Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

mechaet posted:

I vividly remember this tree crushing my server.

The free marketplace of treedeas had it's way with your CPUs.

SynthesisAlpha posted:

I like the idea that you're just loving your way through the whole twilight forest. Eventually you can get a vis discount from robes, goggles, etc. but you have to piggyback wands to get better ones.

Did you expect anything less from GT:NH?

Never expect anything less from the gurg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Minecraft Modding is undergoing the same kind of painful paradigm shift it did from 1.0 jarmods to 1.2.5's entire 'thing'. Difference is we don't know what wins and instead of taking 6 months is still going after 3 years.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

I should steal the source somehow and get a second minecraft lawsuit

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Clairetic posted:

i can kinda answer this. it's mostly not because of Forge at all.

1) Vanilla has started moving towards a system that requires intensive generic CODEC interfaces to anything that gets serialized. It's very convenient to use (on the code side) once you get the hang of it, but so far they've only implemented JSON and NBT formats.
2) Vanilla ships Gson now, and it's also really convenient to use, so you can just use that and not have to include another parsing/config library.
3) Vanilla also automatically generates most of the json from code anyway, and tools like BlockBench export directly to json, so you don't have to edit it by hand most of the time anyway.

There are some tools like http://commandcreator.com/Craft/ to generate json blobs for datapacks that can help make it a little less painful for stuff that's reflected in data packs.

For the rest... sorry :(

idk about this client/server/world crap tho, i haven't gotten there yet

That makes more sense as to why all the defaultconfigs looked eerily similar. Doesnt explain why some config options were only generated in world specific sets, though id pin that to it being new more than anything.

Having tiered overwrite levels of configs has its uses if done right, allowing changes to configs from ingame that can then be saved to specific worlds without overwriting your baselines.

I can see lots of applications for scripted packs or servers, less so for sp fuckarounds.

Also good to see you again C

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Black Pants posted:

Problem is that for a server the serverconfigs are going to be.. on the server, which could be set freely by the server owner anyway. The defaultconfigs is basically there for singleplayer fallback, because a single player world with mods that use serverconfigs needs them per-world, thus necessitating the defaultconfigs to populate that.

Instead, you could make the argument for individual worldgen changes per singleplayer save, but again, why?

The mod hot swapping stuff claire mentioned forge is trying for might make it server worthy, specifically.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

dragonshardz posted:

It happened because capitalism, and the other option would be like...Technic, which the main modloader devs don't like because grr, argh, goons.

Gotta get those adfly pennies.

It'd be nice if Nexus had Minecraft mod hosting. At least they don't suck.

Constructive Critisicm

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Clairetic posted:

What really? That sucks. I thought StealthArcher managed to get it back up and running after the momentum petered out.

I mean, i made like 5 more Plus i/OMPi servers over the years following.

As for the other part, i no longer possess anything from then, but as a lawyer would say, someone filed something to notify someone else. The court then threw this out and nothing ever happened.

Allegedly.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Sounds great in mp.

Totally a licensed chef.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I remember finding out so many kids were playing Baby's First Space Race and I had to quickly audit all the quests to make sure I wasn't cursing like a sailor.

Regarding boozing it up, what if you just consumed whatever and it hit you when you went to sleep? Like a dream or something.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

A very difficult decision.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Just wait till the cave update and doubled map heights.

Also paging rootinmex to talk about running 1.2.5 on a full mod suite on a single gig.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

LF lives

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Make sure cheats enabled on world creation, then put "/gamerule mobGriefing false" in your chat

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

I mean theres a reason that in spite of enjoying a good Bobangels run inFactorio, I cannot get into GurgTechNH and have basically givenup playing on our server of it.

Just loving absurb levels of bs invjuggling.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

queeb posted:

I do like that when i smash 2 entire ingots gother to make a plate, and then cut it with wire cutters i get 1 wire... like.. just one? from 2 entire ingots?

Gurg

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Also packmakers need to just loving admit minecrafts literally unchanged since 2009 inventory and crafting methods are old and clunky as poo poo. The sheer amount of inventory juggling involved with even the less megatedium packs is loving absurd. Just give people early RS/AE2 and move on.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

DawnOfMinstrel posted:

The amount of items in modded is definitely straining that limit, but can the same be said regarding vanilla?

Legitimate question. I agree that we need higher stack sizes, I loved that Heavens of Sorcery mod.

As mentiomed by myself and followed by vib, the current inventory and chest sizes and functions are unchanged since InDev, pre alpha or beta, in 2009. A total of 127 possible anything existed at this point, many unobtainable. A series of quick googles for discussions of 1.16s total gives counts of 950-1000 obtainable items and blocks.

