Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Yvonmukluk posted:

Happy new year everyone! Fingers crossed 2021 is less lovely than 2020.

Given the UK's economy just crashed, the plague is spreading without any meaningful way to contain it, and Boris is in charge?

I may be genuinely worried. I may have been for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Regarde Aduck posted:

You contain it with a lockdown. We're not in a lockdown. They aren't trying.

And they won't. See also: The point about Boris being in charge.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

forkboy84 posted:

There are clearly meaningful ways to contain it because other countries have done better than the UK. The government should have a much tighter definition of essential worker (it is not essential that Game is open for example). People coming into the country should have been quarantined in hotels or similar rather than the farcical trust system. The government should have been paying people to stay at home.

The notion that nothing more could've been done is utter bollocks. Especially as we did absolutely gently caress all for ages.

Okay, you understand that but just worded it poorly, fair enough.

The people who are competent enough to solve these problems are prevented from doing so by failsons who need to feel important.

An obstacle that wouldn't be there if people were smarter, but then, that can be said of most obstacles.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

ronya posted:

the Tories hung themselves on the hope of Test and Trace to resolve the risks they were taking - if anything they were too optimistic on the potential to identify a light-touch solution

and the rhetoric always exposed a kind of unreal regard for it as a panacea - let's say it does work in its optimal scenario, i.e., before mass community transmission, when a new single cluster is identified. And then what? Who hauls all the contacts to isolation for fourteen days?

never mind China, is one even just prepared to be the totalitarian dystopia that is Australia? And if not, why not?

The cruelty is the point, ronya.

You could save so many words if you remembered that.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Nutapii posted:

I am completely uneducated on these matters, so this is a question - You're told to finish antibiotics as otherwise what you're left with is the strong ones that are now antibiotic resistant.

Are viruses so different to bacteria that this isn't an evolutionary driver that will come from having one vaccine dose (whether this is as the effects are all the virus dies or no virus dies, or they evolve too slowly), or will we end up making a bunch of small variants across our population?

lol

If you were looking to extend the crisis by getting a new variant immune to the vaccine, you'd do pretty much exactly what the UK government has done.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
There's an additional very severe problem, OwlFancier.

The chance that you develop immunity to some but not all the tricks the vaccine is trying to teach your immune system.

Then when the virus is still spreading uncontrolled, if a virus variant dodging the vaccine appears, it'll spread through these supposedly immune people like wildfire, and then that virus variant has a much higher chance of being immune to all of the vaccine's methods. On top of being everywhere all of a sudden and also killing the vaccinated vulnerable people.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Regarde Aduck posted:

This seems like an issue with how everyone is rolling out the vaccine though, not just the UK. Isn't the only way to ensure you avoid this scenario to basically wait till everywhere has enough vaccine and then try and give it to everyone in like two weeks? Because that isn't going to happen.

After the booster you're a lot more immune and the vaccine is designed to give you immunity along multiple facets so it's not dodged by simple mutations.

One simple mutation is not that bad, but then when that spreads you have a variant with a mutation mutating further, randomly changing until it gets past everything the current vaccine has to offer.

It can happen anyway, but a half-vaccinated population without their boosters and with a spreading illness is the ideal situation for novel mutations to emerge. The actual good idea is to lock the hell down until most people are vaccinated but that's a good idea and this is about the British response.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Alas no, you'd need an extremely complex mirror (that could change shape constantly) to do that.

Now, with most of them, they *do* have steerable mirrors on the ground so you could theoretically use them to destroy aircraft (or at least make the pilots extremely hot and probably blind) but you're not really able to use it like a wizard's tower to wipe out the competing power plants.

Hmm, but if you had a flying parabolic mirror...

So, Archimedes' mirror, but on a satellite, you say?

Now, have to be careful. You don't want to set the world on fire.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

stev posted:

Close the loving borders you pricks.

Too late, the UK strain is already everywhere in the EU.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Jel Shaker posted:

when you think about it, are we not all time travellers...?

:350:

I'm always stuck in the now, no fair.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

peanut- posted:

The VAT changes are good. It means Amazon, eBay etc will actually have to collect and pay VAT from their international sellers.

It will mean some small vendors whose UK sales are below a few thousand and who sell directly (rather than under a marketplace umbrella) will find it too much headache and won’t ship to the UK. But yeah international trade is complex and sometimes that poo poo happens.

No they're not. They're just plain lovely unless you consider being an rear end in a top hat to anyone foreign a good thing.

It's a bad copy of the EU version, which is functional and fixes a few important oversights, but even the EU version only works because of the size of the EU.

Having to pay the UK to be allowed to pay the UK is stupid as hell, and the EU solution has a backup plan to solve that problem.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Why not do what I do, and just blame the rich.

