Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Xand_Man posted:

That's why horror tabletop is such a tricky beast, PCs gonna PC

I thought it was funny how in one of the Starstruck Adventuring Parties, Brennan pointed out how in the more serious games the players have been like this, being more silly and lighthearted, where in the Starstruck the world was more silly and lighthearted and the players were taking it much more seriously, making plans and thinking tactically about things.

I mean, it might not have been MUCH more tactically, but still.

Favorite part of this week's episode though was Zac's reaction to being asked if he wanted to look at the Stepmother .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
For those of you who wanted more lore in the current Dimension 20 series, this week's episode is for you! I don't know that I figured anything out, but I know more about the world(s) I suppose.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

tsob posted:

I do want an answer to Brennan's final question in the round: "Did his heart rate break at a certain bird? Or right away"?

I desperately want to know this.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
That dogfish mini/maxi was I think my favorite mini/model that's been on the show since the lava mog way back in Escape from the Bloodkeep.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

CatstropheWaitress posted:

https://twitter.com/dimension20show/status/1630274064924155910

On the one hand, neat! On the other, doesn't he have enough shows already lol.

Oh yeah, this is neat! I hope Brennan will be a player but I guess he's got a lot of other poo poo going on. The only time Brennan has been a player with Matt as a DM was the Elden Ring one shot, right?

Be cool to see what Matt comes up with for a "short" campaign.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

MikeJF posted:

I see goblets, pillars and domes, cathedral spires. Is that a thurible/censer on the left? Are we going religious here?

On the other hand, there's an electric powering up sound and mechanical noises in the background.

Steampunk themed maybe? I'd be hella down for that. I have vague memories of Matt saying he really liked that look/theme but I might be misremembering. It's also not something that's really been done in Dimension 20 yet IIRC.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Just started the Gamechanger episode, I was happy to see that at the start Brennan had a big bag of almonds immediately at hand.

Edit: That was fantastic.

boxen fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 7, 2023

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

tmm3k posted:

Honestly that was the right call for the contestants to leave Sam tied up in the bathroom for a little longer. Still trying to figure out how he got in there and switched from a live video feed to something prerecorded.

I think there's a window right next to him. I think when all three contestants were getting close to solving the puzzle in the little room, that's probably when the switch happened, just when none of them were able to see the screen, and then a quick run with a helper 'round the back way (maybe over the roof?). I do wonder what we missed with what was supposedly an hour long timer on the bomb, but only a 26 minute episode.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I was wondering how long some of that stuff had been set up. I remember seeing some kind of behind the scenes or interview with some dropout people that was in that room, but I don't remember what or when it was to go back and look for differences. You'd think a bunch of cameras suddenly showing up would be a huge tipoff but maybe the contestants were just going along with the bit.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

MikeJF posted:

My understanding is that they film most of the Game Changer stuff as a pretty short block, so it's likely the room was set up in its current configuration ready for this from the start of this season's filming anyway.

That was my guess, with some of the bigger stuff (guitar, coat rack, cameras) being moved in some time before to not raise suspicion and then things like the Doritos and RC car added day-of.
Does it look like the bit with the posters was necessary or just a distraction? They moved to the next step but could they have found it without doing the posters? The subtitles said there was an unlock noise but I don't know if that was added in post.

Also, whoever did the subtitles for this and other shows was having a good time.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

outside of physical force/breaking poo poo/being a dick you're well within your rights.

I mean, even force/breaking things might be allowed depending on the escape room. The ones I've done gave you explicit rules for what was and was not allowed, for example "you will not need to break anything to get out of here". I think it wouldn't have been completely unreasonable for Siobhan to kool-aid man through the door rather than picking it (yes I know that's unlikely but it'd be REALLY entertaining). There was definitely some slight level of destruction involved in opening the little door to the secret room that had been plastered or painted shut. It was just very easy to do because it had been designed in as part of the task.

I assume some of the time that was edited out was going over the rules, else I find it hard to believe that Lou would smash a guitar that didn't belong to him IMMEDIATELY after they started.

