Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What exactly did Jesus do after coming back from the dead? He just went and hosed off.

he noclipped through walls a couple of times iirc and made people catch a bunch of fish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I mean the Cubs and Astros* proved you can tank and then turn it around and win championships.

ftfy

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

none of the stuff about Easterby and the Texans is particularly surprising, but this os:

quote:

League executives with other teams said the Texans shopped Hopkins for months — and his demand for a top-of-the-market extension limited his trade value

giving the best receiver a contract that reflects his skills limited his trade value? really? GMs are stupid

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Neil Armbong posted:

Glad to know bat boy made something of himself.

god I haven't thought about Bat Boy in years, and the resemblance is unmistakable

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Q_res posted:

I don't see how the league hasn't poo poo a brick over that given they're at least trying to look like they care about minority hires.

what would that even look like? I don’t think we’d ever find out about it, Goodell isn’t gonna start calling out ownership publicly or leaking stuff to the media

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Sour Diesel posted:

archie was right about the chargers

still is

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Eifert Posting posted:

I don't know if I agree with this. The new CBA made holding out pretty much impossible without fiscally shooting yourself in the foot.

top QBs (especially ones that got their big signing bonus already) don’t really have to worry about a few hundred grand in fines the way everyone else does

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Eifert Posting posted:

I might be wrong but I thought in the event someone holds out on a contract under the modern CBA the team can go after their signing bonus.

I'd love to be wrong in that front it's loving Byzantine.

afaik they can only go after a pro-rated amount of it based on how many actual games you hold out

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Doltos posted:

Kaep had a big arm and was mobile and got blackballed right before the Eagles super bowl

I legit wanted the Eagles to sign him after Wentz got hurt

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Jesus why does he look so old

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

if he can’t pick a good job how is he gonna pick a good player LOL 😂

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

BrownThunder posted:

Couldn’t have happened to a better fanbase and city. Fantastic

wow thanks I guess I’ll just go gently caress myself forever then. wow. real classy

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Watson definitely did that poo poo

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Deshaun officially committed a mOJ bomb

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Black Sunshine posted:

Did the NFL ever stop charging the military to do that poo poo?

yes, just another in the long line of awful decisions by the NFL

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Shinji2015 posted:

IANAL, but I thought it turned out that NDAs aren't actually that enforceable, but your average person is unaware of that

if they broke the NDAs now it'd be almost impossible for Watson and his lawyers to prove that the damages he sustained from their testimony amounted to anything significant given the other 22 accusations

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

what if one of them wanted to press criminal charges?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Zaradis posted:

Wow, this is a great thread, very football related.

:rolleyes:

suck my dick. gently caress you

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Eifert Posting posted:

This whole thing has sex addiction defense all over it. (Prematurely: no that does not excuse anything)

that's not really a defense in any universe since a rich young NFL quarterback has multiple avenues with which to pursue consensual sex

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

quote:

Plaintiff believes Watson is in the sex trade.

gotta have something more than “client believes” on this one, idk why you’d even include that other than to grab headlines

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

fast cars loose anus posted:

Yeah so after "yeah I contacted them on instagram but" comes "it was consensual" next will be something like "I am sorry they/I misinterpreted some things"

ah, the Bryant gambit

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

You know a part of him is going “oh Christ are they going to find out he was doing this while on my team?”

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

half cocaine posted:

I will never understand this reverence for college football coaches.

yeah, also college football in general

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Sataere posted:

All he said was it sucks that a high profile player who is very vocal about civil issues that matter turned out to be a monster because it only gives bigots ammunition to dismiss and attack those causes. He isn't wrong.

he’s wrong to worry about it because it turns out bigots don’t need ammunition to dismiss and attack those causes. nobody on either side will have their mind changed about BLM or homeless outreach or etc. by this

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Amy Pole Her posted:

Every single one of Watsons best legal moves going forward are going to seem brutal

what are they

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I wonder if you had traded him... if there would be some boilerplate clause that would let the other team claw back their trade picks over this mess.

I wonder if this is why they were just not taking calls on him

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

fartknocker posted:

Like, given that Watson was still doing stuff a month ago, if they’d known about it prior to that and continued to let it happen... Uh, yeah. :stare:

unless they hacked his Instagram account to read his DMs or had someone tailing him idk what they could have done to prevent it

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Also maybe I’m reading into this the wrong way because obviously a lawyer needs to protect their clients but a strategy of keeping all the women anonymous in the background so that all eyes and attention is on this lawyer makes me question his motives. And in the court of public opinion I think it’s a losing strategy.

it lets him control the narrative for a crucial period of time. if Watson’s legal team had the names the mud would already be flying, especially given how at first the media was affording Watson a ton of rope

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Android Apocalypse posted:

The commissioner's exempt list is right there as a nice convenient Sword of Damocles if no criminal charges come up, but IMO it would require enough of a rabble from sponsors threatening to pull advertising money out before Watson is suspended.

I thought the exempt list could only be used if there were criminal charges

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

pasaluki posted:

Ok Devil's Advocate but why wouldn't journalists worth a poo poo have sources/people to tip them off?

What specifically are you asking here? Are you wondering why sports journalists don’t have inroads with amateur/novice Instagram masseuses?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

there are people on twitter in the replies trying to defend having 40 masseuses over a 2 year period as just something rich people do, which is insane to me. it's like saying rich people have 24 different primary care doctors. if you find one that works why would you be constantly searching for new ones?

e: I guess I could see having a sport masseuse, a Swedish masseuse, uh, idk another kind. reiki? maybe like 2-3 who each do a specific kind

indigi fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 31, 2021

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

K8.0 posted:

I would 100% do this if I were rich and so would nearly everyone I know who regularly sees a massage therapist. I'd see a favorite regular therapist 1 or 2 times a week and every morning that I wasn't seeing them, I'd be going to someone else. Everyone does things slightly differently and I'd be building up a large stable of people to see. It's the only part of this that isn't damning to Watson.

you seem quite insane but maybe it's more common than I thought

also it is still damning to Watson because he was seeking out people who aren't even masseuses

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

even in the case where you are a hoarder but for masseuses you'd probably be soliciting reviews from peers and coworkers and not going through two a month

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

While bad, isn't this textbook 6th? amendment?

this is a civil case

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Fire Safety Doug posted:

What possible benefit would there be for Buzbee to leak the names?

none but he seems like a fuckup so he might accidentally cc the wrong person on an email or something

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

half cocaine posted:

Why read anything but the athletic or defector? Stop wasting your time.

I will if you post the articles here

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Fire Safety Doug posted:

I personally think Watson is definitely a sex creep, but putting him on the exempt list when nothing’s even gone to court yet seems excessive and would definitely result in blowback.

blowback from who?

Chris James 2 posted:

I think he will be and should be put on the list, but I didn't/don't expect anything regarding that was ever going to happen as early as pre-draft

It was part of why I was so surprised when he started losing endorsement deals, usually that occurs when it looks like the year's about to start and the player's about to play and they don't want their ads with him airing

afaik he's only lost one deal so far

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

There's literally nothing to exempt him from at this point.

at this point it would be mere "virtue signaling" to the "wokists" (I actually agree, nbd to wait)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Chris James 2 posted:

Reliant Energy

Nike just put him in time-out. also lol why does Reliant Energy need a QB spokesperson

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

mcmagic posted:

The NFL can't just let him play after basically settling all these cases which is admitting horrible wrongdoing.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Investigative genius, that guy