Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

The timeline of what happened because I only saw it briefly mentioned a couple pages ago is user Claire Penis posted the I Like Girls video saying she made it as an obvious joke, because JoCat's watermark is on the video the whole way through and the end of it has links to his socials and patreon. It was a "hey remember this lovely video lol" joke and her immediate reply to her own post about her partner going "wow this video sucks" is just even more proof she was not in any way shape or form trying to "steal" said video. It stayed pretty localized in her circle until JoCat RT'd it going "erm, actually I made this" which then blew it way the hell up and his fans didn't understand it was a joke and were accusing her of being an art thief (because theft is hot on everyones mind thanks to the recent good Hbomber vid). Claire started getting a lot of hate (if we are going off someone online saying they are getting death threats is proof they are getting death threats, she claimed she was getting them at this point) which caused her to private her account, and around the time JoCat released his im done blogpost she deactivated. Harassment is bad, weirdos that attacked JoCat offline are worse than any crime of being cringy he might have committed, and anyone that harassed Claire is just as bad. The new narrative I'm seeing being spun is if you dared to think his dumb video was annoying in any way you are basically the same as the person who sent a box of poo poo to his family, which is extremely not okay imo it's completely fine to think something sucks from a huge account without being lumped in with harassers.

Sorry if this didn't need a clarification post, I just thought an actual timeline of this particular instance of his video blowing up was maybe needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

mycatscrimes posted:

wish it was in any way suprising no one is mentioning what happened to her when discussing this.

She's since reactivated and gave a pretty "im pissed off about this" apology but yeah idk this whole thing tilts me because it was just a woman trying to make a joke which was taken completely seriously and at face value by its not intended audience and then you suddenly had the most uwu soft bean softy accounts telling her to kill herself over and over.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Panfilo posted:

I don't get why people are like this. Someone in the replies said how being sightly unfunny is a death sentence on Twitter. That might be true. My guess is that there are just so many people primed to be histrionic about something for a particular reason so doing something benign just sets them all off.

Are you saying this about the guy that got harassed off twitter with death threats for his potentially unfunny video or the woman that got harassed off twitter with death threats for making a potentially unfunny joke about the video?

Glib aside yes people are apparently loving psychos about content they deem bad/unfunny if they escalate it beyond just making fun of it online

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Reading JoCat's post again I think it's pretty clear the actual IRL harassment occured in one of the previous blowups over this video and this latest incident was just sorta a "i dont want to deal with this anymore" which does suck that he got chased off but it's bringing an insane amount of heat down on people that made fun of the video this last time around and blaming people like Claire for his family getting the questionable mail (which is like, not possible? There was a day or two between her tweet and his tweet mail literally wouldn't have arrived in time lol). I also have seen burner chud accounts mass tagging trans posters with hateful content blaming them for JoCat quitting which is pretty clearly not aligned with his beliefs so this probably just got hijacked by opportunists that wanted to be real lovely.

DoctorWhat posted:

The joke was at JoCat's expense even before the plagiarism/content theft angle factored (stupidly) in. It's a caae of lolcow-farming behavior and ZSC shouldn't have done it from first principles - none of which excuses the harassment she received in return, to be clear.

I agree, she was making a mean joke and I also agree she shouldn't receive harassment over it. It's another conversation altogether if you should be able to make mean jokes like that about a content creator bigger than you and to me it brings up the concept of punching up

Nazzadan fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 19, 2023

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

https://twitter.com/JoCat105/status/1737196752145399901

Lol okay so yes all the doxxing and mailing was from before this incident, surely the people that harassed Hesse feel silly right about now! Also that last bullet point seems way out of left field but apparently people have been bringing up past statements by him about the Wizard game as a reason to harass him so keep that in mind when you get to that doozy

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Well hang on hambor sounds kinda funny

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

trilobite terror posted:

and despite them personally not having any real crossover with skateboard culture, poo poo like Sabotage/etc are basically considered skateboarder music by many.

Avoiding patronizing you because you assuredly know this but they did start as a hardcore band, and maybe less known in the 90s Ad Rock was in another hardcore band with Mike D's brother in law that was definitely skate punk oriented called Dead loving Last. So they definitely did have some feelers in the skate scene of the 80s and 90s. This video owns btw

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

This dude William SRD makes really good videos about video game adaptations of tabletop games, mainly D&D, 40k and World of Darkness and his new video rules. It's always fun to see what was going on behind the scenes with who actually owns what WRT IP and adaptation rights. His newest video is a good example of that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgdzFDcBqDI

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

The 7th Guest posted:

hazel might have gotten swordcraft story's deal wrong but i don't really hold it against her much bc her videos are just about stuff she played/watched growing up and how they make her feel nostalgic. they're pretty banal vibey videos and i like that

That particular video is also the only one that has a Nicky segment in it and since they've passed she probably doesn't want to take it down and fix it. Which in any other case she probably would have, because ya she just got that segment very wrong based on what Endorph said and that big rear end comment on the actual video.

