Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Eternals looks decent but not every shot needs to be underlit jfc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

grieving for Gandalf posted:

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20211024-three-stars-for-chlo-zhaos-disappointing-eternals

I get the feeling the mad Marvel fans aren't going to love the reviews this movie gets

it's currently on track to have the lowest RT score in the franchise since Thor: TDW, if not the lowest overall. oof.

having said that, I get the feeling that if Eternals underperforms, Marvel's likeliest takeaway will be that they gave Zhao too much creative control on the project and that they need to rein in directors (even) further, so I think the box office here is a no-win situation for people who don't care much for the MCU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

I still like the MCU overall (though definitely not as enthusiastically as I did a few years ago), but I've gotten to the point where I find MCU haters more sympathetic than devoted MCU fans simply because the latter has proven so unable to deal with criticism despite the franchise dominating culture to a greater degree than any film franchise to date has managed. sorest winners in the history of pop culture, I swear

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I am glad they tried something new-ish (for them) even if the results are apparently not great.

same, even many of the negative reviews still make me want to see it for the ambition, even if its reach significantly exceeds its grasp

that said, a lot of the reviews also fault it for ultimately not being ambitious enough, namely in that it sticks too closely to the rest of the franchise in its tone and narrative tropes

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 27, 2021

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

see Eternals ten times for the ten Eternals. See it once for Ajak and once for Sersi and once for Kingo and once for Druig and once for Sprite and once for Gilgamesh and once for Phastos and once for Thena and once for Ikaris and once for Makkari

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

having a slow morning at work so I slapped this together

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

I get the impression that Eternals probably should have been a Disney+ series instead of a movie. likely wouldn't have solved every problem the film seems to have, but one thing a lot of the reviews agree on is that even at two and a half hours, it's still trying to introduce too many characters and deliver too much backstory for a feature-length running time, and giving those more breathing room wouldn't have hurt.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

news flash, kingo

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

saw Eternals a bit earlier tonight. I enjoyed it overall, but I can definitely see where the more negative reviews are coming from; it’s just trying to do too much in terms of character introductions, backstory, and mythology for its running time, and its more ambitious aspects are at odds with its frequently retreating into franchise tropes (i.e. underlit fight scenes against hordes of CG cannon fodder, quips that interrupt key narrative beats). also, a few of the ensemble, Madden and Keoghan in particular, are not exactly doing their best work here

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

teagone posted:

Is there a 4 hour Zhao cut.

I’d watch it if such a thing existed, but while Eternals is trying to do too much for its runtime, it doesn’t feel like it was drastically cut down in post-production from a much longer original version, either.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

garycoleisgod posted:

Haven't seen Eternals yet but my reading of the basic synopsis is that it seems to be more natural that the Deviants are oppressed good guys and the Eternals and the Celestials are the bad guys keeping them down.

The film kinda gestures in that direction but doesn’t really follow through with it, unfortunately

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Alan Smithee posted:

I got a Ultron feel from the Deviant and it was poorly written then too

it really has no idea what it wants to do with the Deviants beyond the level of "well, they were a big part of the source material and we need something for the heroes to fight in the first two acts." if the film was attempting to subvert depicting the Deviants as mindless beasts for the first 90 minutes or so by having one of them become sentient, that development should have some actual narrative and thematic weight attached, especially given what the actual central conflict of the film turns out to be. but instead Kro becomes just another underwritten and largely extraneous secondary antagonist

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Nov 5, 2021

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

sean10mm posted:

This just sounds like a hacky version of Captain Marvel's plot, which itself was just sort of there.

nah, Captain Marvel was not one of the MCU's better films IMO, but at least the plot actually followed through on the idea that the "evil" alien race were really the victims. Eternals just pays lip service to that idea in a few lines and doesn't really do anything with it, which is baffling given that it would fit quite well into the overall plot of the Eternals' purpose being a lie and the Celestials being the actual bad guys

Simulation883 posted:

I was hoping they could start to try and work with the Deviants considering. Upon further consideration it would have been cool if they could combine their powers and achieve the Unimind through the sentient Deviant as he already absorbed two of them. Just have him figure out a way to use his whips to channel them all without killing them.

agreed, the third act should have done something like this imo

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

I know that reading a Wikipedia plot synopsis can have this kind of effect but goddamn does Eternals sound like a series of plot points with no actual story.

I don’t know how they fit all that into the runtime. I bet nothing feels like it has room to breathe.

