Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Hey I have a question:

Did royal fix a lot of the translation weirdness in P5? I'll planning to play it when (if) it comes out on pc. I remember P5's script had a lot of awkwardness and bad translations, especially early on. This is in contrast to most of the atlus translations, which I feel were done well. Even playing strikers right now, I'm at the beginning but it seems a lot more smooth than base P5 was, at least according to my memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Makoto's my fav, but I think a lot of people (myself included) were let down by her extremely lame s-link. It's also kind of weird how she takes over the group once she joins. I'd probably like haru the best if she had more time to develop, and the design of her thief outfit was better.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

lunar detritus posted:

I played P4G with Cheat Engine's speedhack during the dungeon crawling, toggling it when necessary, and I think it's the ideal way to play it. According to Steam and the internal save timer, it saved me about 10 hours.

Same, I find speedhack to be a lifesaver in a lot of rpgs that I don't really play for battles anyways. It's also super duper easy and doesn't mess anything up. Once I experienced turbo mode in trails in the sky, it was all over lol. I could never sit through slow animations in a jrpg again.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ytlaya posted:

The disappointing thing about Yosuke is that there's kind of a basis for a good character there. Yosuke is generally the character who is the most focused on actually trying to "solve the cases" (until Naoto comes along the rest of your party are not particularly productive contributors to the non-fighting aspects of the plot), and the whole angle of his shadow* was fairly compelling (he cares about that girl being murdered but also secretly has the more selfish motive of just wanting to do something interesting).

* One gripe about P4 is that party member character depth is pretty much solely limited to when their shadow shows up before they actually join the team. Beyond that there's not really much going on with them and most don't have particularly interesting social links.

I mean this is a huge problem since they made party characters s links. No development can happen after they join because what if the pc romanced them? All development occurs as the party. While 4 is my favorite, this is something that I think 3 did unambiguously better, especially p3p, where the characters develop in the main story but the s links let you see different sides of them. since p3p theyve had trouble with whether to make the characters story beats more important or s-link, and its led to some pretty mixed results. I haven't played p5 since it came out, but I remember being disapointed in pretty much all the party's s-links.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I guess I'm weird because I like teddy but dont like morgana. I mean I don't really love either of them but morgana I really cant stand. bad character, rude to a lot of the other characters in the party. Teddy is annoying too, but once you get a new navigator he's fine. especially the scene where he comes out of his suit I think is the funniest thing in the persona series. Morgana's design just looks bad imo. Also, the way he pronounces ann makes me crazy. I know the bad pronunciations are because of atlus so not blaming the va, but it''s pretty grating. It'd be great if there was just no mascot in 6, I don't really think they're necessary.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Harrow posted:

Persona 5 should've let Joker and Ryuji join Yusuke in yukata as well.

you should play strikers

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
lol, does anyone else think its funny that this thread's popularity has sucked the life out of the smt thread, just like the persona games have sucked the life out of the smt franchise?

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I really really really hope part of the 25 year persona thing is p5 royal on PC. I haven't played it since it came out on ps3 in 2017. While it is my least favorite of the 3-5, I'd love to replay it. iunno why they're so weird about platforms. I figured with p4 golden and strikers it was just a matter of time, then .... nothing, lol.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
man I realize this is just a cope post but I really wish theyd bring p5 royal to pc. havent played it since the original came out on ps3, and I'd love a replay. I thought itd be coming pretty fast after strikers and p4 golden, but no. atlus hates money for some reason. also I knew the anniversary stuff would be disapointing but its nothing so far lol.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Acerbatus posted:

Let's not go that far. :v:

P4 is even worse than 5 for stuff like say, Yosuke not being able to stop talking about how gay it would be to think about dicks or whatever. Depending on how sensitive you are to that stuff it might be enough to bring it all down.

hell yeah can't wait for the exclusive anniversary phone case or whatever

Don't be silly, it'll be some play that's only released in japan

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Where the gently caress is p5 royal? I swear atlus has a drat 10 year exclusivity deal with Sony. So annoying.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
hoping that by posting about it I jinx it into existence, but I can't believe they havent announced a pc port of p5r. They released strikers, the sequel. They released p4 gold, and it sold a ton. its the anniversery, and so far... nothing. All we get is arena, which isn't even the same genre of game. I mean it seems like such an obvious slam dunk. The game came out 5/6 years ago. come on already atlus! lol

I'm even starting to believe the nonsense rumors that they might have a secret 10 year exclusivity deal with sony. but why would they?

