Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Yeah, if anything Junpei was leaning into it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

The Pringle King is a little more than a level check, that’s a real nasty trick he pulls

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

NikkolasKing posted:

I guess they could have started with P3 or 4 and moved into the second demo by 5 but still.

That’s me. P3 and P4 came out when I was in middle school but P5 took so long to come out I was already a college senior. I imagine it describes a lot of people cause it was a whopping eight years between releases

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Sojiro is your dad regardless :colbert:

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

My pet peeve is why did they not make Last Surprise, the song about how you've bamboozled the enemy and got them by surprise, the ambush theme and Take Over, the song describing the Phantom Thieves objective, the normal battle theme.

It may be dumb but it just feels backwards to me.

It does feel backwards but it’s because 99% of the fights in this game are started with an ambush and they wanted to showcase the new song

Harrow posted:

I think it's the opposite in Persona 4 Golden. The new music is the standard non-ambush music, while the ambush music is Reach Out to the Truth. Same reason, too: Reach Out to the Truth sounds more triumphant/powerful than Time To Make History, so they play it when the player has the upper hand.

You’re right about which song plays when, but which song they chose is again based on how you’re most likely to start fights in that game (not with an ambush)

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

P5R adds on an extra chapter at the end. There are a few new scenes throughout the game to set up the new chapter but the main narrative remains unchanged

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I couldn’t beat it even on Merciless, I had to turn it down to Easy. I’d make it to the phase with the green robots multiple times on merciless and without fail the first that would happen in that round would be one of the robots critting and killing Joker from full health, even through a Rakukaja.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Alacron posted:

Nah, Collective Consciousness fits him way better.

It Has To Be This Way would fit Akechi though.

You use Collective Consciousness for when he’s in his big dumb vehicle and then It Has To Be This Way when he gets out and flexes his shirt off

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Blockhouse posted:

I dunno guys I think they're getting ready to announce persona 6

just a hunch

Watch it be that mobile game that was teased

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Tokyo Mirage Sessions is almost literally Persona 4.5. If you like Persona and own a Switch (or god forbid, a Wii U) there’s absolutely no reason not to check it out

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

DanielCross posted:

Just revealed at the Game Awards: P4AU coming to Steam, Switch, and PS4

Hell yes, I was just complaining about this game being trapped on the PS3 the other day

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

IIRC the first game's story mode was dlc for Ultimax so maybe it'll be the same here.

Also, more importantly, no one wants to play the original over Ultimax

e;fb

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Lotus Aura posted:

There are lines in English in Persona 3 of Akihiko exclaiming surprise that an enemy shadow is immune to Almighty. I guess that means that late in development he was going to be a navigator.

Do any of the weapons you can make for Akihiko deal Almighty damage? Shinjiro has a similar line about lightning damage due to one of the weapons you can make for him

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I feel like the ideal system would be PQ's sub-personas combined with the affinity system from P1/P2.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Edit: I wonder what the first highly posted mod for P5R will be. My money is on replacing the main character with a CJ model, seems like it's been the hot mod tech for awhile

I hope the first mod reverts the Okumura fight back to the Vanilla version. Honestly wouldn't mind a mod that did that every boss except maybe Madarame

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I don't think we're likely to get a Persona game with adult party members again, but if P6 takes anything from Like a Dragon then I wanna sing karaoke with my party members

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Ytlaya posted:

It's actually kind of a shame, because I'm also a dum-dum who didn't realize Akechi was a villain in Vanilla and was genuinely surprised at the reveal (this is apparently uncommon and I'm happy to see someone else who was also surprised). The in medias res opening helps somewhat with tricking me, because I assumed the game would continue to follow the "new party member each arc" pattern and that he was going to be one (and I had avoided all pre-release material and discussion and knew literally nothing, despite first playing the game a couple years after it was released). But it seems pretty impossible to not realize it in Royal, unless you ignore that Confidant entirely.

