Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will/did you start SaGa Frontier Remastered with?
Riki
Blue
Red
T260g
Emilia
Asellus
Lute
Fuse
View Results

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

No monster will break your game open, you really have to work to make them work. Hell, unless you know what you're doing with them, nobody in the game will break your game open. Since it sounds like you're not actively gunning to minimize your encounter rank, you should at least have enemies scaling to you decently for the most part.

Take note on the encounter rank thing though, since you don't get stats for doing stuff as Alkaiser you can end up with a weaker Red in the long run if you're not careful with your trump card.

I also found out in my recently finished red run that Doll does too it turns out. Wonder if maybe Silence pops out too when you recruit him, but I haven't checked that yet.

To answer your spoiler: he doesn't, unfortunately.

edit: To answer the above question, it can be worth it for something like Mind/Rune magic where there are spells like Soul Rune or Awakening (name may have changed on Awakening, haven't gotten it yet) where they only affect the caster. Same with sword users getting the gift for light magic for Solar Blade since it's weapon attack power is insanely high

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

W.T. Fits posted:

Question about Light and Shadow magic: Mei-Ling already has two Light spells, but not the gift for Light Magic. Could I buy Light Magic for Rouge, then take Emilia, Annie, Liza, Roufas and Lute through Omble to get them the gift for Shadow (and also recruit Silence if possible), then send Mei-Ling and Rouge through the Light Labyrinth to get them the gift for Light afterwards?

Absolutely. Anyone who has Light magic won't go into Omble for the Shadow magic gift, so you can just buy a single light spell for anyone you wanted to get that gift (so Mei-Ling and Rouge in your case). Same thing with Rune/Arcane magic, just with the added caveat that they have to be present for you getting every single tarot card/rune in order to get the gift as well, so Fei-on is essentially locked out of the Rune gift.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Harrow posted:

I decided what I'm going to do for my NG+ chain is:
[list]
[*]Use different characters each time. This is easier for me now because I already did Emilia and Riki's playthroughs without using NG+. From here onward, everyone is available, and I'll just check them off the list when I use them so I don't use them again (except for in Fuse's scenarios).
[*]Intentionally limit my gear "tiers" via quest progression. Basically I'm using the completion of the Rune or Arcane quests as a benchmark. Before I complete those, I have to use gear that's roughly as good as what I'm finding. After I do, I'm allowed to use whatever I want. I functionally do this already even without NG+. I know how to kit out my entire team in Null Blades, Warlord Armors, etc. within like an hour of starting a playthrough if I want to and the only reason I don't is because I don't want to annihilate the early game. The only difference here is that I don't have to do the Junk Shop trick first :v: The best gear tends to come all at once in SaGa Frontier anyway.

I’ve been doing this in my playthroughs and really enjoying it. I haven’t been carrying over stats/hp/wp/jp which I figure I can do in my Fuse chains, but it’s made me actually use characters like Mesarthim who would otherwise have never made it into my party. Also means the game is at least someone still challenging since I’m not busting out Pluto Armor/Powered Suits on everyone until the end.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Can you give some more details about your set up? How much WP/JP do your party members have? Are you using top end equipment (e.g., Null Swords, Lethal Dragoons, etc.)?

Edit: My set up for the boss was Lute (swords/rune + shadow magic), Captain Hamilton (swords + rune magic), Rouge (light magic), T260 (Null sword + plural slash), Riki (magic heal as Dullahan and ground hit). Lute and Hamilton would use Soul Rune for stat increases whenever it was available and then Spray of Life for Hamilton, and Rosario Impale + Shadow Servant on Lute because he refused to learn Spray of Life. Rouge spammed Gale Blast or whatever they renamed Megawind Blast to, and Riki mostly did some healing every now and then. Also used Mind Heal on any of the humans when they needed healing if Riki was already going to be healing someone else. It ended fairly quickly, but my team was a bit overpowered.

Kagon fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 22, 2021

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Would monsters be worth a poo poo if they could freely stock and equip techniques?

