Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Strength affects regular melee attacks, right? Not that the game is demanding this kind of min maxing, but how would I work out whether or not a weapon with 140 attack is better than one with 130 attack that also raises strength by 3? The strength will also affect melee skills, but I just mean in terms of non-skill attacks.

e:btw, is there a general SMT thread as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

explosivo posted:

Is there a way to reorganize abilities of party members' personas like you can your own?

Stats>[party member]>Persona

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What references to the pre-PS2 Personas do the new crop of Personas have? They have plenty of references among themselves, but off the top of my head I can’t think of any to the older ones.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I think I didn’t get deep into that SL.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Can you not look up your social link progress or even Personas outside Tartarus in P3? I loaded up my ancient P3P save (MC name reminded me of what book I was reading at the time) to remind myself of what SLs I was pursuing but I don’t see a way to check anything.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Arist posted:

It's definitely in the pause menu?

Hmm, the pause menu takes me to the system menu immediately. Maybe because this was made right before the end?

But the regular menu works in an older save. I did more social linking than I remembered. I maxed out the whole team, with the exception of Fuuka (level 1 😬). “Maya” the hermit is at level 7.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Spiffster posted:

I’m getting really annoyed about persona dropping its connection to the network on switch. I can understand going into sleep mode, but it seems to do it randomly as well for no real reason. Anyone else having issues?

Happens to me on pc.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

50 hours in, the game hasn’t crashed once for me. (I’m on Game pass too)

You’re not using Special K, right?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Lol I completely forgot that was a feature

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I’m currently trudging through P2IS myself. I love the characters and story, but the fights are so dull and so frequent. I think this is my third attempt, but it’s not looking good.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

A lot of this stuff is aimed at teens and young adults, so it’s not surprising that the themes they cover intersect. But I’m afraid I’ve only started The Drifting Classroom, so I can’t say much that wouldn’t be speculative, though of course SMT is no stranger to protags unexpectedly finding themselves in the middle of a (post) apocalypse. A Persona (or other spinoff with a bigger focus on characters) that treats the realities of that kind of setting seriously, could be interesting though. e:i guess DDS is the closest we’ve got?

I read a translation of the MT novel years ago. Iirc it’s also broadly a coming of age story (the protagonist learns not to be such a tremendous scumbag). But it was pretty trashy overall. And I don’t think that was the fault of the translation. But it’s been ages.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Nope, on a Vita.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It makes perfect sense in retrospect, but I didn't know Kaneko had a big interest in fashion designers.

(Tomomi Kobayashi is the Romancing Saga illustrator)

Interviewer: Kobayashi, I understand you’re also into fashion now?

Kobayashi: It’s a relatively recent interest. It started with those amazingly gorgeous patterned pieces that were popular during the bubble economy.

Kaneko: There’s some great designers out there. Lately I’ve been into W & LT… though their designs have been getting more and more outlandish. (laughs) I’m scared to think they’re actually selling this stuff! Thierry Mugler, too… they’re all doing kind of crazy stuff these days.

Kobayashi: Yeah, it looks like something you’d see out of a sci-fi movie or something.

Kaneko: It looks like something tokusatsu characters would wear. But I think those designers are really trying to present something thematic. I can relate to that sentiment—because there’s a lot of character designers out there that don’t give much thought to their designs in that way.

Kobayashi: Yeah, it’s the difference between someone who makes their clothing to sell, and someone who makes it because they want to present their own vision of the world. You get the sense that they don’t particularly care one way or the other if anyone actually wears it.

Kaneko: Yeah, it’s to be viewed as a work of art itself.

Kobayashi: Galliano, Gaultier, and Mugler too, they’ve all been going that direction. Alexander McQueen too.

Kaneko: Hah, wow. And you can’t wear any of it. (laughs)

Kobayashi: It’s like the clothes themselves have too much presence. To wear them you have to be someone with a personality that’s loud enough to match it.

Kaneko: When I see something like Versace at the mall, it’s like, “Oh my god, this costs ten-thousand dollars?!”

Kobayashi: That sense of unreality is fun. I think his clothes express something about the carnivorous aspect of Western culture.

Kaneko: That’s a good insight.

Kobayashi: Wearing it makes you feel like you belong at a hostess bar or something though.

Kaneko: That’s true! I like stuff like Dolce and Gabbana. I own a lot of their clothes. It’s dangerous to wear only Dolce and Gabbana though!

Part of a 1996 Interview, translated by shmuplations

I'm a philistine so I didn't realize Rhadamanthus' design was an homage

(Thierry Mugler's Bustier on the right)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

How were the 3DS Q games?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The P3P remaster didn’t sell great, if I recall hearing second or third hand correctly.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Endorph posted:

did anyone actually expect the remake to have femc lol

I didn't think it was that unlikely

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I wonder if Audio Technica commemoratively releases an update to Minato’s clip-on earphones (I have a black pair; slightly different model).

Shyrka posted:

Kinda same. After blowing through P5R, Strikers, and P4G at the end of last year/start of this year I got the version of P3 on Steam and just bounced off.

Might have been too much Persona.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Persona isn't smt. I want smt more than I want persona.

