Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

seiferguy posted:

I was really into BMWs in my early 20s (had '91 3 series as my first car), so I learned a lot about them. I'd likely pick the BMW M1 just because of the sheer rarity and weird story around it.

The thing about BMWs is, no matter how good they are, Porsche always has a car that's just slightly better.

Few years ago we went to visit my grandparents in Florida and my dad and I snuck out for a day to go watch the 12 Hours of Sebring. They did some demo laps with historical race cars and they let loose a 3.0 CSL and that thing was loving MEAN.

I also became a huge BMW nerd, my first one was right after I graduated high school was a nearly mint ‘89 325iS, to date my favorite car I’ve ever owned. Some stuff went wrong with it that was outside of my wheelhouse at the time so I sold it to a tech at work, and watched it pop up over the years on my Facebook feed as he turned it into a drift missile and absolutely destroyed it. Tied for one of my biggest car sale regrets :smith:

Since then I’ve had a ‘90 318i, a ‘94 325i (functioning heated seats, 6-disc CD changer in the trunk :whatup:) and now I have a rusty beat up ‘89 325i that I’m waiting for my nightmare of a house closing to end so I can pull it out of mothballs and drag it over here to start breathing life back into it. So yeah, my magical car to keep forever would probably be an E30 M3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Square
May 14, 2009

harperdc posted:

my high school car is also a '89 325iS, almost backed the loving thing into a telephone pole when rain + teenage driver + limited-slip differential added up one night. oops.

Lol, yeah dumb 19 year old me got a little too confident sliding mine around when it was wet and one day I was power sliding out of a wide rear end open and empty round-a-bout and had my first experience with snap oversteer. Car flew off to the opposite side of the road and I slid to a stop about 4 inches past a big concrete light post.

Honestly I miss driving BMWs because so many people get worked up into a frenzy about the BMW stereotype and I’m just like “Dunno man, I just think they’re cool, sorry it makes you mad?” My dad used to talk poo poo all the time about unreliable over-engineered German poo poo as I’m daily driving my 25 year old 200K+ mile 3 series with no issues and he’s taking his garbage beloved Chevy Astro to his friend’s shop every other month :v:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I’m glad Wisconsin’s vaccine program seems to be better than most states and expanding soon, but I’m still annoyed at our first tier requirements which technically do not allow my fiancé and I to get it yet (she has terminal breast cancer and is in home hospice now, I am her primary caregiver) yet two of my friends were able to get vaccinated (they are technically “essential” infrastructure workers, but I am happy they’re vaccinated because I fuckin miss my friends and want to hug them.)

Anyway, grill list, I mostly only smoke but I’m eyeing up a flat top grill for smashburgs and searing:
Brisket
Pork
Random experiments like marinated steaks with Mexican seasonings and cotija cheese on toasted buns with charred onions, or marinated chicken breasts, blackened and made into sammiches with charred peppers. Basically I like grilling stuff and making tasty sammiches.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Thanks for the kind thoughts everyone. Here and AI are my favorite two corners of the internet, you’re all super kind folks.

D-LINK posted:

It's hard to imagine what this bike meant in context of 1977, this bike is sick even for now

My dad has one of these in his endless ocean of bikes (or technically a Z1-900 or whatever the hell) and I used to have free reign to ride it to school when I was a Junior/Senior in high school (even rode it to school in nothing but a bedsheet toga during homecoming week lol) and yeah, something that big, klunky, and heavy has absolutely no business being as fast as it is. To answer your thought, he said these things were just absolutely insane to people when they came out in the 70s. He took it apart years ago to do some poo poo to it and it just sits in the corner of the garage now because he has serious motorcycle ADHD and can’t finish a project before finding something else to buy and tool around with.

