Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Eric the Mauve posted:

Dead vikingslumberjacks are the opposite of Jedi, having the high ground = instant defeat for them.

Well yeah that’s why they typically try to leave Scandinavia before getting in any fights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Root armor is love. Root armor is life. 90% of the things that are going to delete you in the Plains are doing pierce damage.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

pik_d posted:

Growths? Lox? Every Fuling except the spear one? I don't know if I agree with this

Non-spear Fulings have a wind up that lasts a thousand years, Lox you should really be peppering from mid range anyway and Growths likewise.

If you're gonna turn to vapor from a surprise it's going to be a spear toss or a deathsquito in the middle of a chaotic fight.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Swamp is by far the most well done biome of the lot. Plains is the worst.

Mountain is alright.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

It’s possible to both be disappointed in Valheim and not mad at the devs. It’s a game with a really really strong foundation that nonetheless has a serious deficit of meat on that bone compared to its peers. Because of the size of the development team it will 100% never actually fix that problem. It wouldn’t be so disappointing if what IS there wasn’t so good, but neither is it a moral failing of the devs.

But there’s also nothing to be done for it so hakuna matata. I hope this has been a useful tutorial on how to hold two ideas in your head at once.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The real thing loving performance in the Mistlands patch apparently is the fish jumping around everywhere.

Game runs the worst it ever has on our server :negative:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Root armor is basically the best armor in the game from swamp through mountain and plains then it finally obsoletes in Mistlands. Fenris is better for early Mistlands imo.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

anatomi posted:

Padded armor is pretty good. Its defense rating is like three times that of root armor. But I suppose the latter is better if all you wanna do is plink arrows from afar.

It’s more that all the threats of consequence in the Plains are piercing damage and Root armor is tankier against Pierce than Padded while also protecting against Poison.

Even if you’re melee-ing, Root armor is the better pick. If you get truly swarmed a quick Bonemass will solve the problem. But javelin Fulings and Deathsquitos nailing you from a blind spot during a chaotic fight is threat numero uno and Root armor pretty much completely neuters both of those things.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

You can't see poo poo, it's dark, it's raining so your stamina doesn't regen properly. It's full of loving leeches that you have to either flatten your way past or catch bites from, and poison blobs that love to make you waste potions, or loving draugr snipers, or those stupid loving root monsters that are just utterly tiresome to fight because they resist most things and have a giant pile of health and are absurdly lethal in melee.

The whole area is just badly designed, it's centered around being a chore, you spend most of the time flattening it, plinking away at the stupid root things so you can get anywhere without one loving you up, looking for stuff to make potions that are basically an existing-in-swamp tax because it's full of stuff that necessitates using them while posing little other threat, and the dungeons are tedious poo poo as well. Not to mention the entire area is the same, it's all the same height and has to be because of the water, it has zero variation in terrain or enemies and even the weather is always the same.

It looks like poo poo, it plays like poo poo, the mechanics it introduces are poo poo. The game would be better if that entire biome and that entire stage of progression were just removed IMO. Put iron on fulings instead of black iron and make black iron craftable with stuff dropped from the big fulings or something.

Every time I play it i forget how utterly garbage that specifc area is. The game is quite fun before that and you get more things to build after that, and some of the areas are quite nice too, mountains are fun to explore. But I have no idea who decided the game needed a sewer biome full of things that cheap shot you and limit your mobility just to make you grind out resources that aren't even interesting but which you need for a bunch of stuff as well as raw numbers to beat the utterly tedious boss and move onto something, anything else.

Especially as you want it for building and poo poo, why on earth is the only way to get iron digging in the loving swamp? Of all the resources that should be renewable, iron should be it.

This is very Bizarro world to read. Pretty much my entire playgroup of 6-7 feel that Swamp is hands down the best designed biome in the game and the most interesting to progress through.

