Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Are you guys done fighting about politics in the place I go to escape from politics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

josh04 posted:

No, there's currently one set of X-Men but they're running a pseudo-ethnostate from a sentient island/dimension. It's pretty good!

Who are they? So is there no Astonishing X-Men or Uncanny or BLue and GOld teams now? What happened to X-Force and X-factor?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I grew up on the X-Men side of the Marvel World with a very basic knowledge of the Avengers, and a few others but I'd never heard of the Eternals before.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Everyone posted:

Honestly, no. I remember occasionally tuning in to other shows like Suits where Rick Hoffman's Louis Litt would say "A Lannister pays his debts."

Hell, talking Battlestar Galactica I remember "Frak" showing up on Veronica Mars.

Even when it making assloads of money I don't remember Avatar making any real impact on the popular culture at the time. No quotes from the movie. "Unobtanium" wasn't a thing anywhere. Girls weren't wearing super-high heels and painting their skin blue. Yeah, a lot of people spent a lot of money to watch that movie, but it was only ever just a movie as I recall it.

Lost and BSG were genuine cultural phenomenons at the time. Their influence faded after they went off the air, sure. That said, I don't think I've seen as fast a turnaround on something as what happened with Game of Thrones where it seemed like it was everywhere and then it just completely disappeared.

Dexter after Season 4.

I just watched Avatar with my son a few weeks ago - why do people hate it now?

Pillowpants fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 4, 2021

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Not only was the first season spinning its wheels for the loooooongest time but the schedule was hosed up so quite often there were weeks-long gaps between episodes - it was okay up until November then there was one episode in December, two in January, one in March, and then from April onwards it went back to weekly - which made it an even more excruciating slog

Wasn't that because it was trying to show continuity with the MCU?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

It would have been a fun comparison. MCU built a whole franchise and allowed c-listers to shine. But a lot of that is built on undoing the work characters do in their solos.

From watch ZSJL, and reading the drafts of JL2 and 3, the story would have serviced the characters very well and would have given them a fair bit of characterization and growth that would have felt realized and earned.

Yeah, but now to actually get into the MCU and start, you need to be willing to watch something like 2 or 300 hundred hours of movies and TV shows.

24 movies in 3 phases, plus the Bana Hulk, 5 Tobey and Garfield Spidermans, 13 X-Men movies, 2 Fantastic Four movies, Agents of Shield, 4 netflix shows, 3 disney plus shows. I can't believe we've spent so much time watching this poo poo.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Whats everyone general thoughts on X-Men movies?

Logan
Deadpool
Days of Future Past
X2
Deadpool 2
First Class
X1
X Men: Origins Wolverine
The Wolverine
New Mutants
Apocalypse
Dark Phoenix
X3

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I loving hated Xmen when it first came out….I wanted the original xmen drat it. I’ve had to rewatch most of these movies with my son recently…

They nailed the casting with X1 but putting Rogue in the role Jubilee should have been in ruined it for me. I’m bothered that they made Colossus and Iceman young students given how much they’ve actually done.

X3 could have been two separate Movies. I loved First class and DOFP.

Apocalypse had potential but failed and served as nothing more than a set up to another failed Dark Phoenix.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Weird way to spell Kitty Pryde.

She was already in these movies? Wasn't she jealous of Sookie and Icemans relationship?

Pillowpants fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jul 6, 2021

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Gatts posted:

They're probably going to make some introductions and pull from the multiverse.

Also, Loki isn't over yet.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I liked TSS. It kept me engaged, but i am left with a frustration at the big bad

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Shang Chi is easily top tier MCU. I thought they we’re going to do something with Awkwafinas grandfather being dead in relation to the ten rings, but I’m glad they didn’t.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Wasn’t part of all of the iron man plots that he sleeps with lots of women until settling on pepper?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Timeless Appeal posted:

To be fair, Rob is the same boat as Ledger where he proved he was a good actor a long time ago and grown men are being ridiculous and vaguely sexist that guys from girly things are in their boy thing.

To be fair - I've only ever seen him in Twilight, Harry Potter and Remember Me which I didn't enjoy. I mean, he was young in HP and Twilight ruined my favorite type of movies for me - and I only knew him as the dude from Twilight when i saw RM.

I want to say that, if hes a good actor, my memory of him is playing alongside Kristen Stewart who might as well be a robot.

I'm going to watch Spencer soon because I hear she is good in it, but what do you recommend i watch of his?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Timeless Appeal posted:

Good Time and The Lighthouse are definitely the big standouts, but I think everything post-Twilight I've seen him in is good.

Stewart's also good in Happiest Season, Lizzie, and Personal Shopper.

Now I am ashamed of myself and as a result - I will watch all five of these movies soon.

Hopefully seeing Pattinson in something hes good in will make me more excited for Batman

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
All of the casual fans I know liked the Eternals and all of the comic fans I know hate it

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I rented a whole loving theater for my sons birthday on Saturday to watch this.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Mat Cauthon posted:

In 95 there's no way Arnie doesn't play Thor but yeah otherwise this tracks.

Did people care who NPH was back then? Seems like he wouldn't have really been taken seriously enough yet, you probably end up with someone like Will Smith as Spidey.