Mirello fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 11, 2022

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Levantine posted:

Morgana was super annoying but the way they treated him there was a super weird tonal shift. Ryuji turned into a complete rear end in a top hat and it felt like it came out of left field. It does feel like a really unevenly written game. I wonder if there were different teams handling different aspects of it or if all that happened in the localization.

definately not localization, p5 just has a pretty crappy script. all the constant scenes of bad guys talking about their evil plans confirms that.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Brandfarlig posted:

I did laugh my rear end off at Sojiros "please don't hook up with my incredibly depressed daughter". He's so resigned.

Nevermind hooking up with your teacher or a much older doctor hooking up with Futaba easily has to be the most hosed up option available that doesn't involve hooking up with everyone.

lol, this is going to start a fight, but I totally agree with you. the fact that you can date your shut in pseudo sister that you promised to help out of her shell is the most hosed up relationship in a game full of them.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Speaking of Ryuji one of the parts where the writing definitely felt odd was after the Yacht Ryuji gets his arc completed when he finally ran against all his insecurities and managed to save all his friends, and everyone's crying because he sacrificed himself. Then they bathos the whole thing by having the girls beat his alive rear end up, dump him unconscious in the street and went off to eat ramen i guess

stuff like this is why the story of the game overall does not hold a candle to 4 and 3 imo. while of course there's good moments, there's also constant weirdness and awkwardness among the team dragging it down.

also, I liked teddy much more than morgana. i mean, ideally there wouldn't be a mascot character, but I really didn't think teddy was that bad, as opposed to morgana who's just a dick with very little arc. he follows you around the whole game too, whereas teddy was just in small doses.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

neonchameleon posted:

Wait, you think that was less awkward than e.g. the hot springs scene in Persona 4. Or the running joke that was Mystery Food X that did literal poison damage and where the only punchline was "Girl can't cook???" with even Nanako getting in on the act.

Meanwhile Morgana wasn't a creepy pest obsessed with "scoring" and didn't have obnoxiously squeaky shoes or make bad puns every other sentence. That said Morgana is notably less obnoxious in P5R compared to vanilla P5.

That said both Teddie and Morgana were victims of Atlus not being good at localising their games (Morgana's "Lady Ann" in particular isn't as jarring in the Japanese because all his speech is formal, polite, and archaic)

lol at saying morgana wasn't weirdly horny. teddie was like a child with no knowledge of human interaction imo.

and that stuff you said, I'll admit it. I liked it. it's cheesy, it's kitsch, it's cliche, but I thought it's funny. maybe because when i first played it 12 years ago I wasn't as familiar with japanese culture, but I thought all that stuff was really cool and funny. even the cultural festival which many say is "cringe" I enjoyed. I replayed it fairly recently when golden finally came out for PC, and I enjoyed it just as much. although i was nostalgia posioned, as P4 was my favorite game as a teenager so I doubt it was possible for me to dislike it. the only thing I didn't like was marie and all that crap, which I didn't think added much. otherwise I think p4 is pretty unimpeachable. dated, but much better overall story and party than 5 imo.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

anakha posted:

You could have just said off the bat you loved playing P4 when you were younger and saved yourself (and everyone else) the trouble of having to rationalize why you like it better.

yes god forbid people in a thread have to discuss one of the games the thread is about. also, p4 is widely considered one of the best jrpgs of all time, and it will hold on to that title no matter what some haters believe lol.

