Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 62 44.93%
No 76 55.07%
Total: 138 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Duzzy Funlop posted:

What...what's even the point of staging that?

Playing the victim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

For whatever reason people here are willing to completely discount the fact that it might just be the work of anarchists

i know anarchists like to tape bricks to make sure that spraypaint doesn't get on them.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

They did not use tape at McConnell's house:

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1345406495501000709

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Cythereal posted:

Also, since it hadn't been posted here, the UK continues to see if they can be dumber than the US.

https://twitter.com/uk_domain_names/status/1345152869062864902?s=20

:lol:

Brexit has made England an island again.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Shatner has enough money. He's going to stop selling his poo poo in the UK because of what equates to a tax accountant fee on his end? Does he not profit more than $1000/year from the sales of his trinkets in the UK or do the losses start cutting into his History Channel bullshit show money?

I'm not really a fan. Dude always came off as a tremendous douche to me and that's not a reason to celebrate a person.

Almost $1400 once converting from pounds to dollars - and that's just to file the registration paperwork. They then have to pay an additional 20% tax on everything they sell.

The UK has levied what is effectively a 20% tariff on virtually all goods that could be imported. A lot of people are going to stop selling to the UK rather than have to go through the additional cost of registering and paying the VAT. It's difficult to pass through a 20% increase to customers and maintain enough business to justify operating.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

poo poo yeah they did.

I'd expect Shatner, and any american company shipping poo poo to the UK, just to raise prices 20% to compensate for that self-imposed bullethole in the foot of the brits.

It would end up being 25% to cover the VAT entirely because it's based upon the final sale price. For example, a widget costs $100 pre-VAT. If you just increased that to $120 to offset the 20% tax, you'd pay $24 in VAT ($120*20%) and end up only getting $96 for the widget. To balance that, widget maker will actually have to charge $125 (vat = $25) to get the same $100.

A sudden 25% increase in the cost of goods (which is already probably higher because of shipping costs) is going to cause a large dropoff in orders. Dropoffs in sales mean you get less benefit from bulk shipping, etc. There are cascading effects of such large tariffs and they effectively stop the sale of the good because the price is too high compared to domestic alternatives.

For a real world example, the chicken tax put a 25% tariff on imported trucks which has basically killed all foreign truck sales in the united states for almost 50 years or so. The chicken tax is why toyota trucks and the like sold in America are made in America.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 3, 2021

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Four minutes and change of the audio:

https://twitter.com/keithedwards/status/1345796238722129923

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The question as to whether that call rises to criminal conduct will be answered in the coming weeks.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I'm listening to the full audio because I hate myself and this is just loving nuts.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Stultus Maximus posted:

Let us know what else there is. Because I hate myself enough to be a runner, to stay in the reserves, and to teach middle school, but not enough to listen to an hour of Trump on the phone.

It's actually not bad. It's insane. But it isn't exactly a trump rally because there are the georgian republicans flat telling him he's wrong.

And he's getting mad.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Oh, yeah, trump is loving ranting in unhinged fashion the whole time, but it's nice for people to tell him no from time to time.

Also he's got into an argument about someone calling the consent decree a settlement agreement.

E: I'm just listening while watching redzone. I think it's worth it. It's an hour of your time, but give it a listen.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 3, 2021

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

https://twitter.com/nycjim/status/1345901099312676871

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Trump is suing Brad Raffensperger because he's saying the phone call was confidential settlement negotiations.

e: apparently some sources got wires crossed. This was just someone being salty saying the phone call was confidential discussions regarding two pending lawsuits.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 4, 2021

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Turns out there's no new lawsuits just some chud bitching about pending ones.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I think it's crazy that we don't actually know what Julius Caesar looked like because there are zero confirmed busts of him. Augustus was vain as gently caress and there are statues or busts of him everywhere. None of ol' Gaius, though.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Platystemon posted:

What do you have against the Tusculum portrait?

For whatever reason, I thought there were some issues with it. Guess not!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

facialimpediment posted:

Donnie speaks at around Noon EST to the rally, Electoral College count kicks off at 1PM. The end time is unclear, some are saying 9PM, others saying could go past midnight. Each objection basically adds two hours and I've seen confirmation of three state objections (AZ/GA/PA) with another possible two (MI/NV) that might happen.

Each objection adds up to two hours of debate. That doesn't mean they have to actually debate for two hours.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

US Berder Patrol posted:

The disparity between the tone of police response between Portland and the Capitol is glaring to me. If this had been a crowd protesting police violence, there would be a huge warcrime party. A bunch of these protesters would be dead, maimed, brain damaged, blinded and magically turned into felons. These people are vandalizing the highest halls of power and the cops are like guyyyyysss cmonnnn

Fox news just poo poo all over the police for not being prepared since they knew this poo poo was coming.

Also, major lobby asking pence to invoke the 25th:

https://twitter.com/rebeccaballhaus/status/1346928521667600384

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

police are clearing the capitol.

I'm watching fox news and both of their on the ground reporters have been moved out.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

woman that was shot has died.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I'm watching fox news and they just said it on the air.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Soylent Pudding posted:

Dare I ask where the video aired?

I saw it on fox. She looked hosed. I turned on fox just to see how they were reacting to this, and they have overwhelmingly condemned it. Every republican they've had on the air has said this is hosed up and trump is at fault. I'm really shocked by it.

Stravag posted:

Is it even confirmed if she was a trumper or congress staffer yet?

She looked like a protestor to me.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Pipe bombs are not WMDs but they are definitely IEDs.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

https://twitter.com/shomaristone/status/1347351133132644358?s=21

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Porfiriato posted:

Someone in the comments claims that abstentions might be a way for the Senate to get to a 2/3rds supermajority without actually forcing some Republicans to vote for impeachment. It's an interesting tactic, but I thought an impeachment vote required 2/3rds of all Senators, not just 2/3rds of those voting.