In 95, Eddie Furlong would Spidernan and rocket would be voiced by Jim Carrey.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
The Eternals was…fine.

I’d put it in Bottom Tier MCU but that’s still entertaining to me.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Batman Begins is one of my favorite Superhero movies - but TDK is one of my favorite movies ever made.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Zero One posted:

Maybe Loki too.

I wouldn't be surprised if the movie had Strange blaming himself for loving up the Multiverse in No Way Home but then he's brought to Xavier who tells him "No your little spell didn't do anything crazy. The Multiverse was broken by this other person... maybe you've heard of Loki?"

Or just watch this 40 minute recap of the whole MCU
https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/581318/marvel-cinematic-universe-movies-recap

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Disposable Scud posted:

I remember reading somewhere that Stewart took Professor X because he didn't want to be remembered as Picard for the rest of his career. Who knows if thats true though.

So is that why he has a new Star Trek show?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
As much as I hated the first X-Men, they casted a lot of people almost perfectly.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Timeless Appeal posted:

I like the game of telephone that has kind of gone with Wolverine, particularly with Jean Grey over the years. Claremont X-men has Jean call him a huge piece of poo poo who she would never gently caress in a million years right before she's literally about to kill herself to save the world. Then Wolverine's thing for Jean gets adapted into stuff like the 90s X-men show where it's unrequited love, but Jean doesn't literally hate him. And then by the time the movie exists, Scott is more or less just stuffy alsoran in a romantic comedy.

If they readapt X-men I would like Jean to return to a very clear, "I am never going to gently caress you" stance.

And do a better job with cyclops because his emo bullshit was unwatchable

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Wolverine: https://youtu.be/36kIJawgj-I

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
It’s been a while since I read comics but wasn’t the Weapon X program based in Canada?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I’ve decided that Mads Mikkelson should be wolverine.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Will Smith as Cyclops, Chris Rock as Wolverine.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Yeah, I forgot.

Apparently, it was another assault charge on a different person at their house.

Edit:

This is apparently the 10th time the police have been called on them in Hawaii IN THE LAST MONTH, but only their second arrest.

In 40 days, Miller managed to have the cops called on him 8 more times than I have in 40 years.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Jedit posted:

Ironically, Plastic Man is a hero who wouldn't work at all in Lego.

Clearly you haven’t seen the Lego flash movie.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

garycoleisgod posted:

There is something to be said about the fact that most Batman movies of recent times have had to struggle with the fact that Batman is popular and "cool", but he's also a billionaire who fights crime by just beating the poo poo out of people and everyone kinda knows deep down that won't help and will actually make things worse.

The Nolan films ended with him basically growing up and abandoning cape and cowl, Snyder Batman was a straight up villain until he found Jesus Superman and turned his life around. The planned future films even ended with him finally giving his life and Clarks/Lois's kid taking up the Batmantle.

Even the Lego Batman film was about him learning to be less of a dickhead.

So Reeves/Pattinson Batman being a massive tool who makes things worse isn't really new, it's just them coping with the fact that if you deal with Batman with any sort of seriousness, you realize he's horrible. You either make him the villain, or you find a way to redeem him, but him being Batman kinda needs him to continue to beat the poo poo out of poor people. They haven't gotten (and may never) get to the stage where Bats is actually a force for egalitarian justice.

Basically, if Batman were a true hero his first target would be Bruce Wayne and everyone like him, but that presents a pretty big problem. Riddler had the right idea, but he got the Bane/Killmonger treatment of "yeah, he's right, but's he just too angry/insane/insincere!", but then never presents any other solution except more of the same but a bit nicer and with a smile?

An easy fix for a future Batman movie would be for him to give all his money away or make his company employee owned or something and then beat the poo poo out of someone like Lex Luthor. A Batman who doesn't have oodles of cash for his gear and has to piece together scraps would also be more exciting imo.

So, you want to make Batman better by turning him into Green Arrow?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Wait Family Guy is still on?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
The Flash TV show sucks because the cast became too bloated and it’s gone on too long - but Grant G was awesome as the flash

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Aren’t all of the Netflix shows basically about helping regular people?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
If Thanos had just read some comic books, maybe he would have looked for the terribly named “mother boxes” instead. Clearly he didn’t do his due diligence.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, I always go back to the old Michael Caine adage (no not the Jaws one). Paraphrasing because it's been years since I saw it, but it's something like, "Anytime an actor says that they passed on a role because it wasn't quite right, they're lying. They probably mean the money wasn't right. This is a job, like any other. You take the roles that give you the right money."

I mean there are actors that won’t make stupid movies for the right money though.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Grendels Dad posted:

Name one.

No cheating, it doesn't count if they make stupid movies for no moeny.

Daniel Day Lewis, Tom Hanks. Gene Hackman, Christian Bale.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Now - I’m a pretty big MCU fan and this made me laugh a lot, but… I left feeling empty. I can’t put it into words as to why though

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

A lot of people can’t go to the theater because of Covid. I’d call theaters a sacred space but wouldn’t mind if they did a day of home release too for the people that can’t go

ICYMI, the new variants are basically a reset to March 2020 except no one cares to stop the death and maiming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I prefer going to movies in theaters because my kids actually stop talking for it. At home, all they do is ask question and I miss half the movie.