I guess if I agree with any critique of p4, it's that it is inherently conservative (I don't mean that politically, I mean as not changing things) as the conclusion to almost every s link is to be happy as you are. I dunno, I just think that, speaking personally, that's not so bad. A lot of suffering is over people's confusion over who they are and how they are perceived by others. Naoto isn't trans, but believes that women can't be perceived as competent, especially at police work. Kanji isn't gay/bi (or maybe he is, it honestly doesn't matter) but he's worried about how others perceive him due to his hobbies, which causes him to lash out and suffer. Be happy with your lot in life isn't an inherently bad message.

as opposed to p5, which is literally premised as a game where you rise up in revolution, but it's unwillingness to make any actual critique of society totally hamstrings it from saying something meaningful. Since the stakes are much higher, the fact that the story is so crappy really leads it astray. And I agree with others in the thread that they attempted to emulate the closeness dynamics of the group in P4, but failed. I enjoyed them a lot in p5S, but stopped playing halfway through as the gameplay wasn't my cup of tea.

Talking about creepiness, the fact that the game shifts from kamoshida being a sexual predator, to immediately making a "funny" situation of Yusuke pressuring ann to do something she doesn't want to do is very odd. And that honestly made me dislike Yusuke throughout much more than teddy or morgana. It's always been odd to me the way that fans just forgive that. jeeze from the way people talk about teddy you'd think he's a sex monster, rather than someone who misunderstood "score" once or twice.

I think that P5 gets a lot of kudos from it's gameplay being fantastic and a great beginning, but the middle and ending are pretty mediocre imo.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Polderjoch posted:

Yeah which is what is part of the problem for me; Kashiwagi exists purely to be an incredibly creepy pastiche but practically every single negative they give of her is "old and single" which is what makes it so loving weird.

yeah much better in p5 where with the benefit of 7 years of social progress we can gently caress the teacher/maid lol.

Petiso posted:

Regarding Teddie, remember there's going to be a big difference of perception between someone who has only played vanilla P4, where his flirtation mostly remains on the innocent side, and people who played P4G and other spinoff titles where they went full "anime dirty old man" with him.

I agree with this. in standard p4 he's really fine. I never played any of the spin offs. for example, the guy above me talking about stealing medical exams? what? when does that happen? I literally have no memory at all.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Arist posted:

There's three announcements left. There were only supposed to be two, but they added a new one for April, which is the next one.

e: If we're very lucky, the announcements will be P5R port, P3 remake, P6. I do not think we're going to be anywhere near that lucky.

it'll be a drama cd, overpriced merch only available in japan for a limited time, and a play that will run for one weekend.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

cubicle gangster posted:

So I finally finished p5.
The impression I got from royal was that it was mostly just a longer version with dlc integrated so I'm annoyed they gave the poo poo version away on ps+ and I had to suffer through it, but also vanilla reviewed so highly I expected a lot more.

Glad I stuck with it and did finish it, despite how frustrated I was near the end.
Wish it was a solid 30 hours shorter. For every good moment there was an equal length bad one, and for every great moment there was a shitload of tedium. Don't agree at all with it's high metacritic average, it's massively well reviewed and far too much of the game is poo poo and annoying. Fun story sometimes, glad I finally saw it after friends hyping it up since 2015. Doubt I'll ever play a mainline persona again.
110 hours, averaging 10 hours a week, the only game I played for 3 months straight. I did hope to like it more, the first 40 hours were great and I got a sunk cost fallacy going on. My feelings towards the game never really recovered fully after summer, futabas dungeon and haru, it sucked all love I had for it away and everything from that point was stubbornly trying to see the end.

I only finally bit the bullet and played p5 because strikers looked fun and its a direct sequel. Now I'm so burnt out I'm not sure when I'll get to playing that.
I don't get it dude, I really don't. Time is so finite. To dedicate this much time to a game that didn't grab you is madness.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
lol at proposing changing the calendar, which is the most important part of modern persona. both the gameplay decisions of how to spend your time and the overall themes of opening yourself to the world.

