Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Boris pushing for government to rule over parliament and the courts. That's going to end well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Darth Walrus posted:

IIRC, American vaccine product regulations are actually pretty stringent and reliable by international standards, which was why them going 'hold on a second, we don't like this' about the Oxford vaccine was pretty big news. The Pfizer vax at least wins the award of 'probably safer and more effective than the alternatives'.

Tamiflu would like a word, although I guess it's not a vaccine.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Bobby Deluxe posted:

^^^ The GW thread in trad games used to recommend Warmachine I think it was called - mech combat, 1-5 minis needed per player, damage systems similar to battletech but a bit easier, much cheaper to play.

My parents are optimistically hoping that Tyne & Wear goes down to tier 2 (not loving likely) so they can come down and help with the new house, but I doubt it's likely.

Of course because they live in the posh end, they keep blaming poor areas like Wallsend for spreading it.

Warmachine/Hordes was a fantasy game with Steam Punk walker things. It's largely dead these days, if not actually dead.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

OwlFancier posted:

Pick which thing you are least happy about.

A stripping Philip Green would not be good. This however https://twitter.com/MrJakeWalters/status/1334803707221995521 :allears:

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Vitamin P posted:

You are talking absolute dogshit.

The "red wall" is sort of a stupid term but of the 12 constituencies it refers to the Labour vote share increased after Corbyn became Labour leader in every single one of them. In a few cases it was only ~2% increase but generally it was flirting with or reached double digit increases in percentage of vote share, the "red wall" were uniformly enthusiastic about Corbyns Labour and preferred it to neolib Labour.

The media keep going on about how the Red Wall lent their votes to the Tories when largely it's simply not true, they voted Brexit Party and split the Labour vote so the Tories won by default. Their actual vote barely changed between 2017 and 2019, it was Labour votes going to TBP or LDem.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Maugham wrote a piece some time back on the wider implications for the Bell case on the ability for kids to consent to things like birth control and abortion: https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1335113639171420162

In short, the Bell decision is loving terrible, for trans kids, pregnant kids and all sorts of other kids too.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Sounds like fishing has been sorted in the Brexit deal, just the tiny issue of who has power over legal disputes to go.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I've not tried it yet but have it on good authority that Nectar D'Or by Glenmorangie is amazing stuff.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Miftan posted:

That's James. Pretty sure he rarely if ever reads the thread now but he's our resident Smart Understander and overall excellent person. You can read more in this twitter thread he did: https://twitter.com/anarchonbury/status/1335867100901093378

This was the second episode I've listened to, and it's good stuff. My only niggle was during the discussion on inflation there was no mention of the shittiest bit of all (imo), that the multiple types of inflation aren't just used to give a more desriable result, but that they are actively used to gently caress people over. Public sector pay rises and pension calculations? Pin it to the lowest inflation metric (RPI). Income off interest on student loads or other repayments to the government? CPI for you!

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
People with a history of severe allergies (ie if you carry an epipen) have been told not to have the Pfizer jab after 2 reactions yesterday.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Chubby Henparty posted:

We fell for Canon's cunning trap and bought an actually very good printer from Argos for £35 and tiny brand cartridges turn about to be like £50 each. Anyone point us towards the best cheap supplier?

If you're not anti Amazon you can buy multipacks of compatible cartridges for the same price as a single standard ink.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Wes D. posted:

I'm an American expat living in Wiltshire since 2007. Got my citizenship in 2013. I tend to track US politics more than UK but this thread is always my first stop to start getting a feel for what's going on.

I am completely resigned to it. My wife is a life long Tory that voted against leave. Her entire family are Leave voters barring her younger brother who is much more aligned with me (raging commie lefty demoRat if you ask my family in Alabama). After the vote I had a few conversations with my in-laws about why they voted the way they did. All the years they have shown me nothing but love and acceptance, and that series of conversations broke me. I never regretted moving here until then. It was literally all about immigrants and Euro's controlling us. Bendy bananas made an appearance. I had to ask my wife what the gently caress they were going on about. I don't talk about politics with them anymore.

I work for a German company, all our stock comes from Germany and most of our support supply lines are Euro based with no acceptable suitable subs in the UK market.

