Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Servetus posted:

What are those little wing things on the back of his shoulder blades supposed to be? There was an armor in Dragonfall that looked like that and I could never figure out what those were.
Leg rests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

apostateCourier posted:

This is why you don't leave living security mages behind you on the job. Professional respect. The security mage knows that they are the single largest threat to any intruders.

Many companies install fiber optic lines leading to security offices, so their mage(s) can do their thing from a secure location anyway. It's less effective, but safer.
Sounds like a good setup, not just for the company, but also for any shadowrunning PCs that hit it.

It opens up solutions that are not limited to geeking the mages in question and allow other party members to shine (hack the feed, cut the lines, sneak through unmonitored maintenance areas, etc.).

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

wiegieman posted:

Duncan is a Lone Star cop and being ready to hurt people at all times is a job requirement.
He's afraid of hurting people who matter.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

By popular demand posted:

kinda strains the metaplot believability that people are still unaware of blood magic.
Before 2020, I would have agreed.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Someone's going to pay.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

SimplyUnknown1 posted:

On that note, I also would like to say that I'm really interested in how you can make Duncan lean towards non-lethal. It's interesting considering his character.
His guns are just for show.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Science fiction author: "The official name was COVID-19, but among the suffering people it soon became known as Deathlung."
Millennials in 2020: yeah I got the rona

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Steam tells me that I've played Hong Kong at some point but I remember almost nothing about it (not the game's fault, my memory of those years is just that bad).

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I remember the identity of the killer(s) but nothing about the motives or methods.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

NeverHelm posted:

Of course they do. All your workers turning into useless hedonists is bad for your share price. It doesn't justify the short-term income.
Workers, yes, but I can easily see managers and executives slotting illegal stat-boosting chips for that extra performance edge.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Is it possible to magically or technologically overclock one's brain and nervous system so that everyday reality is augmented to BTL levels?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I dont know posted:

It's such a fun setting. Shame the actual tabletop rules have been a dumpster fire since the late 80's and have somehow gotten worse.
What is a worse idea: running Shadowrun with Eclipse Phase 1.0 rules or vice versa?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

What does Berserk do?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I dont know posted:

Pass a will check or you automatically attack the closes living thing with your most powerful spell or weapon.

Gives a new meaning to "keep your friends close and your enemies closer".

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

resurgam40 posted:

...I think I have to throw my hat in for the Ballistic Cloth Suit. Yes, I know the Securetech is more suitable and more cyberpunk, but daaamn.

I like girls in suits.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

AceOfFlames posted:

Btw, what Racter said about the Vory is true, though I can’t seem to find any sources concerning the lighthouse tattoo. The skull in the square is a thing though.

Lighthouse criminal tattoos generally mean 'desire for freedom', but that desire can be expressed in a number of ways, from successful escapes to contrition and willingness to serve one's time. You'd have to look at other tattoos (or know the person's history) to determine the context. As for the skull in the square, it can have additional connotations depending on the placing. For example, if it was on a finger instead of the back of the hand, that would mean that the late Aleksandr did time for armed robbery.

argosaxelcaos posted:

I thought the Vory dealt in more than theft, and that murder would not be beyond them. Learn something new every day I guess
It's not that murder is beyond a Vor, it's just generally* beneath them. If a Vor wants someone dead, they are supposed to have someone else do it for them (and if they can't find anyone, are they really even a Vor anymore?)

* The main exception is punishment of those who broke the thieves' code. That gruesome duty fell to Vory more often than not.

In any case, as Gang!Taz points out, only Aleksandr was bound by the above considerations, not his enforcers. Unless Shadowrun does things differently, "vory v zakone" is the name for the high-ranking criminal authorities, not the organization as a whole.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Racter has more intense mad scientist vibes that Adrian Vauclair, and that's saying something.