Of course, that just means I get to pop over and abuse any new toys he wants to show off to me. He picked up an old Ducati 990 SuperSport that I got to beat the poo poo out of on all of the back country roads last summer, and that thing sounds absolutely gorgeous. He also somehow managed to find a Ducati F1B which is something I’ve never heard about, but it’s basically a late 80s homologated race bike and only about 200 of them exist in the US. He’s got some old Ducati whisperer greybeard going through it right now, and I cannot wait to gently caress around with that thing.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Update: he's being treated for a UTI but they also detected excessive bladder skin cells in his urine so he might have a growth... We're going to move forward as if a UTI but if that doesn't work then a sonogram is next. Please send Ts&Ps (treats&pets)

Hope he feels better soon! Our geriatric greyhound had a nasty, persistent UTI this past summer that had me back and forth to the vet like 8 times, she kept having the most vile smelling accidents overnight. She went on like three different antibiotics including one for a full month, and the second she went off it she was back to nasty pees on the carpet. That was pretty much the end of the road, because her heart isn’t strong enough to go under for surgery, but my fiancé kinda last ditch Hail Mary ordered these cranberry urinary tract support treats and...they work? She gets two treats a day and I give her a wipe with a baby wipe once or twice a day after I let her out and we don’t seem to have any problems anymore.

I get to attempt to re-silicon my shower today. I spent like 8 hours last week chipping away the old stuff that might as well have been God drat construction adhesive. There’s no way I’m able to clean it up 100% so I just did the best I could and am probably going to end up using the bath tub shower until I can afford to put in a new stall :(

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Benny chat: One time I made a giant pizza sized English muffin, cut it in half, and stacked a bunch of prosciutto and a dozen poached eggs and dumped a bunch of Hollandaise and chives all over and served up two enormous Eggs Benedicts to a bunch of friends for breakfast. That’s probably the coolest food thing I’ve ever done.

Speaking of friends, I did a dumb thing and ordered one of those Sauce Toss yard games and a couple of hockey sticks. I set it up in the basement last night and donged a bunch of pucks off the walls instead of into the net. I’m really excited for everyone to get vaccinated and fling pucks around with my pals, it seems like it’ll be really fun.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I think I’m gonna dust off the kettle grill this weekend and smoke a hunk of pork shoulder I got sitting in the freezer. Maybe make some homemade Hawaiian rolls for some pulled pork sliders.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I will say, having two friends recently getting their first jab, I don’t foresee Bill Gates/Micro$oft jokes getting old any time soon.

I don’t know how I’m ever going to acclimate to going back into the office to work. Deciding you’re hungry and walking ten feet into the kitchen to throw some leftover corned beef, cheese, and kraut onto a sandwich and toasting it up is a luxury I’m gonna miss.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It was Dewey who was preordained to live an easy and happy life.

This doofus that used to hang out with us thought he could just live stream whatever and get Twitch famous, and we were just like okay whatever have fun. At one point he had like 10 people watching us gently caress around with some lovely mini bike and some German dude in the chat says “Lol dude in the red shirt looks like Dewey from Malcom in the Middle” and all of my friends looked at me like :haw: and I’ve pretty much just been Dewey ever since.

To be fair, I’m totally cool with it, because Dewey is the best character in that show alongside Hal.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

RDR2 owns, no one ever told me what my pro-rated amount of vacation or elective holidays were when I started my job last year until December when some director was like “yeah you have like 11 days you need to burn before the end of the year” so I got RDR2 on sale for $20 and basically drank a lot of whiskey and played that for two weeks straight. The guns and shooting feel so satisfying and making long treks on your horse is relaxing. Controls kinda suck though.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Hot Diggity! posted:

Man gently caress this stupid country. A friend of mine was asked to resign her job because she wouldn't go into their office on a daily basis until she and her family who are immunocompromised received the vaccine.

Yeah, they required our team to return to the office every other week back in June which is loving dumb on its own right, but they allowed exception requests to be submitted and granted my case no problem. I have to submit a written extension request every month and a half or so. Yesterday morning I sent an email to all of my supervisors basically saying “partner is now on home hospice and I’m gonna need to request to remain at home indefinitely” and I haven’t heard a peep from any of them so now I’m just anxious and waiting for the “lol get hosed turn in your laptop by the end of the day” email.

iwentdoodie posted:

I haven't met or seen a single tradesman wearing a mask since all this started. My buddy works for a small (10ish employees) welding and fab shop, he's the only one that wears a mask.

