Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I really want an item that lets you summon an enemy invasion on demand. Sometimes you just wanna blast some poo poo with the boys and test out those new base defenses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Do you ever get a use for the piles and piles of creature trophies you inevitably build up? Would be cool if there was a mercenary merchant or something that would trade some resource or currency for them.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Any small hints at when you unlock more of the stone based building materials? My group just killed the second boss, but have not progressed to what seems to be the next logical biome yet. Having tons of fun building, but if stone buildings are coming soon I’ll chill for a bit so I can do that.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

dialhforhero posted:

I can’t be alone when I say there in a ton about this game that reminds me of 1999 Everquest and discovering the world. That feeling...

It’s obviously a very different type of game, but I get huge morrowind vibes. There are some very specific things that make me feel that, like the atmosphere of the burial chambers, but in general it’s really just that feeling of a unique and interesting open world.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Big props to whoever was suggesting to take a “raze the land” approach to the swamps. Even though we’re mostly kitted out with near-max bronze, our group got absolutely smashed in our initial forays. Only a few deaths, but lots of “oh gently caress I’m out of food/gear/health” and running away from things.

It’s a really interesting design decision to make the zone explicitly punish the strategy of “kite it and shoot arrows at it” that absolutely dominates the two preceding biomes. Trying to do this without having prepared the area by cutting trees and hoe’ing our shallow water lead to us having a very bad time. However, once you take the time to clear the trees and swamps, it becomes so much easier to position in and deal with the mobs.

Is there any trick to finding crypts? Like with burial chambers in the Black Forest, you can generally tell they’re around by the presence of skeletons. We have not been able to find one yet, and we’re definitely thirsty for it looking at the sweet iron tech (along with the insanely high resource costs, compared to bronze)

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

mastershakeman posted:

wow, crazy bug. took about 110 iron home to my main base in a karve, feeling proud, then dicked around forever doing the upgrades to the forge and playing with stone construction to make a tower for no reason

noticed that my swamp forward outpost was under attack, portaled through and...nothing loads. just a portal, nothing else. no trees, no monsters, nothing. just a big circle of red

tried my other portal, same issue. weird. everything fine once i relogged, although i did lose 10 copper/25 fine wood i'd just spent to move a forge item around

question re cheat commands: i can't get them to work on my dedicated server, and when i try in single player i get 'missing object' when trying to spawn copper or finewood. i know i've had copper in my single player game, what gives

Wait, you can get events at bases you are not currently at?

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I’m ok with torches needing a resource to burn, I just wish there was some way to say “allocate resources from xyz chests to fuel torches” and have to run around manually filling them.

That opens a whole rabbit hole though of requiring a UI to define which chests are a target for auto-allocating resources, as it would suck even more to discover I’m out of resin because my torches burned through all the stock in my base.

I’d settle for a happy medium or torches lasting forever, but taking significantly more resources to build.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I get real sick of the constant greydwarves when I'm trying to just chill and build poo poo, but at the same time there's nothing funnier to me than clubbing a greyling and launching it like 30m down a hill

I switched to the pole arm/halberd for my primary weapon because it’s super satisfying to round up as many of the fuckers as you can and pop them all with one spin attack

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Man I’m getting jealous of some of these screenshots of swamps with tons and tons of crypts. I’ve spent 3 or 4 sessions now scouting for swamps, and have found a total of one crypt, which had ~50 iron in it.

How painful are the sea serpents in a karve? Would a couple of dudes with max finewood bows be able to deal with it, or is it just a “whoops your dead and your items are in the middle of the ocean” sort of thing? I think the next step to fix our swamp problem is to just go costal raiding (as opposed to slowly spreading out and checking full islands at a time) but my big concern is that we lose a bunch of poo poo in a hard to reach spot.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
^^^ Also you don’t get the final upgrade until after you can craft + upgrade your bronze or iron, so you do start to see a pretty significant gap between troll and bronze/iron. I’m not sure how much it matters, as even through the swamp I have yet to meet something that can’t get killed with 4-5 arrows max while kiting backwards.

