Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Is there a way to make a word cloud for a whole thread because I bet this one would be a giant "TRAVIS", a slightly smaller "ENERGY", and then everything else way smaller.

This would of course make Travis very happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Entropic posted:

man, those toxic gurdygate bros

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

See, when I was listening to the episode, I imagined Griffin desperately signaling them to stop making fun of "sexy fonts" before they have another Furry Situation... little did I know they'd actually be cancelled for saying that a Korean word sounds gross.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Pladdicus posted:

it's a dumb world.

agreed

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

Crown of Dadness. Any enemy that fails a save becomes non-aggressive and to be filled only with a desire to wear cargo shorts and to grill.

The possibilities are endless...

Firebawl

Mage Band

Paste

Pope Trick

Control Heather (a very specific spell, useful with certain people or particular plants on the moor...)

Sunbean

... Vampiric Douch

Milf's Acid Arrow, it's just like the regular one but sexier

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Just Chamber posted:

So is a black guest going to come on and have to play a black character so it's portrayed correctly?

"Ron, great to have you back, everybody loved the MBMBAM ep and we're excited to have you on TAZ"

"Thanks, Justin, I haven't played D&D in years. I've been thinking I'll make a gnome illusionist and--"

"Actually, Ron, we've got a pre-genned character for you..."

(I googled "d&d human" and picked this dude, who actually loving owns... look at that armor, look at that spear; spears don't get nearly enough love in RPGs)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Speaking of podcast networks, Season 3 of TWIOAT was pretty drat funny in that episodes would regularly have a standard edited-in-by-the-hosts ad ala moneyzone, but also a network-injected ad for Hello Fresh, and also a different auto-injected ad at the start and end. By funny I mean tiresome, except for one time when an auto-injected ad started immediately after one of them said something like "Ok, here's my American accent impression,"

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Alaois posted:

he's also the reason you can't edit posts on tumblr anymore

you can't just throw something like this out there, what's the story?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

If we get 15 new donors in the next 30 minutes, I pledge to eat this bagel. If we get over $100 of donations in that time period, I will put capers and lox on it too. "No, Travis, you don't have to sacrifice like this!" they tell me, but I'm just. that. dedicated.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The episode in which Griffin reveals he doesn't know "jet" is a kind of black mineral.

edit: obviously this is a innocuous and common thing, i'm not trying to cancel Griffin or whatever, guys

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

thecluckmeme posted:

actually, because The USS Biggest Baby is made of the bones of a dead and long-forgotten god, the boat has a soul! Only a few people can even pilot it! Holy poo poo!

Neon Genesis Ethersea

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

um excuse me posted:

I liked angry Griffin :shrug: I don't want him to go back, but I'd hardly call him insufferable.

Angry Griffin was in the first 100 episodes, you monster. You have been banned from the Facebook group and your account has been reported for hate speech.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

flavor.flv posted:

I would like to thank the brothers for making the fake final yahoos unlistenable garbage so I no longer feel any need to sit thorough the promotional stuff at the end of the episodes

Between munch squad consuming the back half of each ep and the fake finals, I guess we're approaching a point where you skip the first 60 seconds, then listen until you hear another song start, then just mark the podcast as played and wait for next week. Man, what a long outro song, it's like 30 minutes long!

(This week you can also skip the first 16 minutes unless you really need to hear them reinforce how good they think lockdowns are because a boomer sang a song about not liking lockdowns... like a year ago)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

change my name posted:

That song came out like 2 days ago

Wait, Clapton did another one? Didn't he do one last year?

Edit: oh, yeah, he did one with Van Morrison back in December. drat Eric.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Zero One posted:

https://twitter.com/freep/status/1443337827912200194?s=21

Paging Justin McElroy. Justin McElroy please pick up the Munch Phone.

*Travis McElroy does fake Travis gasp at the news*

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I've been falling asleep to a youtube highlight playlist of like 600 videos and the thing that stands out the most to me is their humor used to be a lot more mean spirited. Not in a bad or hurtful way. But the hypothetical characters they would create, would often be terrible and they would have active disdain for them. (First example I can think of is the "writing on the dog" bit.) That and quite a few listener questions where they don't mince words about the person writing in needing to change their behaviors.

I think they still sometimes get into slightly disdainful riffs on hypothetical people... and then kind of collectively realize "oh, gently caress, we probably have some fans who are into this" and then backpedal: "Actually, that kinda sounds dope, to be honest". See the recent episode where they ripped on the "animal pack" wikihow, then realized they might be stirring up Furry Shitstorm 2.0 and clarified that they're obviously not talking about furries and actually the animal pack thing sounds pretty cool anyway.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

This week in MBMBAM, we learn that while questioning authority was good back in ancient Greece, now, ugh, just sit down.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

AndrewP posted:

also one time he switched his hospital waiting room number with a woman too bandaged up to protest and got to cut in line.

