Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I should post here more and not, like, once in a blue moon in the Age of Sigmar thread.

My Lancer group has agreed to check out Wicked Ones, which is Blades in the Dark meets Dungeon Keeper. It's going to be every other week as one of your players is unable to make those days and we don't want them to miss too many games, so a side thing that can go on whilst they're away seems good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Has anyone tried the Dungeon Keeper looking FitD that just came out recently? Wicked Ones, I think? Does it do anything mechanically particularly novel?

I've started it up with a group. Essentially it just takes what's in BitD and twists it to fit the Dungeon Keeper theme. You draw out your dungeon together with defined rooms, and the GM can throw adventurers into it as the forces of good respond to the actions the players take. I haven't done a side by side comparison of the two and I would need to get further in to say more.

I will say that drawing the dungeon together is pretty fun, especially if one of the players has access to some mapping tools to turn your scribbles into something that looks nice.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I'm GMing Wicked Ones at the moment with my Lancer group. We're only one session in so can't speak much to it being good - still learning the ropes on position and effect stuff. Drawing a dungeon is pretty fun and you start off more high-powered than regular Blades in terms of stats. I'm considering asking my group if we can run it for a while instead of Lancer.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

SkyeAuroline posted:

So I'm actually curious. How many of us are in ongoing (or imminent) games & what are they?
Personally in delay limbo for a switch from Eclipse Phase to CPRED, plus an Over the Edge game that's starting soon.

Running: Lancer and Wicked Ones.
Playing: Nothing ATM, there is a Masks game on hiatus and that's about it.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Jimmeeee posted:

What so you think of Wicked Ones? I picked it up but haven't gotten much of a chance to read through it yet.

I'm gonna run the first real session tomorrow, but I do have some very basic preliminary thoughts.

There's fewer stats and you get more dots to start with. This means you're always gonna be good at the thing your playbook is meant to be good at if you put them in the stat your character uses most. I think this isn't as scrappy as Blades is and a GM is going to have to ensure that the surrounding world pushes back hard, which is in theme since the players are meant to be actual monsters and Evil (although the game does take the time to go "hey maybe don't be too evil" and supply the usual tools eg Lines and Veils, X-Card etc).

The gameplay loop is a bit more detailed than Blades, with a more explicit three part Raid - Count Loot - Downtime loop with occasional interruptions and blowback from your actions. We'll be getting into the loop next session.

The hideout stuff has been blown up into a much more detailed dungeon system with five different dungeon types. There's a subsystem for ensuring your minions don't rebel and everything goes smoothly by following Dungeon Logic, which makes sure your dungeon behaves like how a dungeon in an rpg would work - you have to put weaker minions before stronger ones, you can't be mucking about doing work your underlings should be doing, and it's got to be expanding and have a good spooky atmosphere. It's fun to draw out the dungeon, even for people who don't normally draw. The adventurers that stumble in will follow an arbitrary path through the dungeon so the actual layout can matter a fair bit. We'll figure out how much it matters as we play.

The art is nice. It's kind of just chunky and sharp, like a diet version of Hellboy.

I should put this in - torture is mentioned and a torture chamber is one of the rooms available to all dungeons. Torture is prevalent in Dungeon Keeper and games like it, and so obviously it's ported over, but I have a pretty big distate for it no matter how "goofy" it's depicted as. In our group we've decided to just not depict it in any detail if we have to, but it's worth discussing in your group if you want to have this at all and what to do instead.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Wicked Ones update:

My party failed a calamity roll really hard, and an invasion of adventurers came into their dungeon! Adventurers are hardcore. They have moves controlled by GM Fiat, so if you need something like "busts down doors" then you just make it happen. They got fairly far in and murdered the Creature the party had set up. RIP Mildewsa, we hardly knew ya.

Complaint - the rulebook is ALL over the place. Stuff like dungeon defence is not in the loop of the game, or in its own section, but awkwardly in the dungeon creation section. Adventures and making them are in the GM section, but their behaviour in a dungeon is in dungeon defence! Dungeon projects and project tiers are part of the loop, but the exact mechanics of doing rituals (which are projects and not treated like spells) isn't referenced there - they're back in the section on crafting and spellcasting. There's a logic to the layout but it's very awkward, and at least the PDF has bookmarks for every type of roll you might make, which is fine.

Gonna get really into the raid and downtime loop text time, since the party are already sizing up raid targets. The spider-demon Brute has pissed off the big tribe of Satyrs, one of our players is a traitor elf who wants the city of Elves burnt down, they've already kidnapped some gnomes. They've definitely got plenty of enemies!

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I made a thread for Wicked Ones, because the old Blades thread seemed dead and hell I love the game so :justpost:

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Tulip posted:

This forum loving loves LANCER which probably makes it easier for some totally hypothetical DnD stan to say that SA is just made of angry hipsters who hate pop. Whatever, fine, sure.

Lancer is, like, fine? But it's newcomer on-boarding consists of poring through pages of setting detail whilst the people on discord repeatedly ask you to wait for the introductory module to be done, and I'm pretty sure a good 50% of the Harrison mechs are dogshit and exist to be looted for parts for better mechs.

At least as a GM the pain of making encounters is solely map design and not building or playing as enemies, since CompCon takes care of that work.

