Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

tips for bonemass?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

thanks for the tips! i've heard iron armor isnt necessary to beat bonedaddy, is it still recommended?

any thoughts on the serpent scale shield?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

this has to be a record of some kind, right?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

ok well i'm copying this immediately

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

with reinforced iron beams you can make pretty much anything you can dream. Definitely going to build a large stone tower with other towers hanging off of it. so cool.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i think you're bypassing a pretty enjoyable gameplay loop but you play how you want to play

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

how does Odin feel about us focusing on architecture instead of glorious battle?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i do wish there were ways to get stone easier as you get towards the end game. mining stone is a huge chore right now for anything substantial.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Woden posted:

Someone earlier in the thread said mobs don't swim that far, and therefore you can stop them from getting to your boats by building far enough into the water.

but then they get eaten by the kraken

my strategy is to make a jetty over shallow water so i can unload and when they break i can just grab the mats back out of the water. it's the best we can do with what is a somewhat broken system at the moment.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

no news

:sweatdrop:

edit: unless that teaser photo is munin? not sure what that would suggest anyway.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

yeah it does look like a construction piece. i super want a few more adornments and angled pieces added so that would be dope.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i'm really hoping they just keep expanding the tech tree until we can have technovikings with cell phones and poo poo

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i dont really mind that bronze is a pain to make. that's the big reason iron surpassed it. Iron isnt really much harder than bronze but its way easier to mass produce.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Bioshuffle posted:

Which items should I prioritize with iron?

We have about 50 bars from the first crypt. I made a stone cutter, but we're torn about which items we need to make first for biggest QoL improvement. Pickaxe? Armor? Weapons?

axe + pick you want maxed out ASAP. pick is probably first. everything else is way less important.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

xzzy posted:

Well the shield is pretty important.

My order would be pickaxe, shield, axe, then whatever.

oh drat yeah you're totally right. others have said it but you definitely want to skip the tower shield too.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

A "sort" button would be really nice to have for inventory as well.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i hope we eventually can build like, robot arms that fill the smelter. or hoppers of some kind.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Reik posted:

If I try and set a wood floor on top of a stone wall some of the stone pokes through and looks dumb as hell. Anything I can do about this?

add joists maybe?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Killstick posted:

Best ramen place in Valheim.

you can craft bowls?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i'm curious about some of these network improvements. seems to be the same as hacking your client/server to improve the down speed?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

why the hell are sea serpents so nutritious

it's the chicken of the sea

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

personally, i think these changes are completely reasonable and if your enjoyment hinged on creating an infinitely respawning monster trap exploit im sure someone will mod it back it.

stop fighting though. vikings dont fight with each other. they are bros who process ore for each other and poo poo.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i think the game would be worse if there were no consequences for death.

if you want a creative mode that's fine, but complaining about being mildly punished for dying in this game seems kinda lame and not very vikinglike.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

if there were no penalties for death it would make exploration completely boring in this game. the most exciting moments are landing on a far-off biome and getting a portal/beachhead established

again, it's fine if you personally don't want to deal with it, but it completely makes sense for this game to penalize dying the way it does

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

OwlFancier posted:

There is already an exploration focused game that handles dying in a better way and it is called subnautica. You lose whatever you gathered between your last foray from base, but not any of the equipment progress you made or anything you had already successfully returned to the base beforehand. The penalty for dying is that you do not achieve the objective you set out to do when you left the base and you must reattempt it. This, conceptually, is how the overwhelming majority of video games have worked since they stopped being designed to drain your money at an arcade and the reason for that is because I think it keeps the focus of the game on the area you are at within the larger progression of the game, and eliminates the need to redo things you have already done.

i think you make a good argument here but i also think the gameplay loop of Valheim is different from Subnautica. Like, you should be building little huts with beds when you are exploring a new biome, that's a huge part of the process. Subnautica doesn't really require or reward that kind of construction. I didn't find it necessary to build more than one base in my run at least.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

litany of gulps posted:

Am I crazy or is the Eikthyr power clearly the best of them by far? Bonemass on paper seems great, but combat death comes so quickly that it usually isn't relevant. Its a mosquito catching you with low food or a random fuling swing on your back by surprise. Maybe for a boss fight I'd prime that, but it isn't practical for regular adventuring. The Elder power is idiotic and pointless. Eikthyr power is always relevant and always useful.

the elder power is actually good though? you should have a portal in your hub going back to the standing stones so you can swap it on whenever you are cutting down a bunch of trees, especially if you have a buddy with you who can benefit or you can chain them together.

edit: but yeah it is eikthyr 90% of the time

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

GlyphGryph posted:

I will (I know I'm basically a broken record at this point, but eh) suggest that if people want to engage in complex elevated builds (or underwater builds) - get the mod that lets you manually cycle through snap points using the ctrl and alt keys. It makes things SO much more pleasant. https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/299

It does not actually prevent falling deaths, I still fall to my death constantly, but I'm a lot less frustrated about it now! :v:

Definitely checking this out! Thanks!

