Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

GD_American posted:

I know this is irrational but I wish people were bothering Dabo more about this

I wish Urban got more crap for Hernandez, et Al under his watch too but media is not going to criticize the coach unless it's Paterno-level negligence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Print the Shields

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

I would rather the panthers bottom out again than do this.

I don't think they will be able to out-bid other teams in the race. The Texans want draft capital and they don't want Darnold over Mills. It'd functionally require the Panthers either trade young core pieces on defense (no), or dumping a truckload of picks for a QB (I don't see them winning a trade off here.)

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Amy Pole Her posted:

Honestly how is it not #2 each time

Because Watson is a culture fit with the ownership group

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Grip it and rip it posted:

If they suspended him thid year and called the matter resolved I would thinkt that would boost his value

The #1 thing every report mentions that's holding this back is uncertainty. I think you're right. The handling of this is just poor, I don't think it's as calculated as people think.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Sataere posted:

Nah, Bears are always packed.

ALWAYS. It is a nightmare to get to Soldier and it's still packed at all times. That looks like a Milwaukee Brewers game when they're having a 100-loss season. That is by NFL standards pathetic

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

That's the smart long-term play, but the Texans have to fight a pretty awful FA reputation following all of this. If they start replacing the free agents signed/players cap dumped on them for their best players with random PS players league wide, it might hurt them in 2-3 seasons when they'd want to play in the free agent market.

Counterpoint that's a long time to rebuild trust in a league with 0 long term memory. I don't know how much I fault Houston for playing its signings. Maybe they could churn for a league average lineman somewhere if they try long enough

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Amy Pole Her posted:

Trade back for Tunsil.

Tunsil to Cincinnati makes a lot of sense

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Lol $2.2 million total. If you’re gonna be a crooked deviant don’t be a cheap crooked deviant.

That's more than twice his salary next year!!! He's being VERY generous

Watson is a loving monster rear end in a top hat piece of poo poo

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

The Buck stops (over there)

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

This isn't surprising but it is horrifying. The league has to see this as a monetary risk. How have they avoided taking action at all? I don't expect them to have anyone's safety at heart. I did expect any self-preservation instincts.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

They spent a year probably hoping he’d be arrested and thrown in prison because then it wouldn’t be their problem anymore. Well that didn’t happen (but hey maybe it will going forward if more details of stuff comes out it’s not like he was acquitted of anything) so they’re stuck being cowards petrified to do A Thing.

They are Monitoring the Situation. A situation where a team attempted to suspension protect an unprecedented contract. A very public situation that gets worse daily.

But by God they'll monitor it.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

skaboomizzy posted:

I have a terrible feeling that the Browns' public reaction to this when everything collapses will be "why did the league let us sign this deal knowing what Watson had done?"

The NFL needs a Haslem Rule the way the NBA made the Stepien Rule.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

skaboomizzy posted:

The Browns will absolutely try to weasel out of this and I hope they get told to gently caress off.

I hope the Browns lose and that the Texans get so hosed in court the league starts taking their (better) draft picks as punishment.

E: because lmfao that the league would actually force the sale of either of these teams or do anything materially damaging to owners

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Android Apocalypse posted:

Wanna know what the price tag was for Justice.

Less than $250 million, that's for sure.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Docjowles posted:

NFL broadcast producers furiously deleting various drafts, leaving only the "he dealt with some challenges over the offseason, but has fully put that behind him and is laser focused on leading his team to the super bowl" version :barf:

There'll be minimum two thinkpieces about him being CPotY

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Give them to the Bears, they'll gently caress the picks up anyway. That's cosmically the fairest outcome.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If Twitter existed when Schilling was playing god knows what he’d have done.

He wouldn't have gotten funding from the state to make his mediocre Skyrim clone, for starters.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

sweet thursday posted:

Between Houston, Cleveland, and Watson, there's probably a funny massage joke

No amount of rubbing these parts together will produce a happy ending.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Cool Post Beg posted:

I remember reading everyone was shocked Jesus was on the IR-Designated to Return list but he had that gawd in him

In many ways, prayer was the original deer antler spray.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Intruder posted:

If Deshaun gets 2 games that's less than a quarter per three women he sexually assaulted

If he gets two games it will be an amplified version of the Ray Rice issue. Watson hoping for two games would be weird because I think it would just make him even more of a target for the league (after a month of bad press)

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

NOT EVEN TRUE

it wasn't physical violence but this was weaponizing Watson's position of authority to intimidate people into compliance.

Odds of this going further south? Or will the usual happen and the NFL PR machine makes everyone forget

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

He's gotten less than a slap on the wrist. He's just going to keep abusing people. Jesus Christ.

If the NFL doesn't appeal (I bet it won't) then this fully crowns the Browns as the villains. What a weird thought. gently caress the Cleveland Browns.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

I love a dirtbag league that isn't a legally binding entity using the language of one to justify why this serial sexual abuser is both not violent and not a risk to future people.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

If you're a good enough QB, you will never get more than 6 games. Lesson learned.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

We'll fix this! We'll make the Cleveland Browns, paragons of security, handle all future massages! The Texans prove this is a foolproof method.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

The Browns got Watson to choose them by basically giving him 100 percent run of the town. A fully guaranteed contract for a QB.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Codependent Poster posted:

Hey remember that Calvin Ridley got suspended for a year for making a bet when he was injured and not even playing

Yeah but betting on the Falcons is such a lapse of judgement he needs a full season out to reflect on it.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

"without the benefit of fair notice" rofl.

Yeah you needed to release a memo saying sexual assault is bad. Rats! One Weird Trick

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

General Dog posted:

In the grand scheme of things, the difference between a six game suspension and a seventeen game suspension doesn't really even seem to be worth getting anyone's dander up. Beyond the most terminally Shield-brained talking heads, how many people who think a six game suspension is woefully inadequate are going to think a seventeen game suspension is justice served? I mean, I guess the main difference is that it definitively trashes this season for the Browns, but c'mon, it's the Browns; every season is DOA.

I think a season is better. It's not because it's justice served, but it provides literally any line in the sand for a disciplinary system that doesn't give a single poo poo. It's a sign to players that being a "national embarrassment to the League" with your conduct has teeth.

It's a situation where the Texans are rewarded for being enablers if he gets a full season, & the Browns get a single championship window if they kick the can down a year through the appeals process.

I kind of think the NFL/Goddell is hoping Watson keeps fighting to start suspending him when the money comes in.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Eifert Posting posted:

It's been extremely fun seeing Schefter getting subjected to the Twitter firing squad over and over again this offseason.

I hope he starts losing access. Agents might start viewing him less as a useful mouthpiece if he's a negative association.

I doubt that happens. Agents aren't virtuous truth seekers, and Schefter is very dedicated to maintaining that access.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Intruder posted:

Maybe Watson's career ends from a nagging injury a massage therapist could easily take care of but no one will work for him :v:

After all this publicity I'm shocked Watson intends to keep using massage therapists. It's so publicly known and he is required to "Use the Teams doctors). What massage therapist isn't coming prepared for an intimidation campaign?

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

The point is Watson gets paid if he just sits out the season vs. having the salary taken if he's on the exempt list.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

fast cars loose anus posted:

You get paid on the exempt list

Wicka wicka whaaaaa?

That's absolutely hosed

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Harlock posted:

NFL traded games just to set a precedent on fining players.

Now now, they're also going to try to use this against the Union

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Nodoze posted:

Wonder what it finally took to get him out of there

Lovie Smith is low-key a big internal power struggle guy. I bet that was part of it.

Easterby wasn't translating to a better product in the field and the Texans outward image is only worse than the Browns (because they traded FOR the player). Still, it's amazing that McNair fired Easterby given how he had the man's ear.