Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

punishedkissinger posted:

how does Odin feel about us focusing on architecture instead of glorious battle?

We are fighting the honorable battle against gravity and stability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

We definitely need bigger gates so we can close the doors to our harbors and keep out the swimmers. Or dinghies so we can park our boats far enough out the mobs can't reach them I guess.

It's not made of anything mobs like to attack, so unless someone kites a troll into it or something it should be fine. All the rain does is give it a nice "aged" look, really.

I'm definitely hoping they expand what boats can be used for and basically everything else boat/water in the future. Changing the water physics to work differently depending on if there's anything between the shore and the open water is probably really tricky but I want to build my own protected harbour.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

xzzy posted:

gently caress safety equipment

https://i.imgur.com/vUN1Bbl.mp4

Viking OHSA doesn't require scaffolding but it does require hearty meals at all times. Pay your fine to Odin :colbert:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Qubee posted:

I love the adventure playing with friends provides, but the fact we're all required to grind the same stuff makes progression a ballache and kills the atmosphere. When you're on a server with friends but everyone's off doing their own thing to grind up new gear, it quickly starts to feel lonely. The alternative is to grind together, but then you run into the issue of "what's fair". If one guy is doing most of the work when it comes to mining, the lion's share of the loot should go to him, but then waiting on the smelters to make the ingots, it quickly becomes a huge timesink trying to kit up your team of three.

I've started playing solo on my own world just to grind mats. Does anyone have a solution to this that'd make grinding with friends equally rewarding?

Might I interest you in the word of Marx?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I like how 7 Days to Die handles its death penalty. Besides losing equipment you don't lose any actual experience on death but you get an experience deficit you need to regain before you can get real experience points again.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If there aren't nude mods for Valheim somewhere on the internet already I'm going to be very disappointed.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

padijun posted:

I geared to the teeth for the swamp, full bronze gear at level 3, a bunch of food, the key the elder dropped, 200 fire arrows, etc.

so it turns out "the swamp" I found was a basically a small beach not connected to anything else I can see lol. should have brought the ingredients for a raft instead

lol yeah this kind of thing crops up every now and then. I've passed by multiple "plains" that are basically just a tiny strip of land on the edge of a black forest or swamp while I sail around.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I guess I've been completely ignoring roundpole fences as a decorative item until now but do they not snap together?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

They do not.

That's weird!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

My buddy and I have finally moved onto the plains and found a group of 3 stone pillars far away from any villages and close to the shore which are probably/hopefully close enough together to connect 3 stone-top bases between. One of them might be a bit too far away from the other two for a skybridge but even if it is that one is also really close a mountain so we can have a stone pillar base combined with a mountain fortress and then just a stones throw behind it a 2 pillar base. If we can connect to the third from the other two (and work our way through actually building on those) it will be a true citadel.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Speaking of using trees as foundations do the branches interact with anything or are they just for looks?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Scruffpuff posted:

Are there any other games out there that scratch the particular itch Valheim does for me? I've tried quite a few, but as good as many of them are, they're each missing something I like, or have something I don't care for.

xzzy posted:

7 days to die is somewhat close, at least early on in their development it was. A couple years ago it was a pretty chill build an invincible base type game, and you were always nervous about going out to explore.

Then the developers went full on dark souls and turned everything into instant death and locked progression to a pretty narrow path. I think that original fun is still there but you're going to have to look in to modding it (and scrolling past hundreds of posts of people arguing about how it's SUPPOSED to be hard).

I played 7 Days for a while recently and nothing felt like instant death. You can adjust the difficulty in a variety of ways to make it as easy or as hard as you want. The issue compared to Valheim would be that a) the look of world is comparatively pretty boring and eventually becomes repetitive and b) it takes a lot longer to get to the various "progression" points. Point A is probably going to be the biggest turn off honestly - eventually every house, factory, warehouse, shop, city, or whatever looks the same (because they are the same as the last one).

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

So my friend and I are building one of those Plains rock spire citadels and are putting together a foundation for one of the towers. I started building a stone floor because we want to put smelting and such in it and while supporting the slabs with a lattice of core wood beams worked for some horizontal distance eventually they started breaking immediately even when on top of the beams. Anyone ever tried doing anything like that? Is there some kind of minimum stability stone has to be sitting on to stay intact?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

plester1 posted:

As a matter of fact, every material has a minimum and maximum support value, as well as modifiers for vertical and horizontal stacking.

https://valheim.fandom.com/wiki/Building_Stability

So I think you said yes? :v:

So if I’m reading this right a material will provide X support/stability and will lose a multiplier of that X as you go up or out without attachment to the ground or other game feature.

So I guess the answer is, like everything ambitious building-wise, more ironwood. Or at least a decent size core of it jutting out from the spire to attach logs to.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Heffer posted:

Here's a visual guide. You can see how you trade horizontal width for vertical width with ironwood, and how you can go 8 high with stone but only 1 or 2 wide because it has low horizontal support.

I guess the question I have for this picture is if that is the furthest you can extend stone horizontally no matter what?

If I’m reading that link properly stone needs to be supported by something that is providing a minimum of 100 stability and anything lower will cause the stone to collapse. Ironwood provides 1500 stability if attached to ground and loses 1/13 of max? stability for every 1 meter horizontal section not attached to ground. So if I build out two 12 meter long rows of ironwood the 12th beams will be providing 115 stability or just enough to support a stone floor? Math being 1500 - (1500*(12/13)).

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Plastik posted:

As promised, pics of the sky-high stone circle.

This is my stone circle in the sky. It is entirely supported by a web of Ironwood, and entirely laterally.

There is wood below, but it is merely a scaffold to stop pieces from falling when I break things during construction. The Logs are holding the floor up by the roof, not the other way 'round.