I think the problem is just weak writing, and it's difficult to write well when it's so diluted across so many s-links. it'd be cool if they had fewer s-links, but better writing and more variable paths. if your choices actually had consequences, rather than just being +1 or +0 to your relationship. it'd also be amazing if relationships with the characters could effect the main plot, and vice versa.

also, this might be a controversial take, but if they can't do that, then they shouldn't hide character development in s-links. it's so annoying when a character actually develops over the course of their s-link, only for it to disappear in the main plot, or be unremarked upon. I also think they should steal the support scenes between npcs from FE: three houses. I thought that was a really good idea. imagine if in p5, you could skip that stupid ryuji morgana fight by having them support each other in battle / decisions, and have it dynamically be the two members of your team that get along the least have a fight. It'd make the world feel much more alive.

having party members have s-links is something the writing team just can't figure out. a great example is makoto's s-link. within the main plot she's one of my fav characters, but her s-link is a wet fart, that barely involves her. on the other hand I thought kanji's was really good. it definately seems that they often struggle to fill the 10 "event" levels. why even do that? just have as many as you can write well. no need for filler.

while I'm spitballing here, it'd be cool if they moved away from high school. if they could just have shorter sweeter 20-30 hour games, rather than huge ones. they wouldn't have to do a whole year. then again, in all of the modern persona games, there are always huge time skips.

no matter what, the next persona game will be a day one purchase for me. even if they barely change anything at all. these games are so comfortable and nostalgic for me. even P5, which I considered a disappointment relative to 4, was still amazing. I just hope atlus gets their heads out of their rear end and releases it for pc (and ports p5r!)

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Blue Labrador posted:

Does The Answer get credit for the dope intro cinematic to FES? That's definitely up there in SMT intros.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGjPut-k-7U

this was so dope and is probably the best intro ever imo. Got me into the series.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I downloaded it on xbox because it's free but then I saw it's available on pc game pass, so I'm gonna play that way, primarily for one reason:

I like to cheat and get all my social skills up to 5 at the beginning of the game. this is a replay, so I wanna see as much new content as possible. hard to do this on xbox, easy with cheat engine.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

PancakeTransmission posted:

Can you cheat engine gamepass games easily? I thought they ran in containers or something. Idk, all I know is the file system is a pain and not currently compatible with steam games (eg to copy a save game across)

lol this is my first ever game pass for pc game so I'll try it and report back to everyone. hopefully it works, lol. if it doesn't, that'd be a major bummer.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
well, even though the topic has somewhat moved on, it's time for me to make my semi annual "p4 is good, actually" post.

I think the way that Kanji is portrayed and handled in P4 is very very good. there's a reason he's most (me included) people's favorite character. his arc is really interesting and one that is very believable. if he's gay or not doesn't really matter, and it isn't really what his arc is about, despite what it seems like at the beginning.

now to get to my real controversial point, there's nothing wrong with how yosuke is portrayed. he is basically just a normal teenage boy in the late 2000s. I know, because I was one as well. he has good and bad traits. his constant bagging on kanji is annoying, but that's how boys and friends talked. now I know a lot of people think that he does a bad thing and should get punished within the story for it so that we all know he's wrong. to me that's pretty lazy writing, it's ok to have someone just represent reality without them being tut tutted by the narrative. I'm going to try to make a bigger point here, but I think P4's reputation has suffered in later years because among many people, there is a widespread belief that portrayal = endorsement. I don't think that's true at all. I think that we're supposed to be annoyed at Yosuke and sympathetic for kanji, and that is how it seems the majority of people I knew took it.

