Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Applewhite posted:

I see what you did there lol.

If it was announced before The Boys then it's been in development for like three years at least. Maybe the COVID crisis was the boost it needed to finally get prioritized?

It's been in development since 2016. Steven Yeun was given the job just as he was killed off on TWD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Panfilo posted:

A superhero immune to 199 bullets a day (resetting once every 24 hours) would be a pretty funny superpower.

That's basically Empowered. Emp has a super-suit that gives her immense strength and invulnerability, but the suit itself is not invulnerable and once it's been damaged enough she loses her powers until it can regenerate.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Nephthys posted:

Immortal is a cool concept, yeah. Also am I right in thinking that it showed he was Abe Lincoln?

Yes, the Immortal is explicitly Abraham Lincoln.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Same reasoning that no one recognized Atom Eve: people see what they want to see and aren't looking for heroes all the time or whatever she told Mark.

Another point to consider is that Omni-Man doesn't look particularly extraordinary when he's out of the uniform. He's just a guy in decent shape in his late 40s with a moustache, living a quiet suburban life with his family. Probably a few of Debbie's friends have joked over a prosecco that her husband looks like Omni-Man and just as probably got the response "I wish", but as you say - nobody's really looking for one of the most famous men on Earth on their own street.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

tsob posted:

I was going to say it'd be nice sometime if a story explored the idea of a sociopathic Batman, but that's just basically the story of a rich, entitled and embedded sociopath and that might be both too mundane and too dependent on the abuse of systems and politics for an action show.

There's a few like that. If you want recommendations, the Hunter Rose era of Grendel and Marshal Law: Kingdom of the Blind stand out.

Mr Interweb posted:

i'm definitely enjoying the show thus far, but i think i would have appreciated it more if i hadn't already seen The Boys. sure, The Boys focuses more on the whole mocking commercialization of superheroes, but both shows satirize established marvel/DC characters, so invincible seems like well tread ground already (as well as doing the sociopathic superman thing as well).

but again, just cause something isn't original doesn't mean it's not good

The Boys actually post-dates Invincible by a couple of years, but there were plenty of books treading the same ground before either of them. John Smith's New Statesmen and Mark Gruenwald's Squadron Supreme are two 1980s books that centre around a Superman analogue trying to take over America/the world. New Statesmen in particular has informed Garth Ennis's career; it has the same combination of sexuality and corruption that he used in The Boys, albeit played completely straight. There's also no way Ennis didn't read it because his own comic breakthrough, Troubled Souls, was the story that replaced it in Crisis magazine.

This should not be taken as a contradiction of anything you said, though. Everyone from the Bible to Joseph Campbell has told us there is nothing new under the sun. What makes a story good is how you work with the material.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

False Toaster posted:

Jesus christ... How does this show not have a NC-17 raiting?

In the UK the first and last episodes are rated 18. They're the ones with actual dismemberment as opposed to just bloody beatings.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Panfilo posted:

He mentions to Rudy that it's better that either doesn't know/think about it and each believes they are the 'real' one. If one brother was designated as the 'clone' brother then they'd know they were going to be the 'expendible' of the two. The other part of this is when his consciousness gets copied into the clone, there's a 'coin toss' that determines which mind the original ends up in. It's better if both think that they are the original. Since the original mind/body is gonna assume they are 'superior' they will also be confident and if they each think they are #1 then they will be on board with plans vs a duplicate that might be paranoid they were going to get sacrificed.

OP, this post is a spoiler for an episode you haven't seen yet. Don't click it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

Mostly kind of a shame they lost the part where Mark is largely undamaged until his fight with Omniman. He kinda looks like a complete chump in this season.

Getting beaten bloody to the extent he was by cyber zombies of all things is a pretty bad look.

Omni-Man explicitly states that Mark needs to push to develop his powers. The faster he flies, the faster he can fly; the more he lifts, the more he can lift. It surprises you that he needs to get hit harder to become tougher?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Yes? Because I don’t super care about the Watsonian rationalization, just the narrative result. In the comics he can make a plausible claim to the name Invincible at first and it makes the fight with Omni-Man all the more impactful.