How high is it? So high. Here you can also see a corner of the grid that supports the stone.

I tried to upload two images of just the grid, but Imgur REALLY doesn't want to upload them.

Neat, though not as ambitiously high that is basically what I was looking to do for the floor. Does having the stone slabs between the ironwood, rather than being on top, make any difference to stability or does that just come down to looks?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

They should just delete the combat and make bosses a building competition with the gods.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Heffer posted:

I wouldn't hate using my excess gold coins to construct piles of gold. Would add some luxury to my throne room

That's the best idea I've heard about literally anything in months.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ornery and Hornery posted:

1. How does parrying work? I can’t seem to do it although I’ve only ever had the tower shield.

2. How do you level the land? I can’t ever seem to get a large area to be equally flat.

A shield will have a "parry power" stat or something if it can parry attacks. If it doesn't have that you can't parry with it. As for actually parrying, if it was ever in doubt, you hit block just as the attack lands. This also works for ranged attacks like rocks and arrows so in that case just assume that whatever threw the thing you just blocked is so amazed they were momentarily stunned.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Do you think that guy actually meant chasing a deer around the woods for hours?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Bioshuffle posted:

I just carted back a few stacks of silver. What's the best way to get my bang for the buck in terms of silver? I see that the armor is frost resistant. Does that mean I won't need frost resist potions anymore?

As long as you're not wet you won't need the potions.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The wolf cape also comes with a new friend on your shoulder to talk to.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

This is just the two worlds I’ve seen so I don’t know if it’s generally possible but I feel it was far faster and/or less stressful to mine enough copper/tin to build a karve and then find the copper close enough to shore to just run back and forth between it and the boat. Yes there’s only 4 storage spots in a karve but there also aren’t any hills, trolls, and grey dwarves on the water. And tin is on the water anyways when you’re needing more of that.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

LLSix posted:

From this it looks like ironwood is just the best at everything. But also crazy expensive. So build most things using corewood. Only use other materials for looks.

Is there any reason to build out of stone?

Things like the kiln and smelter have to be built on the ground or stone. Other than that yes it is basically just a choice between wood walls and stone walls.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

LLSix posted:

Does corewood not support stone? I am trying to build an elevated floor out of stone to avoid the FPS hit from flattening the ground and it is not going well.

Core wood should be able to support stone for some distance as long as the core wood has high stability. Is the core wood connected to the ground?

thespaceinvader posted:

No only ironwood and stone support stone.

The FPS hit from deforming the ground is nowhere near as bad after the recent update.

I've been able to support a stone floor with purely horizontal core wood connected to one of the plains' spires out to a distance of I think 7 or 8 stone slabs. It was a lot of core wood though.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 09:22 on May 9, 2021

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Just don't park your ship immediately next to the shore. Most enemies can't attack any more than you can while swimming.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The game should let me enslave my friends into rowing my longboat so I can go fast into the wind.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

A flint spear can take out a grey dwarf spawner out fairly easily. Draw them away then run back and hit until dead. But if your corpse has all your stuff if nothing else you can down some food, run in, grab your stuff, and get out again.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

There’s a dodge button, it doesn’t have anything to do with stealth mode. You hold block and then hit the dodge button. It still takes a chunk of stamina though.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

lol owned

Ravenfood posted:

I'd love a ship somewhere between the karve and longship in terms of handling and storage, tbh. The longship is fast and has a great hold space, but Jesus is it a giant whale in terms of turning.

Maybe in the Sea update, whenever that is.

Some kind of small cargo ship with more than 4 spaces would be nice in the current game when you’re trying to get iron but I want something bigger than a Longship already. Something like the Cyclops in Subnautica that lets me take my base with me. I want to be spewing smoke and fire from a forge and bonfire on the deck as I ply the sea.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Wooden roofs, windows, and more food. Good, good.

Also I had no idea you could just put a cooking put in a hearth.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The sword seems to do a wider cut that can hit multiple enemies more reliably. Other than that nope.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Floppychop posted:

Rain will damage uncovered wood to 50%, but won't completely destroy it.

Also “uncovered” means a roof structure. Covering a wooden floor with another wooden floor will just mean both get damaged.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

My long term hope for boats in Valheim is something equivalent to the Cyclops from Subnautica (and a reason to have it). Forget a built in chest, make it a cargo hold where you can build your own chests. Bonfire on the deck, hearths below. Space for all your crafting benches and upgrades. Hang a Karve over the side for lowering into the water (I also want pulleys).

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

And if you want a nice log cabin look you can use core wood as the walls too.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Bioshuffle posted:

I tried using core wood to frame, but I found I had to add stairs to the entryway, which was kind of a pain in the butt.

You had to add stairs because the ground wasn’t quite even enough I assume? I think if you put a small core wood beam between 2 large core wood beams, and then remove the small beam and replace it with stairs that should make everything even? If you need to you can also dig a hole where the stairs will be, snap the stairs between the 2 large beams, and then refill the hole to the desired-ish height. If there’s only a tiny bit of stairs above the ground it should still act as stairs.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The “big” thing I really felt was missing in regards to terrain modding and building was being able to manipulate water (and the things that can interact with water). Things like building a dock on dry land and then breaking a sea wall to fill it with water to crazy things like, I don’t know, a canal and lock system to bring your boat up and down a mountain for some reason.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

In that case I’d settle for them just lasting longer than regular coal.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I feel like I agree with the developers when they say “no teleporting ore ever” but the only idea I have to make things better is a big enough boat that would allow you to smelt and craft as you sail. That basically removes the need for a base though unless it would need to be maintained beyond the degradation already in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Give me a backpack that I can wear instead of a cape.