When it comes to naoto, I also enjoyed her story, and thought it was done well. Her's is explicitly not a trans story. she appeared as a boy so that misogynists would take her seriously, similar to lying about your age I guess. Cool stuff about gender could've been done, but it wasn't

I guess, having written all that out, people might be disappointed because P4 basically flirts with ideas of homosexuality, queerness, transness, but it turns out that they're not really going all the way with it. It is pretty frustrating if you enjoy seeing those concepts explored in media, and I can understand being frustrated by the "bait and switch"' but I don't really think that's the games fault.

at it's heart, P4 isn't about attacking society or making anything better lol, it's about accepting yourself, even if your role isn't as grand as you might think. that's why it's set in a small town, that's why every single characters arc is about accepting themselves, rather than changing or bettering themselves. it's the theme of the story. you can think that's boring or not a good theme, but I think that it does a good job of conveying that.

now contrast that with P5 and the phantom thieves which is supposed to be about challenging and changing society. to me, P5 pretty much totally failed to represent that theme through the story of the main game or the character arcs of the MCs. I haven't played the royal additions though and I've heard that they are pretty good.

what frustrates me is just how fruitless all of this discussion has been. I have seen this exact discussion play out what feels like hundreds of times. it feels like 95% of the discussion of P4 is naoto, yosuke, and kanji. it's really tedious. I wish people could discuss different things, like how awful Marie was, how her dungeon sucked, or how good the music is.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Hellioning posted:

Makoto should be cool and good but is instead just the strict straight laced student council president all the time.

She supposedly has repressed anger issues and a tendency to go wild but this only really shows up in her awakening and then she is just Mitsuru. Haru gets more 'wow this person is actually quite violent' moments then she does despite showing up later.

yeah, for the people complaining about naoto's slink above, I think makoto's is the worst. most of it isnt even about her, it's about stalking her friend.... lol. but yeah she really got done dirty after her awakening.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
so I'm about halfway through the second palace in my replay of persona 5, and man, the writing just doesn't hold up imo. it just seems like a game at war with itself and its own main themes. like an obvious part is how the first (and best written bad guy) is all about sexual harassment, and using your power over people in an inappropriate way, and then several of the romances involve that very thing. basically every adult one, and futaba also being extremely egregious. another thing is the phantom thieves outfits, like is it how other people see it or how they see themselves?

I also really am not feeling the main cast at all, other than ryuji. it seems to me that a lot of their personalities change between their introduction cutscene, and their role for the rest of the game. Like yusuke becomes basically "wierdo who can't function at all socially", whereas his personality was pretty different (and much cooler) in his introductory palace. most of the phantom thieves are like that.

also, morgana is 100x more annoying than teddie. lol, literally viewing ann as an object and only liking her because of her looks, literally in the palace of the guy who's a bad guy for doing that. it's weird that teddie has the "rep" of being a sexually harassing wierdo, whereas in my eyes morgana is way worse. also the way that ryuji and morgana talk to each other bums me out so much. they have no respect for one another and are just using each other to reach their own ends. for me (and many others) what was best about p4 was the friendly enviorment of the cast, which is largely missing in p5. there's much more focus on the "plot" which is badly written itself.

lol, theres plenty of good things about the game, the music, and there are really awesome moments I had forgotten (I loved yusukes mask off moment, for instance), but so far Royal has not changed my mind that 5 is way below 4 and 3.

to end with a question (that I think I know the answer to) is there any way to hide the drat dlc personas in the compendium? so annoying having to scroll past them every time you open it. I really wish they let us choose which dlc to activate.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
What it comes down to for me is that teddy is temporary and Morgana is permanent. He's in every scene, and it just gets old very quickly. Probably the most annoying character in the game. If ryuji is the best party member, Morgana's definitely the worst

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

goethe.cx posted:

Yusuke when you first meet him and Yusuke for the rest of the game are like two completely different characters

this is such poor writing imo. same thing with ryuji, and hell, most of the phantom thieves. party member s-links should flesh out their chracters, not be totally contradictory. ryuji in his s link is so chill and has such a good head on his shoulders, and in the story is unbelievably stupid.

