Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The X-Men anime on Netflix is very bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Gasaraki was an interesting 90's anime, clearly taking influence from GITS, but perhaps also influencing GITS:SAC after it. I don't remember much about the story, aside from it being a somewhat impenetrable near-future political drama with mechs. The aesthetic was sort of dark and gritty, with lot of references to noh theater and Japanese religion. Watching the opening really brings me back to that late 90's zeitgeist. I wish current anime was more like this.

It was prolly super fash tho.

thotsky has issued a correction as of 00:39 on Jan 11, 2021

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

the original ghost in the shell movie (pls dont watch 2.0 it adds horribly ugly cgi),

The CGI I can live with, the real crime is redoing all of the SFX. Like, I get why they did it, they wanted to replace the dated 80's anime sounding shooting and explosions with a more modern/western aesthetic so they got a skilled dude from Lucasfilm to do it, but it ends up ruining some of truly amazing interactions between industrial noises and Kenji Kawai's soundtrack. I would argue that the whine of the tanks legs moving in harmony with the strings during the tank scene is integral to the scene and they just ripped that out.

Let's compare:

Original
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-IsysrqUlU&t=22s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6fQ4umUW4Y&t=160s

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Augus posted:

but there's the obvious elephant in the room that the skeevy aesthetic can be very off-putting and is basically impossible to ignore. you couldn't tell whether it wanted to mock fanservice anime or was just genuinely presenting itself as a fanservice anime. and I remember it kinda losing me a lot in the second half as it leaned into being more self-serious and edgy.

Sometime after the mid-2000s it was decided that anime should only cater to children and people who should be kept far away from children. A few years later shows like Haruhi, Bakemonogatari and KLK were like "lets try to hide good shows underneath all the horny", but it was doomed from the start and anime never recovered.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I was promised a cooking show, but it's mostly small girls being molested by octopus or given orgasms by chicken stock.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Ghost Hound is another show that mixes horror, psychological and sort-of-sci-fi. It's really good.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

The Voice of Labor posted:

it's not necessarily woke or anything bit all this oshii talk is amking me want to endure watching angel's egg again.

What's problematic about it?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I saw it when I was a teenager. There's a lot of imagery that has stuck with me, but I really want to watch it again and see if I can follow more of the plot now.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The Japanese miracle thing in GITS makes no sense. I get that it gave Japan leverage after the war, but now that nuclear weapons are less of a deterrent you would expect some of the countries to be nuking the poo poo out of each other.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

redsniper posted:

They did. They had a nuclear WW3 and then non nuclear WW4 in the sac continuity at least.

I think the Japanese Miracle came about in the aftermath of WW3. As in, apparently the world overcame their fear of nuclear weapons and had a firefight with them, and only Japan had the technology to clean up the mess. Then they had a WW4 with no nuclear weapons... Seems backwards. Makes more sense for the technology to arrive and then have a nuclear exchange.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
a lot of the recent mass protest and maybe some of the events from the Arab spring seem to fit the bill

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
GITS:SAC

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
S2 of geass is confusing and grimdark, but the ending is great. I never got into Gundam, but the over the top magnificent bastard stuff of Code Geass appealed to teenage me.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

more like general deviated septum

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
It can be somewhat annoying when the Netflix subtitles do not even remotely match what is being said, especially if it's a common enough idiom that a causal anime watcher like me can tell.

To be fair, sometimes closed captions of english shows don't even match up, so maybe that's just Netflix.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Watched the Netflix GITS, and while I agree with a lot of the criticism, seeing the band back together with proper character design after the ARISE pilot figuratively made me throw my computer across the room felt really good. It coasts on nostalgia for SAC, but that's better than nothing.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I am enjoying blue period quite a bit.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

christmas boots posted:

So that's Stardust Crusaders (part 3) and it's probably the most famous part - especially in the west. Like nowadays that's not especially true especially since the anime helped make it mainstream but back in the day (when the manga wasn't even getting translated over here) it was the part that got some exposure. It was also neat when it came out because it introduced Stands and instead of doing a traditional tournament arc like everyone was it did a whole globe-trottingt thing.

Now that the years have gone on and the novelty has worn off, it's probably aged the least gracefully. There's nothing it does that another part doesn't do better, and between later arcs and things that were inspired by it, pretty much everything good that did work has since been refined and improved upon.

If you ever feel like giving it another shot, I would suggest either Part 1+2 (Part 1 is really short, like 8 or 9 episodes and with Part 2 it only totals about 26 so watching them together is like a normal 2-cours show) because those are weird and goofy and Part 2 is dumb in the best way, or Part 4 where the Stand powers are more interesting than the the kind of boring/generic lineup from part 3.