IMO it works better in the execution than how it sounds on paper, but not that much better. still should have been a Disney+ series instead if the budget had allowed for it

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Robot Style posted:

It happens across the genre, so it's not just a Marvel thing. Stormtroopers, Parademons, Chitauri - they all fill the Faceless Mook role that allows the Superheroes to have cool fights without worrying too much about the morality of the violence they're dishing out.

this is true but given what the actual primary conflict of Eternals turns out to be, it's particularly strange and thematically confused that the takeaway ends up being "yeah, the Celestials want to commit planetary genocide and lied to us about everything, but they were still right about about the Deviants being evil and we still need to kill them anyway"

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Gavok posted:

I don't see anything wrong with it. In the end, the Celestials still lied about the Deviants. They're out-of-control predators, but they're not random pieces of evil that fell from the stars. They're a failed experiment that needs to be swept under the rug and by fudging the story, the Celestials make themselves look infallible to the Eternals. And in the end, the Eternals are also failed experiments, but in the opposite way.

if that was meant to be the takeaway, they should have just stuck with the Deviants as mindless CG monsters and not made a plot point of one of them becoming sapient and getting a voice and personality. as is, Kro just complicates the plot a bit without meaningfully informing the primary conflict and themes of the third act

Flesh Forge posted:

I don't mean this, I mean the thing where the story goes out of its way to show the bad guy races as very sympathetic in a lot of ways (Killmonger, the Flag Smashers, and now these guys) are specifically NOT the brainless not-orcs screaming AAAAAAAAAAAA, they're morally equivalent to the supposed heroes, who just exterminate them anyway.

I do think maybe they were trying to go for the Killmonger-esque "has a legitimate grievance but his methods are bad" type of villain with Kro, which is a problematic trope but would still be an improvement in this case, but as is, he's too underdeveloped to work even on that level.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 5, 2021

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

setting aside spoiler discussion, does anyone remember those tweets from supposed Marvel Studios insiders earlier this year that went something like "Zhao has knocked it out of the park, everyone is in awe of what she produced, Marvel Studios has another Best Picture nominee on its hands?"

obviously, that didn't end up being the critical consensus, but it sure wouldn't surprise me if that were what Feige et al. believed and were saying internally about the dailies and rough cuts

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Eternals got a B audience grade from CinemaScore, which is actually quite bad for a superhero movie, especially from Marvel Studios (previous Bs include Green Lantern and BvS). Oh dear.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Rarity posted:

This is a godawful take cause the action is the worst part of the movie

I actually liked parts of the opening and the climax. The Amazon sequence was just dull underlit boilerplate MCU CG poo poo, though.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

I will say that, for all of Eternals' flaws, more things about it have stuck with me a few days after watching it than was the case for Black Widow, or Shang-Chi, or any of the Disney+ series thus far besides WandaVision (which itself was pretty flawed, but I digress). That counts for something, at least.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Gargamel Gibson posted:

High praise indeed.

the highest!

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Black Adam, The Flash, and Aquaman 2 delayed, Shazam! 2 moved up

https://twitter.com/ERCboxoffice/status/1501657313924452352
https://twitter.com/THR/status/1501666826027249667

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

this is probably the most detailed and disturbing report yet on Ezra Miller, jeez

https://twitter.com/DanaSchusterNYC/status/1555151127909376002

I imagine WB is hoping (praying) for an Ansel Elgort/West Side Story situation where the allegations have faded from the headlines by the time The Flash is released, but that seems increasingly unlikely

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

we did it, team!

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Eternals isn't nearly as bad as its Rotten Tomatoes score would suggest, but it manages to feel both too ambitious and not ambitious enough at the same time; there are just too many characters introduced and too much backstory for a single film to tackle them satisfyingly, and Zhao's more interesting attempts to deviate from the Marvel Studios house style seldom feel like they go far enough.

if it had to be a movie instead of a Disney+ series, it should have taken the Cloud Atlas approach of continuously cross-cutting between different time periods, but Disney would never have greenlit that

officially announcing this the same day as WBD's second-quarter results is probably not a coincidence. it's also ironic, given that Zaslav would almost certainly never have greenlit Joker in the first place, as he apparently thinks every DC film should be a $200m spectacle

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 4, 2022

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

The show is very likely dead and I’ve thought so well before this week (two of the leads were cast over a year ago and there’s been almost no news since), but this source isn’t particularly credible afaik

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

The past decade of DC films could roughly be summed up as: WB makes series of bad choices 2012-14 in reaction to Marvel Studios’ success, responds to the results of said bad choices by overcorrecting, responds to the results of the bad choices that came out of the overcorrection to the original bad choices by overcorrecting… and so on.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Timeless Appeal posted:

FUN FACT: This version of the DC Universe with this sense of legacy and mantles being passed down was mostly destroyed by Geoff Johns.