makoto is a great example as well I think. other than the fact that her introductory palace has nothing to do with her, her awakening scene is so cool. but then right afterwards she basically goes right back to being a goodie two shoes. constantly badgering people about doing well on their grades. then her s link is also not really about her, where she learns that actually being a total busy body towards random students you don't know is the correct thing to do. it's very oddly done. I feel like her original palace boss was supposed to be the principal. that would've made much more sense, especially with his (nonsensical) prominance in the story. I still don't understand why this random school principal and school are part of the biggggg conspiracy.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Skippy McPants posted:

Makoto standing outside the school all day in the rain during summer break is one of the most depressing things I've witnessed in a video game.

its so odd because they do so much great character work for her, it's clear she's the writer's favorite. following you around while investigating is hilarious. then the s link just drops the ball. I just finished futabas palace in my replay, and I think this is where the story really starts to drop the ball. going from these personal stories to big conspiracies that you're barely personally related to was really dumb imo.

on the other hand, futabas palace and story is awesome. giant mom sphinx yelling you deserve to die, and futaba saying back "shut up bitch, you're not my mom" was awesome. can't believe you can romance her. really disgusting. I kind of agree with something someone said earlier, futaba's personality and story make a lot more sense if she was like, 11 or 12 rather than 15. of course maturity is variable between different people, but still. also how come nobody in the neighborhood knew her (not even the postman who must've delivered her a bunch of poo poo) even though sojiro says that she had only somewhat recently (months earlier) started having panic attacks and being unable to leave her room.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Neeksy posted:

The thing with Yusuke's introduction is that, like, even in high school i was drawing nude models pretty regularly as art training. You get completely desensitized to it pretty quickly and it's kind of just a normal expectation in practice. Unfortunately the game does absolutely no attempt to really get that aspect of Yusuke's lifestyle because the writing about art has little knowledge about the mechanical process of what it takes to be able to learn to draw, paint, render, or put together an image. Instead it went for really stupid comedy for a plan that was not very good in the first place, plus if Ann has been modeling for a while, she should at least be aware of, y'know, the types of modeling that exist in terms of jobs she can and can't take.

The problem with broken clocks is that you don't know when they're technically correct for those two times per day.

I think its weird because several parts of yusuke's intro imply that he is actually horny for ann and doesn't just see her as a model. however, this is all water under the bridge once he joins the party and becomes "weirdo who doesn't understand social norms"

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

FireWorksWell posted:

The anime cutscenes were made at a time when they had a different vision for the game iirc, like relatively early in development. Then they had to adapt them for the new plot.

yeah this is obvious from the fact that most of them involve ogling ann, and they always contrive a reason for joker to not wear glasses.

it's insane they didnt update them for royal. i thought for sure they would fix the fireworks festival where nothing happens or the school trip where nothing happens.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
sorry to bring this discussion back, but it was so perfect I had to. got this event with futaba:

pretty much right afterward, I got the one where futaba calls sojiro "dad" and he says you're part of the family too. I mean how could anyone get the idea that there's a familial relationship between you and futaba?

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
while I do agree that p5s plot and themes are drastically opposed and that's why it suffers (as opposed to P4, where they all work together) to me the worst part of the game is the repetitiveness of the writing. seriously, 40% of the dialogue is repeating something you already heard. I dunno how they didnt have an editor to cut this poo poo down. It also takes me out of the world that every single time you do a palace, you get 10 texts "do you think it worked?????" I wish they had an option just to skip that stuff at the beginning of the game. I really feel talked down to in a way I didn't in p4 or especially p3.

and for people saying "that's anime or JRPG style writing" they do have a proclivity towards repetitiveness but I can't remember another example as bad as this. I love jrpgs and anime as well.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

They really should have made Morgana less awful in royal

I'm a cat person but I have limits

I can't believe they didn't fix the whole beginning of harus palace situation. That has to be the universally agreed lowest point of the game and they didn't change it at all.