Hes also the only one to not get covid.
My best friend works in a weld shop and everyone was required to wear masks per our state’s mandate. Until everyone on the shop floor found out everyone in the office never even started wearing masks and were like uhh what the gently caress, if they’re not then we’re not. Instead of management going “What the gently caress office people, wear your masks” they went “Huh good point, carry on” and now my friend has basically been the only guy in the building wearing a mask for the last six months. Him and his wife just had their first child back in May so he’s none too happy about all of it, but he has managed to not get Covid yet to his knowledge thankfully.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Im having spicy ranch 3D Doritos with lunch. They’re a lot smaller than I remember.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

iwentdoodie posted:

So, there's 4 super nerdy looking early 20s late teens guys that just rolled up in a mid 00s LR. Wind is 20 to 30mph, and they're trying to put up a tent, and then tried to put up a tarp covering it by attaching it to the roof rack.

Let me tell you, the sight of a skinny dude getting yeeted off the roof of a land rover while holding the end of a tarp is a scene that I will never forget.

If the wind down there is similar to what’s going on up here which it sounds like it is, and from my experiences back in my racing days, you got more balls than anyone going around that track sleeping in a tent surrounded by other tents and pop-up canopies. I have seen even anchored EZ-UPs gently caress some poo poo UP when the wind picks up in the pits.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Lol so our entire division consisting of several teams of 5-10 people is transitioning to a singular payroll platform instead of six or seven different ancient platforms and we’ve been on terrifyingly useless training calls for the last couple weeks. Today someone on a team from our location shared their screen to be walked through something and clearly picked the wrong screen to share, because 50+ people across North America stared in silence at their team’s private group chat absolutely making GBS threads all over this training session for about 45 seconds :laugh:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

No Butt Stuff posted:

Ahaha yessss. Just got pulled out of line by the pharmacist to go get a vaccine in a new line.

My secret super power is all of the lines at the grocery store being long, and some worker will be bored enough to motion for me to come to an empty checkout, ring me up quick, and then run back to the break room or whatever. Except only at Festival Foods.

Wisconsin is expanding their vaccines to include those with a BMI of 25 or over which I have successfully achieved, but when I went to fill out my application it won’t let me because I already completed it, but before that was even a selection I could make :mad:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Welp apparently Walgreens in at least the Milwaukee area got a gently caress ton of J&J vaccines or something, because a friend in our group chat sent a random public portal link today and it has absolutely zero requirements, just asked for first name, last initial, email, DOB and then a form to print and fill out. I scheduled an appointment at 12:00 today and drove down to some community health center and got my shot at 3:00.

Does this make me the J&J gang leader? :confuoot:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

No poo poo, dude doesn't even get the benefit of 5G.

So far my only side effect is this strange dial-up noise I keep hearing.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Johnson & Johnson trip report:

Arm was mildly sore soon after receiving shot for the whole day and night, woke up in the middle of the night almost exactly 12 hours post-stab to the worst chills I’ve ever experienced. I went to bed in just underwear and I was shivering so bad I could barely drink a glass of water when I got up. The best cat in the entire world must have knew something was up when he saw me come out to get a bunch of extra blankets, because he hopped off the couch where he was sleeping all night and burrowed himself under my mountain of blankets and snuggled up to my chest :kimchi:

After laying there shivering for a couple hours I finally got a little sleep and then got up to take a hot bath with epsom salt and I’m feeling mostly better, just a dull headache that’s fading. My friend that got the same shot yesterday had the same experience but it seemed like it was worse for him, and he’s in a lot better shape than I am.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I also try not to use Amazon as much as possible even though I know it literally does not effect their business, but sometimes it’s just impossible to find stuff local that isn’t even really that much of an ask. For example, this past Christmas my mom had mentioned she wanted a giant rear end plastic cutting board, and I spent half a day driving across the city to local shops and couldn’t find anything bigger than like 12”x16” so I ordered a big rear end one off of Amazon and wrote off the day of wasted gas and time.

Then a month after Christmas my dad stopped by with the cutting board and asked if I could chop it in half with my table saw, so I would have been better off just buying her two normal sized cutting boards :fuckoff:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Pops Mgee posted:

Pfizer Phreaks and Moderna Gang are gonna replace Democrats and Republicans in the next election.

