Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

kneelbeforezog posted:

Whats the absolute best pokemon/gundam/other segment from each long running childrens show?

Pink jacket Lupin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

KomradeX posted:

Saw one of those this is what you think X looked like 20 years ago, this is what is actually was 20 yeara ago with anime, and Dirty Pair and Naruto being the two examples, and I hit to say ita a shame Dirty Pair isn't streaming anywhere

Dirty Pair: Project Eden is legally on youtube at least, it has been helpful since it's easy for me to just link that to pals and tell them: this is the good poo poo right here, watch it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Toph Bei Fong posted:

If you haven't read Inside Mari, it's a loving trip

Basic premise is, schlubby loser guy lives in his own filth, lies to his parents about going to college, and spends all day playing video games, depressed. The only highlight of his day is going to the convenience store and stalking a pretty high school girl as she walks home. Until, one morning, he wakes up in her body. Suddenly, he has to consider her as an actual human being, with a family, friends, and a life, and not as simply an idealized vision he stares at from afar, and her life (and life as a girl in general) is quite different from what he expected. It's a quite horrible subversion of that cliched harem comedy trope of the protagonist getting stuck in the lead girl's body, played 100% straight, and to good effect.

It's by Shuzo Oshimi, famous for Happiness, Flowers of Evil, and Blood on the Tracks, so, if you're familiar with any of those, you know the kind of psychological horror manga this is.

Everything Shuzo Oshimi creates is an intense as hell read and I love it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mirello posted:

that manga is legit the only time I've ever stopped reading because the art was too confusing. maybe the translation I was reading wasn't good either, but I just couldn't understand wtf was going on.

trigun is a classic, and I wont hear any criticism of it. Vash is fighting for a kinder more peaceful world. In the end, he does recognize that sometimes killings is necessary, and he was too dogmatic before (as shown by legato). He still holds to his ideals tho. also lol at the ending talk, you guys get that they literally cant die right? Knives was basically hit by a nuke at close range and survived it.

also, double lol that vash and lelouch are voiced by the same guy (whose voice I love btw). the least murdery and the most murdery protaginists of all time. Although they both have similar goals.

Yea the manga has a lot of incredible designs but there's something about its visual language that I frequently found tough to parse. Sometimes had to reread entire chapters to really figure it out.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Welcome to the NHK is a legit good novel, an okay manga, and a weird anime. It was odd experiencing them in succession, kind of like seeing Flanderization occur in real time.

Weird as the adaptations are, I'd legit recommend the novel to depressed folks who think the world isn't going to get any better. It's a legit work about how the only thing we have in this world is each other, so please be kind, and how not expecting big changes or massive upheaval of one's life, and instead making small incremental day to day changes to pull you out of the hole is the best way to go. Dumb as it might be to admit, it helped me a lot when I was in my 20s, alone and scared and unsure of where my life was going

Like a decade ago I binged the entire manga in a single day while unemployed. Definitely not the best state of mind for doing that haha.

I should definitely hit up the novel one of these days. The manga had a pretty big effect on me back in the day and if it's a watered down version of the novel I think that even a decade later I could still get a lot out of the real deal.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the best webnovel translation was the one where the guy intentionally and openly refused to translate any common noun. it was almost completely unreadable, because obviously there weren't footnotes or anything explaining what all these untranslated terms meant.

I hope all the common nouns were in brackets too

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Dreddout posted:

never gonna watch dr. stone but everything I have read about it makes it seem like it was made to be the anime for the people who believe elon musk is a genius

It's a pretty cool series for the most part but you also gotta be able to look past some colonialist undertones

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

im slightly convinced part of it is just garbage translation making it seem even longer but i don't know enough to say

Nah they're all long and ridiculous even in the original language

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

KomradeX posted:

I had a video on YouTube today recommended to me called the crimes of modem localization, or something like that that was 40 minutes long and I couldn't say gently caress that hard enough

I hate myself so I looked at it and it was immediately the exact same bad, ignorant talking points that always get trotted out by these freaks, right now to the exact same examples. And then I look at their twitter and learned they might be a pedophile.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

tokin opposition posted:

I really want to love tatami but by god the motor mouth + subs is too much for my poor stoner brain to keep up with

Good reason to watch each episode multiple times and get something new out of it each time, imo

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

pee:zero

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tanya the Evil is the only modern isekai I've ever really been able to get into. I appreciate how honest it is.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

KomradeX posted:

Didn't know the writer was a communist, that owns. Bit it's pretty obvious because that show just showed what an utterly despicable character Tanya/ the Salaryman are

Some folks think that because nobody explicitly says "war crimes are bad, you shouldn't do them", that the show thinks it's good when Tanya commits war crimes.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

Might be even a lot of people think that.

Unfortunate but true.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

i miss fansubs

I don't, I remember when fansub groups could be jerks about releasing anime because they wanted to lord it over the masses

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

People who used to represent the worst aspects of fandom now have American cartoons to obsess over. Obviously it's still there, but it's easier to ignore than ever before.

