Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Starmer is somehow less convincing as an effective opposition leader than Ed Miliband, how did this happen :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Former chancellor George Osborne to become full-time banker

:v:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

stev posted:

Got my first jab booked. Pump me full of beans. :toot:

I think you may want to check exactly what you're signed up for there buddy

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Well yes, old people do not like change :v:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
UK banks given six months to prepare for negative interest rates

quote:

The Bank of England took a step closer to introducing negative interest rates for the first time on Thursday, after it gave lenders six months to prepare for such a move.

Threadneedle Street’s monetary policy committee (MPC) voted unanimously to keep the official interest rate at historically low levels while it agreed set the deadline for banks to prepare themselves after policymakers said they were ready to make negative lending rates part of their toolkit.

According to the minutes of the MPC meeting, officials were split over asking lenders to put in place the measures needed to facilitate negative rates on loans and mortgages, with some fearing that it would signal to investors that the central bank planned to move ahead in the next few months.

But the committee agreed that to include a cut in interest rates to below zero in the raft of measures available to policymakers, lenders would need to put in place the technical requirements allowing them to implement it at short notice.
There are fears that negative lending rates, which are expected to lower borrowing costs for households and businesses, would force high street banks and building societies to offer negative savings rates.

[...]

GDP is expected to fall by about 4% in 2021 Q1, in contrast to expectations of a rise in the November report.

However, the Bank expects growth to bounce back as the NHS vaccine programme takes effect and schools, universities and most businesses return to more normal levels of activity.

What a shame covid has tarnished our wonderful brexit

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Camrath posted:

* Toblerone - everyone’s favourite triangular treat combined with our smoothest fudge. The honey nougat has melted into the fudge to give a slight chew and subtle background flavour

:bisonyes:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I have a nervous feeling that if I keep leaving a comment with the order that pickled onion is better I may just end up with pickled onion fudge

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Because it is customary for the government to blame everything it doesn't like on the EU, and the fact that we are not in the EU any more doesn't change that.

This is why the Government has decreed that all negative factors hampering the country's economic prosperity will be henceforth designated illegal foreign incursions from the newly recognised Brexit 'Extended Universe'. Further detail of this existential threat can be clearly seen in dramatic satellite footage captured just this morning:

The only known defence against this encroaching evil is a mandatory national clap at 6pm daily.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
At least we ate out to help out

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Did we talk about this yet?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/feb/07/revealed-queen-lobbied-for-change-in-law-to-hide-her-private-wealth

quote:

The Queen successfully lobbied the government to change a draft law in order to conceal her “embarrassing” private wealth from the public, according to documents discovered by the Guardian.

A series of government memos unearthed in the National Archives reveal that Elizabeth Windsor’s private lawyer put pressure on ministers to alter proposed legislation to prevent her shareholdings from being disclosed to the public.

Following the Queen’s intervention, the government inserted a clause into the law granting itself the power to exempt companies used by “heads of state” from new transparency measures.

The arrangement, which was concocted in the 1970s, was used in effect to create a state-backed shell corporation which is understood to have placed a veil of secrecy over the Queen’s private shareholdings and investments until at least 2011.

The true scale of her wealth has never been disclosed, though it has been estimated to run into the hundreds of millions of pounds.

quote:

The papers reveal that in November 1973 the Queen feared that a proposed bill to bring transparency to company shareholdings could enable the public to scrutinise her finances. As a result she dispatched her private lawyer to press the government to make changes.

quote:

Three crucial pages of correspondence between civil servants at the trade department reveal how, at that meeting, Farrer relayed the Queen’s objection that the law would reveal her private investments in listed companies, as well as their value. He proposed that the monarch be exempted.

quote:

After being informed that exempting only the crown from the legislation would mean it was obvious any shareholdings so anonymised were the Queen’s property, Farrer, the correspondence states, “took fright somewhat, emphasised that the problem was taken very seriously and suggested – somewhat tentatively – that we had put them into this quandary and must therefore find a way out.”