I'm hosed, my company is hosed, poor folks in the country are proper hosed...and it feels like there ain't poo poo I can do about it. So yeah, whatever happens, happens. Me reading or talking about it don't matter.

I had a similar experience with my wider group of friends, not family, who all voted Leave because <insert tabloid anti-EU nonsense here>. My wife is Dutch, so that didn't really sit too well with me, and now I almost never see them. Covid helped me sever.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Gonzo McFee posted:

But a year ago they said it was Oven ready! This is a shocking predicament, the press must be kicking themselves over it. Still, it's hard to predict "Boris Johnson lies" as being a thing.

As annoying as it is to say, the oven ready deal was the withdrawal agreement, not the trade deal. They only said that would be the easiest deal in history.

Thanks to whoever linked the Alexei Sayle podcast the other day, I can appreciate anyone calling Tom Watson a oval office.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 10, 2020

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Jose posted:

no it loving wasn't this is the tories trying to excuse not getting a trade deal.

I'm only going on a fact checker the BBC did, where all the oven ready promises were related to the WA.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Gonzo McFee posted:

Absolutely nobody in the press or the tories said this at the time and if it was it was only on some back page of a press release that nobody published. They weren't going around saying "It's an Oven Ready Deal on the Withdraw agreement we still have lots to do on things like trade so really it's not Oven ready it's not even blue apron ready we've barely agreed to go to the shops" It's a weak as gently caress excuse. Small print bullshit.

Edit: The Tories blame the press for not being clear, the press blame you for not knowing something they didn't tell you. We go through this every time the Tories gently caress up spectacularly.

From the Conservative Manifesto:

"With a new Parliament and a sensible majority government, we can get that deal through in days.

“It is oven-ready and every single Conservative MP elected at this election, all 365 of them, have pledged to vote for this deal immediately.”

Trying to find the quote but Boris did say that once the oven ready deal was done there was plenty of time to sort the trade deal.

E: another: "We’ve got a deal, oven-ready, by which we can leave the EU in just a few weeks.”

and "Whack it in the microwave, gas mark… I’m not very good at cooking… gas mark four.

“Prick the lid. Put it in, and then we can get on… we can put this deal through Parliament.”

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 10, 2020

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
That depends what you think their job is. If it's funnelling money to their mates and facilitating a No Deal Brexit they're very good at it.

I'm stockpiling Warhammer, I forsee Primaris Space Marines being legal tender in the after times.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

JollyBoyJohn posted:

how many brannigans for a necron warrior?

What flavour for what edition of warrior?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

OwlFancier posted:

They've done pretty well since then mind, dawn of war and total warhammer are both great games. The new management seems pretty decent at flinging anyone who seems like they have half an idea the license too.

There's also Battlefleet Gothic, Blood Bowl 2 with 3 on the way, Space Marine plus tons of other fun games like arpgs etc.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Tories are really doubling down on loving off Scotland.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Put the money in a pot because you might get a big retroactive bill... otherwise I'd just sit on it

Yeah this. Plusnet messed up our bill in August and refunded some money and since then haven't taken any payments so we're making sure we don't spend it in case they demand it back, which they are entitled to do for several years iirc.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

notaspy posted:

But this can work if timed correctly and done in the right way.

The EU gets its mandate from the European Council, so if you can influence its membership you can get what you want at the next meeting but this can never be seen to be or called negotiation as I understand it.

It's been reported that Boris tried to phone Macron and Merkel to talk directly and they wouldn't talk to him.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Cheese sandwich at the café opposite my first "proper" job in 1989 was sold like that and cost 20p (and that was West End prices) so could even be later.

It can probably be nailed down from the Penguin and Golden Wonder packaging.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Gonzo McFee posted:

So how quickly will they rehabilitate Boris if it all goes to poo poo? Will he have to step down as PM and immediately go back to a job in the Telegraph and be on the board of the Privatised rationing company brought in to deal with shortages or will he get the Tony Blair treatment where this farce doesn't even sink him as PM and in ten years time we get people rolling their eyes at us for still bringing up Brexit when they're talking about how Boris was good actually?