Abominations are fun to fight and have a variety of valid strategies, crypts encourage engaging with a variety of mechanics (carting between crypts, having a forward person hoe a path for the journey both between crypts and back to the ship), just in general a variety of threats in the swamp and rewards for preparation (poison resist and so on). Swamps are probably the high watermark of progression.

Meanwhile mountains and plains felt very perfunctory and straight forward. They fell like dominoes pretty effortlessly with the tools provided by swamp. Mistlands is the first time since swamps that I've felt fully engaged.

Black Forest is still the worst biome in the game tho. Bronze just sucks complete rear end.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 21, 2022

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Having pretty thoroughly plumbed the Mistlands update now:

Excellent update, lots of cool new toys, enjoyably challenging content. Magic (mostly Embers and Protection) is a little overtuned right now but that should be easy enough to fix. Embers needs like 20-30% of it's damage knocked off. Protection honestly could be halved in efficacy and it would still be extremely good.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

anatomi posted:

We just got to Mistlands and I like it a lot, but
you can't use the belt and a mistlight at the same time? Why not? Such a strange decision.

And does the mist lessen the deeper into the lands you venture or something? It's a beautiful biome but you can't see poo poo.

Because making the accessory slot more competitive forces you to make decisions. Is it worth loving visibility on the way back to get More Stuff etc.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

anatomi posted:

Thanks man! We're gonna do some climbing today.

Yeah, I can imagine that's what the developers thought but it's pretty stupid. I understand that there are players who absolutely love poo poo that I personally find tedious (like having to make the hardcore "decision" between seeing anything or restricting your already limited carrying capacity in an area shock full of new stuff) — I just wanted to vent.

Do you mostly solo? If so yeah that might be a factor in differences in perspective. But like those kinds of decisions, carrying capacity vs visibility…like that’s literally the game. Same as teleport restrictions on metals making boats a factor. Logistical hurdles and Problems To Solve are a huge part of the game and without that there’s not much meat on that bone.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This is exactly how I was able to somehow jump ahead to misty bait; randomly picked up whatever fish is required for it. I'm missing like three bait recipes and I couldn't possibly care less.

I feel like if they just removed the current system and implemented Stardew Valley fishing we'd all be better off. Valheim fishing is remarkably bad.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

anatomi posted:

Yeah. Or as often suggested, unlock the teleportation and trading of previous-tier metals.

I'm way more conservative on how easy the game should be than most, and I'd still like Ashlands to introduce a Large Portal that you can take Lox and Carts through.

I'd keep the metal limitations in place tho

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

rydiafan posted:

Just make another?

Yeah I don’t know why you wouldn’t have back up Wisplight. They’re basically free.

In my current world gen our base is on a chunk of plains set on an inland sea. We dug a canal out to the west to enable sailing out into the ocean proper. Mistlands on the other side of our inland sea in spades, and a thin stripe of Mistlands winding through a bunch of biomes to the south. The thin Mistlands stripe proved pretty perfect for mushroom farming. I’ve literally never seen a single Seeker in it and there’s 8 Yggdrasil roots in there relatively close by for easy tapping.

Fairly luxurious all told.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

joepinetree posted:

The other thing is that the mountain or the plains were really only endless corpse runs when you have prior biome gear on. If you are on the mountains with full wolf armor, or in the plains with full padded armor, you have a pretty decent fighting chance against whatever is there.

If you have full mage armor, you will get one shot by seeker soldiers. If you have full carapace armor you will get 2 shot. With the added penalty that seeker soldiers will knock you back constantly, so that if you are fighting them on one of the endless little islands, they will keep knocking you into the water and you will drown or not regen stamina. Or, worse yet, you'll get destroyed on your boat between the billion little islands (if you are sailing and ticks aggro on you but can't get to you, they will attack your boat from under the water so you can't attack them from inside the boat).

If you’re wearing full mage armor you should probably be running staff of protection at all times which can soak seeker soldier swings no problem. If you’re in Carapace armor and doing more of a warrior build, seeker soldiers are easiest to handle by just javelin tossing at their joints or arbalesting them.