This means Johnson & Johnson Gang is gonna be the Libertarian Party, doesn’t it :(

T-Square
May 14, 2009

saintonan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luObViqTmqc&t=118s

Drone footage of the aftermath of the Newnan GA tornado last night. When I woke up this morning I heard about "debris fall" in and around Atlanta, and this is why.

I was e-mailing with an employee’s manager about an issue last night and he said “I’ll get back to you, likely not until tomorrow as we have a lot of tornadoes in the area tonight and early in the morning” and I started typing out something like “Oh yeah no worries we got a lot of crazy stuff flying around we gotta take care of too haha” before I remembered that crazy tornado map from a few days ago and realized he was talking about literal tornadoes. Whoops!

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Spoeank posted:

Have they tried attaching a rocket to the bow and a rocket to the stern and firing them in opposite directions

Giggling at the thought of a giant rear end container ship version of those whirlybird fireworks that spin really fast and zip straight up into the air, flinging shipping containers miles across Egypt.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Lol the piece of poo poo sex pest kid that got a Formula 1 seat thanks to his Russian oligarch dad basically buying the team, who basically everyone has been blowing up the team’s and Formula 1’s social media to get rid of, spent his first race weekend spinning out of practice sessions and qualifying and then made it literally 3 turns into the race before spinning himself straight into a wall and destroying the car :laugh:

I feel super bad for y’all with crazy parents. I struggle with my dad and sister’s terminal republicanism, but the worst I really get from them is endless whining about Libtards and thinly veiled racism and bitching about masks but reluctantly wearing them from my sister. My dad I can get along with and remain close with, but I keep my distance from my sister. My dad was the first to say “Those loving QAnon idiots need to go to prison” when the topic of a local pharmacist intentionally ruining a batch of vaccines came up and it almost brought a tear to my eye.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I have the free window replacement with Progressive and I have yet to get them to actually replace a window for free. The first time a mailbox murdered my driver side window when I slid into it in a snow storm and they said “collisions don’t count” and the second time a dump truck threw a rock at my windshield on the freeway and put a tiny chip at the bottom which immediately cracked across the entire windshield when I turned on my defroster the next morning. They said “chips and cracks larger than a quarter don’t count”

After actually reading the policy it’s basically only worth it for comprehensive coverage if you live in an area where people walk up to your car and throw bricks through your windows for fun or whatever.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Working from home food perks #2: got hungry earlier and it was still kinda breafkast time-ish so I fried an egg and two slices of pork belly I smoked over the weekend with some sweet chili sauce I made. A+ would do again.

Also five years ago I would have laughed at the idea of owning a VW, but now I love my TDI Sportwagen!

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I’ve never been to a Fridays and I imagine it’s about as mediocre as Applebee’s or Chili’s, but I want all of that on a table in front of me right now.

Luckily the only Friday’s nearby didn’t survive Covid and it looks like it’s going to be some kinda crab shack which I can’t wait to try.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

GD_American posted:

No the best place is/Culver's/whatever fast food joint a region has tied the entirety of their self-esteem and identity to

I will not stand for this slander.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Yeah a couple of my friends will be fully vaccinated after next week, I already am, but one of my friends that’s constantly moaning about how much he wants to see me (:3:) has been super luke warm on getting vaccinated. “Ooh maybe tomorrow I’ll find an appointment, oooh maybe this weekend idk” so I just keep texting him every day that I’m not hanging out until he gets his shot, simple as that. Someone mentioned to him something about like four people getting temporary Bells Palsy or some poo poo so I know there’s a lizard brain tick in the back of his brain that’s scared that is definitely going to happen to him:jerkbag:

T-Square fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 31, 2021

T-Square
May 14, 2009

This bar up north in Wisconsin has pickled gizzard in addition to the common giant jar of pickled eggs and one of our friends bought one to pass around and dare people to try. I took a tiny little Squidward taking a nibble of a Krabby Patty bite and almost vomited all over the bar.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

At my last job we had an assortment of bagels and cream cheeses to pick from every Friday. Even changing up what kinda bagel I made each week I got so loving sick of bagels every Friday for 5 years, I still hardly eat them.