If you think that No Deal was the aim from the beginning then Boris has delivered and will be a hero. Whether he stays depends on how they can sell it and whether he was a sacrificial lamb to get it done then sack off afterwards.

If No Deal wasn't the aim he won't last long, the knives will be out rapidly.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Holy poo poo if having an Australian style deal means we get access to Adcortyl in Orabase again my mouth ulcers will vote for Boris until the heat death of the universe.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Z the IVth posted:

Sorry to break it to you but that preparation has gone the way of the dodo. You can get it specially made up since both adcortyl and orabase still exist but be prepared to pay silly money or cosplay Walter White to get it.

It's available in Australia, hence my pretend excitement at a possible good thing about No Deal.

E: it's called Kenalog/Kenacort in Orabase but it's the same thing.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 11, 2020

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Z the IVth posted:

The manufacturer ditched it over a decade ago here because it wasn't profitable. I wonder what's different in Australia. Non-orabase Kenalog is still used here but I think even the non-orabase Adcortyl is gone. It's all triamcinolone to me so vOv.

Didn't realise that's why it was ditched, and I've no idea why it's still going in Australia and New Zealand but I'm glad it is as my brother sends it over for me.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah, the entire "logic" of hedge funds is they're supposed to assess risk and take up short positions* that minimise their exposure to that risk.

The relevant stat is whether hedge funds donating to Johnson hedged against no-deal harder than those who didn't. Even then if you're a vulture capitalist looking to make money from a *guaranteed* no-deal you don't use short positions because the potential gains are limited - you use long positions on industries/funds that you know are likely to show massive growth (bailiffs, privatised prisons, funeral homes).

(Very quick and only vaguely accurate primer - a short position is basically a bet that the price of something will go down. The traditional way of doing it - and still the way the pricing of it works - is that you "borrow" a stock from a holder for a small fee for a fixed amount of time.

Let's say you've heard that EvilCo are about to reveal that their big project to melt down old people to use as Bentley wax is a failure, as the old people are too undernourished to provide the rich shine that Bentleys deserve, and so their share price is about to drop. You find a pension fund or other large institution that tends to hold onto shares for the long run, and ask to borrow their 10,000 shares of EvilCo for a week for a small fee. You sell them at £100 each on Monday, on Friday the announcement comes out and the share price drops to £50. You buy up 10,000 shares at £50 each and give them back to the pension fund, keeping the £500,000 difference.

Obviously the profit you can make on this is limited by the fact that the lowest price a commodity can hit is zero* so your absolute maximum profit on this deal is a million quid. However if it turns out that the chairman of EvilCo goes to the same Mayfair sex dungeon as half the Cabinet, and so the Government gives them a massive contract to turn the leftover bones and offal into a nutritious stew to be sold at the G4S Orphanarium And Nonce Buffet at a 1000% markup and their price goes up, your losses are theoretically unlimited.

If you had inside information that Project Grannyshine was going to fail you'd instead buy up their less flashy competitor, Amalgamated Panda Juicers, whose share price would skyrocket when EvilCo went down, which reverses the risk/reward ratio.

Of course even this nonsense is far too logical for our financial markets so the actual transactions are now several dozen layers of abstraction deep but basically just boil down to making individual bets with other investors without ever getting the actual shares involved. Like everything in the City it starts with a relatively simple and benign (by Capital standards, obv) idea - in this case to minimise risk - and is instead turned into a get rich quick scheme so naked that Charles Ponzi would blush.

* Someone will chime in with the time that the price of crude oil went negative here, but that was a futures contract which is its own thing)

The other way to do it is via shorting multiplier funds, where for every x% the ftse 100 (other indices are available) drops by the fund goes up by 2x or whatever the multiplier is. Of course the opposite is also true, so you can quickly lose money if the pound tanking helps all the international countries that are on the FTSE and it climbs instead.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Guavanaut posted:

I always get Burchill confused with the other poo poo terf Julie.

Which one wants to kill sex workers, specifically female sex workers, for moralistic reasons but still calls themselves a feminist? Is it both?