Man I wish I started planting trees sooner. Planting a big rear end array of beech trees close by to your base and then first cutting them down, then breaking down the logs, makes it possible to fill a cart on <1 elder buff.

Cutting down all the actual trees causes a lot of collateral damage, so half the trees will knock themselves over/break up the logs themselves.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

toasterwarrior posted:

Swamps needing to have crypts (which then have a variable amount of iron in them) to even be worth delving into is the issue, IMO. Most Black Forest biomes I've seen are very generous with copper and tin; I can't say the same for swamps and that's not good when iron is probably the most widely used metal in the game. Like I mentioned before, it's probably best to have like guaranteed iron veins or whatever in the mountains so that you can have multiple reliable sources to consider.

I think this is my big problem with it. The Black Forest feels like it takes a while to conquer and has lots to offer - trolls, burial chambers, ores, tons of good stuff to forage. There are lots of reasons to be in the biome and there’s pretty distinct progression there.

Then you get to the swamps, and it feels like it’s literally just iron. And so many of the generated zones don’t have crypts. Sure there’s some other good stuff to craft with, but you kind of end up with piles of it from clearing crypts anyways.

There’s a lot that the swamps do right, and I really enjoy the oppressive atmosphere and biome design, but it feels like it needs a second material for weapons/armor or something. Some changes to the overall generation leading to larger swamps with more crypts would help too.

Ravenfood posted:

Where the gently caress can I find more burial crypts for Surtling cores? There seem to be none at all in several of these black forest biomes.

Look around anywhere you see skeletons that isn’t one of those stone tower spawns - sometimes they are hard to spot if they’re the low/small cave ones, but I think that is the only other spawn source of skeletons in the forest.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Is max iron helmet and boots, max bronze chest armor, a bunch of good stews and sausage, frost resist meads, and a level 3 iron bow enough to go into the mountains without getting blasted? The goal would be to get stuff to make frost arrows for bonemass.

Playing with a group and we haven’t beat bone mass yet (really cool to have a boss basically immune to all but one damage type, we don’t feel like grinding out a bunch of iron maces when we’ve had slow enough luck with crypts that it’s taken a long time to get iron gear situated) but feel functionally done with the swamp. 30 iron for huntsman 3->4 doesn’t feel worth it, and neither does upgrading the iron pole arm that I basically just use to spin2win on weak enemies and would never be something that I prioritize over a bow when I need to kill something fast.

OwlFancier posted:

I do collect a fair bit of resources I just do it by going out and filling an inventory. Having the belt is a big help which you can get quite easily with just bronze tier tomb loot, provided you find the merchant. But every time I tried to use the cart I found it faster to just do a couple of inventory filled runs because it's a big pain to move it over rough terrain, if you had a group I can see it being better because you could have other people to do the fighting for you but trying to manage the cart, fighting stuff off, and collect all at the same time is more trouble than it's worth. Even if you have to row against the wind it's still faster than dragging the cart, and I only do that for metal anyway and swamps are basically designed to be reached by boat because they're all sea level and you can scout for tombs from the coast, mountains I can't even begin to imagine trying to navigate with the cart, and forests are still very awkward just with the trees and rocks everywhere and endless hordes of gribblers pouring out of every hole in the dirt to take a swing at it. For anything other than metal I just portal there, I already have outposts in a bunch of biomes so I just go to the forest portal and make it not forest if I want wood.

Plus even if I do use the cart I still have to do multiple trips through the portal at the other end so it's still a faff. I dunno, I would probably like it if it functioned like a mobile workbench/stonecutter, or if it let you draw resources from it to build, might be useful as a mobile building aid.

Also let me stuff carts through portals or something, or at least the resources.

IMO this is the only way to farm plain wood - it requires minimal setup and is actually really satisfying and incredibly efficient.

Pick whatever meadows base you have closest to a portal and get your hoe. Make a 1 “flatten” wide path about 400m out your main gate and going down the flattest section.