Here, him calling himself Invincible is farcical. It’s like a self deprecating joke.

Well, that's the Post/Username Combo Award won for the week.

Mark's choice of alias is a reference to how all teenagers believe they're invincible and will live forever.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Azhais posted:

He didn't come out as gay until midway through the series. He and Eve actually dated for a bit prior to that

That was during William's "I have a girlfriend because I'm TOTALLY NOT GAY GUYS HA HA HA!" phase. Times having changed a bit since 2006, he's no longer in need of that pretence and went straight to being out.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Flesnolk posted:

I mean, if you think every form of civic engagement and activism other than blowing things up is cringy, I feel like that's a you problem.

I think that if you come in to a thread in the middle of a heated discussion about racial coding and start asking why the black activist isn't rioting and destroying property, your problems are already quite apparent.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I figured Cecil pretty much knew from the get-go and to admit otherwise would mean starting a war with OM before he's ready.

Cecil straight up says he knew Omni-Man killed the Guardians but was holding back until he knew the reason for it. That's why he banishes Damien Darkblood for coming too close to finding out. This isn't subtext, it's just text.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Collapsing Farts posted:

He is irredeemable because he is a mass murderee. But he has also saved the world and all lives on it, seemingly multiple times

Which is the interesting theme. Omni-Man is literally God. He was here before you were and he'll be here when you're gone, and he can save the world or destroy it as easily. This hasn't stopped billions of people in the real world worshipping and even loving God. And those who believe, believe that our lives are God's to do with as he will.

Omni-Man is illustrating a point here: God also believes that he is God. He is a benevolent protector to those who accept him but a bringer of destruction to those who refuse him, because from his perspective our lives are his. And like God, he was willing to sacrifice his only son to bring what he saw as salvation for the world. That moment on the mountain is a reverse Gethsemane: God making every possible argument to stop his son sacrificing his life for the world, and ultimately blinking when Mark refuses to yield.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The gore issue is not the main reason Invincible as a comic sucks poo poo.

It’s the enthusiastic authoritarianism.

It's nice to see you've found a new reason to hate the comic after having been comprehensively dunked on over how stupid the last one was. This time you've picked an argument that can be levelled at almost any superhero comic book except Invincible, though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

uber_stoat posted:

this is a comic spoiler i guess but not a very important one, i was just curious, does Mark ever get a full blown Viltrumite 'stache or does he take after his mom?

Yes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ccs posted:

I wonder if they had kept Amber white like in the comics if there’d be hordes of ppl rallying to her defence. Though there have been plenty of shows where audiences hated the white female character, ex the wife in Breaking Bad.

Everyone in Breaking Bad was white apart from Giancarlo Esposito, who was a clear adversary to the main character. The people who hated Skylar hated her because she was a woman and didn't need extra reasons.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Steven Yeun just got admitted to the Academy. Good for him.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Casnorf posted:

check who plays the principal

It's actually better than that, because it's a reverse reference - Reginald vel Johnson was cast as the principal in the series because the school was named after him in the comics.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Fill Baptismal posted:

Also, if monster girl ages normally when in human form, then her curse is like...not one at all really. She gets to remain young forever basically, as long as she manages to properly time out the intervals that she spends in monster form.

She does, but she de-ages far more rapidly in monster form than she can hope to out-age in the other direction. The price of her eternal youth would be having to stand by and watch other people suffer when she knows she has the power to stop it.

Also there's no saying that she actually becomes younger in any way other than her body maturation reversing. She could end up in a body that looks 16 but is 70, with all the infirmities that implies.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Phenotype posted:

Huh?? They know they have like a hundred more comics to get through, don't they? I don't even understand why season 2 is taking so long. It was a big hit, right? I'm sure COVID slowed stuff down but we're pretty far into business as usual again.