E: none of them are really great about having strong female characters except for the new one

Compared to the parts of season 1 I managed to sit through it's great because it's so over the top yet self aware. Season 1 just reads like a bad show, but Stardust Crusaders or whatever is cleary bad on purpose.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
how dare they deprive us of children whose breasts are larger than their head

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

christmas boots posted:

people got real mad about nagotoro but I watched it and it seemed pretty inoffensive. like the bullying really falls off hard after the first episode

It's a cute slice of life anime with some light romance thrown in. I think one can criticize how it pretty much immediately abandons any pretense of humanizing or informing about social anxiety. The first episode also seems to imply the show would tackle bullying and a variety of mental health issues, but by episode 2 it's clear the show is about celebrating the attractive main character, and severe social anxiety is simply an adorable quirk that allows the normal dude to get close to her.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

a cyberpunk goose posted:

I’m finally watching LOGH and holy poo poo what a show

What's so good about it? I watched like 10 episodes and while the 80s aesthetic is fun something like Crest of the Stars has much better action. Feels like schlubby but clever captain and pretty aristocratic antihero captain have both been done to death.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Good soup! posted:

The only thing I remember about Crest of the Stars is it having a dub that was so bad I honestly thought it was one of those "joke" productions

It does a great job of the whole space ships are submarines thing, although there's also huge fleets of them. Sort of a Honor Harrington vibe. It's got the same Humans VS Empire of Snooty Space People thing going on that most space opera space anime do, but we follow a fish out of water human recruit on the space people side, which adds some novelty.

Never saw the dub.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I mean, it was fine. I just wanted to hear what you liked about it.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Nah, pretty much. There's probably always been an undercurrent of that stuff in anime, but in the mid-2000s it became the dominant trend in the industry.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I just watched a Korean movie about femdom on Netflix and this seems the most appropriate place to say that while it was pretty awkward, that's a thing I kind of did not expect to ever see, and at times it was kind of cool.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Where can I find Dogcatcher Inutaro subs? This dub is atrocious.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
people who cater to freaks are better than the freaks, but not by much

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I am pro-thotism.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Good soup! posted:

Beyond one piece being 8 million episodes long, I could just never get into it, something about the art style just throws me off of it

the boobs are not big and round enough

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

sb hermit posted:

Thanks to that show, I absolutely want a japanese hatchet to cut firewood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YREatse8dJ8
WARNING, VIDEO IS VERY LOUD

Never mind that I'll never get to use it since I live in California. And I would be wary of using it anywhere because apparently wildfires in north america can happen anywhere, even canada.

It does not seem particularly good at its job, compared to an axe.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

wolfs posted:

the first episode is interesting and the studio is production i.g.

i remember when this was a mark of quality

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, it still generally means that you'll be getting a pretty-looking show that's unlikely to melt and catch fire halfway through.

That's not been true since they pivoted from delivering nice shows with bits of revolutionary CG to a studio that provides CG as a cost-saving measure.

thotsky has issued a correction as of 08:01 on May 19, 2022

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The Vampire in the Garden show was just fine. Soviet aesthetics are kind of fun, and Pripyat shows up. Don't really understand the politics of it; there's a lot of both-siding between the bolsheviks and the bourgeoisie, but they don't get into the consequences of the conflict to the degree that it reads like a simplistic anti-war thing.

There is a definite gay thing going on, and broader references to forbidden/doomed relationships. Maybe some sort of reference to LGBT people not feeling well done by the class/culture war? That's a stretch though.

thotsky has issued a correction as of 15:21 on May 24, 2022

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

wolfs posted:

stand alone complex 2045 season 2 came out - another production i.g. joint!

I’ll give it this: the op is interesting looking, but I completely forgot what happened in season 1

they put out an ova that just edits s1 to catch you up for s2

i have not seen it but I would guess that they edit out all the good parts

no real interest in the post-human plot

the sustainable war idea is alright, it's just an exaggeration of the the endless proxy wars we have today; but if they toned it down a little and added more of a climate change angle it would seem less cartoony

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

sb hermit posted:

To be clear, sustainable war is the ova that is a supercut of season 1

I meant sustainable war as a concept.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Popy posted:

GITS:SAC is one of the few animes were i have a hard time picking a fav episode. Well-Fed Me might be it i dunno but that episode stuck with me.

Every episode where they play velveteen.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
It's just the intro, they go back to Japan in episode 2 I believe.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Somebody who worked on Gits 2045 s2e2 liked the new XCOM games

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
S2 of GITS 2045 was really dumb. There are no cool stand-alone episodes like in S1, and the post-human plot is so messy. At least the final episode introduces some interesting ideas; if only the rest of the show had actually done a better job of setting that up it might have been kind of cool. However, I don't see that the baddies plan in any way addresses actual material concerns.

So people just walk around in the real world but living at least half inside their own personal fantasy. How are resources divided in the real world? Who feeds people? If half the country is dreaming that they are the prime minister, who actually makes decisions that affect the real world?

How do people meaningfully interact with one another? It seems to me doublethink would have to work very hard to keep peoples personal fantasies from being in conflict with another, so much so that cooperating on a complex project would be practically impossible.

It looked for a little while like they were implying that people would just literally live dream lives in boxes that saw to their needs, similar to the one Makoto wakes up in, a pretty famous philosophical concept, but then they abandon that in the very next sentence and I think the implication is that they were just shelters from the smart gas. Good thing they thought of preparing 3 million of those since the AE used gas and not a nuke of their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

HootTheOwl posted:

I never watched SAC all the way through sequentially as a kid but man did I forget how horny this show is for the major.

There's a lot of gratuitous rear end shots in S1, especially in the first few episodes, but they kind of get over it as the show goes on.

I don't think they ever really explain why she's a barbie doll. In a world where cyborgs exists I doubt people would underestimate her based on her looks so it's hard to see any tactical advantage in that configuration. It does make for a good beauty and the beast aesthetic with Motoko and Batou, but it does not appear that their differing body shapes translate into any particular field specialities; if anything The Major can outdo anyone on her team. I guess the point has mainly been to emphasize that her body is literally just an object by objectifying it as much as possible.