so far:

drawing popular characters without looking
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc8UxLtdmeY&hd=1

30 second cartoon/whatever character challenges
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkbbKoAGcHc&hd=1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXmq_JQD2Ic&hd=1

the blind drawing one is killing me.

:yeah: I just started watching them the other day.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

I just finished watching Super Eyepatch Wolf's heel turn:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqkOfEPqeu0

This oughta keep the thread burning for another month.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

I don't really watch Patrick Willems anymore, but I'd recommend his Music Biopics and Matrix Sequels videos.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

McCloud posted:

Since this is the "online Creators" thread, here's a video created by a dude online about sucker punch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEvQOqxK8l0

I watched the longer video this was clipped from and I probably shouldn't have.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Jamie Faith posted:

So Angie Speaks is having some weird meltdown

Isn't she always?

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

I was halfway through Evangelion when the pandemic started and I stopped watching shows on streaming. I should pick it back up soon.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1366440175337807877

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwCCs6yTpPY

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Even when I was super into Channel Awesome, I never gave Demo Reel the time of day.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

I might not have finished the first season of Attack on Titan if the Super Best Friends weren't also watching it. They often did segments at the end of their podcasts where they talk about things in spoilers (and also sometimes their regular videos), and I decided to hold off on those segments until I caught up with the show, too (this is also how I watched Kill la Kill). By the end of the season, I was hooked enough to binge-read the existing manga chapters, which didn't include the basement reveal but did include some other twists that held my attention very well at the time. After that, though, I never made a point of keeping up with the series, even after another thread spoiled the basement for me. Maybe when it's all over I'll try again.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Does it at least have trainwreck value?

Yes.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

I was just the right age for the Harry Potter series, and I remember binge-reading the last book in the shop on release day in college. Even at this uncritical stage I was disappointed at how much theoretically cool stuff we didn't see because we almost never leave Harry's POV, I was satisfied with how the series ended at the time, and ready to seal off my memories of the series and move on. Rowling let me down gently and gradually, from the unwelcome resurgence of HP in popular culture, to the pointless and bad Pottermore trivia, to the trainwreck that was The Crimes of Grindelwald, to smaller signs of her bigotry prior to that essay she wrote. Now I've made my peace with Harry Potter not being cool anymore.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

John Murdoch posted:

While it makes sense for Harry to not be privy to all of Dumbledore's personal life, what makes it gross is how it came and went without much notice but then JK swung back in a year later to try and milk the publicity/ally points by proclaiming it as some kind of big reveal.

I just realized how hilarious it is that Rowling had this thing about not chasing "woke cookies" in her manifesto when that's literally what she's been doing with poo poo like this.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

I saw Man of Steel in theaters, was interested at first, and realized it wasn't working for me when it kept cutting to that one Daily Planet woman during the climax. I realized I'd learned nothing about her and had no reason to care about her specifically more than anyone else in mortal peril during the destruction of Metropolis.

McCloud posted:

It might surprise you to learn that some people were very mad about Superman destroying that guys truck. "He ruined his livelihood, it was disproportional response, it was super petty! Not my superman!" etc etc.

The worst thing I heard about the truck scene was from Dan Olson, who was annoyed that nobody in the bar heard Superman ramming multiple logs through it. Wait, no, he did say it was petty and childish for Superman to take the guy's abuse and wreck the truck behind his back instead of, I dunno, nonlethally tossing the guy out like a normal bouncer would do?

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

DesertIslandHermit posted:

I like when the fighting is more amateur than professional as a personal taste. Roger Ebert talked about how he liked the pool hall fight scene in Mean Streets because it felt real instead of staged. People are dumb and clumsy when it comes to beating people up.

There's a fight late in Titus Groan that's great for this exact reason, so good that Jeff Vandermeer uses it as a good example of how to write a fight scene in Wonderbook.

Schwarzwald posted:

I was really disappointed with Tyranny, myself. When it let's you choose to be an evil villain the game feels amazing, but there are so many points where it just doesn't offer you that control.