Drukker continued: “He did not like any suggestions that holdings were not these days so embarrassing, given the wide knowledge of, for example, landed property held. Nor did he see that the problem might be resolved by any avoidance of holdings in particular companies. It was the knowledge per se that was objectionable.”

After being informed by Farrer “that he must now seek instruction” from his client, Drukker advised a colleague: “I think we must now do what you suggested we should eventually do – warn ministers.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvMxqcgBhWQ

also gently caress john lydon for being a fascist oval office

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

https://twitter.com/ClickHole/status/1018170815291052032

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

There has been some research done about the link between autism and gut bacteria, which is what I think led to that insanity a year or so ago where parents were force feeding their kids bleach.

:stonk:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

feedmegin posted:

Still pissed ASDA axed their cheapest brand of boxed red wine like 2 weeks into the first lockdown.

Lidl's £2.79 range is fine tbh

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Christ what's with the gain on Boris' microphone :psypop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSRDDcCxA6Y

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Rumda posted:

and maybe when the time comes to it that your neighbor is trans, because the law says that they are all dangerous predators

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Hmm, could "a big wave of infection" actually be a good thing? I am very smart

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

Love to turn the island into a viral petri dish because actually doing things to mitigate disaster was hard work and makes the economy number sad.

but on the other hand, think of how low the unemployment rate will go when we kill all the poors

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

getting some extremely fashy vibes from France recently, moreso than usual

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Olpainless posted:

Yup. Transphobia really, really needs to gently caress off forever. It raises my ire how many people seem to struggle with the concept of 'let someone be free to be the identity they choose to present to the world'.

Just the concept of 'treat others how you would like to be treated' is bizarrely foreign enough to so many people these days. I don't care if you don't like me just leave me the gently caress alone and don't try to sabotage my opportunities and potential.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

I meant gently caress the kids not gently caress the kids

https://twitter.com/thecourieruk/status/1360334247035162627?s=19

I feel they could have chosen a better metaphor. Unless they're expecting to lose. In which case brilliant metaphor.

"fail forward" is effectively official government policy so either way it's spot on

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Endjinneer posted:

IDS is a prison warden. Starmer is a parking warden.

IDS is the cruel yet indifferent administrator of a nightmarish panopticon from a Terry Gilliam movie

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Well surely that just means that they will focus on the most important and serious crimes...

It's good of the police to warn us that sweets bought from drug dealers might contain drugs

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Amusingly my first lesson in "don't trust the police" was at primary school when a policeman came in, in uniform, to give us a talk. The head introduced him, then he said he'd bought sweets in for everyone, so we all rushed in to grab some. He then stopped us and said that we shouldn't take sweets from someone we didn't know.

Thanks, 80s policeman.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

One of our old neighbours was on that show and said AR was really nice to all the contestants between rounds so they didn't feel bad when she was playing things up for the camera.

:yikes: for that clip though

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Niric posted:

This is far, far too quick and easy to use to properly evoke the nostalgia of waiting for teletext to do something and getting increasingly frustrated at it

Also it occasionally needs to gently caress up and have half the characters replaced with garbage

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
He sent a clear and serious message to the government that he will sensibly support whatever they put forward

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

OzyMandrill posted:

Death of the author, mofo! Once the creative work is released into public domain the original intent is insignificant compared to all the other meanings that the current viewing public put upon it. Team monster lives on!

Yeah this is like John Romero saying 'gibs' is pronounced 'jibs', I know he's right but I don't care.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

How do you pronounce "giblets" then?