Nazzadan fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 26, 2023

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Schwarzwald posted:

the Dawn of the Dead Hell quote

The funny part is this isn't even Snyder injecting anything, he is just taking a concept from the original Dawn of the Dead and having it be delivered by someone else instead. "When there's no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the Earth" is probably the most well known line from the entire Romero zombie franchise. And it's just being delivered through a person on the TV, which is another thing the original had tons of. It sounds like she just didn't understand the movie or the movie it is a loose remake of.

Edit: i just rewatched it and completely forgot it's even a cameo from Ken Foree, the deliverer of the line in the original lmao

Nazzadan fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 28, 2023

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

He was either the reason for or one of the reasons for this statement along with nazi cosplayers at a tourney
https://twitter.com/warhammer/status/1268665798467432449?lang=en

And as mentioned he was doing a sponsored segment for World of Warships who also was running at the time a crossover with GW and GW by name told them not to work with Arch and they picked a bouquet of oopsie daisies and did anyways. They severed ties with Arch and things seem chill between the companies now since they still run crossovers as recently as last year.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

The last show most people in my office were up to date on and talking about weekly was The Walking Dead, but slowly more and more people tapped out until it was just 2 older people every monday talking about what happened in the main show and the first spinoff.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I dropped TLOU 1 because after a few hours it was just me stealthing around doing the from behind takedown animation and it was the same animation every single time no matter if they were a zombie or a regular person I would choke them out and they would pat my arm 3 times and go limp and then there was like 4 sections in a row where I had to carry a ladder from somewhere to somewhere else. Reading these posts I'm glad I got filtered I guess, back to Dead Space

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Watching that Nazi Furry Con video and I'm at the point where they are talking about kicking the one guy off the board for the con and this Doomguy avatar guy is so funny. He's doing that thing cops do when they pointlessly use big words and end up sounding extremely stupid, "From this current juncture onwards perchance, we have ascertained you are to be removed hereinto the board, from this moment on as it were," while sounding like he has a mouth full of croutons straight from the bag

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

You could do that but then I'd just say "hey wait a minute, Quinton Reviews already did that"

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I was on board with The End and the Death 3 all the way up until Loken's ending which made me say "gently caress off" out loud. No one loving cares about Samus Dan, no one will ever care about Samus.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I don't even care about Loken. How can someone with his backstory be so loving boring

Fair, I like Loken but he was far from my favorite story thread going on. The whiplash I'd feel from "Yes, YES!" to "No, NOO!" when it would go from a Nassir Amit POV to Oll or something was constant. Now that HH/SoT is done I've been going through the Dawn of Fire books and it's been pretty okay, even the Gav Thorpe one was fine.

Edit: snipe, so an on-topic Content. A book club review of the early on worst Horus Heresy novel from Arbitor Ian.

Nazzadan fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 27, 2024

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I think people are supposed to like his Soul Drinkers novels, but his 2 outings in the Horus Heresy were mid-to-awful

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Nice, he's one of my favorite channels now for sure

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

TheMightyBoops posted:

Most of the time it’s weird because you’ll get an ad for something for a really specific medical issue that your doctor would be in charge of anyway, and they need to write the prescription.

I see less ads in general now though I remember growing up there being a billion TV commercials for prescription meds.

You were always told in the ads to "ask your doctor" about the meds which always made me go "if this medicine is actually good my doctor would recommend it to me off the rip, not go 'oh wow thanks for reminding me that one exists because you saw an ad for it between King of the Hill episodes.'"

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I somehow grew up almost entirely avoiding Channel Awesome-sphere stuff so when I found Spoony it was just his TTRPG stories videos and I liked those a lot, then those videos started getting worse and worse and I learned about everything else

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

My current characters in TTRPGs are a fae wyrd created plant-man who is constantly reattaching his "skin" where it falls off and reveals his twigs and mud inner workings, a vaguely X-Men Weapon-X woman with water for arms, and a regular rear end Space Marine from a chapter that has 1 paragraph of official lore and I love all 3 of them dearly.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

A few of Noah's recent-ish vids you also hear him just take a line again from the top and leave it in, makes it feel more real

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I assume it's not intentional per se, but it does result in some explicit gems

Lmao I was thinking of exactly this one

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I've only got a few Manns left I haven't seen and Manhunter is one of them, I should watch that this week.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Good new Arbitor Ian video on the commodification of ragebait videos in fandom at large but also specifically in the 40k sphere and why that particular fandom is so susceptible to it.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Ariong posted:

[*]In the years since the remaster they have changed the name of one of the major characters from “Grom Hellscream” to “Grommash Hellscream” and for the remaster they edited out every instance of a character saying “Grom” with the results being noticeably poor (example)

This could have been avoided had they just accepted Honda's offer to rename him The Honda Grom Hellscream

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I know who that is but I won't tell u

edit: wait i didnt actually know who that is and they have a controversies section on wikipedia, continue to not know who that is

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Oh good timing, I just watched his Mordheim video last night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Is watching movies bad for you? Some rando asks the hard questions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6nx4s0xYm4

Haven't watched it yet but the only youtube comment, liked by the OP, annoyed me

quote:

Watching too many movies is consuming your time and keeps you from doing anything productive. Same can be said of reading too many books, I know people are going to diss me for saying the latter part.
Also too much screen time hurts your eyes. Pretty self evident.