The Great Evil King is LPing this game right now, and he's making a pretty decent point that it's trying (within the limitations of the fantasy CRPG genre) to demonstrate the self-sabotaging nature of authoritarian government. Sometimes he points out that an option is missing that should be there, but on other occasions the lack of options you have as a middle manager with a target on your back seems intentional.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

JordanKai posted:

Re: Legend of Korra, the first season is alright, season 2 is some of the worst TV I've ever seen, and season 4 is amazing. The comics are really good as well, so if you only want to experience one medium of Korra you can read those instead (they're not adaptations).

My gut impression of Legend of Korra is that an established creative team made it a point to step out of their usual comfort zone, only to frequently demonstrate the perils of not sticking to what you're good at. Film Crit Hulk had a similar idea:

Film Crit Hulk watches Season 1, Episode 12 posted:

Going into this episode I mused, “I can’t believe this was written by the same people!”

… And that’s when I realized it wasn’t.

For some reason I had it mixed up at in my mind that Avatar creators, directors, and producers Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino were also part of the core writing team, but that honor instead belongs to John O’Bryan, Aaron Ehasz, Elizabeth Welch Ehasz, Tim Hedrick, Joshua Hamilton, May Chan, James Eagan and many more talented staff writers. This is not a knock on Konietzko and DiMartino, as I perfectly understand that creativity and ideas come from teams that spread out even further than that. But I also understand that writing is a craft in its own right. And writing “a good episode of television” really requires nuances and a sense of know-how that makes story function come to the forefront. And with Avatar, it came to the loving forefront. I was just going over JM Mutore’s ranking of episodes and remembered just how much Avatar was nearly a pitch-perfect show full of layered execution of the fundamentals. It was a show build of the tenets of drama and properly setting up turns and throwing you into a character’s headspace with abject clarity.

Meanwhile, The Legend of Korra has felt radically different. You can see the big ideas. The same sense of the humor. The striking visuals. But you’ve also seen me rail episode after episode when it comes to about the misordering of basic story information, the lack of clarity, and the inability to track a character’s interiority. Thinking it was the same writers, I was so confused. I thought they were hiding and giving into bad instincts. But now I realize it’s a perfect example of what happens when directors waltz in and assume they can write.

Because make no mistake, it is precisely the problems we’ve seen in Season One that separate established TV writers from those who do their best impersonation of writing. I realize that phrasing may sound harsh, but I do not want it to be. Bryan and Michael are obviously incredible at so many things. Their sense of fun and world building and style is unparalleled. There is not a person who can take that away. What I hope the phrasing does is make you realize how hard it is to write television and how much incredible discipline it takes. And ultimately, the difference between the two shows does all the harsh illumination for us.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

on that tweet. yeah square is loving BAAAD with black characters/white washing. but i think but outsides the neir tribesmen and chick on the far right. the rest are all white/"white". its just bad lighting/old graphics/etc. like they have a very good point but it feels like some of the examples are badly shown.

Gaius (third from the left) does actually have a brown skin tone in game. I dunno what the gently caress's going on with that concept art.

Solitair fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 21, 2021

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Dr Christmas posted:

I have a weird feeling that when I discovered her channel, she had more videos. She says she had trouble getting the YouTube bots to accept her most recent video, so did she have more troubles, or am I misremembering what I first saw? Anyway, I like her. She has fun energy.

I've lost count on how often I've rewatched her videos on Gotham and Riverdale.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Jamie Faith posted:

Alltho I am still a bit of a Bleach apologist and I have naive hope that the new anime episodes fix alot of the shows major issues lol so I'm in no room to :smug: post

I'm the only goon on these forums with positive memories of Lost.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Endorph posted:

nah, plenty of long running stuff is good. there's stuff you can only really do with longform storytelling.

What examples would you put forward as shining examples of long-form storytelling? I'm always interested in finding more of them that don't gently caress up later on in the run.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/newreply.php?action=newreply&postid=513890944

Spek posted:

I like the anyone can die gimmick. Not only does it increase suspense but, more importantly imo, it helps sidestep the issue with long running stories where the writers have done everything they can think of doing with a character as we cycle through a new cast relatively often. I'd like to see that sort of thing more, and in more genres, honestly, doesn't need to be dying the characters could leave for other reasons. Like maybe a college comedy where no one is staying for more than 3 or 4 seasons add a few new characters every season, retire a few characters every season. Would help keep things fresh longterm and avoid the situation where the writers run out of things to do with the cast so eventually every character has had a romance with every other character or the like.