I think something like this would help, but I feel the major issue behind monsters is their inability to approach the damage that any of the other characters can do. Even with some of the higher damage moves and in forms like Dullahan, they’re easily going to be out damaged by characters with attacks like spray of life. I think monsters shine in a few areas (swift heals with magic heal and doing final bosses early with an underdeveloped party since you can beeline a few end game forms), but they don’t really have the utility, damage, or flexibility of the others.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Victory Position posted:

Oof. Harsh. What kind of dodge techs do you need to not get squashed in that fight? Dodge Earthquake, Dodge Gaze, Dodge that one LP-stealing attack?

edit: Looking at the tables linked above, it seems that you need Dodge Smash and Dodge Tremor to get through it. Still, Earth Dragon hits like a truck...

Jet Boots also get around earthquake/tremor based attacks, so that's one less evade you have to worry about trying to glimmer.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Xalidur posted:

Any tips for defeating the Big Diggers in Tataros? They can kill any of my characters in one hit and seem to have insanely high HP.

Alternatively, can I avoid them and come back to kill them later?

I'm T260G using the other three mechs and Gen.

Do you have Logic Bomb on any of your mechs? With high mobility, you can usually make them lose their turn due to inflicting status ailments on them (stun, paralysis, or confusion). It also tends to do some fairly decent damage as well. Using that, I would only see them get a couple of attacks off on me the entire fight.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Xalidur posted:

I do have it and will give that a shot after grinding a bit to try to get more HP. Sounds like I can't leave the area though!

Yeah unfortunately you can’t leave nor return. You can’t even head back if you saved in Leonard’s lab like I did in my current playthrough. As long as you can give whoever has logic bomb the most mobility possible, you should be fine. I think one of the attacks (the buzz saw one) has priority which can somewhat ruin your day, but I rarely saw it occur.

Also, one of the Big Diggers can use Maelstrom, so be careful with that one. It’s in the northern-most switch room after a treasure chest. That one gives Dragon Program when absorbed, so it’s worth it to give it to T260. The others give Maxwell Program (WP recovery in battle), so if you can beat all of them, it’s a nice advantage moving forward.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Xalidur posted:

I was able to defeat them all thanks to the Logic Bomb tip and ZEKE having 99 Mobility. It was worth it!

Now I've got what I assume is T260G's ultimate form and I need to find a way to teach them Multislash before I go after the RB3...

Glad to hear! Multi slash overall isn’t too bad to get since most mechs (type 1 which is T260’s normal body, along with types 3, 6, 7, and 8 which is T260’s ultimate form) can learn it randomly after absorbing high enough rank mechs. Usually rank 4 or higher mechs give a good chance of allowing it to glimmer for them on absorption, so Crab Mechs or better.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Now that I finally get how gifts work, what gift-exclusive spells are worth it? By now it probably doesnt matter since I broke the economy and bought all the cool poo poo, but it helps to know.

I'm guessing Silence isnt worth a poo poo outside of Trophies.

Also, do most of those blank spots on Blue's region-map get filled?

Silence is pretty good in that most Mystics can be made fairly monstrous with the right absorbs. He's more useful (in my opinion at least) now that he actually leaves Omble with the Shadow gift. I mean, he's no Time Lord, but no one other than Blue is that absurd.

Most of the blank spots on Blue's region-map don't get filled. I remember using gameshark codes way back, and they usually link to regions from other people's scenarios (e.g., Junk from T260G or Margamel from Riki) or to areas that clearly got scrapped (one of them is an area that looks like Despair).

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Harrow posted:

Magic stuff

One small correct on Soul Rune- it actually doesn't double WP/JP costs like Awakening does, and it can only be cast on yourself. It's major(ish) cost is that once it wears off, you'll lose 1 LP. This mostly isn't an issue but could potentially be in the boss rush.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I’ve had two guns on Emilia since I got her and she refuses to learn guns akimbo, what gives?

She also hasn’t learned bounding shot which is annoying because it rules.

Emilia actually has the worst gun learning talent out of anyone (and Blue/Rouge, ironically, has the best). This is actually due to the fact gun learning talent and magic learning talent work in the same way and is in part based on their Intelligence. This doesn't mean she can't learn them, but it definitely will take a while.