Also only letting yoshizawa join your party way later than it makes sense because they didn't want to have to redo scenes from the base game. It sucks because I think she's cool and suffers from haru syndrome (too little time in the base game)

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Lotus Aura posted:

You're forgetting Technicals. They are also boosted in Merciless and deal way more damage than weaknesses (though don't always let you Baton Pass... until you play enough pool). Shadows not having a weakness is absolutely irrelevant.

wtf.... pool boosts technicals!?!?!? lol, i'm entering sae's palace and had no idea.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mailer posted:

Playing through this run, and knowing where the plot goes and how long things go on, this has hit extra hard. Both the characters you get in Royal, and obviously Haru, are great but you don't get to spend nearly enough time with them. I'm maybe 3-4 hours from credits and just unlocked what I'm guessing is the final showtime. Cmon, Atlus, give me more time with everyone.

Semi-related: I started out kind of ambivalent about social stats, but after seeing the cool poo poo from darts/pool/jazz I'm in the camp that they should be scrapped entirely and just have other rewards added in their place. No more blocks on s-links, no more useless late-game points ticking by, and you get to spend all your time picking what you want instead of reading your 20th book in a row trying to get Knowledge up enough to date the school council president.

In all my replays of persona games (on pc), I always max out social skills day one. They're pretty annoying.

also, I'm going through haru's s link now, man she rules. has to be my favorite of the original phantom thieves. her s link is streets ahead of makotos, so much so that I feel guilty about not romancing her. but I've made my choice to go with yoshizawa this game. Futaba's is also really great, but it's insane that you can get with her considering you basically are her therapist.

If I had to rank their s-links, I'd say:

Haru>Ryuji>Futaba>>>>Ann>>>>>>>>>>>>> Makoto

I never really do yusukes for some reason. his schtick wears really thin with me.

I got up to level 8 of Akechis, it's cool but it basically assumes you've played before... otherwise it's pretty spoilerific imo. Also it's funny how he joins for like 10 minutes, and now he gets invited to every phantom thief gathering (like pool)

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

mmkay posted:

I think the worst part of writing to me so far was (December-ish spoilers) Akechi and Shido explaining their whole history/relation/plot to each other for like 5 minutes straight, most of which was already revealed or could be inferred.

this has to be the worst part of the entire game rofl. this and siu director. just everything about the "conspiracy" is such nonsense, and not even in a fun way. imo, the main story peaks with futaba's palace, and then is all downhill from there. I'm really looking forward to the third semester, I've heard great things (and been mostly spoiled)

I did learn from some guide that I hosed up akechis social link by making one small bad choice when I was talking to him (didn't select "I'm your rival") can anyone tell me what I missed or send me a link or something?

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

NikkolasKing posted:

I was thinking of Kashiwagi from P4 and that naturally lead to thinking of Kawakami. You go from mocking your teacher to dating them.

According to the megami wiki, Kawakami is I guess somewhere between 27-33. Kashiwagi's age is not given I don't believe but, again, the whole "joke" is that she's "old" and I seriously doubt she'd really much older then Kawakami.

So, when you think about it, P5 is actually a bit more progressive? Or maybe this is the epitome of a lateral step. At least they gave both women great VAs, love McGlynn and Ruff.

Rofl, it's more feminist because I can gently caress them? Put this post in a museum.

Edit: to give this post a bit more substance, if anything the transition from p3 to p5 shows how much we've regressed. In that game, it's implied to be totally insane that a teacher would be into a student, totally devious behavior, whereas in 5, it's cool... And even encouraged.

Mirello fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

FireWorksWell posted:

You don't really need to play 5 to enjoy Strikers' plot either; context is supplied as needed.

rofl, this must be some of the worst advice I've ever seen. are you serious? if someone went into just strikers without playing 5, they'd be totally lost. it assumes your knowledge of the whole previous game, who these characters are, and their relationships.