Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Yeah Intuit and H&R Block lobby like crazy to keep taxes difficult to file

Love to get emails from TurboTax beginning January 1st inviting me to file now. I have like one of the documents I need, not really looking to deal with an amended return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

ASAPI posted:

Same boat.

If the documents are needed every drat year, why aren't they ever sent/available at the beginning of the year? Why is there always a wait for things? It's not like our taxes are magically not due anymore, or that the due date changes often.

On the subject of tax chat, strongly recommend creating an IRS account. Aside from being able to review your old info, creating an account prevents bad actors from creating an account for you and pillaging your past returns:

https://www.irs.gov/payments/view-your-tax-account

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

Reconciliation framework introduced tomorrow:

https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/1356341404746870784

My understanding is that this stuff has to pass (with 50), then you can do the reconciliation thing. I don't know how quickly that then gets done, but the deadline is the end of the month when unemployment benefits expire. That's a full-blown cliff, as states are *still* hosed up from Donnie throwing his tantrum and letting unemployment benefits expire.

That's good, pass the big stimulus and if the GOP wants to try to block it make them do it formally.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

I read a book by former Seattle police chief Norm Stamper who is quite progressive especially for a cop. He argued for legalization of every drug except PCP as people on that were uncontrollable. Dunno if that’s in the cards but would be good to make pot legal federally.

Regarding Cruz’s book buys when I was younger and dumber I went to a mega church where the pastor got caught doing the same thing. If he had given up a little power and accepted oversight his churches might be creeping on Olsteen levels by now, but that combined with a few other scandals led him to give up and leave town and the many fast growing church campuses were gone in less than half a year.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Considering that Elon has proposed, essentially, indentured servitude for a trip to Mars, for people...I would not be surprised.

Didn’t he say earth laws wouldn’t apply on Mars? Would like specifics on what is currently illegal that he would like to be doing.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Best Friends posted:

If it's any consolation, neither Elon musk or any living human will colonize Mars.

It drives me slightly insane that instead of focusing on keeping earth inhabitable, our richest are blowing their money on a fantasy of colonizing a much, much less inhabitable planet.

And yeah I'm sure their fantasies of being literal space emperors plays into that.

The game Surviving Mars (pretty, pretty good) is about that. Has a bit of mood whiplash in the notifications:

"First child born on Mars! You get the Marvin the Martian achievement!"
"The tennis courts are now taking reservations!"
"Your failure to building adequate healthcare has led to the first alcohol related suicide!"

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Argh Dems, just pass $2000k checks like everyone was expecting. If the Senate were 49-51 absolutely nothing would happen.

Also lol reddit drama. I remember years ago wondering how if accounts are free to make and simple to rereg, wouldn't it be impossible to kick out troublemakers? Turns out I wasn't missing anything.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Best Friends posted:

I'll believe in their philanthropy as soon as one of them actually spends enough to decrease their net worth. Bill Gates has over twice the wealth he had when he first promised to give all his wealth away.

For sure, if Bezos’ climate pledge equaled his divorce payout I’d take it more seriously.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

ASAPI posted:

I would love viable train systems. The wife and I looked into a train ride, we would have to fly out of state, then pay 3 times the cost of a plane ticket to travel half the distance over the course of a week.

Dang now I’m trying to remember the last time I rode a train. 2019 while visiting family in Boston we rode the subway. It was fine.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

A Bad Poster posted:

They send cars to customers that aren't even fully painted.

Don't buy a Tesla.

The Stalingrad tank factory production method.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Kinda wonder why trump is bothering to offer a defense at all. Just send one acolyte to move the trial along and object to nothing, then enjoy your 50-50 acquittal.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Will it affect them in elections? Who knows? Is it affecting the british people? Significantly so. Brexit is loving them up badly and the majority of britons are feeling the pain.

That's a good question, I'm not an expert on UK politics isn't part of the problem that the Labor party is a bit of a mess at the moment? I know they have more than two parties but it seems like the Tories will be insulated from some consequences if there isn't competent opposition.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

The P90 must have a fantastic agent. Best gun in Goldeneye and standard issue to Stargate Command.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

but was there an audiobook?

what do you expect, for americans to read to themselves?

Yes https://www.audible.com/pd/The-9-11-Commission-Report-Audiobook/B002V5BUYM

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Is there a reason the Taliban doesn't simply stop offensives for a few months and claim to be following the peace process, wait for NATO to depart, maybe give it a month, then overrun the rest of the country? Unlikely that the West would be interested in reinvading. Do their leaders not have enough control to do that, or would it risk an internal Taliban coup in favor of more attacks?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Did Rush Limbaugh die?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

I went to college in a fairly conservative area, and it was surprising to learn how big of a deal Rush was. He’d carefully repeat the names of New Democrats his listeners needed to hate, and when I went to a friend’s house saw the Rush newsletter on their coffee table. Later knew a guy who routinely listened to the whole show every day and barely thought about it. Eye opening to see that’s he’s not just a radio guy but had a massive propaganda operation that was a huge part of people’s lives.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Handsome Ralph posted:

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1362449508186128385

:lol: what a baby.

I "met" him at a charity event a couple of years ago. Dude was barely with it then, honestly surprised he's lasted this long.

I totally thought he was wounded at Battle of Monte Cassino in 1944 but it was much further north in April 1945.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Hahaha switched to a Texas face mask.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Defenestrategy posted:

As fun as it is to dunk on Texas, remember people through no fault of their own are affected and the people responsible for it arent.