Go down the path far enough from your base that falling trees won’t hit buildings. Take all those dumb beech seeds that you inevitably have laying around and plant rows of trees until you get bored of it, but at least 100+. Plant them as tightly together as you can, it seems kinda buggy and I’ve noticed that planted trees that say “needs more space” will sometimes grow anyways.

Once they grow, take your cart down the road and park it as close as you can get it to your free farm without it being at risk of a bunch of trees hitting it.

Pop elder and start cutting down the trees, starting with the outer most edges. Don’t chop up logs until all the trees you planted are knocked down. Since you planted poo poo so close together, it will be one insane laggy domino effect with a net result of tons of saved work because you don’t need to chop chop chop.

Doing this is a bit of prep work, but the end result is filling a full cart full of wood in like 10 mins and only 1 axe repair with a bronze axe. Using a cart is 100% required - you’re not taking it far, but it saves you so much time of running back and forth with a full inventory.

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Mar 7, 2021

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Broken Cog posted:

Hopefully they add more alternative armors in the future, but for now there's only the troll set.

This is what the swamp needs to help it not feel like “crypt/iron RNG shotgun.” Draugrs look kinda leathery, make them drop some poo poo that I can use to make a tunic and cape.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Furism posted:

A friend gave me his old sweaty Wolf armor and Silver sword + shield so I kinda leapfrogged a lot of stuff in the swamp and mountain. I went straight for crypts / dragon eggs and killed Bonemass and Moder tonight.

Bonemass is just a HP sack not really interesting. I hope they adjust the amount of HP depending on the amount of players in the vicinity (like they add or remove the boss trophies). There's really no reason I should spend 200 arrows on a boss from a perch. I know this is early access but the bosses are kind of... not fun.

The swamp can eat dicks (blobs are just annoying) but I really dig the mountains (sometimes literally, heehee). The blizzard/snow storm casts a really good ambiance.

Seems like with the Artisan's table I got a shitload of new crafting to do and head for the mountains. I have yet to buy anything from the merchant, I'm waiting to have 999/999 gp to visit him. What are the must have items?

There’s a belt that increases carry weight as the only real “must have”. Fishing rod is a fun gimmick but it’s not a very efficient way to farm food. There’s also a headlamp which is pretty neat and I found it to be helpful in the swamps when I was doing mass earth flattening.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

bus hustler posted:

I mean I wasn't trying to make a bold claim about bonemass, sure you can go right to iron. That hasn't worked for out game (haven't found any iron) but sure that's totally intended. Mostly just saying that Bronze is in a very weird place, and isn't needed for the 2nd boss and can be skipped right to iron.

The point is that bronze armor sucks AND is a jump in tedium, especially before you can carry a lot. It triples the time you are standing around smelting, and it also triples the amount of coal you need. These are not as disputable as people are making them. I absolutely refuse to have someone tell me with a straight face that they love standing around for tin and copper to smelt 1 at a time, max 10 stack.

No, finding bronze tedious isn't because of my "actual traveling" which I don't even understand - we are all on different maps. It's a massive jump in tedium and chores for a skippable, unnecessary tier of armor.

My initial post was someone saying they hadn't fought the 2nd boss because they were farming up Bronze, and I basically said "hey you don't need to do that, it's tedious and you can jump right to iron for the 3rd." That's it, that's the post. I am not insulting your fun for feeling that way.

This is all assuming you have decent iron access though - we used the hell out of bronze armor on my server because it’s not all that much worse than iron, and much easier to brute force. We were very unlucky with crypt spawns, and had the existing infrastructure to take 3 dudes and slam a cart full of copper/ton into a forge much more easily than transporting a full crafting station to each and every swamp we found. We did this a bit, but just enough to get weapons.

It’s somewhat tedious to smelt, but by this point you should also have a surplus of cores and can just slap down a tree farm + a few kilns and pump out more coal than you would ever need.

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 9, 2021

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Every time I’ve gotten raided my first reaction has been immediately to run outside the base and start kiting poo poo away from the walls. Building maintenance is annoying and I’d rather die outside the walls and just do the short run back than let a troll or a few goblins smash exterior walls and start tearing up useful stuff.