Minecraft has needed to change its poo poo on that front for a while, but 1.7.10 was the last point vanilla could really even ignore it easily.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

Oh yeah, where the best mode of progression was to just fill the table with sticks.

Ah, the Quaetorium.

Still miss the old days of having fluxstacks pumping magismog though.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

The Redpower curse continues to this day

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Yeah this honestly sounds like the solution is dont play Gurg mode

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

President Ark posted:

saw this modpack on reddit, looks neat - supposedly a newer take on E2E/sevtech: https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/decursio-project

Had me at sevtech lost me at "like E2E"

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

And this is why I like Mekanism, because I can just tell my digital miner to go and find me
pre:
*ores/netherite_scrap*
and hit 32 radius zones until I have what I'm after. :v:

The amount of packs that throw hilarious passive aggressive tantrums at the fact they want mekanism in their pack, but that the digiminer exists is hilarious, also the digiminer is the best thing.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

And given that it was compatible through the totality of it's release, the 1.7.x mod ecosystem will be 9 this December.

Remember back then, when we all thought 1.2.5's year and change was an aspirational ecosystem lifespan?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

dragonshardz posted:

MultiMC isn't being developed anymore, I don't think. PolyMC is a successor fork.

Personally i like GDLauncher best because it does the thing, does it well, and doesn't look like software from two decades ago.

The grey aesthetic is charming you GD sycophant!

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

dragonshardz posted:

lmao no

use gdlauncher and just buy the frickin' game

I'm sure Microsoft needed this desperate pleading defense.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

tokin opposition posted:

I have distinct memories of having multiplayer be new and still think of the nether as a new feature so figure it out for me. I think I was maybe 12 or 13

That would be end Alpha early beta, around Oct 09 to Feb 10. Coincidentally, I bought it on Beta 1.3, when beds were added.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

tokin opposition posted:

Anyway I want to know how a Minecraft launcher promotes queerness very much so, either from the author or the hacker

They thought of adding a CoC, and then you couldn't call all the women contributors sluts who deserve to be raped anymore.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Honestly now wondering how long it'll be till the pissbabies demand curse put captchas in all their downloads not on the poo poo for brains launcher

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

I did it with just the two ProjectE rings that give creative flight and arrow shooting. Wasn't all that hard.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

You can do the fight 4 times and get infinite hearts legit via drygmy, but yeah lmao mc combat

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

bawk posted:

nevermind this mod loving sucks, you cannot sort inventories and stuff just sorta piles up willy-nilly

The big truck has failed, return to the series of tubes.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

An ender eye for an eye, all pack makers should be blind.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

If you figured out a way to config or submod a non poo poo version they'd probably go full Arunmoor anyway, which would give the SANCTIONS screen some company for delusion.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

McFrugal posted:

The only safe distance is "in a dimension you don't care about"

code:

Chance Cubes v1.14.45-MC1.19

-Added two cross dimensional builds to giant chance cubes

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

McFrugal posted:

Jesus christ.

I clearly should have been more clear this post was, for now, a joke

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

FPzero posted:

I remember playing TFC with a bunch of goons here a decade ago and it was a surprisingly fun time looking for different stones, ores, managing heat in the smeltery and more. This was back when we were all still testing Technic Pack MP, pre-Tekkit. Good times.

Did you help with this

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

FPzero posted:

I also remember a different test world where someone used redpower microblocks to build an airplane or space shuttle that had the world spawn inside it, so you'd arrive and walk off the plane. In the same world I built an elaborate and very inefficient sorting system using buildcraft diamond pipes because the Redpower Sorting Machine wasn't around yet and neither was Applied Energistics.

My partners in crime back then were KillerOfLawyers, KakerMix, Cheap Shot, and others. I also remember powercrystals and...I can't remember the lead dev on Thermal Expansion's forum name. But they were both around too. I think powercrystals did the first Nether Ores and also Minefactory? I think Minefactory was the one with plastic machine blocks and was an alternative to Forestry because CovertJaguar hated what we were doing with modpacks as a whole.

Also Squirrelo, wargames and Karsan alongside KoL and Cockmoxie, but yeah, you were in the same poo poo. It has indeed, a lot of this was late 12 early 13, all before the cross compatible 1.7 series came out that December.

Also Sengir was exploding bees binch boy. CJ was the guy who made sanctions.jpg, so railcraft.

StealthArcher fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 4, 2023

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Never Play Perfidious Gergion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Arrath posted:

Spoilsport

Back in the days of Tekkit when I built my first ever IC2 nuke I backed my base up then blew it up just to see what happened. It kicked rear end. Then I reloaded.

Bodily fluids motherfucker