Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Someone on Twitter mentioned Joe in NOAH & now I've already fantasy booked an angle that starts with Joe vs Sugiura & the match is so gruelling that Joe gets invited to join Sugiuragun & he takes Kendo Kashin's place but nobody mentions it & it rules & we get Joe vs Kenoh & vs Nakajima & vs Marufuji & Joe vs Kitamiya & Joe vs Inamura & Joe vs Kiyomiya & it's going to suck when he retires instead of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

MJeff posted:

So does Mojo have anything?

He's friends with Gronk.

Actually I enjoyed him when he first showed up on NXT. He wasn't good but then that wasn't the point of 2013/14 NXT. He had an energy & a kind of natural charisma that was fun to watch in sub 5 minute squashes, & he had an incredibly dumb catchphrase which always helps get you over in WWE. Seem to remember there being a fun squash with CJ Parker when he was doing his annoying hippy shtick. There was something about him that was a throwback, he'd have better suited an era of TV matches mostly being squashes.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

xbilkis posted:

The last time Bryan re-signed was before another major domestic company existed, less than six months after he was finally cleared to return to work for the only big game in America, and at a point in time when he was three years younger and not in the same position to think about how he wanted to wind down his career. Roll your eyes if he re-signs again but I dunno why there would be so much animus toward the guy for what he did under meaningfully different circumstances

Because last time he was talking about Japan & Mexico and then signed back with the E to go doing nothing memorable. What's he done that's memorable since miraculously returning? There was a Brock Lesnar title match & there was the Big Cass feud which was memorable for all the wrong reasons.

Last time I took him at his word and got disappointed and this time I just won't believe until it happens.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

I absolutely refuse to believe this. Not even in WWE is there anybody named goddamn Xia Brookside.

She's Robbie Brookside's kid & she's in NXT UK IIRC.

It's almost her legal name. (Well, almost. Xia-Louise Brooks)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Gavok posted:

Reminds me of Chikara's CP Munk, who was just a guy in a chipmunk mascot costume. Eventually, he was in a tag match against two ROH heels who were trained by Punk and wanted revenge for the offensive comedy gimmick.

Then CP Munk unmasked to reveal he was Necro Butcher "all along."

And then of course CP Munk turned up for Tag World Grand Prix one year with his partner Colt Cabunny, who was Mad Man Pondo.

Chikara could be so much fun.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Rarity posted:

What the gently caress has she been doing for them all this time? :psyduck:

Tweeting for Linda McMahon's boss Trump

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

In Total Divas canon, Eva Marie dyed her hair red so she wouldn't look like a third Bella sister without asking anyone and Mark Caranno got mad.

That was really funny. The only Total Divas I ever saw was some office goon getting mad she dared to change her appearance without permission.

Independent contractor baby!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Total Divas rocked especially when Mox tried to fight some guy who stole Renee's hat

https://youtu.be/sN2sLT9-DyE

This rules.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Erebus posted:

Why did they repeat her "Dean, Dean, Dean" line twice in 40 seconds

I thought the point of reality TV was to at least try to hide that it's all manufactured

Not an avid reality TV viewer but far as I know it's very much "scripted reality" which isn't even really hidden. Basically it's like wrestling, you know it's fake but if you like it it's easy to suspend disbelief

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Good to see WWE have not neutered Sareee yet

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 09:43 on May 5, 2021

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Destroy My Sweater posted:

Sugiuragun? M's Alliance? Funky Express? Stinger? Full Throttle? Kongo? Momo No Seishun? Whatever the hell NOSAWA, Suzuki & Hidaka's group is called? too many stables lmao i'm outta here

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Bring back Rob Bartlett to do commentary again like early Raw.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Reality Protester posted:

She's Dean Malenko

Dean Malenko was a machine who lacked size in an era where that was a way bigger issue and still had a successful career as as ring general who you could put in with almost anyone and he'd make them look good.

Nattie Neidhart has about one thing in common with Malenko, she's a Second gen wrestler. She's obviously passionate about wrestling but she is just very mediocre. Give me a couple hours and I'm confident I could name 50 better women from the Las 2 decades. Probably a random Shimmer show from 15 years ago has 5 or 6.

She was fine by the standards of 2000s WWE women's scene but that was a very bad time for women's wrestling on US TV.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

TV Zombie posted:

Am I wrong in reading this as TAKA trainees not being able to work NJPW and his own Indy? Because that doesn’t make any sense.

It's basically true, albeit with a caveat. TAKA did some sleazy personal life stuff and that was the end of him in New Japan & also guys who occasionally worked there from his indy, K-DOJO. And then K-DOJO severed from too, going as far as to rename themselves 2AW.

Meanwhile TAKA has created a new school, JTO, and so far they run less often.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

coconono posted:

so I should stop calling him a low rent Joe Rogan?

He's definitely better than Joe but that's a low bar. Nah, Jimmy was a good MMA colour guy. No idea how that translates to what WWE does though.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Sami Zayn in BOSJ though.