I actually generally like what they did in the extra Royal content, since they don't go hard on trying to "redeem" Akechi and he basically stays the same guy.

edit: I think I may have also suspected Mishima, just out of the absence of alternative options, but I can't remember for sure.

On my first playthrough I accidentally skipped over the pancake line from Akechi at the TV studio, so I also got surprised with his betrayal. I did think it was weird that his whole joining circumstances were kind of a rehash of Makoto's, but oh well! :shrug:

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I feel like every boss fight, with the exception of Madarame, was made at least a little bit worse in Royal. Though Okumura in Royal is one of the top 10 worst video game bosses of all time

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

anakha posted:

If the baseline is 'no duds across P3/P4/P5', then I think Hierophant's the only real choice.

The arcana that's bad across all three? I offer up Devil.

Ohya's SL has bad Confidant bonuses but I like the actual content of it. As long as you don't date her.

Also P3 Devil is Tanaka and that's one of the funniest SLs in the entire series

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

anakha posted:

Kinda bummed that Igor's getting a new Japanese VA.

I was bummed that they were writing Igor out of the games just because his JP VA died so this is good news for me. Hopefully they can get Dan Woren back for P6

SettingSun posted:

I think it's about time for a historical Persona. If it must be pseudo-modern set it the 80's or something. Have it star Kiryu even.

Gimme fuckin Ichiban as a bonus boss in P6. Also karaoke with your party members, throw in Baka Mitai while you're at it

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I never quite understood the logistics of the cops being in the metaverse. From what they show you disappear in real life when you go in so it's definitely another plane of existence. I thoug ht it'd make more sense just to have them leave the metaverse and have all the cops there surrounding them when they popped out. It was a cool scene regardless though.

It absolutely would make more sense, but unfortunately they already paid for the animated cutscene of Joker being captured in his PT outfit. It's the FF13 problem but even more insane because the animated cutscenes don't even look better than the in-engine cutscenes at this point

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I guess maybe he gets worse as the game goes because I'm just barely in and I thought Yosuke was a breath of fresh air from Junpei. I liked Ryuji too though.

Yosuke is excellent during the game's opening story arc and then very quickly falls off a cliff.

The character assassination of Yosuke Hanumura by the coward Atlus

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

That's my main fear with how P5 didn't officially give a year for when it takes place, it means they're free to not age up the P4 cast.

ApplesandOranges posted:

This makes the most sense, though gonna be interesting what the roster would look like since the P3/P4 cast would be much older at this point unless there's time shenanigans again (see: Persona Q2). Keeping it to P5 + rando extras would be, eh, 7 mains, + Yoshizawa, maybe +Sophie/Zenkichi, so that's a base of 10 + OCs?

There's absolutely no way Akechi isn't included in a fighting game roster. Even if they decide to keep him cannonically dead they'll bullshit him in somehow

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I wonder... is the new voice cast a union thing? I don't know who's in the union and who isn't

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Persona 3 Remake will definitely be improved by not having that irritating fatass as a social link.

If they're keeping Kenji, they're keeping that loser

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Kale posted:

Kind of crazy how people just don't seem to be having Persona 5 Tactica like at all. I do tend to figure they are making a big miscalculation on the artstyle as a big part of it no matter what they end up coming out with gameplay/story wise.

I'm just fully done with P5 until they announce the fighting game

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Sapozhnik posted:

I suppose they could do some sort of crossover with Like A Dragon, yeah

Reload gonna replace Vincent's cameo from P3P with an Ichiban cameo

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Oxxidation posted:

unrelated note: ken and koromaru are completely loving busted in this. it feels like 75% of the entire enemy roster has either a Bless or Curse weakness.

This feels like a side effect of the original game only having the instant kill spells for light and dark. Those were only worth gambling on if an enemy was only weak to those elements and even then it was still a shaky proposition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Doing all the daytime hangouts with the guys (the ones with two exclamation marks) will also unlock specific Persona to fuse