Of course in GoT's case it created the problem where the plot armour coalescing around the remaining original cast like Arya, Tyrion, Jon, and Daenerys ended up being all the more obvious and jarring because of it's contrast to the earlier seasons.

Also, the new characters GRRM made for books four and five were almost always boring.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Impermanent posted:

i think that sometimes the difficulty of a game is intrinsic to the feeling it is trying to evoke and changing that difficulty cuts against the core of the game. but also the majority of games aren't like that, and some of them even incorporate that into being about difficutly and perseverence, most notably Celeste, with its assist mode options.

I've been trying to imagine what an easy mode version of Lobotomy Corporation would look like, but the way it's written makes the difficulty part of the point.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

BigRed0427 posted:

Homestuck is one of those things I always wanted to try but never did

My viewing experience of Homestuck was about as ideal as it could be without Homestuck itself being a better story. I started reading it knowing nothing about it, having gotten linked to Problem Sleuth via the blog "xckd sucks" and discovered that there was another story on the website. At this point, Homestuck had yet to finish its second act, and the internet hadn't been overexposed to it yet, so I was able to approach it with an open mind and plenty of time to let it unfold. As someone who has much more difficulty socializing offline than on, I resonated emotionally with the message that my online relationships were important and meaningful and that together we can accomplish great things.

My enthusiasm continued to burn brightly until sometime during Act 6 when the story started running out of steam, but I was still willing to push through to the end until the gigapause happened, the momentum of updates stopped dead, and I moved on before the site got its next update a full year later. Only about a month after I heard it ended did I fully catch up, and even though my enthusiasm was still gone I found a few things to like about the ending. Haven't been keeping up with the continuations of the story like Hivebent and the epilogues, because I closed the book on that part of my life and I don't like revisiting parts of my life that are definitively over.

I did not engage with the fandom at all beyond the part of the website where people were creating their own fan adventures, most of which aren't even Homestuck fanfiction, and some of which was sadly lost when the MSPA forums site was taken down right before the final update. I had my own idea for one of those, but my lack of drawing ability and fear of learning how to draw means I didn't act on this idea and I'm not sure if I still want to pursue it a decade later. I want to revisit the music now that my taste and knowledge of music has broadened, and find out if it's as amazing as it was to me back in the day. Maybe I'll also reread the comic itself, I dunno.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Magna Kaser posted:

i read a lot of homestuck when it was new and fresh but this blew my fuckin mind

Here's another bombshell for you: Undertale's title is based off Cave Story.

BigRed0427 posted:

Also. The gently caress is Satellite City.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

This is one of the best comments sections I've ever seen for a Youtube video:

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

I have an idea for a Youtube channel and I'm gonna start looking into how to make videos when I have time, and this tells me I should also not tweet except maybe for promotional purposes.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Jimbot posted:

Yeah, the pirate rap is so wonderfully awful that it warps back around to be amazing.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Flying Zamboni posted:

This is a good video and I'm glad to see someone taking about Collosal. It's a really good movie that flew under the radar when it came out, especially for an Anne Hathaway movie.

:same:

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

I got really mad when Kanye kept tweaking The Life of Pablo after release and the music press pretended this was a new innovation in album creation, so maybe Doctor What is on to something.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

I did everything in FF10 except the super-hard monster arena bossses. Chocobo racing was the worst part.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

hbi2k was never a good voice-actor but his Berserk, Gantz and Escalflowne Abridged was probably the best writing in the Abridged scene.

God, this is transporting me back to 2006/2007 when I was obsessed with abridged shows on YT. I even talked to hbi2k a few times on another forum. This was before DBZA. I hope he's all rich and famous and successful now, was a cool dude to me.

He was always my favorite. I also hope he's doing well.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Violet_Sky posted:

You lasted longer than I did holy poo poo. The revival never grabbed me. Something was missing. Then the Sailor Moon review came out and welp.

I think the Fury Road episode was the last one I bothered with. There were multiple reasons I decided to stop keeping up, some of which weren't even Doug's fault, but the realization that the all skit, no clip reviews were going to be a regular thing was a deathblow to my interest. Now I don't want to watch anything he or Brad makes even to laugh at them.