Hal Jordan aside, my understanding was that that was more on DiDio, especially the complete removal of legacy (outside Green Lantern and Batman) from the New 52

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

There really isn't a similar situation. This is new territory for Hollywood, and could set a precedent for how things are handled in the future, for better or worse. The closest two are the Kevin Spacey movie that you mentioned, All the Money in the World, where they were either done filming, or almost done filming and digitally replaced Spacey with Christopher Plummer, and I guess the Zack Snyder Vegas zombie movie, Army of the Dead, where they (loving seamlessly) replaced Chris D'Elia with Tig Notaro. But those aren't really the same, because the replaced actors weren't really the lead in either movie (Plummer might have been top billed, but that's more because he's Christopher god drat Plummer. He was not the main star of the movie), and this is a movie called The Flash. I imagine it would be a much bigger deal to replace the lead in a super hero movie, both in regards to time/effort, and potentially in contracts. Also, it's a much bigger event movie than either of those.

I agree that I think WB's big game plan here is to push hard on releasing the movie and then ignore Miller moving forward. It's not the best plan, morally, and may in fact be a terrible plan, but it may also be the only plan they have, barring scrapping the entire movie and eating $200 million.

yeah, there really isn't any obvious precedent for this situation. There have of course been big-budget or high-profile movies starring scandal-plagued actors before (besides the examples you mention, we recently got Armie Hammer in Death on the Nile and Ansel Elgort in West Side Story), but not one that cost $200-300 million and where the actor has faced a steady drip-drip-drip of extremely bad headlines for months and where the actor plays the title character and is in almost every scene.

according to the Variety article the other day, WB's gambit here is to proceed with the film's release, minimize Miller's name in the marketing, and hope that people will see it for the DC IP and supporting cast like Keaton, and that Miller isn't a high-profile enough name for most of the audience to be familiar with the allegations. I guess we'll see if that ends up working for them

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 10, 2022

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

are we all tired of Miller reporting yet? No?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/the-flash-fate-ezra-miller-problem-worsens-warners-1235196919/

quote:

A source with knowledge of the situation says the studio appears to be preparing for three possible scenarios.

First, Warners has received indications that the 29-year-old Miller, whose mother has accompanied the actor in recent days, will seek professional help after returning home to their farm in Vermont after being away. If that help happens, Miller, who goes by they/them pronouns, could give an interview at some point explaining their erratic behavior over the past few years. The actor could then do limited press for The Flash, and the movie would open in cinemas as planned.

The second scenario: Even if Miller doesn’t reach out for help, Warners could still release the film. But don’t expect Miller to play a prominent role in terms of marketing and publicity. Nor would Miller be The Flash going forward, as the role would be recast in future projects.

The third case: Things go from bad to worse, with the situation with Miller deteriorating. This would see Warners killing the movie outright, as it could not be reshot with a different actor. Miller plays multiple characters and is in almost every scene. Scrapping a $200 million film would be an unprecedented move.

My big takeaway here is that scrapping the film entirely is now unofficially on the table, something I'm pretty sure WB sources have consistently denied in reporting on the Miller clusterfuck until now.

Granted, most of us probably knew that was a possibility if the Miller situation continued to deteriorate, but that they're now willing to say so to industry reporters, even off the record, is a fairly notable shift.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

bushisms.txt posted:

Batgirl was created just to say that they weren't racist in the wake of Ray fishers accusations, let it burn and start over.

pretty sure it had a lot more to do with Jason Kilar wanting high-profile, big-budget content for HBO Max, actually

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty sure tax writeoff status like Batgirl is totally irreversible.

I'd assume they could, in theory, reverse it if they paid back the tax writeoff, but that would entail a huge media conglomerate voluntarily paying more in taxes, so I'm not gonna hold my breath

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 11, 2022

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

Reshoots to remove Keaton from Aquaman 2 and put in Affleck suggest otherwise. I’m not holding my breath for Snyder’s Justice League 2 and 3, but it is very clear that the folks at WBD actually do like Snyder’s version.

the rumor is that this has nothing to do with WBD preferring Snyder's version, but is instead to fix a continuity issue created by Aquaman releasing before The Flash (it was originally supposed to be the other way around)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

A continuity issue caused by the old regime's dumbass decision to make an 80 year old man the main Batman.

I have to agree that making Keaton the main Batman in the DCEU going forward never made much sense to me for the obvious reasons, and I doubt the current WB regime will stick to that plan.

bushisms.txt posted:

Nah, and again, you're talking about the company that made up a whole rear end Frosty the snowman movie to cover the same issue. The same company was going to do Blue beetle but only make it a TV show until people were like why are you going to make the first Latino cape a TV show and then they bumped it up to movie status.

Blue Beetle was supposed to be an HBO Max original movie like Batgirl, not a series