Seeker Soldiers are slow as anything and regularly tar pit themselves by doing their tantrum attack. Respond accordingly.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Sixto Lezcano posted:

Yeah our server has found a few large areas without mist and they look INCREDIBLE. These magnificent views of jutting rock and bright green trees. I dig the biome as it is but it really feels like a missed opportunity to pull back the curtain and show the beauty of an area that is initially so brutal. Let us upgrade mistlights and build mistwards so we can carve out these beautiful sections of the nightmare.

This already exists btw. Wisp torches act as stationary 'permanent' mist clearers.

It's a deliberate design choice that wisp torches don't need a workbench. You're supposed to build them on the go to carve paths.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Dec 31, 2022

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

queeb posted:

wow i finally gave an atgier a try and man, these are good

The spin attack does a perplexingly enormous amount of impact. Stagger a Lox in one spin? Yeah sure why not.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

If you have surplus dwarf towers or infested mines you can bring along a stonecutter and just rip them down. There's several hundred marble in each one. It does leave a hideous scar on the landscape so don't do it anywhere you go often.

Yeah this is what my playgroup did to fund our overly ambitious build. We enacted Operation Locust where we just rolled as a crew dropping stonecutters and workbenches and torn down an entire continent and a half worth of Dvergr structures. Many thousands of black marble.

Tear that poo poo down like you’re a British man who needs fencing for your sheep and all you’ve got is highly pillagable Roman ruins.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

They are? ashlands already exists in the south of the map.

I imagine you wouldn't want any wood structures down there, probably stone only.

I think they mean they want more variety in the current pre Ashlands biomes but

That’s clearly not the design intent so it’s a futile request.

Meadows, Black Forest, Swamp, Mountain and Plains are all very clearly feature complete in terms of the depth the game aspires to achieve.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Did they buff Yag at some point? I remember him being trivial, you could face-tank him if you wanted to

Face tanking Yag will get you killed in a hurry for like, at least three different reasons. So I'm gonna go with yes.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Kanos posted:

I love Valheim to pieces but the game absolutely does have a huge grind attached to it. Skills take absolutely forever to level up(and dying crushes them into the dirt), upgrading weapons/armor to higher tiers requires a shitload of resources that frequently need to be shipped long distances via boat, farming and herding animals is incredibly tedious but extremely rewarding(not as apparent solo, but supplying 4-5 people becomes an irritating level of logistics).

Yeah you can get through a significant chunk of the game by slapping on some troll armor and making a single iron weapon to carry you until you're farming silver and living off the bare minimum of food quality, but that sort of presupposes you know what you're doing and you're already very comfortable with the combat and what the game is going to throw at you in each area. The difference in raw power between a player who did all the grinding and has good weapon skill and upgraded weapons/armor/good food vs a player running the bare minimum is enormous.

It’s because, quite simply, Valheim isn’t meant to be played solo. You can if you’re the type with a super high grind tolerance! It can be done! But Valheim functions exponentially better as a cooperative game with division of labor between your little viking clan.

Which is gonna lead to some pretty disparate experiences between the friendhavers and not.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

A slightly larger radius on the wisp would be nice but other than that I wouldn’t change a thing. Mistlands is cool and I hope Ashlands is as hostile to life or moreso.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Full iron gear is for absolute suckers. Get some weapons and some Root armor and move on. Root armor is basically the best armor in the game until Mistlands anywho.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

rjmccall posted:

They also effectively drop a “class” in the plains by not having a light armor set, despite lox hide existing and having almost no uses. My second character actually just went through this transition; you feel soooo sloooowww going from Fenris armor to padded.

There’s no light armor in the plains because both of the previous light sets are better than padded armor :v:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Hasselblad posted:

Just going to assume everything I view on the valheim reddit is built in ultra soft core mode after that patch.
I know that mods and dev commands exist, but that looks to be the final nail in the integrity coffin of the game.