Here's everyone's Gun talent:

code:
         Blue | 8
        Rouge | 8
         Doll | 6
         Liza | 6
     Mei-ling | 6
       Roufas | 6
Capt.Hamilton | 3
          Red | 3
         Fuse | 2
         Lute | 2
        Annie | 1
      Asellus | 1
       Fei-on | 1
          Gen | 1
       Emelia | 0

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Exactly! It's a great build for Doll and Mei-ling since you can do some fun combos (e.g., shadow servant-trick shots on Doll for tons of damage, Mei-ling can clear out crowds with gale blast and go to trick shot/bounding shot for bosses).

You can also take advantage of the Int portion of the gun learning formula and give guns to people near the end game and watch them learn the gun techs in fairly quick succession if they have decent intelligence. I'm definitely doing this and carrying over techs so a certain Virgil fight can be ended in two turns for that trophy.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Harrow posted:

That strategy will serve you well for the superboss in Fuse's dev room, by the way.

Nobody's beaten the boss yet, but he has insanely high defense so the only way to deal real damage to him is with combos.

Superboss spoilers:

Is this the masked ninja superboss? I've seen some videos of it and was rather horrified how little damage it was taking.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Yeah Mei-ling was like something out of FFX-2 on my T260G run. I will try boosting Emilia’s INT and see if that helps. Do Mystics have that hidden stat for learning magic? Because it seemed like it was taking forever for any of my mystics to learn new magic even with the gift.

They do! Unfortunately, it's at 0 with Emilia. Guess that's the unfortunate side of being an immortal psuedo-vampire. In order to try to speed it up, you can absorb stuff into their Fae equipment that boosts intelligence (e.g., Sphynx is great), but this can often be a bit of an ask to do at any given point based on your battle rank.

Edit: to make this even more of a pain, you can at least speed up Emilia's magic learning rate by sealing all her techs and giving her magical mastery. Since this is impossible for mystics, they will (unfortunately) tend to be your slowest magic learners in most cases.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

You can also some interesting effects of it monitoring who has joined you in the background. For example, if you start Emilia’s route, her stats tend to be exceptionally low (50Hp, many stats below 10). However if you do the arcane gift quest for the gold card, it will replace that stat block with the one that she would have joined you with even if you don’t recruit her. So NG+ at that point and suddenly you have a 230 Hp Emilia with most stats in the 20’s.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Harrow posted:

My turn to ask a question:

To do the Time and Space quests, you need to have done at least one of Light or Shadow and at least one of Rune or Arcane. My question is, does the Light/Shadow one count if it's your party members doing the quest offscreen, or does your protagonist have to have done one of them? In my Asellus playthrough, I'd love to get Shadow Servant for both Asellus and Time Lord, but if I have to have Asellus get one of the gifts before I can even recruit Time Lord, that's clearly not going to be possible.

This should count, though I admittedly haven't tried it. You should be able to buy one of the shadow magics for Asellus and then send the rest of the party in to meet the requirement. Afterall, in T260G's quest, you can recruit Kylin, and she can't get the gift for any magic- it just looks that you have party members who you sent there (I sent Gen in for light to get solar blade and then did the rune magic quest).

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

That is absolutely the true Riki scenario experience. I only beat that scenario much later after how to get Mariche was common knowledge, and it was still a thoroughly unpleasant experience. I'm very tempted just to load up my NG+ crew and just chew through everything with Spray of Life Gen and fully kitted T260G.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Grevlek posted:

Hi thread! I've picked up RS 2, RS 3, and SF on the Switch, and I'm bouncing off them a bit when I'm trying to get into them.

I really loved Final Fantasy Legend 2 on the Game Boy, I've probably beaten it a dozen times since I got it in the mid 90s. But for whatever reason, I can't find a character or scenario in any of the three games above that I can play for more than an hour.

I really want to get into this series, where should I start? I tried to do the robot guy last night in saga frontier, and got a game over screen at the battle arena. I was pretty salty and just went to bed after

SaGa Frontier like Harrow is a great starting place, as it has the least obscure mechanics of all the SaGa games that you chose.

RS3 is a wonderful game, but who you choose as a main character can make things more complicated. I would avoid Sarah as an initial choice, as she has some spoiler issues that can potentially really complicate things for you down the line. Despite having really obscure mechanics, Mikhail can be an excellent choice, as his ruling minigame allows him to make 2 copies of any forged equipment without requiring the necessary items for them which is incredibly powerful. Using that, you can get some of the best equipment way before you should have access to it. However, without really good knowledge of the minigame, you're likely going to get the bad ending for him.

