Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mellonbread posted:

So how do you handle military ranks/authority/chain of command in tabletop RPGs?

IME you roleplay a lot of insubordination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

dwarf74 posted:

New thread announcement - Dice Throne/Dice Throne Adventures!

It can be found here

Thank you!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

aldantefax posted:

Anybody playing any games recently? Just wrapped up another GURPS session and gonna run D&D tomorrow, then more GURPS on Friday. Hooray!

I’m running, somewhat poorly, a Fellowship campaign for my girlfriend and our respective daughters (10 and 13). Need to really work on the pacing, and my description of the ritual they interrupted last time was, while not graphic, apparently a little scarier than the 10yo wanted.

I’m still nervous through the whole sessions that I’m messing it up, but they keep asking to play, so I guess I’m doing well enough!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CompCon is not to be underestimated here, it’s truly a marvel.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Leperflesh posted:

This is the part that matters, actually. If the material is explicitly granting you permission to share, than that's cool and fine. I assumed that the author/publisher had retained full copyright.

As a matter of detail, granting a license under CC or most any other license still preserves the copyright as owned by the author/publisher/grantor. They do not lose any of their rights or control, and are in fact exercising that control in order to apply (and enforce) the license in question. A copyright assignment is a different sort of contract.

(I’m not a lawyer but I spent a lot of time in the license mines of CC and open source software.)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

slap me and kiss me posted:

Should be charging $45.

At least! It’s a LIFTS-grade gem.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Stone Thief?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CitizenKeen posted:

This sounds absolutely amazing. Can't wait to read this tonight.

Agreed, I am all over this.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Find a makerspace and make one out of metal so it makes a great noise when you slam it down.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Len posted:

These guys have the right idea, something large and obnoxious I can just slam on a table and give a glare to. I can accompany it with verbal words of knock your poo poo off if that doesn't get the initial point across but gently caress man.

My assumption would be that someone as — let’s be generous — clumsy as this guy wouldn’t know what it meant when you slammed it down, at least the first time. This means that you should prepare some catchphrase to bellow as well. “You go too far!”

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tell them to buy you the reusable sticker kits for Gloomhaven, problem solved.

Or just track progress in the unofficial(?) app, I guess.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

hyphz posted:

The tricky bit with the sunk cost effect is people who don’t seem to be enjoying an RPG nonetheless insisting that they want to continue playing it (specifically).

“seem” is doing a lot of work in that sentence, I think.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

HeartNotes3 posted:

Of interest: is there any solitaire-style RPG systems where you emulate your own dungeon crawl?

Ironsworn with Delve expansion?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Xiahou Dun posted:

It's miles from a perfect solution to your problems, but this specific instance seems like a great opportunity to talk to your group and say stuff like, "I'd really like to use ability X here, but I don't want to mess with our situation."

Yeah, someone might suggest using your media contacts to keep your run off the radar (“I’ll give you an exclusive when it’s over but there won’t be much to tell if it leaks now”) or put someone else on the radar as a distraction—or an actually good idea. Collaboration even for thinking up what a single given character does is part of good group role playing, I think.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Glimm posted:

Does anyone do print and play card games? I saw a friend of mine struggling to line cards up in easily printable ways so I made a tool that I hope will make this easier for her in the future.

It might be useful to other folks as well:
https://github.com/Chuntttttt/Cards

It's command-line only at the moment and might be easiest to run from source (though there is an exe available for download on the page, it is not code-signed).

Basically, it will take a folder of images (with subfolders for front/back) and line them up properly for creating a printable pdf with guidelines for cutting the cards out.

This is cool!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jimbozig posted:

I'm finally unclenching here because I just hit the launch button on my Kickstarter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1835460386/ariadne-and-bob

Backer #1! I am so into this.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Search results expire, don't they?

I do believe so!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If Luke Crane let you hack one of his games it would probably be under the condition that you only published it in physical hardcover.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Xiahou Dun posted:

The pan flute guy?

No, the fermented milk drink.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mellonbread posted:

What is a game that you think has "meaningful rules for investigating things"?

Gumshoe?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mellonbread posted:

Gumshoe replaces skill rolls with point spends, but the end result is still the same. "any opportunity or payoff for good recon" is still "up to the scenario writer's whims." Unless you're procedurally creating the investigation as you go, you're always going to be at the mercy of the module author or GM who wrote the mystery you're trying to solve.

I feel like that’s maybe unhelpfully reductive, a little, but it also doesn’t seem to contradict “has meaningful rules for investigation” as I read it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Don’t most acting schools require auditions? There’s a bootstrapping problem here!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

hyphz posted:

It bothers me a bit that character generators are much harder to code than they ought to be.

Could you elaborate on this? What makes them so hard to code, and why ought they be easier?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Xiahou Dun posted:

O my god it makes a ligature out of f and i into some unholy hell character.

What the gently caress is that font, it's almost fractally bad.

That’s a pretty common ligature form among even slightly-ornate fonts, I think.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m sorry, you’ve got that backwards

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

oh goodness

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I believe that the AI didn’t have any conversations, just modelled out the moves and won on that basis (which involves understanding the strategic significance of France having a fleet in the English Channel, etc.). I can’t find where I read that, though.

E: well apparently that is wrong!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, spine out for sure.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Arivia posted:

According to the Florida lan thread, chitoryu12 passed away recently. If I remember correctly he used to post here a fair amount, so I wanted to pass it along.

That’s terrible. He seemed like a really nice person and led some great shared experiences here. My condolences to his friends and family.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

UnCO3 posted:

For anyone who makes PbtA or FitD games or play materials or just likes little digital tools:

I just released an update to timeToPlay, my TTRPG clock font pack—3 new styles (bringing the total to 10) and a new HTML font guide.

got this to use at work for project completion markers!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m sorry, did you say

:eyepop:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Shadowrun 2e was made during the great boom in TTRPGs, and the amount of stuff they could put into as many pages they did shows it. Those books were so drat good.

Yeah I have been thinking about starting to collect the rest of the 2e set. I had such a good time playing it and being dumb, and our GM was so adamant that we not even talk about blood magic because it was FORBIDDEN.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

She must be cold in those outfits.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Do I look like the kind of guy who grind stats?

kinda?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

LatwPIAT posted:

After years of severe mental illness keeping me away, I managed to drag myself to the local tabletop board gaming club…

Congrats on that, at least!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Which lead to another debate of "why does my gun/cyberarm need to be wireless, when it worked just fine without it before"? "Because"

This seems realistic at least. Someone at Ares or Shiawase got a promotion because it let them roll out a whole new line, and they planned-obsolescence the old one by no longer selling parts for it. Later they will charge you megacred for a Faraday sleeve to effectively disable this innovation.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

whydirt posted:

You only need two stats: Jock and Nerd

Goth as prestige class.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

thetoughestbean posted:

The link doesn’t work anymore. Looks like they put the page up earlier than they intended to

I ordered it so I hope I get it!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

thetoughestbean posted:

I checked my order after I saw the page went down and it’s still valid. Make of that what you will

So far so good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

any game where you can die in chargen has a funnel, imo