Burchill definitely does https://mobile.twitter.com/melissa_phobia/status/1335729410914332673?s=19

Can't speak to other one.

e: spoilered for the preceding tweet I can't seem to remove.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Dec 14, 2020

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Apparently this is a Liddle piece:

https://twitter.com/english_brooks/status/1337561867796013059

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
The other aspect of the deportations that I don't think has been mentioned yet is the courts set the penalty for the crime, and once you've done your time the law says that's that. To then deport people after they've served their time is punishing them twice for the same crime, which shouldn't happen.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

forkboy84 posted:

Dunking on Sunny Hundal is like scoring into an empty net from 3 yards so instead I'll ask a more important question

Want to get a bottle of gin for my sister. My budget is extremely low (I have £20 and need £7 for the bus). I can maybe scrape together another £10 by digging through loose change. So let's say my budget is £20. I know as much about gin as I know about not running out of money just before Christmas so I'm looking for recommendations. How are Lidl or Aldi gin? Any other brands worth considering?

Christmas on a very tight budget loving sucks, especially when everyone who buys you thinks isn't working on such a tight budget. Great respect for my folks from when I was a kid.

A quick check of pages like https://www.redonline.co.uk/food/best-recipes/g526759/the-best-cheap-gins/ suggest Lidl do a decent gin, but I can't recommend them personally as I detest gin.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I'd go with truth that doesn't upset the applecart but gives lines for an enquiring mind to follow. Something like Jesus's birthday and Santa don't have anything to do with each other but have become so intertwined that I'm not happy celebrating Christmas. Can go further and mention that the Bible never says when Jesus was born, and that Christian theologians seem to think he was born in August or whenever.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Guavanaut posted:

Christflaps.

That inevitably leads to Jessflaps though.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Chantenay carrots cooked with garlic and thyme are a god-tier accompaniment for christmas dinner. https://www.olivemagazine.com/recipes/vegetarian/garlic-and-thyme-glazed-carrots/

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

notaspy posted:

Corbz is going on The Canary and the internet is not happy.

I knew they were a bit of a rag but what has happened to push them and mendoza over the edge of acceptability?

I was wondering the same thing, plus why was Mendoza banned and then reinstated on Twitter the other day? I know some people hate the monetisation model the Canary uses but this seems way ott for that.

Some noises from Westminster starting to sound like a deal might be brewing.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Darth Walrus posted:

The Canary has Steve Topple as one of its regular writers, and he's actually, properly antisemitic on social media.

He did a pretty reasonable mea culpa over that awful stuff.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

OwlFancier posted:

There's not really anything we can do about that though, that's entirely up to the government and if they decide to gently caress it up then it just happens and we have to deal with the fallout.

Yeah it's this. There's no point freaking out as there's nothing in our power to change any of it. I've ordered an extra prescription of all my meds but I don't know if I'll get them. If not I could be in trouble but hopefully it won't come to that.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
It sounds like Heathrow has all but canned it's 3rd runway team, so while they won the court case it might not go ahead anyway.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
A friend of mine runs a tiny farm where she sells fancy died wool. As that's a product of animal origin she's going to have to do all sorts to sell to the EU, except she has no idea what those all sorts actually entails as nobody can tell her. It might mean getting every single parcel checked by a Vet or something equally daft which would make it financially impossible, and that's before any tariffs. I'm sure she's not alone in this and that Brexit is going to utterly gently caress a swathe of small companies across the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Sad Panda posted:

I'm so glad to be a lowly teacher and not an important one. Another end of term and another announcement with massive planning required. It wasn't until lunchtime that Gavin came out to confirm the plan about a staggered start to the new year.

Love how there's no pointing out that he didn't answer the question at all. Of course there isn't. There's no expectation that he ever would.

Also no idea how the testing in school is going to work. Daily testing for students that have been close contacts of people? Given that we had whole years sent home, that would be 200+ students being tested daily for a week. Who is doing that? When is that happening? Can they really still safely go to lesson while waiting results? Who knows.

It's amazing that he threated legal action against Islington for suggesting online teaching after Christmas then announced it as government policy a few days later.

E: Truss has been spouting poo poo again too, spoilered for Transphobia https://twitter.com/AllyFogg/status/1339598641485414406?s=19

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 17, 2020