TBH, WWE using NJPW talent poorly hardly even matters because why would I watch the show Paul?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

TV Zombie posted:

The only reason NJPW would do this is for money and to maybe make NJPW more visible to US viewers?

And to be able to book people like Shinsuke Nakamura, Ricochet, Gran Metalik, Finn Balor, AJ Styles, reDragon, War Machine, & a whole bunch of dudes who've never been in New Japan before but could do rad things like Tozawa, Zayn, McIntyre, Mustafa Ali, Keith Lee, Cesaro, Apollo Crews, Big E, Aleister Black, Walter. And of course BushiRoad also have Stardom ownership.

Let's not forget that if not for a partnership with WCW in the '90s New Japan doesn't have it's biggest ever merchandising success (nWo Japan shirts).

New Japan wouldn't go into this if they didn't think they were getting a good deal out of it. They could be wrong, it could be a disaster, but they are clearly considering it for more reasons than money.

Probably doesn't happen anyway but it's a fun story.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Davros1 posted:

MIRO. VERSUS. ISHII.

This is cheating because Ishii vs literally anybody is a match worth getting excited about. Ishii could make me watch a Cody match. (I'm unfair to Cody, the Dustin match was stellar, it's just that I doubt I'll ever get over the stench of his New Japan run) He could make me want to watch Randy Orton. Ishii is a cheat code.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Braun could walk into a New Japan gig in a flash if he wants it. But considering the nick he's in he should probably just retire.

Ruby Riott is an odd one because you'd assume she'd be a strong addition to an AEW Women's division that needs names.

Aleister Black is a dude who could walk into any company in the world and be a star in a minimal amount of time and that was true before he went to WWE.

You'd figure if Buddy Murphy can get the visa to stay in America he could do a job for a lot of companies, either an indie vet or in an Impact level promotion.

Well, that was a surprising group to get let go

sportsgenius86 posted:

imagine being a legitimately great wrestler like Murphy, Aleister or Ruby and you get shitcanned because "cost cutting" after Eva loving Marie gets re-signed.

That's a red herring, Eva Marie is a terrible wrestler and even a pretty bad "presence" but WWE doing a serious roster cut is well overdue. Even with the names gone in the past 18 months it's still ridiculously bloated. Sucks for people losing a guaranteed income obviously but there's plenty opportunities out there and it is healthy for the indie scene in particular that has been steadily bled dry since NXT launched

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 2, 2021

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

It's definitely looking that way though it could just be Khan deciding there's less value in paying guys to sit in catering. If they are looking to sell them I'd imagine there would be more cuts before too long. Hell, if I'm them and setting up to sell the company then NXT UK gets the axe for sure, that does not add value to the company.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

explosivo posted:

Eh I mean... Braun is really the only one here that feels like a big deal. They clearly didn't even have any value in the other people since they never got properly utilized and I've literally never heard of Santana Garrett.

Yeah, but it shows a 180 from the previous tactic of ensuring guys cannot make money for anyone else, and several of the names do have value from that perspective.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

SexMetalBarbie posted:

yeah he's so high concept and elaborate. he deserves awards for his creativity of I'll be spooky like this video game character because i don't know the actual spooky guy that character was being. QUICK HIRE HIM IMMEDIATELY HE CAN KICK, HE HAS FEET, NOBODY ELSE IN WRESTLING HAS EVER KICKED.

Laughing at the notion that that there can ever be enough of the coolest & best archetype in all wrestling, cool dude who kicks hard.

(Maybe second coolest after stoic dude who drops people on their head, depending on my mood)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

SexMetalBarbie posted:

he had a good match against Dream and Adam Cole at least, before NXT went to poo poo and every match had to feel like a 38 minute epic. so i will give him that. two good matches.

Almost as if he had a career before he went to the company where nobody has good matches?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

1glitch0 posted:

Is anyone even nostalgic for IYH? It was the lovely B level shows between the real PPVs. It's no Clash of the Champions or something.

Kind of! They were shorter and cheaper and that was cool. And while they were often 1 match shows, they were often cool matches, like Bret vs PCO, Bret vs Bulldog, HBK vs Owen. The last WWF tape I owned was In Your House 2 with the Diesel Sid lumberjack match. So that whole aesthetic definitely strokes a few nostalgia zones of my brain.

But not enough to watch a current WWE show

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

MJeff posted:

The streak never becomes a thing in this timeline.

(which, just to be clear, is a good thing)

Giant Gonzalez should have ended the streak.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

Given that we have seen Alexa Bliss do that weird thing with her elbow where it looks like she has broken/dislocated it, (I remember it being a storyline where she would do it to herself and get her opponent disqualified).