Soul Hackers 2 not setting the world on fire won't help, though you can lay the blame for that on a lot of things.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I wouldn’t be surprised if P5T doesn’t end up selling great either, just based on the tepid response so far and what seems like growing P5 fatigue, on top of tactics games being fairly niche.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Hmm, when you scroll to the end of the characters list the color of the background changes from blue to pinkish and there’s a blank “coming soon” slot

(Probably nothing)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah, my mistake

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

Allegra Clark (Mitsuru): Dorothea, Shamir (Fire Emblem Three Houses)

she was also Boss from AI Somnium Files

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Arist posted:

I don't actually care about the deaths getting walked back. Chidori's completely whatever to me and I'm totally fine saving Shinjiro, that one's fanfiction-y in a way I'm cool with.

e: like if you want to say that it weakens the thematic link between the characters of the death of another, that's fine... but Fuuka is already an exception to that so :shrug:

This conversation got me thinking about AI: Nirvana Initiative again.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I don’t see it going away.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Arist posted:

Honestly, the correct answer to that question is 4.

i think it was a gradual growth, and each step was important.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I like Soul Hackers 2's cast more than most SMT games. :colbert:

I liked Ringo's "birth" at the start of the game.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Is there a way to transfer Gamepass Persona 5 saves to Steam? I don't think I have it in me to finish the game within a month (I'm 65 hours in), when I think the game leaves.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Thank you!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is it being removed from gamepass? Didn't see anything about that.

GP contracts are usually for a year, and P5R was added October 21st last year. MS typically only give two weeks notice before something leaves, but the dates are fairly predictable.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Crunchyroll has the first two parts of the P5 stage play on demand. I wouldn’t be able to sit through the whole thing (well maybe irl), but it seems quite well done. I liked the casting. The weirdest thing was honestly getting used to the MC having a personality.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair Joker absolutely has a personality. The dude is flamboyant and has a distinct set of behaviors, more than P3/p4

sure but it's a very different kind of "voice", and one that pops up only intermittently

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

His "neutral" cool and stoic attitude he has when other characters are the focus is the only one that doesn't really show. Him being a total showboat when he's Joker, starkly defiant in the face of injustice, and cripplingly depressed when he's alone are all pretty prominently displayed.

my point was that there's a big difference between a silent protag that only occasionally speaks up in short sentences, and what you get from a charismatic lead with at least as many lines as anyone else in the cast.

i should've worded my initial post differently because he absolutely can have a personality in the game (though we're filling in some gaps ourselves)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Alder posted:

:yeah:

Honestly, anything going on other than what did happen would've made P5 anime much better IMHO.

what happened? (i'm halfway through P5 in case of spoilers)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Arist posted:

The best new arrangement in that selection is easily Changing Seasons, imo, but I feel like it's honestly too energetic now? It legitimately kind of goes too hard for when Changing Seasons actually plays in-game.

I can't quite make out the vocals, but doesn't it sound like they replaced the French?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Can't you just buy the DLC on the gamepass version?

for me it feels weird to buy content to a game i'll only have access to temporarily

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

https://x.com/ScrambledFaz/status/1748119033994432868

apparently someone got their hands on internal Atlus work in progress files for P5 (discs bought via auction)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Arist posted:

I think the review I'm most fascinated by is the Polygon one, which is basically criticizing Reload for being stylish like Persona 5 instead of gritty and atmospheric like Persona 3, and all I can think of reading it is that I don't think that the reviewer actually played the original very recently. Just from the previews I can tell there's weaker elements of Reload's presentation for sure but OG Persona 3 isn't really a game with all that much "grit" or "atmosphere."

Eurogamer had a similar sentiment

Speaking of, the remake's most immediately recognisable change is how it looks, as developer Atlus tries to emulate Persona 5's effortlessly stylish (verging on illegible) look. Reload succeeds in some areas, plastered with slick transitions, animated flourishes racing across the screen, and (again!) genuinely beautiful UI.

I'm unfortunately not as in love with the rest of the package's spruce-up. Reload replaces the original's polygonal edges for a shinier facelift that looks kinda like plastic at some points and seemingly doesn't include the finer details that made P5 feel like a moving firework trapped in the TV. The end result is stuck in an awkward middle-ground, not quite reaching P5 levels of eye candy and sacrificing the original's dour vibes for an upbeat sheen in the process.

[...]

Persona 3 Reload makes it easier than ever to enjoy a truly special game about young people coming to terms with universal anxieties. And in the end, it's still good because it's Persona 3, and Persona 3 is drat good. I'm unsure if Reload will be my go-to route to Gekkoukan High in the future, and for many it'll depend on how much tolerance you have for the original's Tartarus grind, but for me, the sometimes-jarring changes in presentation and mood (as well as omissions from previous editions) hold Persona 3 Reload back from being the way to experience Tatsumi Port Island's pleasures.

https://www.eurogamer.net/persona-3-reload-review

Maybe part of it is changes like this

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Arist posted:

having finished P3 FES as recently as last week,

Do you intended to play Reload right away?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

anakha posted:

For context, here are the main Persona Steam releases ranked in terms of 24-hour peaks during launch:

• Persona 3 Reload - 42,112
  • Persona 5 Royal - 35,474
  • Persona 4 Golden - 29,984
  • Persona 5 Strikers - 8,730
  • Persona 4 Arena Ultimax - 7,099

Guess the simultaneous launch worked.

I thought P5R would have it beat for sure. But I guess P5R was just a rerelease, and P3 is a remake of a nearly 20 year old game.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

On pc Game Pass the game won’t detect PlayStation controllers, but lets you display to PlayStation glyphs (not useless, since you can still use PS controllers by emulating an Xbox controller with DS4Windows or the like)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I think it’s under gameplay at the bottom.