I would say a good starter character for RS3 is Khalid, as his stats are incredibly good, he has some unique content, and he gets an initial sampling of Mikhail's war/ruling minigame to see if you're interested in it.

I love RS2, but it's very janky, and you can easily fail various scenarios. That doesn't mean you lose the game; however, it can prevent you from recruiting certain classes or gaining certain regions. I think it's an interesting take on the generational mechanics in that each emperor you have inherits all of the skill levels of your previous ones. I think a lot of people bounce off of it in that 98% of the characters in your party are essentially generics that represent certain classes. It's a very unique game though with the empire building mechanic (though it is basic), but it hits a certain spot that I love.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Arzaac posted:

Listen, Gen said he was gonna look after T260G and that's what he's gonna do, plot be damned.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Xalidur posted:

Finished Asellus' route. That took somewhat longer than T260G and *a lot* longer than Blue! It was a good time though. She's incredibly strong and Mesarthim rules too.

I am running though Riki's now. I have no idea how monsters work and my eyes glazed over quickly when I tried to read a guide, but I lucked into making him a Kraken what felt like absurdly early so he's having fun spamming Maelstrom.

...as a skeleton now because I kept absorbing and he eventually downgraded, oops.

What are some good single target moves to go for Monster-wise? Maelstrom kills packs but he doesn't have much to add against beefy boys.

One of the consistently good single target skills for monsters is Shockwave. You can get it relatively early on, as a number of undead (including basic skeletons) have a chance of giving it to you (along with skeleton knights in Sei's tomb, scroptions, Axe beaks, and other monsters). For later game, there's Griffin Scratch which comes from Black Dragons but is a huge pain to get. The only repeatable easy(ish) to access sources are in Mosperiburg for the Shield card or the dragon enemy in Furdo's workshop. Griffin can also give it, but the only one that exists is in Asellus's scenario, and you're much better off letting a mystic absorb it for the +25 to all stats.

There aren't any single target moves that reach the heights of human/mystic abilities, unfortunately.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

RS3's sparking system isn't as much of a nightmare as trying to figure out RS2's (oh sorry, this character who USUALLY specializes in short swords is actually a great sword sparker this generation, no you will not realize this without looking up the tables) as there's significantly fewer spark types, you can control the MC's spark type with the character selection at the beginning, and the mastery that Reco mentioned. Crowns are nice but are kind of a nightmare to maintain. In order to maintain a weapon crown, you need (max TP + 5) / (max MP + 5) ≥ 10, and for the magic crown you need (max MP + 5) / (max TP + 5) ≥ 10. This can potentially mean crowns for some characters are impossible, as they may join with too much TP/MP to even get a crown, and your weapon masters can barely use their magic ever without risking losing their crown.

The mastery can make life much, much easier, as Greatsword Katerina is going to have some issues sparking a few techs which Ward can easily spark, but Ward can't spark some of the really good late-game ones that Katarina can- this can essentially allow you to get the best of both worlds. It also means doing some early recruitment of specific characters (Fat Robin for Screwdriver) can get you some really strong techs very early by mastering them.

Magic mostly is supportive in nature, but Shadow + Earth magic makes a pretty disgusting combination when you have Hypergravity, as it's the strongest damage spell in the game. Decent mages can pull out huge numbers with it, and a Scholar Thomas with no weapon specialization can potentially blast out 7000+ damage with those which nothing else in the game can compete with.

While the NG+ isn't as granular as SF's was, it does reset the character's Hp, so in my playthroughs I was able to rotate around and reuse some of the same characters again but with different weapon choices. One thing to always keep in mind is that your actual stats are completely fixed throughout the game- so a character will never gain strength unless you put on equipment that raises strength. It's all about your weapon/magic levels like in RS2. It does allow you to transfer all mastered techs over which can be nice for 1) getting some of the usually hard to spark techs onto characters that you're using a new weapon with 2) allow you to keep mastered evade skills which is very, very critical for a powered up final boss.

Also Boston is the best character in this game or any game, and I won't hear otherwise.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Harrow posted:

I know about the "greed" mechanic, but are there any other obscure mechanics that can gate side quests and stuff in RS3, like the way Minstrel Song uses event rank or anything?