Wait, why would dislocating someone's elbow be a disqualification? If that happens it's on you because you didn't tap?

loving hell, why am I trying to act like there's any sense or logic to this company?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Rarity posted:

For all that the presentation of Piper and the potential name sucks, I really like the idea of bringing Eva in with a bunch of Diva-era throwback vignettes and then using her essentially as a manager and Piper looked great in the actual match. She's way better than Nia or Tamina who have both had way more success in WWE than they deserve so Piper's chances of getting somewhere are actually pretty good I think

You missed the key difference, Piper isn't related to former WWE superstars.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

oldpainless posted:

The most I remember of Joe wrestling in WWE was he was presented as a real threat to Brock Lesnar in the build to their match and then Brock beat him in 6 minutes with one F5

Great Balls of Fire

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

explosivo posted:

I completely believe WWE is dumb and desperate enough to just put the cell on TV on a Friday, 100%.

Honestly, is it that dumb? All their revenue comes from TV deals, this isn't the 1990s anymore, PPV isn't king. (Don't get me wrong, I'm sure this'll be disastrously bad, but the idea in isolation isn't inherently terrible)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

TV Zombie posted:

Who did Kronstadt defend his title against one on one?

Please don't besmirch the Brave soldiers, sailors and workers who stood against Bolshevik totalitarianism and for a proper worker's state in 1921 like this

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

DogsInSpace! posted:

You had to know that once he moved to wwe his ceiling was either Tajiri, Kaientai or somewhere in between. Just be happy he’s retired and surfing with only the occasional racist skit. Still better than Kairi fared. I’m a little sad but it’s not my life. God he was so good. Hopefully he saves his money so he never has to do the Virgil circuit.

Shinsuke has been wasted by WWE because he's one of the most effortlessly cool and charismatic men of his generation, but he's won the Rumble, IC & US titles, which is more than TAJIRI, TAKA & Funaki managed combined. Claiming his ceiling is TAJIRI is weird.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

karmicknight posted:

Corbin is going to overthrow the monarchy after the next king of the ring and become first Consul Corbin.

And then The Andrew King Takuma comes out to beat them all up and prove 2AW > WWE

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Can't wait to see how Vince gets excited for a new Otis in Bronson Reed

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Ganso Bomb posted:

Lol of course

https://twitter.com/cagesideseats/status/1407334018253795335

Nothing guaranteed, of course, but not a surprise that they would continue the trend of breaking up real-life couples on TV.

Vince to HHH: Why would I watch the show Paul?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

So Suzuki isn't just a trainer? That's...absolutely stunning to be honest. Can't think of many less WWE guys than Hideki Suzuki.

Excited for the first time he's asked to put someone over.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

coconono posted:

The gently caress is a diamond mine

If there's one thing puro has taught me it's that stable names don't have to make sense to work

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

RealFoxy posted:

I thought his back was as bad as Edge's when he retired, why would he come back so soon

Because he's very stupid

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Eat My Fuc posted:

I don’t really enjoy Nick Khan or think anything he’s doing is good. He’s firing people for a very insidious reason so a few people at the top of WWE can profit massively. I don’t know why people hate HHH so much that they’d pull for some soulless, grimy capitalist to do harm to the wrestling business. At least Hunter’s thing, NXT is pretty good overall, arguably the best WWE program for the last several years as far as consistency goes. It’s highs aren’t as good to me as say, Kofimania or Bianca vs Sasha at mania but they have created some phenomenal stuff especially a few years ago, and for the past few weeks NXT seems to be hitting a new stride with Joe, Io, and that million dollar man angle being positives.

OK, but this isn't doing harm to the broader wrestling business. WWE hoarding talent for the last decade that they weren't using has been harming the business, because wrestling is considerably bigger than one lovely company. There is a dearth of talent on the indies, especially veteran hands who can help the younger generation improve. Meanwhile WWE's roster is absolutely loaded with great wrestlers, men & women, who were signed purely so someone else doesn't potentially make money with them. It sucks for the individual wrestlers being fired but they know that they sign incredibly 1 sided contracts with a monolith that doesn't even know who they are.

Is NXT great? I mean it used to be but at some point, oddly when it became an in-house super-indy rather than a developmental farm, it lost that: it became a touring brand, it lost the looseness that allowed people to experiment with gimmicks & stuff, for things to get over naturally over time. Sure there's a lot of talent, but Sareee, Shirai, Bronson Reed, Cameron Grimes, Stokely Hathaway, whoever else would still be as talented in companies that aren't a complete tire fire. And I'd actually get to watch them if Jonah Rock was in New Japan & Shirai was in Stardom & Sareee was back in places like SEAdLINNNG & so on, so forth. And HHH would be sad and that is truly the best outcome.

Dawg, you deserve to watch better wrestling.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 25, 2021

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Draxion posted:

What is the emotion they are trying to convey here

Don't watch the show is the emotion they are clearly trying to convey.

stab posted:

Just spoke to Matt Martel. What a poo poo loving day. (We were screaming in joy after the Habs win at midnight yesterday)

loving monkeypawcurl.jpg

I really feel for those guys because I know you've mentioned the WWE was their dream job but I don't doubt they'll land on their feet, they are entertaining as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Have to assume NXT UK is mostly safe until the current BT Sports TV deal expires, whenever that is, coz it's extremely cheap filler content.