Get a new brain, this one is clearly full of worms.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

I don't think anyone ever thought the game's future was "up in the air". There were a couple of goons insinuating that the devs were lazy and scammers, maybe they did. That's what the arguments seemed to be about.

Nah. That the game’s future was up in the air is a pretty uncontroversial take. The laziness argument was always dumb but there was always grounds to doubt on the basis of them being an absolutely tiny studio.

Fortunately things are looking up. The Mistlands are a worthy successor to the best biome in the game, the Swamp.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Spear fucks for a lot of content but when mace is better it's overwhelmingly better.

S'why I tend to carry both.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Atgeirs are grossly overpowered because their spin attack does infinity stagger damage

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Mistwalker doing frost damage is relevant both because of exploiting the wet status and because basically all the enemies in Mistlands resist physical damage types.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

rjmccall posted:

I can see that. I guess I just take it as discouraging cart use — the biome is rough for carts anyway because you blow through pickaxes pretty quickly in crypts (so you’re going back to town anyway) and find yourself suddenly fighting a lot (and really need freedom of movement when you do). I probably just don’t use the cart as much as I should, though — I end up spending a lot longer making nice cart paths than I’m ever going to save actually using them.

As someone who typically plays 3-4 player, the intuitive way to tackle swamp for us was always one person on cart, one person hoe-ing a path, one person keeping an eye out and defending.

You blow through 6-8 crypts in no time like that.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Spear all the way. With a back up club for the swamp.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

bird food bathtub posted:

Still wild to me that a major new game mechanic and playstyle, magic, is introduced so late in the game.

I kinda like it. It makes it feel like a steady climb to the limits of mortal ability, and then beyond. More momentous that way.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

It doesn’t help the skill loss situation that skill gain is absolutely glacial.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Bisse posted:

One thing with this slow drip of new biomes, is the release format kind of forces the next biome to be harder than the previous otherwise people will just breeze through it with their high level characters, but that also forces the entire game into a kind of fixed progression through the zones. Which I feel is a bit of a shame, since the world is so vast and exciting, you should be able to move to some other exciting place and make progress if you get bored. Like I don't mind needing to kill bosses in a fixed order, but vital upgrade stuff is also locked behind the bosses so there is literally no point for me to go to plains or mountains before dredging through the swamps.

Also swamps suck. gently caress the swamps. Mountains and plains are so great, wanna just get there instead. Wish the swamps were just an optional side area with cool gear.

I’ll be real, I don’t really see anything that indicates the game wasn’t always imagined as a fixed progression through biomes. That’s how it worked at launch too pretty much.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Majik Ninja posted:

I like the game's procedural world generation. It's rare to find a game where the landscapes not only look good but also feel natural and immersive.
The sense of progression in Valheim is excellent. Starting out as a humble Viking with nothing but a stone axe and gradually building up your arsenal and base feels incredibly rewarding.
I don't like their servers because they often lag. The host must always be logged in for others to play, and everybody needs to be re-invited. So, my friends and I got this Valheim private server. And it's so much better. It's made our multiplayer sessions much easier to enjoy. We can focus on the adventure without any technical headaches.

Listen, I'm not saying they aren't good, but it is impressive how you managed to sound exactly like a commercial in this post.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Slow News Day posted:

Still no Ashlands huh? How long has it been now? What a joke.

A year and three months. Which is about what I would have expected tbh.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I want to click on the spoilers very badly but I learned my lesson on Mistlands. Even the small slice of spoilers I had on that I regretted. If they’re gonna go nuts even half as much as Mistlands I want to be surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Zodium posted:

really glad to hear that. between the visibility, the high fantasy elements and the enemies, I liked almost nothing about mistlands except building stuff and the cloak. and the dwarves.

You're still gonna be disappointed on the high fantasy side because the entire idea is that Mistlands, Ashlands, and Deep North are escalatingly high fantasy.