Katt posted:

Someone here made me check out Quinton Reviews and I just wasted almost an hour of my life watching this guy who somehow managed to be both hungry and horny for McDonalds. Lament the loss of specific restaurants.

In the most boring way possible. You owe me, unnamed stranger.

It's not his best. The Animeme episode of Fallen Titans appeals to me a lot more, even though it's just laughing at old cringe.

Acerbatus posted:

I thought it was funny how mothers basement tries to be all woke then made a video about how good the latest sex pest anime is.

I only occasionally watch MB videos, usually when he goes negative, so I have no idea what you're talking about.

Solitair fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 26, 2021

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Oh, and he also mentioned Shied Hero and said "Now I know starting us off with a false rape accusation looks really bad, but there's just so much other neat stuff that I'm willing to see if the show keeps being that gross." I don't know if he ever acknowledged that it amps up the grossness in later vids.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Sarcopenia posted:

Hazel is very good! She also just released an over 2 hour long video on Elfen Lied.
Hazel- "Why Did We Like Elfen Lied?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trwdaJA-6z8

Dammit, beaten to it again. This video is a trip so far and I'm only about halfway through it.

"When They Cry fans are almost as deranged as FF14 fans."

:drat:

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Holy poo poo there are a lot of angry responses to this video in particular. Stay mad, weebs.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

The 7th Guest posted:

people were even more mad at her video about dragon maid being gross even though it was 100% true, dragon maid loving sucks and that in and of itself sucks because it could've been cool

I like her follow-up to that one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ8oXOL1Tfk

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Macaluso posted:

I'll be very interested in seeing if Hazbin Hotel updates and polishes its characters when it gets made into a full series like Helluva Boss. Like Angel Dust is a character that COULD be good, but he's right now just a one note joke. I felt like Husker had more character than Angel did and he's only on screen for like a minute.

I like that everyone in Helluva Boss seems to have some depth to them. Blitzo has a ton of history in the world that they only kind of touch on right now, such as his love for horses, he's the adoptive father for Loona, he used to work at Looloo Land, he used to date a famous pop star succubus despite being... Blitzo, etc. Stolas is extremely gay and horny, but also he's like, a king or prince? And he's in this marriage that appears to have been an arranged one and there's not really any love between him and his wife, but also he really loves his daughter and that whole thing is very sweet. Millie and Moxxie are a very cute married couple and there doesn't seem to be any hint of pessimism with how they're written, they're completely genuine and it's very cool.

Alastor feels like the only part of Hazbin Hotel that doesn't feel like a one note thing, and I kind of feel like that character is someone the creator has had for a very long time and finally gets a chance to use them. His backstory has a mystery about it from how he died, to how he was able to overthrow a lot of the really powerful demons basically overnight. Again though I feel like once the actual show gets made it'll probably solve a lot of these problems becasue Helluva Boss' pilot had a lot of these similar problems as well. I mean I think Loona only has like one line while in the regular show she's an integral part of the cast.

I think the thing that really sets Helluva Boss apart from Hazbin right now though is the dynamic between Blitzo, Moxxie and Millie is just REALLY solid. They are a very good little trio with Stolas and Loona as really solid supporting character and it really sets it apart from Hazbin where it's really just a random assortment of people who have barely any connection to each other.

edit: Also I really like the gag where Stolas is probably the most profane character on the show, but he's the only one that gets bleeped

I was lukewarm on the non-Alastor parts of Hazbin Hotel, so up until now I've skipped out on Helluva Boss completely. If I find time, I'll check it out.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcUB-3lud60

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Bonaventure posted:

i'm glad Disco Elysium has a huge and generous sense of humor because all the people trying to praise it over the past year and half have made it sound like the videogame equivalent of a cspam poster ruining Thanksgiving dinner

The first time I heard of it was people in the Thunderdome Discord howling up a storm at the jokes they screenshotted. I didn't know how political it was for a few days after that.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

I found that video on a podcast that also recommended this to me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT2L2TwD0pc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Someone made a rebuttal to the Noralities cancel culture video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BEps63BFps&t=1070s

Oh I have found several videos complaining about Noralities at this point. When I said that she got a lot of anime people on Youtube mad, this is what I was talking about, not the comments on her isekai video about Re:Zero. I didn't link any videos because I assumed nobody in this thread would give a poo poo about what these people had to say, which they shouldn't.