It's a game of wits, and outsmarting the game is never a bad thing!

See also: using Facetime to make driving the car a lot easier . That would have taken MUCH more time if not for the clever solution.

This all got me thinking, Rage Rooms are a thing and Escape Rooms are a thing, someone has to have come up with some sort of hybrid where you need to smash AND think. It'd be like chess boxing.

boxen fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 7, 2023

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

enki42 posted:

If they just picked the lock in the first place pretty much the entirety of the escape room is invalidated, and escape rooms are definitely supposed to have a bit of a "script" and order of operations to them.

Agreed, but its about how you define your goals and how people interpret the spirit of the thing. It could be argued that the fastest way to get out of the room would be to call 911 and say you're being held against your will and provide the address. I think a big part of having a time limit was to encourage them to go through the sequence rather than just trying random things, and also yeah picking the lock at the beginning would have invalidated a bunch of it but they'd also be left just with access to the bathroom which they didn't even know was part of it, so why would they even try?

It's a bunch of improv people, they tend to go off-script. Sam said at the end his partner for the design of it ran an escape room company that had won some awards, so I assume they knew what they were doing. I doubt they cared much about how everything was solved, as long as it was entertaining.

For all we know, the first run of the escape room was three different people who just brute forced everything and it wasn't fun to watch.

tsob posted:

I assume things like bags of sweets and chips are going to be pretty standard in a greenroom.

Theoretically they could just have unlocked the bathroom door without any of the rest of it, so by that logic the entire thing is really just distraction. The posters gave them one more hint they needed to actually do it.

I meant they added the specific bag with the card the day of, things like that. Things like the rabbit on the wall I'm not sure, you could easily add that in advance but you'd think someone would ask "why is this random and not very creative sticker on the wall" but personally I'd probably just see it and go "huh, that's weird" and immediately forget it.

For your spoiler, yeah I agree but I imagine some of the contestant selection process was to pick people who'd get into the spirit of the thing (Brenna being fully unwilling to let sam "win" and so playing by the rules of the game, for example) rather than immediately just trying to get out through any means necessary.

I think this is the only Gamechange episode that I've finished and immediately rewatched. Twice.

boxen fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 7, 2023

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Xand_Man posted:

Brennan as a horse experiencing a mental breakdown is Very Good

Someone photoshop in a bag of almonds.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

boxen posted:

Does it look like the bit with the posters was necessary or just a distraction? They moved to the next step but could they have found it without doing the posters? The subtitles said there was an unlock noise but I don't know if that was added in post.

The BTS answered this at least, the poster step was necessary, but the contestants didn't hear the unlock noise so Sam had to guide them a bit.

I would have loved a MUCH longer BTS episode.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

double nine posted:

I'm dying for another season of mice and murder

Was it good? I watched the first episode or two and couldn't get into it for some reason. I've been thinking about giving it another shot since Neverafter is wrapping up soon and I need my fix.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

My understanding is that basically none of the on-screen talent are employees of the company. They are actors/comedians being hired for gigs. Then they generally film a few different shows in the time that they are there for.

I think Brenna maybe is employed by CH/Dropout just because he's got so much more to do with the planning and production of Dimension20 stuff, but even that might be more a longer-term contract than a gig.
He and Sam were guests on a charity stream I watched awhile back, Sam was giving Brennan a bit of grief about having a crappy chair and office setup. Sam told Brennan that the company could provide better stuff for Brennan since it was work- and health-related, that leads me to believe Brennan might be more of an employee but it also might be reading way too much into something that was said.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

The end of this weeks episode of Never After is an all timer. What a cursed man.

The following adventuring party is wonderful chaos as well.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

tsob posted:

The latest episode of Umm, actually! is great. Brennan, Ify and Siobhan and Siobhan is a good combo, and Siobhan is both pretty savage when needling Brennan about his competitiveness and comically frustrated when he starts exploiting the rules in small ways and it makes for a fun contrast. A couple of "you forgot to say 'umm, actually's in there too", which is always fun.