I like the events, I wish there was a way to spawn them on demand, maybe with modifiable difficulty. Would be fun to spawn all 2* greydwarf raids just for the sake of playing tower defense (and to farm some resin)

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I completely missed the pop up for portals holy poo poo, I had no idea these existed.

These will basically be your defacto mode of transportation - they’re pretty cheap so you can place them loving EVERYWHERE. On my server we use two sets of organization for portals - static portals in a hub for long-term destinations like outposts, and then a “floating” portal that we use a tag system (ie. Post a bunch of signs and write down whatever the tag is for the portal you dropped) for more temporary or functional locations.

This significantly cuts down on the travel time - unless you need to get ore back to where you started, you just slap down incremental portals to remove the need for a return journey. This is also why localized smelting/crafting hubs are so good, as they remove the need to ship a bunch of ores back to main.

The only problem there is they introduce a bunch of new requirements, like finding well balanced locations that have access to a variety of nearby biomes to get lower-ores. With my seed, iron continues to bone me here, so I have chosen to have that be the one ore that I “cheat” by transporting with non-official methods (mostly server swapping). With everything else I still find it manageable/enjoyable to solve the logistics problems, since all other resources seem to be much more abundant than iron.

Jarmak posted:

(edit: and super makes me want to be able to make a workbench that I can drag around like a cart. They should let you give up all/most of the storage space on a cart in exchange for fitting a crafting station into it. I do actually enjoy the whole crafting station radius thing because it while it has it's flaws it is a reasonably good abstraction of the logistics needed for the tools and support materials a building project needs, but I think a cart would maintain that well while fixing some of the more annoying edge cases like building torches on a road.)

Some sort of upgrade path to carts that adds that functionality would be awesome! I’d also love if you could make super-expensive end game portals that allow transport of a specific ore or bar - like make 2x portals with 50 bronze each and you can portal tin and copper through it. It would require that you get a good chunk of the ore to each target destination, but ease up some of the logistical burden.

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 10, 2021

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

OwlFancier posted:

The fishing rod literally just hooks fish and pulls them towards you so you can grab them, so anything you can to to get the fish closer to you, or you closer to the fish, will help. So I find fishing off a pier to be easier.

I wonder if you could make a fish trap that forces them to get stuck in an encircled or shallow water, allowing you to hop in and harvest them all up

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Nighthand posted:

I kinda lost some steam in this game, and it's partially because both of my play groups have mostly insisted on keeping one centralized base in the Meadows (near spawn), so the trek to haul ores back is insanely tedious, especially when trying to gear out 5+ people.

I kind of wish Moder was earlier in the progression, maybe third instead of fourth, just to get the Moder Boat earlier. The biggest source of frustration is just how it feels inevitable that every time we have a long sailing journey to do, 95% of it will be against the wind.

I like keeping a “main” meadows base, and it’s really useful for large scale storage and production of anything that can get portaled, but you’re doing yourself a huge disservice if you’re not setting up local crafting/forging/smelting operations.

Haul out some copper, bronze, and iron when you first put it down so you can build crafting tables plus upgrades, then just upgrade and build ore-items there. It doesn’t need to be some huge base, most of our crafting outposts are literally just a portal, a few chests, crafting table forge + upgrades, and smelter surrounded by log walls.

As frustrating as it was finding good iron sources, it forced us to take this approach and it has turned out to be super useful now that we’re getting into silver. There are plenty of plains nearby too, so I expect we will be able to continue their usage through future biomes.

Inzombiac posted:

I'm 80 hours in, second character, gearing up for the fourth boss.

I get essentially infinite joy from games like this because I can just enter debug mode and play viking LEGO. I like all aspects of the game but mostly care about designing cool buildings.

This has been my approach for sure. Wander around for a bit until I get bored of that. Do maintenance/cooking/farming/gathering for a bit until I get bored of that. Spend some time building some cool house or tower or whatever, and by this time I’m usually ready to go explore poo poo and start the loop over again.

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 11, 2021

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Going to be interesting to see how they roll out new content. I think they should definitely focus on it because I can see a lot of folks dropping off hard once they near the current “top tier” if they are not engaged in the building.