Not just that but also since there is way too much anime these days everything gets sectioned off into its own niches instead of being part of the monoculture so it is harder than ever to see the worst aspects of fandom unless you're a twisted psycho that actively looks for it. I can appreciate that.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Calling my shot now, the live action Cowboy Bebop is gonna be decent on its own merits but will pale in comparison to the anime.

But heck, that's okay. It existing will mean plenty of people will check out the anime for the first time so there's value in that if nothing else.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Eva is absolutely worth watching. It's incredible and even if you don't dig it you can probably find something to respect about it since it has been hugely influential in so many ways.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Gripweed posted:

Yeah Dougram is a bizarrely realistic representation of a popular insurgency.

I never finished it because it's such a long show with quite a few stretches where it's just killing time, but in its first arc I was definitely blown away at seeing the leader of the insurgency straight up selling them out in exchange for their planet becoming a colony of Earth with him as its representative.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Gripweed posted:

The long stretches of nothing happens are actually somewhat intentional, because the revolution doesn't actually make any real gains until a significant number of the locally-born soldiers working for the occupational government quit/defect in protest over the execution of a popular NCO.

At which point things start to move very quickly.

That makes sense to me and heck I was getting the impression it was gonna be something along those lines. Though it being 70-something episodes made it hard to stick with til the end.

I did quite like what I saw and I mean to go back to it someday tho.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Honest Thief posted:

watching reconguista in bulk of 3-5 episodes and that makes the whole thing flow much better than when it was coming out

yea there's just so much stuff that gets casually mentioned in passing but is important and only becomes relevant several episodes later

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Yeah. That's why it's cool.

yea & it gets boring once they tone down the bullying aspect

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

tokin opposition posted:

Mecha anime are overrated

I think the word overrated sucks but in this case...I'll allow it

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It is not at all hard to figure out why Miyazaki is considered the "good anime director" over Tomino. Come on. Putting mecha aside, you do not need to invest 20 hours into appreciating Miyazaki's greatest works. You should be comparing Miyazaki to other filmmakers like Satoshi Kon or Oshii. In that case it's because Miyazaki comes the closest to capturing "Disney magic."

:hai:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The actual way to effectively take down a lot of isekai stuff would be to make a story that tackles the colonialist themes present in so many of them since they can range from outright vile to just well-intentioned but inadvertently pro-colonialist

It's way easier said than done tho

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Fauxbot posted:

that's been done years ago. it was that 'me with the child soldiers and also a girl gets horrifically raped. something something giant fort and desertification and warlordism was the background to the rather nasty plot but can't remember the name.

it was possibly the most horrifically depressing 'me after texhnolyze i ever did see

Now and Then, Here and There is good but also it doesn't criticize it in the same way modern isekai do it, if that makes sense?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Gonna be checking this out over the weekend, hope it's good

https://twitter.com/NetflixAnime/status/1418146253137842177

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

They announced a Pluto anime years ago. They've been completely silent since that announcement, but I have faith it will appear someday.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Segata Sanshiro posted:

why did eva thrice upon a time play Xmas music from a gospel choir at me

because it rules

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

McKilligan posted:

The sequels were utterly hollow attempts to mimic everything about the original, but only at a surface level. Imitation without understanding. They took no comparable risks to the original, choosing instead to ctrl-c everything that worked last time.

The fact that they used The Pillows at all was a very alarming sign to me from the start. And then it came out and it turned out that they also just reused most of the songs from the memorable scenes in the original instead of anything the band has done in the past, like, 15 years.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Good soup! posted:

are they available to stream anywhere, or are they just DVD/BD releases?

all 3 movies are on netflix

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

TheMightyBoops posted:

I just had a premonition that Netflix will get the rights to something Gainax related and it will suck rear end. Probably Fl-Cl

it'd be very hard for netflix to gently caress it up more than the people who made the two flcl sequels tbh

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

if nothing else the live action Alita was pretty cool

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

TheMightyBoops posted:

I’m thinking I should try some sports related poo poo out, what should I be watching?

Ping Pong: The Animation and Touch are both incredibly good.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

https://animethemes.moe/video/Touch-OP1.webm

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ringo Roadagain posted:

touch is so good

:hai:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

aim for the ace is ftw if you like to see people getting ruthlessly bullied

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

everyone who enjoys ping pong the animation is legally required to watch the aim for the ace movie

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

net work error posted:

Disney+ is going to be streaming the Tatami Galaxy sequel and the thought of Disney having the rights to it just really bums me out for some reason.https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...lobally/.178447

despite having a million billion dollars they are probably gonna be paying peanuts to whoever is translating it + the other anime they've acquired

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Good soup! posted:

Cross post from the ippo thread but

Whoa lol I thought this wasnt supposed to be out for another week? Not complaining though, glad it arrived before my move across the country

Hoping they bring over New Challenger and Rising

hell yeah, v nice