I think its 2/3 of the senators present if they have a quorum.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

zoux posted:

James Schlesinger famously tried to take Nixon's launch authority during the final days of his presidency.

I say "tried" because it didn't get tested so we don't know what would've happened if crazy Nixon had decided to nuke Moscow in a drunken depression. So at this point, do y'all think that senior military leadership would take an order to launch right now? I'm sure a similar thing is happening in the WH right now, but where exactly is that circuit broken? Who does the president tell to launch the missiles, or open the football or whatever. I know he has unilateral authority to order a strike, but I assume it's not something he could do literally by himself. I'm not THAT worried about it but I'm not zero worried about it, which is where I should be on "will a crazed US president start a nuclear war out of spite" scale.

It wasn't just Schlesinger. Alex Haig was essentially running the country and had told anyone in the cabinet that orders came from him, not Nixon. It was the closest this nation has came to an actual military coup, and if Nixon had actually tried to do anything, it would have become one.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

TRUMPS TWITTER PERMANENTLY SUSPENDED

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

If you didn't click the twitter link, he was permanently suspended for the two tweets today. They broke down their analysis for the decision:

We assessed the two Tweets referenced above under our Glorification of Violence policy, which aims to prevent the glorification of violence that could inspire others to replicate violent acts and determined that they were highly likely to encourage and inspire people to replicate the criminal acts that took place at the U.S. Capitol on January 6, 2021.

This determination is based on a number of factors, including:

President Trump’s statement that he will not be attending the Inauguration is being received by a number of his supporters as further confirmation that the election was not legitimate and is seen as him disavowing his previous claim made via two Tweets (1, 2) by his Deputy Chief of Staff, Dan Scavino, that there would be an “orderly transition” on January 20th.
The second Tweet may also serve as encouragement to those potentially considering violent acts that the Inauguration would be a “safe” target, as he will not be attending.
The use of the words “American Patriots” to describe some of his supporters is also being interpreted as support for those committing violent acts at the US Capitol.
The mention of his supporters having a “GIANT VOICE long into the future” and that “They will not be disrespected or treated unfairly in any way, shape or form!!!” is being interpreted as further indication that President Trump does not plan to facilitate an “orderly transition” and instead that he plans to continue to support, empower, and shield those who believe he won the election.
Plans for future armed protests have already begun proliferating on and off-Twitter, including a proposed secondary attack on the US Capitol and state capitol buildings on January 17, 2021.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Stultus Maximus posted:

What were the tweets?

“The 75,000,000 great American Patriots who voted for me, AMERICA FIRST, and MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN, will have a GIANT VOICE long into the future. They will not be disrespected or treated unfairly in any way, shape or form!!!”

“To all of those who have asked, I will not be going to the Inauguration on January 20th.”

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

fknlo posted:

I have to say that I’m still blown away by the events of this week. The followers of the sitting President attempted a coup at his request and all that’s going to happen is that he’s banned from social media. There are over one hundred legislators doing seditious things and not a single one of them will suffer any consequences.

The fact that the President is a literal god king if he has ANY support from his party is so insane. Good luck getting his hand picked acting cabinet to use the only other option to remove him.

I knew this country was completely hosed but to have it all laid bare like this is so nuts.

That isn't all that's happening. The house is impeaching him next week. More than a dozen people from Wednesday have already been arrested. Pence won't remove him via the 25th which is most likely why Chao and DeVos punched their tickets. Things are still moving.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Trump tried posting on his alt and the post was deleted within 4 minutes of it happening. @POTUS is not suspended, but Twitter is not allowing any posts to be made to the account.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

e: I'm a dingus.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 9, 2021

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Stultus Maximus posted:

Who would be #52?

For some dumb reason I thought Cindy McCain held some office.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

hosed.

Also impeachment bill in the house has 210 cosponsors. Two articles. First is about trying to gently caress with the election in Georgia. Second is about sending his thugs to the capitol on the 6th.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Naramyth posted:

I feel like all this is from like 15 years ago. Message boards, IRC, etc had to figure out that the ironic hate speech isn’t actually ironic and we sort of got that sorted (or pushed the assholes off the platforms) then. Now we get to do it again that the Facebook moms and chud uncles of the world are finally online and it’s the same bullshit but with a bigger base.

https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/1033506727352782849?s=21

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

facialimpediment posted:

I'm not sure this holds, but if it does, fuckin lmao on a stick.

https://twitter.com/robfardon/status/1348842175841394690?s=19

Well, Trump seems to think that aunt tifa was responsible for the capitol attack not his supporters, so they don't deserve a pardon.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Trump spoke for a minute before boarding a flight a bit ago:

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1349018177624289282

It's more of his mob boss talk. He doesn't want violence, but Nancy and Chuck are making everyone angry!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Notahippie posted:

This just looks like a map of US population density, with maybe oversampling in the Tennessee/Northern GA/Carolinas region and Florida

This is the same data adjusted per capita. The largest county by that measure has less than 200 people in it.

https://twitter.com/PeterCBlack/status/1348859919445807106

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Grip it and rip it posted:

Would he have gotten one of the bad batches? Might've saved himself from death

He was kicked out in 2007, so maybe. I got mine in 2007 and the batch numbers were just a few sequentially after the bad ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

hobbesmaster posted:

Isn’t this unconstitutional

It would be unconstitutional for capitol police to stop them from entering because something they had with them. The house can absolutely institute rules to regulate conduct of its members, though.