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 1, 2021

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

SkyeAuroline posted:

Is the "introductory module" still Wallflower, the module that breaks, like... half the setting concepts? It was interesting from a narrative standpoint but felt like a bad setting intro, and I think Miguel acknowledged that at some point. Module aside, I was a playtester and it was fun, but yeah, I don't have the mental energy for mapping and closely tracking every single encounter any more. Would definitely play it, got myself the hardcover for a reason, but tactical RPGs carry too much mental overhead from the GM side even with CC's aid.

I think Wallflower is getting a rewrite to not break that so much, although considering the amount of material that is basically floating in the ether at this point I have no loving clue. The shine is wearing off a bit as the campaign goes on and design assumptions are starting to grate on the group a bit. We switched to Wicked Ones for a while for a break and now I'm trying to play a lot more loosely and not stress about prep so much.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Maybe they should just write the setting good, since they're the ones getting paid to write it.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

hyphz posted:

I think this is more or less standard. It's what makes me wonder if anyone actually enjoys RPGs.

It's just you.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
RPG where it's like Gamma World but you randomly generate which halves you are. Half elf half kobold.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
People seem to enjoy the comics he writes, but all I remember is that very bad review of Darwinia he wrote back in 2005.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Godzilla? Feels like something someone would look at, although my impressions of the higher ups at Toei are that they are even more prehistoric than the big scaly guy himself so maybe it's not that surprising.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Asterite34 posted:

How would this work? Would you play as a giant monster? Or would you be one of the human characters who engage with the often-crazy human scale plot while a monster attack happens in the background? Like you're a scientist trying to stop Atlanteans stealing your robot schematic, or a PI busting up a diamond smuggling ring, or a journalist protecting a foreign dignitary/psychic Martian from assassins or whatever, and occasionally you have to dodge some falling building rubble?

So I have two thoughts:

1) Players are a group of people accomplishing an objective during or because of a monster attack. Basically all of your suggestions there, or maybe you're part of the task force trying to deal with Godzilla et al and y'all get to ride that sweet flying submarine or pilot a prototype Mechagodzilla or something.

2) You play as monsters but it's the very goofy showa era movies so it's mostly about being goofy and doing weird wire fu and "talking" to each other. This would probably be something very light on the level of Lasers and Feelings or All Out Of Bubblegum and is probably not the option an official RPG would go for :v:

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Wow that Tuxedo Catfish meltdown is hilarious.

More like Tuxedo Bladefish

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
For a clown, at the circus.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Antivehicular posted:

So, anyone played anything fun this week?

I ran a game of Eidolon where the players were trying to rob Disney World of Walt Disney's last and most prized possession. They fought some pink elephants and ended up in cartoon world by riding Steamboat Willie. They met Goofy. It ruled.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Nessus posted:

Worse, people had to go back to a text-based internet!

"Create an ASCII art version of the parrot without accidentally killing myself" challenge: failed

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

tcg players ftw

This owns, it's just a yu gi oh match irl

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Yakko, Wakko, Dot, Pinky, Brain

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Seems jawsome to me! :v:

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

lol what is happening itt. trad games goons see breast and its loving over

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Moonbase Alpha rpg or nothing, NASA. :colbert:

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
e: nm

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Mar 14, 2024

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

hyphz posted:

That’s because orcs and trolls are “metatypes”, not races.

Hey hyphz, quick question, what do you mean by this

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Because I sure hope you don't mean "it's okay to describe these fictional races as culturally or genetically stupider because we used a different word instead of race" and I'm missing some facetiousness in your text or something

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
My apologies, I retract my statement

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Kestral posted:

Is it your position that all fictional creatures must be exactly as intelligent as one another, and anything else is a moral failing on someone's part?

No and I don't know how you got that from my post but considering your other posts on this topic im not exactly interested in engaging with whatever take you have about orcs having -2 to int or whatever because it probably sucks rear end

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Bizzare, even!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Runa posted:

Shadowrun is set ostensibly in the real world awakened to magic and there are "races" as we know them and there are "metatypes," as in types of metahuman, which map to classic fantasy races. So it is possible to be a Latina elf, a white orc, a black dwarf, an Asian troll, etc. This is because in Shadowrun's world, people were already categorized into these groups before magic reemerged and changed large swathes of them into different forms.

Though it is also quite possible to have people in D&D whose features map to these combinations, if you play Baldur's Gate 3 for example the real world genetic clades that get mapped to "races" in real life aren't identified as such because presumably Faerun lacks the context that would create such distinctions, and instead uses "race" to refer to what Shadowrun would call metatype.

Runa posted:

This pretty much just comes down to, have you ever played Shadowrun before.

I've never actually played Shadowrun on tabletop but I've played a ton of the videogames across different generations and I've read Ice Phisherman's Blake Island CYOA/web serial on these forums. It's a good read, though I fell off after he said some things that weirded me out during the height of the pandemic. Stuff has calmed down now but things cannot really be the same after that.

I am vaguely aware of shadowrun but only as "d&d but crudely mushed into cyberpunk" so that explaination actually helps, thank you. The only attempt I ever made was attempting to made some street samurai orc lady for a game that never got off the ground (this was over ten years ago now) so I did not remember any of these details and I wasn't inclined to give hyphz the benefit of the doubt which is why I jumped down their throat like an rear end in a top hat.