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 5, 2021

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Gun Jam posted:

"Ethiomalian territories"
*check map*
...what?
Probably formed in the aftermath of the second Finno-Korean hyperwar.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

AceOfFlames posted:

My dude, have you ever heard of a game called Disco Elysium
See also: Fallen London.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Is0bel, Gaichu, Gobbet

We're going underground, so it makes sense to bring rats and ghouls.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

The only way Luca Duerr could be made better if they got Beckett's voice actor from VtM: Bloodlines to voice his lines.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

achtungnight posted:

Do I even want to know what the Shadowrun verse would make of Scrappy Doo? I’ll leave speculation to those who know it better than me.
A high-Edge shadowrunner with lots of dump stats. Sold out and went corporate eventually.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Welcome back!

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I really want to see Dragonfall and Hong Kong crews going after the same target.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

AceOfFlames posted:

I loving love Racter. Again, not someone I would want to meet in real life but his convos are always so FASCINATING.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Kobal2 posted:

I don't believe he's thinking it the whole way through however, which just as obviously gets into New Deus Ex territory : "And what happens if I don't have the ressources (or even the inclination) to become one of your technomagic-angels in our modern fast-paced competitive for-profit corporate murder environment, Racter old boy ?"
There will always be shadows to run.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Kobal2 posted:

Sure, but ideology (and science, even Science!(tm) ) has to account for material realities and their consequences, else it's just disingenuous wankery. We run in this world, not an ideal automated luxury space post-scarcity communism version of it.
The material reality is that we live on a shabby boat and do the bidding of a local Triad boss. From the materialist standpoint, the strengths and weaknesses of Racter's ideology are irrelevant because he has no way of imposing his vision on society.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

The actual best look into it was in the SR2e book Cybertechnology, and even then, they didn't actually present it as low Essence somehow "draining away your humanity." Instead it was a (very cool, I should add) look into how turning yourself into a weapon would negatively effect your mental state in far more interesting and realistic ways. Things like "my cybereyes made things too crisp, too clean. It made me disassociate myself from my own life and see it like a movie. And that's what I wanted." Or "the wired reflexes meant I had to forever keep my back to walls, because they're reflexes, and for the rest of my life I'm going to be terrified that an innocent person or even a friend will approach me from behind and I'm going to hurt them without wanting to."
The way I see it, having particularly *high* Essence should have a similar effect, as you become increasingly untethered from material reality and closer to kaleidoscopic lights and mesmerizing flows beyond it.

Go too low, and you're a machine. Go too high, and you're a spirit trapped in a fetish of meat and bone.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Boat Stuck posted:

At some point, you might as well just upload your consciousness into whatever robot shell suits your fancy.
Probably would need to do it anyway. As we've learned in the previous game, a Panzerdrohne makes for a good stepping stone towards a dragon body.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Gobbet, Gaichu, Racter.

One to chew the food, one to chew the enemies, one to chew the scenery.

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jun 28, 2023

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Murgos posted:

I think you could make a cool game of being the decker that never comes into contact with the meat you hire for when you need something physically interacted with.

Hiring a team, coming up with the plan to get them to the target by hacking locks, moving patrol routes, changing camera displays, silencing alarms and etc…
Invisible Inc.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Oh, that was excellent. Thank you.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

By popular demand posted:

Rats have a very short lifespans though.
So do shadowrunners.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

There wasn't any supernatural influence behind Humanis Policlub back in Dragonfall, so I don't see why other hate groups should necessarily have one.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Racter continues to be the absolute best.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Speaking of merging tech, magic, and capitalism, has anyone tried recording a BTL from a summoned spirit?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Racter strikes me as less of a cyberzombie and more of a technolich.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Some of those corpses don't have much meat on em though. Too much metal.
Thankfully there are plenty of buyers for said metal in this part of the city.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

poisonpill posted:

Gauche was funny as a wrong choice at the dinner party but Racter will probably be fun at a tech convention and sounds like the “right” pick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

I have to love the way you can just enthusiastically tell everyone at the convention that you punched that guy. Taz is just so proud of herself.
More RPGs need [body count] dialogue checks.