I'm guessing, much like Minstrel Song, the draw of repeated playthroughs is using different characters and maybe seeing different side quests, since everyone has the same main plot.

Battle rank can only interfere with one quest line, I believe. If you wait too late to start the Lance transport quests, the thieves are replaced with monsters. This later means you can't fight the thief boss in the Thieves' Cave, though I believe it can still be unlocked eventually by talking to the old lady in Stanley who will also open up the Ancient Ruins eventually.

You can screw up the Professor questline by selling all of the pets she wants you to capture to the guy in the Zweig pub. This may interfere with the Kidlanto quest with Nina, but I'm honestly not sure. Starting the Kidlanto quest with Nina DOES end the strange pets quest from the professor, so it's possible to miss that if you do the events out of order.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's based on the character's name and not the generation. IE: Achilles is actually the same sword type as Samurai, who you don't normally get access to until late in the game, so if you want them for early sparking and they aren't available, you could just wipe parties until he comes up in the list for the mercenaries or whatever class he is. The monks in the dragon den are mostly focused on fist-based martial arts with a few exceptions as well IIRC.

It's really annoying and yeah you definitely want to refer to guides if you're trying to spark specific techs in RS2, which you should do since anything you learn will carry over to future generations as long as the party member(s) with the new tech(s) are alive when the current generation ends.

Yeah that was poor wording on my part- I meant that since it cycles to the next character in the list of all the units on generation switch. I definitely did my fair share of killing off certain characters to be able to cycle the list to have a nice group for the final emperor as well. There's at least some good documentation scattered around that helps pair names with spark types since it's even more impenetrable than normal.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

I think a good bit of the love for Katarina is that she has more of a storyline than quite a few of the protagonists, she has a rare spark type with greatswords chosen (that's only shared with two characters- one of which is end game only for most protagonists, and one who can be recruited early through a trick or is otherwise gated behind a major boss), and she can only be recruited on her own route. Khalid and Mikhail briefly get her for a portion, but she leaves right after. If you switch her to bows and artemis, she's also the best archer in the game by far.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Harrow posted:

Sounds like maybe she's the rough equivalent to the Asellus of the game maybe? Or, y'now, as close as you get for a very different game.

Maybe I'll do Julian first to familiarize myself with how things work and inevitably gently caress up a bunch, then Katarina second. Sorta like how I started Minstrel Song with Albert because he seemed like a decent enough generic starter guy and it let me make all my mistakes before I got to the cooler characters.

I think Asellus is the closest analogue to SF. Julian is a good starter considering he does have an extended prologue to get you more used to everything.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Harrow posted:

For anyone interested in doing the Fuse boss rush with the powered-up final boss at the end: don't do Blue's first. I thought it'd be a good one to do, since you get Life magic so you have an extra healer who can cast Reviver, but holy poo poo that boss is rough when he's powered up.

From what I've seen, Asellus and Riki's final bosses are the easiest ones to do in super mode because both can be brute forced--if you have a high damage team, you can take them out before they're able to wear you down. Red's and Lute's seem to be the hardest, which terrifies me because Blue's is insanely hard.

Question about this since I'm an Asellus playthrough- if you do Blue's boss first in the case file, does that unlock Life Magic for each of the subsequent fights for him? I was actually thinking of leaving Red's for last because of Alkaiser, but that's making me rethink things.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Harrow posted:

I'm breaking up the superboss prep grinding I'm doing by starting Romancing SaGa 3. Started with Julian and I'm amused at how quickly the game just goes "oh yeah, go hang out with this friendly vampire, he's cool." Yep, this is a SaGa game all right.

I mean, he's been allied to Loanne for centuries and only uh. occasionally turns people into blood sucking monsters. What's not to trust?

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

I have read that Wonder Bangles can be very helpful for a number of the super bosses, as some of the really nasty attacks (e.g., Diva's Gale) can be blocked since they're coded as piercing damage. I still haven't managed to farm up any Dullahan Shields yet, so it may be a thought if you're unable to provide that more general coverage to everyone.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Ardryn posted:

Wait it's reverse order? I read that it looked at the absorbed skill and then went from 1-7 and the info on the Essence blog seems to confirm this? https://essenceofsaga.wordpress.com/home/book-index/monster-system/ The checkpoint section a little ways down this page specifically.