His driving habits are also terrible, I saw a documentary on TV once.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Blink shark he love the fat kobold

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Too Many Birds posted:

i dont think anyone ITT has ever listened to a public radio station during a fund drive.

I have, and I treat it just like Mad Fun Drives: I listen to something else instead and come back when it's over.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The World Inferno posted:

Eh, good for him. That seems like a small outfit in England, who might not even be affiliated w/ the official DnD brand. I wouldn't pay that much for the experience, but bless the nerds that do.

I want to live in a world where this is the default path for less than A list celebrities instead of Cameo. Woulda been great if Britney Spears led a campaign in the mid 2010's, or if Gilbert Godfried had.

I would have paid thousands to play in a game run by Gilbert Gottfried

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

stromboni posted:

Take a Chance on Me still the one true theme

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Vonnie posted:

How else would you know who it is?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

ango

I'd love to try that cuisine some day.

it's good, and it's not as uncommon as you'd think. I had some drat good momos in suburban Columbus. Keep an eye out for Nepali restaurants, or sometimes they'll call it an Indian restaurant but the name is like 'Everest' and they have momos on the menu.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Good Listener posted:

Was it Momo Ghar in North Market? That stuff is gooood

No it was a place named Everest in Worthington. Looks like it was maybe a Mexican restaurant originally. We went with some Nepali friends.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

External Organs posted:

Those are always the best twists.

Is worst idea of all time any good? I never listened to it

I cruised through a lot of it in late 2020/early 2021 and the early ones were good, late ones were funny as I got to experience their reactions to the NZ infinite lockdowns.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

flavor.flv posted:

I have seen some burns on this forum the past 15 years but "I can hear the voice of Travis McElroy when I read your posts" is on another level

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Farg posted:

but playing a selfish and sheltered egotist without being unpleasant to listen to is a hard line to ride and Travis can't hack it.

playing?!?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sockser posted:

To be good at Fuser you pretty much just need to be able to count to 4 in time

so you're saying there aren't any Rush tracks?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

What's the record for spin-offs of spin-offs? Big Bang Theory -> Young Sheldon -> whatever they call this turd is a pretty solid chain, but I'm sure there's been something longer.

For some reason I don't feel like Star Trek should count.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

are you suggesting that nobody in the world says the word "auntie" as "ON-tee"

because that's basically how i grew up saying it, and it's also how most Indians say it so that would be... a billion people give or take

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

grittyreboot posted:

I wonder how many McElroy diehards actually sat through their lengthy football chat this week

i was relistening to the old episodes and it always struck me that at least Griffin and possibly Justin do enjoy sports but they would try to obscure the fact because their fans were vidja game people who would pay $100 to get them to say things like "happy birthday to my Doctor Who-loving, bacon-enjoying, cosplayer boyfriend, I love you more than ghost horses"

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sankis posted:

Man, playing BG3 really upped their understanding of D&D 5e significantly

I don't think they've ever uttered the word "disengage" in any prior campaign

I haven't played a ton of D&D but across several groups I've never heard anyone suggest disengaging from combat.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I found the recording of the stream. Somehow watching their real faces all composited together as though they were sitting at one big desk, when they're obviously actually all looking at screens, is even more unpleasant than that animated opening.

Man, I really appreciate the medium of audio, you know?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sankis posted:

Yeah, they've not had many sponsors lately at all. The Besties launched a patreon in part due to that. It seems pretty dire out there. We need some more direct to consumer meal companies to start up so podcasts can get money.

VC money is drying up so there are fewer companies getting funded on the premise of "we'll sell mattresses for $500, and it'll only cost us $550 per unit. we'll make up for it in volume, though"

AndrewP posted:

They should have bailed from Max Fun a while ago, they’d def make more with a Patreon

Jesse Thorn knows where they buried the 4th brother.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 20, 2024

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

change my name posted:

Don't relisten to any Doughboys/Your Kickstarter Sucks eps from the first half of 2020, they all had a case of the bad brains (not that I blame them)

I like the TWIOAT fellas but being Kiwis meant they spent like 3 years toggling back and forth between "oh man it's so nice to be free from my house and allowed to see another human face again" and "well Guy-o, we're back in lockdown, which is... *sigh*... really a great thing, it's for everyone's safety really" like a dozen times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Entropic posted:

Nothing will ever be worse than podcast episodes from November 2016

Give November 2024 a chance