And the 52% that keep believing them.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Ash Crimson posted:

I believe independence is only a temporary solution but is the only way for any sort of possibility for leftward change, yes it abandons everyone else but I don't know how feasible it is to continue to wait for the country as a whole to suck less

If the mainland is anything to go by, it takes a massive crisis that erases the credibility of the inherited wealth failsons for positive progress to be made.

This is a massive crisis at the very least! Will enough of Britain figure out the whole "uh maybe vote for someone compassionate and competent and stop treating money as evidence of intelligence"?

'cause if they don't, leaving is absolutely the right move. It might still be even if they do.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Surprisingly when you post from a position of "90% of the posters ITT are morally inferior to me because they are on the wrong side of the magic line" that tends not to foster comradely behaviour.

It's pretty obvious their point is more to the tune of "most of the current politicians, journalists and property owners are from the same one or two schools and that kind of advantage is seriously hard to dislodge, so Scotland shouldn't sacrifice itself to try to save England, especially as most of the English have been brainwashed to accept abominations unto man like inherited wealth and inherited titles and would fight against anyone helping them".

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Ash Crimson posted:

I'm in favour of northern independence and other regional variations; I'm not arguing for picot-sykes or a historically similar equivalent and it's weird that you seem to think I am

I even tried engaging in good faith and dropping the hyperbole and posting shtick and you still are hell bent on reading the absolute worst out of everything I say

That's the thing, they're supporting each other's ideas about what kind of a poster you are and don't bother to read your posts.

That'll keep happening. Sorry.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

therattle posted:

It might be relevant that as I understand it Scotland and the Scots were pretty enthusiastic imperialists too. So it’s hardly like Scotland is the blameless victim of English imperialism. As has been noted here already, less focus on nations and more on wealth and power structures would be more productive, especially as these grow more global and supra-national.

My god, my class consciousness has been awakened.

Yeah, and if they made it explicit it's about the richest people in England they'd do slightly better in this thread. It's still not hard to read from context though, so that's on almost everyone else. And you're using "the Scots" the exact same way as they're using "the English". Intentional?

Most of the English don't want to get rid of the monarchy though, and 52% of Britain overall are irrationally racist, so it probably will result in the same response in most places though.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Niric posted:

Having read every post in this thread I can't say I've seen much evidence of Ash engaging in good faith.

E.g.

And when told that it's because England has ~55 million more people than Scotland:

You're very deliberately cherry picking and I don't know how you think you're fooling anyone.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Niric posted:

Most Scottish people don't want to get rid of the monarchy either.

This post is a pretty good example of people making sweeping claims about Scotland (in this case, "is anti monarchy") to support their argument without bothering to check if it holds up. Like you could've said "England is more pro monarchy than Scotland" and it would've been true, but you didn't because you didn't think to check. These kind of sweeping claims that Scotland believes X to prove Scottish moral superiority are something I see a lot of with my scot nat friends

About that cherry picking. Also the Scottish are far from being good about it but honestly neither is anyone else at all. The English are exceptionally bad about it though. Genetics? gently caress no, it's that education system you got. Also media. And government. Really they're all the same problem.

CoolCab posted:

i am personally infinitely forgiving and generally used to prefer to debunk or ridicule silly nationalist arguments. i don't dislike posters, generally, even if i dislike their ideologies, or elements of them. i think right now - humans are social animals and that element of our nature is denied to us and as such it is difficult for us to thrive in these circumstances, we're all sort of getting by and coping the best we can.

Heh this has been a constant problem with this thread from the Brexit vote. Ain't got nothing to do with the pandemic.

Guavanaut posted:

Maybe we should all put aside our differences and agree that the worst loving people are liberal southern fubpees who have started going on about how they're going to move to Scotland and make Scotland independent so that they can rejoin the EU.

Like it's somehow the worst combination of "and then Trump will invoke the pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo clause of the 69th Amendment which will allow Ben Garrison to take command of the Space Force and expose the Dominos pizza machine fraud and this is how he wins in 2021" people and the "as long as I get to go to France on my jollybibs I don't care what the proles actually want" people.

Eh. They're doing what's best for them as individuals. Also they're probably not hurting children and/or refugees, which, y'know. Not the worst people.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

therattle posted:

I don’t think their point is about the richest English though - it seems like a a wider net. I wasn’t using Scots in the same way (I’m not that thoughtful); the point was that if Scottish people are being held up as pure victims of English imperialism that doesn’t really hold water given how many Scots enthusiastically participated in British imperialism and the slave trade. Similarly a poster can’t hold up Scottish people as occupying the moral high ground vis-a-vis the English given their imperial history.

There's going to be a big chunk of people just going along with whatever the society around them appears to find normal, and the rich have a massive hand in shaping that. A lot of people get stuck in their roles and then there's reactance since admitting they were upholding plain lovely ideals for so long is seriously hard.