Adding new biomes will be difficult, since they will be played out so fast if they release them 1 by 1. With that said, I definitely hope it’s something they prioritize, because as I start to approach the 5th biome I definitely don’t want the exploration to stop.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

mastershakeman posted:

whats the shelf stack technique you're discussing? just jamming 1x1s into the terrain to use as anchor points?

also whats the best way to get chain for a black shield? just figure ill come across it when in crypts for more iron? i ran around a swamp all night and couldn't find any wraiths

Clearing crypts seems to be the way to go. I think they have a small chance of dropping from some swamp mobs, but you encounter all of those in crypts + chests with chain spawns along with iron.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Definitely the axe for finewood. I got by mining copper with the bone pick and a repair workbench and held out for an iron pick, which (similar to the bronze axe) acts as an explicit material-gathering gate.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Bioshuffle posted:

Thanks for the tips! Made myself a bronze axe and crafted myself a cart. Any tips for making a cart highway through hilly terrain? I'm having a hell of a time trying to make a smooth path that can navigate those hills.

I spent all day yesterday making a fence perimeter around my harbor base, but I didn't realize they can simply go around the damned thing by getting into the water. Maybe I can just make an artificial hill to keep them out?

This is a good game.

Flatten ground in the uphill direction when you use the hoe

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

LLSix posted:

Anyone got farming tips? Keeping the seeds far enough apart they all have room to grow and none are wasted is tricky. The game isn't great at this sort of precision placement. I wish it just didn't allow you to plant too close together.

The best I've come up with is alternating columns by half a row. That is, I place the plants in the second row are about a viking shoulder's width to the side and then placed midway between the rows to their right and left. Then the plants in the third column are placed half a row off-again, which is the same as being in the same rows as the first column. Having an extra set of seedlings to judge placement with helps me avoid drifting too far off from a straight line.

The torches help with night-time farming. Multiplayer server so I can't always just go to bed and wait for daylight.

Plant in long straight lines so you can just run forward while looking down and holding E to harvest. I found it pretty easy to eyeball the distance after doing it a few times.

Try to plant in as big of batches as you can, since you get more and more value out of committing to larger seed flips vs. constantly planting smaller batches.

I find that I’m limited on mushrooms and meat, so i tend to just flip seeds when I’m low on those sub components and do a big batch if I have surplus

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Wait you guys don’t mine next to a chest and a portal and just dump your ore then portal/repair/rest?

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Azhais posted:

Black forest at night is how you get thistle. Love that glow

Thistle always respawn in the same spot!

I took the advice earlier in the thread and started marking locations. I have one Forest area that has its initial objectives marked (dungeons, copper, etc) and a separate biome that’s just thistle and mushrooms marked in a loop. This lets me travel there and just run around guided by minimap dots and walk away with a full stack of each, which is super helpful for my pre-plains cooking menu.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

PittTheElder posted:

I'd be curious as to other peoples opinion on this, I found the exact opposite was true!

I found the mountains to be a breeze and the swamps are still somewhere I don’t enjoy trips to.

I think both cases come down to world-gen/seed RNG. On my map I had to deal with a ridiculous amount of expansion to find decent swamps that actually have crypts. Had plenty of mountains + veins really close by to the initial spawn.

Terrain and preparedness wise, both biomes are pretty similar, but mountains are a bit easier as the gear you craft with the biome ore will negate some of the negative status effects.

Mob difficulty wise, stuff in the mountains hits harder, but by this point in the game you should be very well equipped with gear and food so this should be a non-issue. Swamps are the same, but can be the first time you actually need to deal with these mechanics since the prior zones can all be trivialized by the pro gamer strat of “walk backwards and shoot arrows at it.” Honestly, swamps and mountains can too, but you need to deal with “ok I have enough food and armor so I won’t get 2 shot by a dragur bow man, and some status resistance so I don’t get poisoned to death if I accidentally step in a puddle and find a leech.”