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

wilderthanmild posted:

So I just killed the Elk boss and started delving into the Black Forest. I'm getting my rear end kicked by everything I meet in there. Is there usually a pretty large spike in difficulty here?

compared to the meadows there is real danger until you have at least troll leather armor. i'd get that going along with a decent bow

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

wilderthanmild posted:

I'll go work on that nicer bow. I'm not even sure how I'll get troll leather armor, considering that my first attempt at fighting a troll was extremely poor. It almost feels more realistic to skip the troll and try to mine enough ore that I can make metal armor, but maybe that will change with other gear upgrades.

first you get the bow then you get the troll leather then you get the women

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

joepinetree posted:

What the spawn area for the 5th boss looked like after we killed it

looks structurally sound enough to me

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

they should tone down the fall damage a little bit tbh, and probably the skills loss on death as well.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Untrustable posted:

I got annoyed bringing silver down a mountain in a cart to a waiting boat, so I took many hours and built a raised, wooden road that winds through the mountains and directly to a loading dock where it goes on the boat.

Also, thanks for the Bonemass suggestions. With iron maces we pretty much just beat it to death in front of some skeletons.

me and my friends did this but then i dropped the cart by accident and it rolled to the bottom and that was way faster lol

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i wonder what my friends are getting up to in their living spa-

oh

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Bioshuffle posted:

Does the hearth need a blue colored block to place? I am trying to place a hearth upstairs, but in the spot I'm trying to place it in, it crumbles immediately after. When I place it in another location upstairs, there's no issue at all. What gives?

needs stone support or ground.

im not sure if it can be placed directly on iron beams.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Laterite posted:

i beat bonemass in part by kiting him out to an adjacent plains area and drawing fulings in to take care of the blobs and skeletons, then have them get dissolved in his poison puke. then I rush in and smack him around with frostner.

and then winter comes and the apes freeze to death!

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

New update seems to fix terrain killing framerate!

Irongate posted:

This was a long one! This patch has been taking extra long time to develop due to the new terrain-modification system. The new terrain modification system is made to reduce the number of network instances and make loading faster and smoother. Technically it’s a pretty big change but hopefully you should not notice that much of a difference except some minor behaviour changes to the hoe and pickaxe and of course much smoother loading of areas with a lot of terrain modifications. All terrain modifications after this patch (using the hoe, pickaxe or cultivator) will automatically use the new modification system. For existing areas where heavy terrain modifications have been made before this patch we have added a special console command “optterrain” that basically converts all the old terrain modifications in the nearby area to the new system. To use the “optterrain” console command, you first need to enable the ingame console by adding “-console” as a launch argument for the game.

* Swamp draugr spawner location fix to prevent draugrs from spawning inside stones
* Lox pet-sfx fix
* Torches in locations should no longer support constructions
* Dolmen location stone size fix
* New terrain modification system
* Terrain-modification priority changed (Terrain modifications in an area should load before buildings, only applies to the new terrain modification system)
* World loading tweaks (to fix issues with ships and buildings getting damaged while loading)
* Stop server list download when leaving the start menu (to decrease network bandwidth usage)
* Lowered the amount of stone required to Raise ground using the hoe

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i haven't had a chance to test yet but I will tonight. pretty exciting patch for me, an idiot who dug massive canals everywhere in my first twenty hours.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Lozareth posted:

I made a lighthouse because is it even a base if it doesn't have one? Plus that small peninsula was just begging for it.

The spiral around it is individually placed 1m wood blocks to make a climbable but dangerous staircase around the outside.

It sucks that I have to leave a gaping hole in the platform around the fire but the stairs have to end somewhere and give access to the fire.

Pretty happy with it overall. The wider base is round too; there's 4 faux support thingies sticking out from the base that make it not look round in screenshots.

Nice!

How did you get the bonfire up that high?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Starting from a fresh game, how long would it take to get to fast travel copper portals if you knew exactly what you were doing and bee-lined there?

The game is fun when I play with others but seems real boring and slow when I play it alone.

1-3 hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Ornery and Hornery posted:

1. How does parrying work? I can’t seem to do it although I’ve only ever had the tower shield.

2. How do you level the land? I can’t ever seem to get a large area to be equally flat.

You can't parry with the tower shield so that's your issue there.

You can use the hoe. with it equipped you want to right click and select the "level" option. This will bring terrain to the same level as your feet when you click. Note that there are limits to this and you may need to use the pick to cut down particularly large bumps.