But you are using "the Scots" the exact way Ash is using "the English", even if you didn't mean to. Maybe ponder that.

CoolCab posted:

oh sorry no i meant people getting emotional a little quicker not whatever extremely valid, astute and existent thing you're talking about, guy who thinks calling guto bebb a star wars name is the same thing as blut und boden

Keep doubling down on racism about "funny" foreign names, I'm sure it'll be a good point any day now.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Guavanaut posted:

That's what got us into most of this mess in the first place, "there's no such thing as society" and the inability to think past one's own nose.

Yes, they're not Prince Andrew or Golden Dawn, but they also do nothing to combat the systems that create Prince Andrew or Golden Dawn, and actively resist anything that might make things better in exchange for fantasy.

I'd be willing to compromise on "they're bad", "worst" is a few steps too far.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

CoolCab posted:

to be completely honest with you even at the time i found comparing an amusing linguistic coincidence - the kind that happens all the time and is part of our rich human condition - to literal nazi ideology to be extremely offensive, which is probably why it stuck with me to be honest? you know, you get called a blood and soil fascist and you remember it?

e: sorry, for calling guto bebb a star wars name, let me be clear

Oh ho, you're learning. Now if you figure out why I find it so offensive, you'll be well on your way to being as good a poster as therattle.

I'm not sure if I called you a fascist or not, but the real meaning of it was "you're being shockingly racist", so I can't in good conscience say I'm sorry about it.

Man, props to therattle, he started out real bad a poster but he's clearly demonstrated being capable of questioning his beliefs and learning. Learning at a clearly better than average pace too. Top tip for therattle: Never believe everything you think or anything I say.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I don't think you're a fascist at all but honestly your post taking the piss out of Guto Bebb's name is honestly something my mind goes to everytime this thread talks about nationalism, because it is such a perfect example of ingrained english chauvinism .

e: it is partially because I have a very Welsh name and English people often assume I'm "foreign"

I was questioning my use of "foreign" but when you make fun of someone's name like that, you clearly perceive it as foreign and don't see the problem in making fun of names that sound foreign to you. Wasn't meant to call Guto Bebb or you "foreign", sorry if it came across that way.

CoolCab posted:

i mean please finish "blood and soil fascist" when you say "i don't think your a fascist"- i feel like abbreviating it kind of reduces the absurdity of it? like, i'm here pointing out - with no negative connotation whatsoever, just observing the coincidence - and your compromise is i don't think you're a fascist.

i mean hell we could probably even investigate - star wars was shot in the UK, maybe lucas's writing was influenced by the welsh language he picked up somewhere? it's not impossible - perhaps you could find some linguistic connection? there are so many ways we can look at this thing instead of forcing it into this hyper defensive nationalist framework and yet, instead, i'm a blood and soil fascist.

you know actually in hindsight i'm kind of more annoyed at that than i thought.

Oh well there you go again I'm glad I didn't say I'm sorry.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Jakabite posted:

You know what is endlessmonotony? The last 3 pages of this thread.

E: ^^^^^ yes there is

It's my own joke I shouldn't keep finding it funny!

But I've got nothing interesting left to say on the subject.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Dabir posted:

in what way is the new virus more transmissible? would it be too paranoid to go back to washing all your shopping

Mostly it's just better at traveling through exhaled air. So avoid unmasked people like the plague.

Washing all your shopping is slightly excessive. Though if you do, remember the thing can't stand being over 70C internal temperature or any encounters with soap.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Lt. Danger posted:

things I have read in this thread, in no particular order
  • #notallmen
  • why are you mad it was just a joke
  • accusing me of racism is the real crime
  • you didn't use the correct words, your feelings are invalid

The way that first one is used is just plain impressive.

Especially since it's true that the media are using English nationalism as a cudgel so anyone who rejects English nationalism is easier to persuade to go against those entrenched interests.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Ash Crimson posted:

Maybe I'm just too broken as a human being but the idea that you can distinguish the "good ones" from a voting pool that's in the millions makes my brain do a double take because I don't know if I can accurately process such information without being overwhelmed

Just add #notallenglish to your posts when you're at all uncertain. Or just whenever, why not.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Oi before you put words into my mouth, do read my posts and the posts that... caused?... this derail in the Feb 2020 UKMT.

Or don't. Seriously don't. They're not better than this derail.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

XMNN posted:

it should be illegal to go for a walk in the woods because you might enjoy it too much

all outdoor exercise should be strictly limited to industrial estates in the cold and wet, preferably at night, in order to prevent anyone lapsing into dangerous "recreation"

I like desolate cityscapes, concrete, and decay though.