I think the general biome ambience plays into this as well - swamps achieve their goal of feeling dark, claustrophobic, and oppressive. Mountains are rough in a snow storm, but you also get lots of nice sunny days with long open sight lines and nice views, which makes them more enjoyable to spend time in.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Made a composite of my map so far that I have been playing on. In terms of progression, this is right before killing the 4th boss. The mapping in this game is really neat, and definitely tells a story about how your group progressed through the tiers. Will be interesting to see how the currently unmapped/unexplored plains fill in - especially curious about the big rear end continent that runs from the north-western most explored territory down almost all the way to the fully explored areas in the middle.

I’ve been pretty happy with this seed - iron was a PITA, but each boss was on a new, but somewhat close by island, and forests, mountains, and plains seem to be plentiful and with good access to the first few iron/bronze processing satellite outposts we put down (near the elder, bonemass, and at a midpoint between the two).

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 16, 2021

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

WoodrowSkillson posted:

tbh they really could use a high level portal that can transport ore, or maybe even just the refined ingots. going sailing is fun af but it does get tedious. being able to set up a network of 2-3 bases with smelting capacity, and then 1 with the high level forge seems like a good compromise that might lessen the urge to just use the trick of server hopping.

It feels like they should have put the 4th boss ability earlier, maybe from the second boss. I think this would go a long way to ease the mid game bottlenecks around iron + the tedious logistics to make it work out depending on your seed.

I absolutely love sailing, but what I don’t love is sitting and waiting for the wind to turn so I can actually transport these 10 copper bars or whatever I need to upgrade crafting stations to the island that’s only plains and swamps where I want to craft iron.

This is definitely where the game progression feels like it is a bit “early access-y”. Would not be surprised at all if there was supposed to be another biome with iron somewhere between the swamps and plains that got cut.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

xzzy posted:

If they ever do an overhaul of the game systems I'd like to see them do looping tiers of enemies and armor tiers. Like as you push further from the center of the world you unlock Black Forest mark 2 with Red Trolls that hit harder than furlings, but you need to get to the sweet Copper 2 veins in that area. And after you work through Iron 2 and Silver 2 and Black Ore 2 you loop around again to Copper 3.

Or if everyone hates that, some kind of system that motivates people to keep pushing further out into the world and finding new stuff to conquer.

I really like this idea and think it sounds like a fun way to extend some of the current content that isn’t super heavy in terms of requiring additional design time and assets.

“Copper but better” sounds kind of meh but I’d be happy to see extended progression, and ideally they could have alternate armor sets. Maybe a cool bone set (bone + bronze) from the elite Black Forest, Dragur armor (iron+entrails?) from the swamp, obsidian armor (silver + obsidian) from the mountains, and black metal plate (black metal + needles or some poo poo) from the plains.

You could even just have it use the normal biome materials + some new widget/crafting ingredient that you add only to the drop tables for high tier zones.

gently caress it, even if it didn’t have new gear I’d love zones that are “Black Forest/Swamp/whatever but harder - but every time you gather an ore or resource node it drops twice the mats and everything hits 5x as hard.” It would give you a reason to explore the world more post-plains and provide something fun to do.

It’s definitely a bummer how fast combat gets trivialized currently- it feels like by the time you have a basic set from your current biome you absolutely dominate everything, and going back to other biomes is a total joke. On one hand I can appreciate the power curve + really getting to master poo poo that was at one time dangerous, but it makes it uninteresting to fight mobs from older biomes when they server absolutely no threat.

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 20, 2021

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Run/jump and a handful of other skills aside, it’s mostly jus my bigger damage numbers and better armor rating, and it scales in a way that completely trivializes content

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Floppychop posted:

I'd say troll and bronze armor are sidegrades from each other.

This is a great example, and definitely something I wish there was more of in the game. I can’t imagine that they just randomly implemented this one instance of “cool alternate medium armor set that trades armor value for move speed and an interesting set bonus”, and this is just a case of the game being early access.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

rydiafan posted:

So I got tired of nobody in my crew knowing where to put anything, remembering where they put it, or being able to figure out where other people put it, so I went full OCD.