Yeah like most bad things the worst effects hit the poorest and most vulnerable who were not the ringleaders, while those responsible have generators or employees to fetch them supplies, or just jet off to a Mexican resort.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

GoGoGadget posted:

Is this whole thing affecting military bases in the area, too? I know it's a weird thing to focus on, but the thought of how much it'd suck to be in BMT with no water or electricity briefly came up.

Would they have generators for essential operations? Seems like a base being knocked out from a power outage is something to be avoided.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

A Bad Poster posted:

Can't say for sure, but I do know a guy who left his job as a wheeled vehicle mechanic MOS to change to whatever MOS works on the big generators that bases use for backup power. Apparently you go straight to doing literally the exact same job on the civilian side but making a minimum of six figures doing that.

Dang that's a good gig. A friend retired from the Coast Guard after years as a chief engineer (I think with a focus on engines) and went into working for telecoms keeping a data center (or data hub? whatever the buildings that keep cell networks going) running. If the place went down it could wipe out local communications so it requires a security clearance he already had, and I think they always have to have an engineer on site just in case. It's good work and not much happens each shift.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Texans have over 200 electric companies to choose from. How could this go wrong?

quote:

His Lights Stayed on During Texas’ Storm. Now He Owes $16,752.

quote:

“My savings is gone,” said Scott Willoughby, a 63-year-old Army veteran who lives on Social Security payments in a Dallas suburb. He said he had nearly emptied his savings account so that he would be able to pay the $16,752 electric bill charged to his credit card — 70 times what he usually pays for all of his utilities combined. “There’s nothing I can do about it, but it’s broken me.”

Mr. Willoughby is among scores of Texans who have reported skyrocketing electric bills as the price of keeping lights on and refrigerators humming shot upward. For customers whose electricity prices are not fixed and are instead tied to the fluctuating wholesale price, the spikes have been astronomical.

quote:

The steep electric bills in Texas are in part a result of the state’s uniquely unregulated energy market, which allows customers to pick their electricity providers among about 220 retailers in an entirely market-driven system.
Under some of the plans, when demand increases, prices rise. The goal, architects of the system say, is to balance the market by encouraging consumers to reduce their usage and power suppliers to create more electricity.

But when last week’s crisis hit and power systems faltered, the state’s Public Utilities Commission ordered that the price cap be raised to its maximum limit of $9 per kilowatt-hour, easily pushing many customers’ daily electric costs above $100. And in some cases, like Mr. Willoughby’s, bills rose by more than 50 times the normal cost.

Many of the people who have reported extremely high charges, including Mr. Willoughby, are customers of Griddy, a small company in Houston that provides electricity at wholesale prices, which can quickly change based on supply and demand.

“Griddy”

quote:

The company passes the wholesale price directly to customers, charging an additional $9.99 monthly fee. Much of the time, the rate is considered affordable. But the model can be risky: Last week, foreseeing a huge jump in wholesale prices, the company encouraged all of its customers — about 29,000 people — to switch to another provider when the storm arrived. But many were unable to do so.

Katrina Tanner, a Griddy customer who lives in Nevada, Texas, said she had been charged $6,200 already this month, more than five times what she paid in all of 2020. She began using Griddy at a friend’s suggestion a couple of years ago and was pleased at the time with how simple it was to sign up.

As the storm rolled through during the past week, however, she kept opening the company’s app on her phone and seeing her bill “just rising, rising, rising,” Ms. Tanner said. Griddy was able to take the money she owed directly from her bank account, and she now has just $200 left. She suspects that she was only able to keep that much because her bank stopped Griddy from taking more.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/20/us/texas-storm-electric-bills.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I figure the next step is them suspending standardized tests because it'll make this patently obvious. It'd be interesting to see ACT and SAT scores as well compared to pre-COVID times.

The old George Carlin bit about "pretty soon all you'll need to get into college is a fuckin' pencil" proves prophetic.

I still think the solution to "kids need two extra years of school" is to loop in community colleges nationwide to take in the former Juniors and Seniors.

If a high school senior is willing to provide a $40k yearly check there are dozens of colleges happy to have them with no regard for academic ability or there being a chance in hell they finish four years or even one. At my not great Christian college I dunno if anyone got rejected, and there were guys sleeping through finals or known as being “that burglary guy” feeding a gambling addiction. They just stopped being around after a few months but now had a whole lotta debt.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It still amuses and depresses me to see Rick Perry continue to wear those completely ornamental "lookit me ah'm smart" glasses.

I have a coworker who does that. Dunno if the glasses are working as they prefer a two hour daily commute despite WFH being ok so sometimes they video into meetings while driving.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Sacrist65 posted:

Ben and Jerrys did this, with the CEO capped at 5x the lowest paid employee. The founders wanted to create a more just world. They changed it to 15x when the founder retired so they could attract a "talented" CEO, who then sold the brand to a conglomerate whose CEO probably makes several hundred times more than the lowest paid employee.

Boomers.txt

Hahaha now owned by Unilever. Dunno what their CEO makes, his wikipedia page looks like it was written/scrubbed by their PR dept with minimal info, like the Walmart heir pages.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

How does an employer knowingly pay a non-legal resident in the first place? Without breaking the law themselves, that is.

$10 is laughable either way.

The employer isn't paying the farm workers or meat plant employees, they don't work for him. He pays the contractor who hires another contractor who recruits the employees. The contractor is of course assumed to be doing all the legally required compliance to ensure the workers are allowed to be there, are paid the right amounts, and abide by overtime laws. As your crops sit in the field with a extremely limited window for harvest that the local economy depends on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Grip it and rip it posted:

Did anyone fly an F-22 or F-35 when congress was attacked? Seems like we have more pressing national security concerns

I think an F-35 showed up in Die Hard 4 when DC was under attack but McClane dropped a highway on it or something.