They had to wait for S1 to succeed before commissioning S2. They've decided to run S2 and 3 production together, so if S2 is only four eps, it will be to keep the ball rolling until a bigger S3 can be completed.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Good Citizen posted:

Almost surely not. Do not read any of this if you don’t know what comes next in the comics. We probably need at least a few episodes before omniman comes back into the picture, and that probably takes a few episodes. Then we have maybe an episode of cooldown before lady Viltumite who’s name I forget shows up. And then Conquest is a bit later than that. And really that’s only if they go turbo speed on the ‘main’ story

Likewise ultra-spoilery: On the timeframe we've seen so far, I'd expect Omni-Man to reappear in the last couple of episodes of S2 - possibly Allen will return to Earth because the Coalition have learned of a Viltrumite takeover on the Mantis world and need a third party to deal with it - and they'll introduce Oliver. S3 will be where they spool up into the Viltrumite War, probably ending with Mark's fight against Conquest.

E: a check of the IMDb page shows that Oliver has been cast (as Kid Omni-Man) and the actor is credited for six episodes. So it might be mid-season that we get that plotline.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 21, 2023

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mr Interweb posted:

this is the first time i heard of Irredeemable, so I went to check out the wiki, and...

that's...that's LITERALLY invincible! :lmao:

It isn't. Plutonian is not a conqueror like Omni-Man; he's an insane narcissist who is absolutely desperate to be loved and hates that people are afraid of him no matter how hard he tries. The problem is that they're absolutely right to be afraid of him. He's become like an abusive husband beating his wife while screaming "why don't you love me?", except he's a living WMD and his domestic violence takes place on a global scale.

That's not to say that Irredeemable is good - from what little I've read it's an edgelord take on the theme and even lifts the "Kryptonite condom" from Mark Millar's Wanted - but it's not the same.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

It's kind of bizarre that the most standard Superman-esque stories nowadays seem to be "What if Superman was evil?" or "What if Batman punched Superman in the face?"

That latter is The Dark Knight Returns, and people have been trying to copy it for 30 years.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Good Citizen posted:

Just finished the Atom Eve episode and it was solidly alright. If there was a comic version of this I hadn't read it so it was all new to me, even if I knew the outline of the story by reference

There was a two-issue Atom Eve mini-series, but I haven't read it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Yeah, it seems like a case of a successor, which makes sense given there's at least an 18 year time gap between Eve being born and the events of Season 1.

Maximum of 17, no? Mark and Eve meet in high school.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

November 3rd? Nice.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Episode 1 is up now on Prime. I'm watching it.

E: nothing new for comic readers, but a decent episode.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 3, 2023

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Aces High posted:

unless we're going to get some kind of a reveal later on, Cecil is a pretty big departure from the comic version for this same point. He seems to genuinely care about Mark's mental health, something comics Cecil never seemed to give two shits about for ANY of the supes. Come to think of it, most of the supes are written to have a more team dynamic as compared to the comics. I guess that's an advantage for a tv setting, you can focus on more characters and not have it feel like padding.

Cecil cares about getting the job done right, and Mark can't do that with his head in the wrong place. Series Cecil is more easygoing, but it's not like comic Cecil didn't have a lighter side - for example, he loves using the teleporter and finds excuses to use it whenever possible even though it's very expensive. He's also kind and gentle with Debbie after Nolan turns, not because he has to be but because it's right.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Adrianics posted:

I haven't read any of the comics but obviously got some Kang the Conquerer vibes from the new villain, I think the saving grace of the multiverse in Invincible is at least there's no danger of LOOK WHO IT IS cameos, I'm looking forward to seeing more of the evil versions of Omniman and Invincible; Omniman's so goofy and having a good time :3:

Thing is, though, that !Omni-Man doesn't perceive himself as evil. As !Mark says, they want to end famine, war and disease on Earth and will defend it from other would-be conquerors, and all they demand in return is humanity's complete submission to a superior power that we cannot hope to defeat anyway. !Omni-Man thinks that he is absolutely right to kill anyone who resists or protests because they're spoiling it for the people who survive. And because he thinks he's acting for the greater good, he lets himself enjoy his work.