What you're talking about, I believe, is the monster form that gets chosen. What Ace was referring to is the skill that's absorbed when you absorb a monster- essentially, it checks to see if you absorb the rarest skill, failing that moves to the next, etc. until you get to the last skill which has a 100% of being absorbed. For the monster transformation you get, the skill in the last slot gets highest priority due to the old system always overwriting that skill (which is now gone in remastered).

Edit: to use an example, I have Riki absorb a Crystal Tree in my futile attempt to get Magnetic Storm. First, it checks do I absorb it Magnetic Storm (1/32). Failing that, do I absorb Stone Gas (1/16)? Failing that, do I absorb Windfall (1/4)? If I failed each of these checks, I absorb Needles. This is also explains situations where you absorb nothing (e.g., You already have Needles on Riki and failed to get any of the rarer skills) and why you may notice you shift back and forth between say Needles and occasionally Windfall when overwriting the same slot. Magnetic Storm is a lie, do not chase it.

Kagon fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 8, 2021

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Snake Maze posted:

In the remaster it's the new skill you absorbed that gets priority, not necessarily the last slot. The actual behavior of monster transformations is the same (ie: it looks at the new skill first, then the rest of them are looked at from top to bottom)

This is good to know and makes a lot of sense. Also helps explains some monster shifts I got that were not expected.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Mosperiburg & Riki’s final dungeon are both indoors, right? So I can dump photosynthesis?

I also have water cannon on him for the Vergil fight. Is that his end boss? Or is it right before the final dungeon?

I can’t speak for whether they’re both flagged to not allow photosynthesis to work, but you’re likely safe to dump it regardless unless you’re planning on using Kylin to Light Shift to force it to work.

Virgil isn’t the last boss, but his fight is after the point of no return. The final boss comes shortly after. You can reconfigure your party and equipment, but you won’t have an opportunity to fix Riki’s skills, so go into that fight with what you would want for the final boss + water cannon if you want to trivialize Virgil. If you would rather extend the fight for a better skill, any combination of water cannon + sonic cannon can chain with themselves/each other to create a number of level 4 combos.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Can you get Zozma in any of the Fuse case files? I'm working my way through Asellus's story as the last one I have to do but completed Emilia's case file and didn't see him anywhere in that one.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Ok excellent, that answers that- thanks!

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Mill Village posted:

Last night Cotton finally learned StoneGas but he won't turn into a Crystal Tree, despite having all the other moves needed. 697 HP isn't enough? I had an easier time getting Thunder to turn into a Black Dragon on my Asellus file.

What form is he in instead? If you can show that and the skills, it may help diagnose what's going on there. It may be that you either don't have enough prime hp (essentially the hp the monster has before you factor in what the form gives you), or you're meeting qualifications for other forms that are taking priority over Crystal Tree, or both.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

So Butch just requires Poison Needle for one of it's forms- that could be responsible. The other thing is that your prime hp is 268 which may be a bit low for Crystal Tree. I haven't found anywhere that actually lists what minimum Hp you need to shift into it. My guess is you may need 300+ hp which would be 8 new skill absorbs. So if replacing poison needle doesn't do it, I would just keep absorbing new skills while keeping Siren (since that's pretty nice for AoE).

Another thing you could do to check if it's something due to prioritization would be to absorb Blade from the mantis enemies- they show up in Biolab pretty often. If there's still no shift, you likely need more prime hp.

Kagon fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 9, 2021

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'd pay 80 bucks for a HD Minstrel Song.

Same here- it wouldn’t make any sense to just port the original RS1 given the massively upgraded Minstrel Song. Which makes me think that’s what’s going to happen instead.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

But how else will I defeat all fatestone Saruin but fusion spells and castle knights? This coming out so near Tactics Ogre is killing me

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

mp5 posted:

Whenever anyone posts about doing Riki's quest for the first time I always wonder if they're using Mei-Ling long-term and setting themselves up for a rugpull

This absolutely happened to me the first time I played it, and it made everything incredibly dicey. In those young and foolish days, she was my only one with healing magic as well, and I hadn't trained anyone else up at all, so I was pretty properly hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

If I remember correctly, they’ll only let you in if you’re on the Arcane magic gift quest.