I can't stand sunshine, crowds or joy.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Leggsy posted:

I still see old 'flaps show up every one in a while in Scotpol twitter replies. My curiosity got the better of me once and I clicked through to his profile. Just tens/hundreds of posts a day attacking trans people and sealioning (ugh) random people in their twitter replies. If he wasn't such a horrible person I'd be a bit worried for him tbh since he seems to have gotten a full case of Glinnerbrain. This was at least half a year back and it seems he's still at it, incredible.

That's some high impact posting.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Bobby Deluxe posted:

How does the 'can survive on surfaces for up to 24 hours' thing factor in outside? Or is that another early pandemic thing that turned out not to be right?

The fuckers can handle seven days on surfaces, unless those surfaces are frozen. If they're frozen we don't know the upper limit, or if there's one.

But direct sunlight will kill them real fast, and even indirect UV light can deal with them within a day easily.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Hmm, perhaps we should be looking at some way of getting the UV inside the body.

When you got enough waterproof UV leds, the sun shines out of your arse.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Pissflaps is Blair, yes. This was pretty obvious from their posting.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

And all because maybe 10 people sold their vouchers for drugs or whatever. Millions shall be punished.

Oh please. It doesn't matter if those people who sold their vouchers ever existed.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Guavanaut posted:

I remember the food hygiene courses where they said "idk just use what's lying around, bank bag, newspaper, dog poo bag (remember to scrape out any dog poo)"

Those could be food grade freezer bags. They certainly look the part.

Well some of them. Some are definitely coin bags. And food hygiene courses have some strong words to say about repackaging tinned goods.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Food safe bags are £1/200 when bought in bulk by the way.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I know! I'm not agreeing with it! Whether they did or whether they didn't, noone should be penalized.

They're being penalized for being poor, not for some imaginary crime.

"The cruelty is the point" could be the perpetual thread title.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

TACD posted:

Suddenly having flashbacks to when we arrived in the UK and I first tried Smarties, and now realising I have no idea if they still come in tubes or if they even still exist. Smarties are still around, right? :ohdear:

Not in the UK, no.

lol Brexit

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Jakabite posted:

Yeah I think we could do with, as a movement/body of thought or whatever, do with getting past the idea that 'the cruelty is the point'. It's over-simple and isn't going to help us take down the system that encourages this sort of behaviour. Obviously it's fine as a throwaway sentiment but it's ultimately unhelpful as it encourages those on the left to be intellectually lazy, which to be honest we already have a big enough problem with.

Hiring someone to split up bags of pasta isn't in any way efficient.

At best it's someone very stupid wanting to mimic the expected amounts of pasta consumed during a school meal; but there's also a lot of cruelty involved.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Jakabite posted:

overthinking things and generally being far too academic and verbose

... what.

You're not thinking about things enough. You're certainly being far too verbose.

The cruelty is the point. What they've done makes absolutely zero sense to people who would work for £8 per hour, so the orders are coming from above from people who want to dehumanize the poor.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

CoolCab posted:

also it's very important to develop these intense ideological frameworks and learn to develop our ideas, otherwise we might make extreme allegations that cause us to look very silly, and be laughed at.

You just can't stop bringing up a post made in February of 2020 that doesn't even say what you claim it says, huh?

Seriously, to anyone believing this poo poo, go check out the original post. Or y'know, don't, it's the exact same derail.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

CoolCab posted:

i'm sorry i don't consider it polite to link to certain post histories from a harm reduction perspective?

You're deliberately being a contrarian who can't stop doubling down on being racist, so maybe "polite" was beyond your reach all along.

Jesus this derail sucked then and it sucks now, I'll stop it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Jakabite posted:

Saying that something is the point of an action implies that the main or primary goal of carrying out that action is that something. Cruelty can’t be the point if it isn’t intentional. It’s more a by-product. The action is cruel but the cruelty isn’t the point of the action. We might just disagree on the finer points of what a point is.

endlessmonotony... fine, if you want to take literally the most surface level analysis of things and not interrogate any further as to what the systemic motivations behind cruel actions might be then okay, but there are people who would quite like to and find that useful. ‘Bad thing done because doing bad thing fun for bad person’ might be comforting in some way but isn’t actually how anything works. Also I know I was being verbose, I was putting a caveat to my post that I realise that snappy slogans like cruelty is the point have their uses and should probably be used more by the left, but aren’t that useful in our little echo chamber.

Still too many words.

Explaining how a well-meaning person arrives at splitting bell peppers and repackaging pasta that wouldn't be immediately recognized as being inefficient and stupid by anyone willing to work for £8 would be an impressive feat. They may think they're helping the poor by making it miserable to be poor, so people work harder to not be, that's the only one I can see; they think they're cruel for a reason, their reasons are bullshit, and they're still being cruel on purpose.