E: LifeLynx, your criticism is fair but also not complete. The multiverse in Invincible is not about having alternate versions of the same characters. It's there to show us what will happen if Omni-Man successfully conquers the Earth. And the fact that Omni-Man has conquered so many Earths shows how significant a threat the Viltrum Empire really is. All the world's superheroes cannot stand against just two Viltrumites. What's going to happen if and when the Empire forces show up? These are the stakes.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Nov 3, 2023

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

Homie, trump was the symptom not the disease

People keep saying this, but no - Trump is a disease. But he's not cancer; he's whatever minor disease finishes you off when you have late stage HIV. If the American system hadn't already been geared up to accept him he'd just have been another Ross Perot. But as it is, he became a more successful Strom Thurmond.

That said, this probably isn't the place to discuss it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

A lot of very serious stuff in that episode, overshadowing one absolute gem:

"Marry me? What do you think we are, savages? We abolished that law."

"OK, what's the new law?"

"Trial by combat!"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Why exactly is the high school Reginald VelJohnson High School with Reginald VelJohnson as the principal?

Mark attends Reginald VelJohnson High School in the comics. When they made the adaptation they simply couldn't resist casting the man himself.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Shyrka posted:

I just figured since Angstrom himself was a very benevolent/narcissistic guy who wanted to save the world, all the alt-versions he grabbed had a similar mindset and were on board with contributing their experience and knowledge towards the man-made god that would save all realities.

They're also all versions taken from universes where Omni-Man has won. Angstrom is asking them to combine their knowledge and experience in him, probably at no cost to themselves, for the chance to free their own worlds.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

My theory is that Viltrumites aren't actually all that wise. After all, they thought the great purge was a good idea.

Did they think it was a good idea, though? The Viltrumites are basically fascists, and the end point of fascism victorious is the fascists turning on each other in the belief that nobody else is ideologically pure enough. It seems to me that the Great Purge was more inevitable than desirable to anyone.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

SimonChris posted:

The bug's entire story turned out to be bullshit. We have no idea how far away the planet actually is.

Six days travel from Earth.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

TheBlackVegetable posted:

You'd be hard pressed to even leave the solar system in that time

There's no point in saying that when a ship capable of intergalactic travel would have to be able to go faster. Spaceships travel at the speed of plot. We don't need to know the hows and whys of it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

TheBlackVegetable posted:

Yes but I guess that's my point. I think I've mentioned it before but I find it hard enough to suspend disbelief with characters that can annihilate entire cities in seconds and throw giant asteroids back into space yet randomly struggle with punching humanoid sized creatures into submission. Nothing is to scale, and it randomly fluctuates based on what needs to happen

That's not valid. If you're able to accept the premise of a superhuman who is massively strong and virtually indestructible, then it is not inconsistent in scale for another superhuman to exist who is tough enough to withstand them or strong enough to hurt them. Not everyone is created equal in reality, so why is it a problem for you that not everyone is created equal in fiction?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

I guess so. Book readers are obsessed with posting things they've read in books.

It's not always malice. The series is going to the same places as the book, mostly, but at a different pace. The subject under discussion is something that is much further along in the series than it was by this point in the books, and the spoiler given had already happened by the time it reached the place where it is now. It's easy as a reader to get confused - which is why I mostly keep my mouth closed.

Also, just because it did happen in the book doesn't mean it will happen in the show. They could easily take a different path.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I think they're more the Teen Titans.

They're what happens if the Justice League are all killed by Superman and the Teen Titans have to take their place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Takes No Damage posted:

I think the 'book sales' were just a cover for them getting fat government checks, they don't really sell that well.

It's this. Not many authors make enough money to maintain Nolan's lifestyle, and they're all moderately famous or continually productive. If he actually was making that much money from book sales it would compromise his secret identity.