I know this is just a tired retread of the eternal GIF debate, but drat people be wrong online

Ooh giblets is the same but a gib is a gib. It's not "Mel Jibson" is it :colbert:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Is that like a Maru Mari or is it a type of sushi? Wait, was the Maru Mari named after a type of sushi? :aaa:

It's a Star Trek reference; a training simulation presenting an unwinnable scenario, designed to test how a captain reacts to certain failure.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Wanted man hands himself into Sussex police for ‘peace and quiet’ after getting fed up with people he lives with

lol

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

IIRC they had one of these about Charlotte Church next to a handwringing article complaining about the Brass Eye paedophile special

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Doom breed posted:

Haven't listened to the latest pod yet but just wanted to say thanks to everyone involved (past and present!). Always a good listen so thanks for all the work you put in for it!

:same:

although i have struggled to listen to many of the recent episodes as they tend to lay bare the reality of a rapidly disintegrating country being piledriven into the ground by rabid, randian ghouls

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Amortize the Covid bond
In the skills wallet

This sounds like a euphemism for anal sex tbh

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

TACD posted:

Extremely powerful normality radiating from this man

https://twitter.com/BernieTranders/status/1363186622355881985?s=20

oh gently caress off glinner you hateful wasteman

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Labour MPs dismayed at orders to maintain ‘radio silence’ on Brexit

quote:

Labour MPs are being asked by the party’s high command not to focus on problems caused by Brexit when asking questions in parliament, dealing with the media, or posting on social media, according to sources in the parliamentary party.

After a week in which Labour leader Keir Starmer delivered a major speech on how the country should rebuild the economy and reduce inequality without once mentioning Brexit, relations with the EU or the severe problems that have confronted many UK exporters since 1 January, senior party figures reacted with astonishment.

Last night former cabinet member and Europe minister Peter Hain said Brexit had become the “elephant in the room” for Labour.

Hain told the Observer: “It’s quite understandable that Brexit has not been top of Labour’s agenda, but it’s not sustainable to ignore this elephant in the room hurting British businesses, our vital performing arts sector, our security and our foreign policy reach. The Tories delivered a last-minute mess of a Brexit with damaging consequences, not least to stability on the island of Ireland.”

One senior backbencher said the message from the top was very clear – that there should be virtual “radio silence” on the issue. “The order that is coming out is: ‘don’t mention the war’. We are being told that Keir wants to move on and that if we mention the B-word let alone suggest we a need better deal with the EU than Boris Johnson’s we are being unhelpful.”

quote:

Since 1 January Starmer has not raised Brexit or problems caused by it once at PMQs, and interventions on the issue from backbenchers have been rare. None of the shadow cabinet or frontbench team have made a speech in parliament on the issues affecting UK businesses.

he's so poo poo :ughh:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Dogatron posted:

I doubt Greece will. Phill has been told by the Greeks he can never set foot in Greece ever.

Why's that?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

What are the CSI's about? From a purely exterior perspective it seems to be "police procedural, but solved via magic"

CSI Miami is ridiculous murders (e.g. man obliterated by railgun) set in an alternate universe where David Caruso is inexplicably the coolest man in the world. Literally everything revolves like clockwork around providing him an opportunity to make an absurd quip or walk away from an explosion in slow motion, punctuated by him donning or doffing his sunglasses for no particular reason. An ordinary conversation with forensics about the nature of a bullet wound will be abruptly terminated when he slings out a quip and immediately exits the room. Everyone around him is fine with this and never brings it up with him or anyone else. It's like a modern Steven Seagal movie where the hero just raises his fists and the bad guys run into them at full force before somersaulting themselves out of windows.

Convex fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Feb 21, 2021

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Halisnacks posted:

It is actually shocking just how poo poo Keir has turned out. I knew he would be bad in terms of direction he’d take the party, but I didn’t actually think he’d alienate the broader electorate quite as much as he has in his first year in post (with a largely docile press, might I add).

Have any leaders of the (major) political parties actually resigned or lost leadership challenges before leading their party through at least one general election? Short of a truly disqualifying scandal, it doesn’t feel like anything - like bad local election results - might actually compel Starmer to stand down before 2024, right?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Bloodly posted:

Following this through, what's the hidden 4th directive?

4. Have puffy face like a blowfish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Why is this fucker always late :argh: