Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I like learning about medieval weapons and the like, but drat if there doesn’t seem to be this gigantic overlap between folks who talk about medieval weaponry and hack fantasy fans obsessed with an idea of “realism” that always includes tons of sexual violence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Totally Not Mark has finished catching up on One Piece, and is now watching the movies, and yes, he talks about Movie Six in his last video!

https://youtu.be/7PSfuqDG4Jg

One Piece Movie Six is the one with “Flowey the Flower” by the guy that directed Summer Wars, and apparently reflects the awful experience he had at his last job directing for Studio Ghibli. Yikes!

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

I kinda love the premise that you’re a PreWar US Army Vet that was discharged with a generous pension so that the government could put you in the cryogenics vault. It would set up your character’s starting skill set, and the perspective of someone who had seen the world before the bombs fell “yesterday” even though a century has passed a great idea! It’s a shame that they tied that hook to being a man, and threw in another Daddy Issues plot.

Like, they even bungled the settlement building hook. The intro to that should have been you helping build shelters for the other prewar citizens stumbling out of the vault and into the wasteland with you, or telling them to pound sand and leaving them to fend for themselves.

Edit: Fallout 3’s ending originally had your various radiation immune allies refusing to go in for nonsense reasons, including the infamous “no, this is your destiny” line from the Super Mutant ally who probably did this exact same thing to get the GECK for you five quests ago. They later patched in having him go in for you so you don’t die senselessly, but I think the narrator still calls you a coward.

The Ghoul companion would outright refuse like you were asking him to jump in acid, even though radiation is beneficial for ghouls AND in order to recruit him you have to have to get possession of his contract since he’s mentally conditioned to obey the orders of whoever is holding it. I can’t remember what the Mr. Gutsy robot says but I’m pretty sure it was a Drill Sergeant Type dressing down.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 23, 2020

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

I remember watching a TV Special fluff piece about the impact Star Trek had on the fans where they interviewed the man who bought the Inner Light flute on auction, and he seemed quite pleased with himself having done so. They then cut to an interview with Patrick Stewart where they ask him about the auction, and I remember him pretty much saying “The flute was fake, it doesn’t even play” like the guy wasted his money.

All of this to say that I agree that the Inner Light was really, really boring.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Man, after reading this thread sometimes I have to say I am REALLY, REALLY glad that when auto play comes on my YouTube, it just goes to GDQ play throughs and Game Grumps.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Yeah, a lot of brines or marinades add sugars to enhance flavour and browning. I’ve heard of Dr. Pepper getting a lot of use for that, weirdly enough.

That looks burnt, though.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Come aboard and bring aloooong all your Star Wars Dreams!
Together we can find the Snyder Cut that we’re looking fooooor!

De-Rail!

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Codsworth isn’t the only person you talk to, and a lot of the dialogue options in FO4 are too vague about what you’re selecting. While what you’re talking about IS there in theory, the narrative through-line isn’t; picking angry or sarcastic will likely see you be angrily and sarcastically seeking your son, without much indication that it will be about your son.

I get where you’re coming from comparing it to AC:O, but don’t get caught up defending Fallout’s more benign bad writing.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Bleck posted:

which one

The Discourse-Discourse Fruit.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

The fake live-action Lion King remake would’ve been a lot more fun it was done up like a nature documentary with David Attenborough narrating the whole thing while keeping a straight face.

This is the only possible justification for a “realistic remake” of the Lion King that I can think and they were never gonna do that. Let’s be real, I would be very bored of the gimmick 20 minutes in.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Hey guys, I see you’re talking about an overly long video essay on YouTube on this day, 11/11, Todd Howard’s Skyrim’s anniversary, and the day PatricianTV publishes a 20 hour analysis of The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim.

That’s all I gotta say.

EDIT: oh, now THIS is a hell of a page snipe.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Nov 11, 2022

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Alaois posted:

i like that guy who makes videos about Balearic slings

Same. Legit, I have always been fascinated with rock slings since I was introduced to them at the age of 8 by playing Ultima 4 on the NES, and found the Archaic Arms channel videos about Balearic slings a few months ago. I have since spent 22-ish bucks on jute twine and have braided over a dozen or so slings. They work, too! I doubt they’re amazing quality, but it’s been a delight to finally pick up a hobby I have been wanting to try for decades. Doubly good for being so cheap of a hobby; literally just $22 Canadian and I still have a buuuuuunch of twine left to make some more slings.

That said, I started looking into this in earnest during the 2020 lockdown; it’s been a frustrating hobby to try and pursue because the only people who I could find talking about it were survivalist groups, who are perceptibly more skewed towards shithead whackjobbery than swords guys. It’s a shame Shadiversity is still kind of “THE YouTube Sword Guy” even though more people are beginning to smell the crap he spews.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

maybe but there are weird poo poo that you're like, wait...what?

like in scary movie 2, chris elliot's character never says "TAKE MY STRONG HAND!" i can hear it, I can see it. It's there, in my brain. But yet...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVtAIjfHAk0

Oh. Where did I hear that?

Obviously, my friends in school, but like… I also remember it pretty clearly. I didn’t even sit through the whole movie and I remember hearing Chris Elliot say “Take my STROONG hand!”

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Endorph posted:

if you only have dudes theyre like 'perhaps the arisen does not desire female companionship' and its led to a bunch of dudes crying IM NOT GAY I JUST DONT THINK ITS REALISTIC FOR WOMEN TO KILL DRAGONS. its ftw

Everything else aside, I am glad that not only has Dragon’s Dogma 2 continued in the tradition of freaking out homophobes with “Surprise! We might be implying you’re gay!” stuff, but that they have found new and exciting ways to do it.

The wind really is lifting me into the current again.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Endorph posted:

dragon's dogma 2 is a good game and it hits a lot of the same points as dd1 but i dont think it hits the weird high points dd1 had. its still cool that it exists tho

Yeah, they messed up not putting Into Free on the title screen. It is what it is.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

I’ve been putting videos on to fall asleep to since I was in Highschool, before YouTube, when I would put adult swim on at low volume and a timer to turn off. Then those goddamn cellphone ringtone commercials started and i would put on David Attenborough DVDs instead.

For myself, I have ADHD, and it’s more a matter of giving my brain something to distract it, but not prevent it from falling asleep, so that it doesn’t start radically cycling through inconsequential nonsense that I stay awake in an anxious panic. In highschool this was test anxiety, as a 38 year old in 2024, I don’t need to tell anyone what my ADHD brain can race with these nights!

It lead to me searching for media that finds a balance between engaging enough that my brain can chew on it, but not get revved up. It also means finding someone whose delivery is even and not grating. I rather like Dan Avidan’s play through of sierra games because he’s usually so chill during them, or old RPG Limit Break speed runs.

I hate that my brain works this way, but I sure hate not getting enough sleep more!

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Clerical Terrors posted:

See this makes more sense to me. I can't imagine people falling asleep to Hbomb screaming, but I can get falling asleep to somebody with a more relaxed delivery, that'd be more like having a bedtime story read to you or something.

I tried HBomberGuy once because he does have a very soothing voice 90% of the time, but the comical screeching, while it makes for a very entertaining video that I recommend watching, wakes me right up.

For the record, it was the Pathologic video.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Mr Interweb posted:

since we're on the subject of GOOD bad video game adaptations, does anyone else love mortal kombat: annihilation?

I know this is 10 pages old, but I have suddenly remembered being 11 and renting the VHS of this and watching it with my cousins, then being blown away that they killed off Johnny Cage not 10 minutes into the movie including the VHS previews.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Alaois posted:

Virtual Springfield is a terrible sequel to Virtual Hydlide

Goddamnit, this is the funniest post I have read in this thread in years.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

a friend streamed the demo for the new stuff that got put out a bit ago and its so weird. i have no idea what to make of it. the visuals are like genuinely really good in a lot of spots now, and i think it's clear they know the criticism people had... but i cant tell if theyre responding to it or lashing out at it. like. all the alex monologues were still there, but now they had high effort cutscenes where he's like MCing at some imaginary standup comedy club and every one has unique animations and stuff. i cant say it doesnt make them more bearable but also lmao how did you stick to these guns. whole thing felt like a trauma response to the dragging they got and it's impossible to tell the sincerity of any of it

Well, he made it skippable!