Also one time the normal bagel orderer person was on vacation so they asked my co-worker to coordinate and she said “gently caress this I’m getting donuts” and like 50 people lost their loving minds over it.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Samadhi posted:

I fell down a rabbit hole and now I need to rewatch The Punisher series on Netflix.

I re-watched both seasons a month or so ago, I can’t hate the Netflix Marvel stuff.

Also just finished Godzilla VS Kong and was highly amused by it. But I’m pretty easily entertained by giant monsters trying to scream louder than the other and punch each other. Also, Alex Skatsgaard, what’s not to like?

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

just scheduled for my vaccine next wed. at the local waterpark (lol)
the rumor is they're doing J&J which is not exactly what I want but gently caress it anything's better than nothing and probably in another six months we'll just be doubling up or something who knows

Yeah, I got the J&J and I wasn’t super thrilled about it, but I didn’t find out it was that one until about 30 minutes before my appointment when a friend got his at the same place. Besides him, my fiancé, her parents, my parents, and like 95% of my friends that I normally hung out with pre-Covid all are fully or halfway vaccinated with either Moderna or Pfizer so I’m not too worried about it. Plus, I got lucky with that appointment and probably would be like late May until I could get an mRNA vaccine because I’m 30 with no pre-existing conditions or anything, so whatever I’ll take it.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Speaking of crappy children’s media, I tried the new Mighty Ducks show on Disney+ and don’t hate it, so my Friday nights have become dinner, The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, followed by Mighty Ducks and I’m totally okay with it.

Makes me wish I was more than passable at ice skating though, hockey looks like so much fun :smith:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I don’t even know who our valedictorian was. Besides like four people in my core group of friends that I was in high school with, I know nothing about anyone from high school.

Anyways, I sat out on the deck in a t-shirt for the first time this year with a beer and have a rack of ribs choochin’ away on the smoker. Gonna be gooooood.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Update: am now drunk, currently shellacking ribs with BBQ sauce. Strongly considering wrapping some shredded rib meat and jalapeño cilantro lime cole slaw in some leftover gyoza wrappers from a previous successful experiment and frying them and seeing what happens. Am definitely making a homemade McRib.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Just re-watched Godzilla 2014 and I gotta say, none of those monsters were the toughest in San Francisco that day, give your balls a tug titfucker.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Thaddius the Large posted:

Finding out Brendan Kelly runs that account was a delightful revelation for me

Also Arby’s PR people ambushed him at an airport with cute puppies when they found out he was behind it :3:

Also also I ran into him in Chicago after an Alkline Trio show at the Metro. This was also the night of the double doink playoff loss and he was in his dumb Bears vest he always wears. I said sorry for your loss and he got all mad lol. (A friend and I ran into him the previous night and we sheepishly introduced ourselves and asked for a picture and he’s a super nice dude!)

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I’ve got one of the picture windows under my front patio overhang open because it’s warm this morning, there’s a light spring rain, and the first thunderstorm of the year is lazily rumbling somewhere off in the distance :coffeepal:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Our old geriatric Greyhound has been acting more timid and anxious than usual, and has been scared to go outside lately. Last week she either barged through the fence gate or it blew open and she took off through the neighborhood three times which she’s never done before, and now every time I open the door to let her out she’ll run away to a different room. Now she’s pooped inside twice today which I’ve also never known her to do. I can’t tell if something happened to her in the backyard that she’s afraid of, or if she’s lost and confused and it’s time for the old rainbow bridge in the sky :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Square
May 14, 2009

When my Grandpa passed last summer I got his nice set of golf clubs because no one else wanted them and we were scarily similar in height and build. Luckily there’s two public city park golf courses within five minutes of me so I don’t need to join some bullshit country club, it’d be a shame to let his clubs collect dust.

Also ever since a friend sent me a snap of this curling club he services for work like three years ago I’ve always wanted to try that. Place is swanky and has like 100 beers on tap and a club house and there’s a handful of similar clubs around that offer public classes/sessions but they’ve all been booked immediately pre-Covid ever since the US won gold in curling :argh: