Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

For those (like me) who didn't get the reference:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Four_Just_Men_(novel)

Wikipedia posted:

He had to create his own publishing company, Tallis, to publish it and decided to manage a 'guess the murder method' competition in the Daily Mail with a prize of £1,000 (equivalent in purchasing power to at least £93,000 in 2013). Wallace intended to advertise the book on an unprecedented scale, not just in Britain itself but across the Empire. He approached the proprietor, Lord Harmsworth for the loan of the £1,000 and was promptly refused, but Wallace pressed ahead anyway. His alarmed workmates at the Mail prevailed upon him to lower the prize money to £500: a £250 first prize, £200 second prize and £50 third prize, but were unable to restrain him in the privacy of his home. Wallace had advertisements placed on buses, hoardings, flyers, and so forth, running up an incredible bill of £2,000. Though he knew he needed the book to sell sufficient copies to make £2,500 before he saw any profit, Wallace was confident that this would be achieved in the first three months of the book going on sale, hopelessly underestimating the expenses.

Enthusiastic, but without any substantial managerial skill, Wallace had also made a far more serious error. He ran the FJM serial competition in the Daily Mail but failed to include any limitation clause in the competition rules restricting payment of the prize money to one winner only from each of the three categories. Only after the competition had closed and the correct solution printed as part of the final chapter denouement did Wallace learn that he was legally obliged to pay every person who answered correctly the full prize amount in that category; if six people got the 1st Prize answer right, he would have to pay not £250 but 6 × £250, or £1500, if three people got the 2nd Prize it would be £600 and so on.

Additionally, though his advertising gimmick had worked as the novel was a bestseller, Wallace discovered that instead of his woefully over-optimistic three months, FJM would have to continue selling consistently with no margin of error for two full years to recoup the £2,500 he had mistakenly believed he needed to break even. Unfortunately during this period the number of entrants correctly guessing the right answer continued to rise inexorably. Wallace's response was to simply ignore the situation, but circumstances were ominous. As 1906 began and continued without any list of prize winners being printed, more and more suspicions were being voiced about the honesty of the competition. In addition, for a working-class Edwardian family, £250 was a fortune and since those who were winners knew it (courtesy of the published solution) they had been waiting impatiently for the prize to be paid out. Harmsworth, having refused the initial £1,000 loan, was furious at having now to loan over £5,000 to protect the newspaper's reputation because Wallace couldn't pay.

Wallace went bankrupt and hastily sold the rights to the novel for £75 to Sir George Newnes to provide token amounts to his creditors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Some Guy TT posted:

Hey, that's not a joke, it's just a unadorned recitation of the proverb!

I may be missing a joke, but the proverb is "repent at leisure", not repeat.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Samovar posted:

I am curious as to how many get this, since it does involve having to know the unofficial motto of the Canadian Mounties (no, not 'Lets take all First Nation people on starlight tours'), and that ain't common in Europe.

I got it more by cultural osmosis from cartoons, probably starring Yogi Bear. I don't think I've been within ten thousand km of Canada.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
That's a pretty good joke for Mandrake.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Samovar posted:

However, I must say first up, I won't be as regular with this series as I was with Corto for a couple of reasons. 1) I have a job, now and 2) Translating a book that is heavy in idioms translated from French into idioms in Swedish into idioms in English is a little tough. Also, this series is published in colour, but I'm uploading in black and white because it is easier for me to edit the words, easier to sharpen images and also provides an impetus for anyone who would be interested in reading more themselves to support the original writers/artists and get the books themselve. If it's too distracting, I could see about changing my attitude, and I also welcome criticism re. text font, size, etc.

For mine, I think that font works really well for the material.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

BigglesSWE posted:

The way I crop and upload them might not be the best in terms of quality (saving them directly from the site won’t work, it only saves the web address); any tips on how to find a better solution is welcome!

If you're pulling them from GoComics, you can view the page source and look for the bit starting "https://assets.amuniversal.com/" - that link will take you to the image in the best resolution GoComics has it, I think.

For example that strip is
code:
https://assets.amuniversal.com/a5d7bd405d21012ee3bd00163e41dd5b

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

That panel of Modesty trying to explain things to an uncaring bureaucracy appeals to me - some problems you can't solve with a Kongo.

In other Modesty Blaise news, our friends over at the Daily Cartoonist recently linked to this blog from 2011:

http://cloud-109.blogspot.com/2011/05/modesty-forbids-prologue.html

which is a multi part series discussing changes in artists over the years. I know it's come up in previous threads, but this is nicely set out for anyone who was both interested and didn't know.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

FrumpleOrz posted:

Ella Cinders

That third panel is the quintessential Ella panel, and I only regret I'll never have the chance to use it.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Slammy posted:

Mopsy Sunday (November 2, 1947)

This is a Sunday Mopsy that feels like something the weekday Mopsy would have done.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Kennel posted:

Nancy

I feel this is Nancy.png about 40% of the time. The highs are high, and the rest is this.

Dustin

... that's not an edit.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Kennel posted:

Nancy

and here's Heart:

I checked the last few weeks and while I like the art, it's still not really grabbing me. Shame.

Heh, who says you can't have continuity in a gag strip? Last April 1:

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

"I can't tell whether she's happy to see me or not"

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Kennel posted:

We'll still have 10 years before his retirement + 2 years before death. I remember the last story being really rough (it was cut short), but unfortunately the images that were posted in the earlier thread are dead.

Someone with CK account could dig us some May 2013 samples.

I can't hate Mandrake because of the egg aliens. They bought a lot of goodwill.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Heh, someone reminded Olivia:

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Johnny Walker posted:

Mark Trail

Nope. Not about bees.

Jules, don't go all Jam Esallan on us!

https://santacruzmountains.com/ecotourism/mountain-lions/

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Pancho Jueves posted:

This update from Berkeley Breathed's Facebook might be of interest to this crowd:

I'm relieved that the comments seem to be all liking Hobbes' appearance, and not agreeing with Opus. It's Berke Breathed, but it's also Facebook and 2021, so I feared the worst.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Powered Descent posted:

What's wrong with what Opus is saying? He's delighted that they're vaccinated and it's safe to ditch the masks. I'm in exactly the same boat.

I was thinking any mention of taking off masks tends to bring out the denialists.

I guess I've become a little gun shy over the past year or so.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Between Pluggers being born in 1970 and this, it feels like there's been a behind the scenes change in comics, and everyone has suddenly realised what year it is.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

catlord posted:

Axa

Where else would he play tricks?

Post apocalypse stories in the seventies and eighties tended to play to particular tropes, but I think a crosscountry Formula One race may be unique. Even touring cars might have made more sense.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

I know it gets said all the time, but Prince Valiant is so, so good.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Nancy has a Spanish language edition.

Sometimes they make more of an effort, and sometimes they don't.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Medenmath posted:

Prince Valiant

Modern Prince Valiant is a bit of a step down from the OG Val we've been regaled with, but that is a hell of a first panel.

Kennel posted:

Cruel Little Stories

Ouch.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
It's in the public domain, you oik.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Olivia Jaimes can still lift for the Labor Day strips, it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Is no one else going to comment on the fact that this man apparently saw the Phantom's eyes and lived to tell about it?

He saw Savarna's eyes, which as far as we know only have conventional powers to freeze a man's blood. The Phantom has always been depicted as still wearing his sunglasses through surgery and such.