There is a part of me that is rooting for YIIK just because the guy is still at it. It’s a terrible game with awful execution, but I can see the kernel of a good idea in there, and I appreciate that they haven’t given up on it yet, even they maybe should

I can gather that, at the end of the game, the reveal is supposed to be “Alex YIIK is such a self absorbed jackass that broke reality so he could date a parallel universe of himself, and now this girlfriend-Alex is trying to take things over by manipulating the Player-Alex, until the OTHER Player-Alex decides to pull the plug on the machine that keeps the universe broken.”

Or something. I will be frank, this is just me trying to find something that makes sense of what the hell was going on after everyone dies and pandaaaaaaaaaa happens. I don’t think this is a horrible idea for a story, but if that IS what they were going for, YIIK spends way too much time on whatever they were going for in the first half of the game.

I can’t be mad about the game, though. Kiss Rory is one of the funniest drat things I have seen.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Even if you think the team involved has talent, which is entirely possible, I think it would be a far better idea for them to make a new game rather than spend years and years trying to fix incredibly bad rpg "YIIK".

I genuinely like the aesthetic of the game and think more than a few of its songs slap.

These guys would absolutely be better served by just working on something else, because they’re currently funnelling this talent into a game that’s already a bad joke.

There’s a video about YIIK I like that concludes in a similar place, though it also adds the caveat that they’re looking forward to this relaunch in part to see if it gets any worse.

https://youtu.be/avX7hqzT7ag?si=WFZaODe4E-nPyI6u

Love the thumbnail.

Edit for the post below: But… the game takes place in 1999! Unless he’s talking about the player YIIK that shows up at the end of the game because that’s implicitly after 2017, but…

?????

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Apr 19, 2024

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

Actually watching the Jeff gerstmann rad gravity bit and yeah this sums that game up pretty well

I haven’t looked up anything about this game, but it looks like a port of a British platform game, like the Dizzy games.

And after a quick google, it seems I was wrong: this wasn’t some import job Interplay did in their early years, it is a Brian Fargo original!

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

please allow the title theme of RAD GRAVITY to assault your eardrums.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lh40GRnK1k

Gametal included it in one of his medleys but even he couldn't do much with it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sukeGQAAjVM

This is even more confusing for me because the title theme makes it feel even MORE like a NES jank port of a British platformer, specifically.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

I honestly don't think it's necessarily completely terrible as a melody, but they just didn't work it right with the available sound chip.

I think that’s why I am getting this “crap port” vibe because it absolutely sounds like someone dumped a song designed in something else into the NES sound chip.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

The only good AI is the kind I can beat in Smash Bros.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Endorph posted:

this is the coldest take in the universe. at least phantom menace has things resembling ideas.

You know, for what it’s worth, having the prequel trilogy and the sequel trilogy together is a great example of the importance of having at least a theme for a story in place before you make a three movies that tell said story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

palpatine also cloned himself and that clone left and had a family and this isnt considered important at all lol

The really stupid thing to me is that they could’ve had Palpatine back if they wanted the actor to show up for memes, he just should’ve been an eeeeevil force ghost.

Make Snoke some imperial remnant guy that found the Force Ghost of Palpatine, who started whispering evil secrets to being an Emperor into his ear. Make it their relationship contentious; Palpatine wants a puppet but Snoke isn’t having it. Fortunately for Palpatine, Snoke was murdered by Vader’s emotionally unstable and easily manipulated grandson. Hell, keep the “I was every voice you ever heard” line and imply Palpatine had been trying to make this happen for years.

It’s still a stupid idea, but it would be better than spending 90 minutes pissing in the last movie because a bunch of nerds said it was a dumpster fire.