I built a storehouse for materials, and organized everything into labeled chests arranged by category.

Starting on the left with treasures/misc, then construction materials, then food ingredients, then inedible animal parts.

Ore, processed metals, and barley/flour stay conveniently by their processing stations.

Finished products are also sorted for easy access by everybody.

They’ll still put them in the wrong chests - leave a few carts around high traffic areas and instruct people to drop items in there if they don’t want to sort. Then, someone more detailed focused can come along later and put it in its respective storage chest.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
It’s kinda mind boggling that they chose the swamps, the most tedious to farm region, to be the home of the big throwback ore that you end up needing all game long (at least as currently implemented).

The mountains are such a cool, atmospheric biome that is totally underused. Sprinting and jumping straight up literal cliff faces in the middle of a blizzard is one of the most badass things you do in this game, but I guess I’m going to have to clear out yet another crypt while I get mobbed by a bunch of dragur and skeletons that do zero damage to me.

For me, this point in the game is definitely where the reality of “drat this game is still early access as hell” kicked in. As great as the whole experience is, this is one of the prime things that leads to the feeling of “I don’t think this is poorly designed, it just screams that there is missing content that is supposed to make this not as tedious as it currently is”

xzzy posted:

Yeah, it's something. Come back when you have a wishbone.

Definitely don’t do this, because by the time you have a wishbone you definitely don’t need some coins and bone fragments. This is another area that screams early access - why am I still getting coins from goblins after clearing swamps for the last 20 hours? By this point the trader is obsolete, so it’s weird that they chose to put what is functionally a dead item on “late game” content

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Mar 23, 2021

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
While on some levels I get wanting to preserve their vision for the game or their artistic integrity or whatever, I think you need to put a bit more effort into changing course when your game absolutely blows up overnight. The fact that it’s a unity game that has already seen a huge amount of community mod support points to it not actually being that difficult to add new things.

The game has no micro transactions, so there’s really no incentive for them to maintain players, but I expect to see the game get left behind pretty quickly and build up some negative sentiment if their approach to content drops is “well we fixed comfort calculations and then for our first big content release we added some new statues and food recipes”.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Woden posted:

You can still farm coal using a very similar technique, maybe the nerf is just the devs going too hard on boss exploits and it having some unintended consequences.

Why would boss exploits even be a priority? Can’t I just build a tower out of their reach for like 3/5 bosses anyways? This + the console changes just feel like a real weird place to spend cycles for a game that desperately needs content in multiple big ways.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Unless you’re literally dying in the meadows somehow you have no excuse to ever be more than a 60 second run from a portal

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I think you take frost damage in the cold when wet regardless of if you have resist from meads or gear (or both)

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

litany of gulps posted:

Am I crazy or is the Eikthyr power clearly the best of them by far? Bonemass on paper seems great, but combat death comes so quickly that it usually isn't relevant. Its a mosquito catching you with low food or a random fuling swing on your back by surprise. Maybe for a boss fight I'd prime that, but it isn't practical for regular adventuring. The Elder power is idiotic and pointless. Eikthyr power is always relevant and always useful.

Elder is crazy good. If you ever plan to do any medium or large scale building, you will need enough wood at one time that the most efficient way to get it is to grow like 200 beech trees, pop elder, and mow then down.

Moder is also very good, especially when you have a few people with it active and can get 75% or 100% uptime on it, which makes it very easy to scoot around in a longship.

Gazaar posted:

Unironically staying full of my best food while doing busy work. Cause I can and it keeps numbers from go bad.

I’ll go 2/3 “good food” in these scenarios, which normally works out to turnip stew, bread, and honey. If I’m in combat or doing anything that requires a bunch of running around, I’ll swap the honey out for a lox pie/fish wraps. I’ve found this to be a pretty maintainable food rotation - honey and bread are basically free, turnip stew is easier than having to farm thistle/entrails for sausage or mushrooms for carrot soup, and lox pie/fish wraps are basically 1 ingredient dishes for huge stats.

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Mar 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I’m glad the dev that doesn’t like portals didn’t get his way because this game would be unplayable without them