I loved the bit where Siobhan buzzed in and answered, Trapp said she didn't say "Umm Actually", Brennan quickly buzzed in and did the Umm Actually version of Siobhan's answer, and Trapp said "Sorry, that's incorrect." :discourse:

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Insurrectionist posted:

Subscribed to Dropout for the first time. Before I go through too many seasons of D20, I was wondering if there is any list or other way of telling what content is only available on Dropout? I've watched CH's youtube for a few years and caught a bunch of one-off Dropout teasers they put on there, plus the regular release stuff like No-Laugh Newsroom. If not I guess I'll just have to try and remember while watching.

I don't think there's an easy way, other than browsing dimension 20's (https://www.youtube.com/@dimension20show/videos) and collegehumor's (https://www.youtube.com/@collegehumor/videos) youtube channels and comparing.

For full seasons of Dimension 20, I THINK the only full seasons that were ever on youtube are season 1 of Fantasy High and Escape from the Bloodkeep.

If you're planning on blowing through all of the Dimension 20 seasons, one nice thing Dropout has (for newer seasons, at least) is playlists of the episodes immediately followed by the Adventuring Party for that episode. I really liked watching an episode and then its talkback right afterward, versus watching the episode, browsing to the other show, and then trying to match up which AP was for which episode. I think they're called the "Complete Edition" or something? IE, "A Court of Fey and Flowers Complete Edition" or something similar.
There's also audio-only episodes/playlists if you want to listen to them more like a podcast.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
The blopplegangers episode of The Seven hits different when you're home sick with a sinus infection.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Never after might not be the best season of Dimension 20, but the mini's auction is going to be amazing. Starting May 1.

Personally, I'd go with the Dogfish.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Yeah, they got good money for the ACoC minis.

https://old.reddit.com/r/Dimension20/comments/wn57lx/auction_data/

While looking for auction data, I read on Reddit that a group of people had got together $11k for the Cruller mini and got outbid, but donated the money to charity anyway. Rick Perry was so touched he made them a second Calroy mini. Now the group sends it around to each other and takes pictures of it in various places.

https://twitter.com/whereiscalroy

boxen fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 15, 2023

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I thought all episodes were recorded in a freezing warehouse in Van Nuys at 3am?

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
If Brennan isn't some sort of almond concoction I will be very disappointed.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Lack of almonds is disappointing but I am fully on board for more food-related puns.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I'm excited to see a recipe for a pickled cream-filled blueberry.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Pleads posted:

I'd forgotten the tonal whiplash the series gives you with Game of Throne's-esque politicking mixed in with lines like "Jessica Rabbit as a mango" and "knight yam-riders, it's yam rears up!"

This is my favorite part of it, and I love the fact it's just going to keep happening.

Has it been announced how many episodes The Ravening War is going to run for?

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

seaborgium posted:

Looks like one of them is Ross Bryant, and he's no slouch so it should be a good episode.

Whoever loses, we all win.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

OH NO THEY'RE ALL STUCK IN THE GREEN ROOM AGAIN

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Are you talking about the guy next to Sam? I think that's Michael Schaubach.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

MikeJF posted:

Nope, that's BDG, he's got the big hair look right now.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Nah it's BDG

Huh, apparently I couldn't see past the glorious facial hair. Oh well, I enjoy both of their work!

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Brennan's emotional journey during this whole episode was just :discourse:

Excited for the followup AP today.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

DeathSandwich posted:

If it wasn't this last AP episode, I know for sure he's talked about it somewhere before.

Ravening War Spoilers:
I thought the inclusion of a fungus-themed people/entity was interesting, if we follow the food theme a fungus/mold could be something that happens to food to make it "bad"/inedible (maybe saving it from The Hungry One?), or there's even just straight up mushrooms like a portobello that's a food itself. Really curious to see where that goes, and I'm happy that it's Brennan's scheming character who might get into it.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I love Brennan being unhinged, and I love Zac being... uncomplicated.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

Nah Brennan got to go full bird facts during another prompt

The most ironic thing is that it's a myth that ostriches bury their head in the ground, and Brennan mentioned that as part of the roast. FAKE BIRD FACTS!

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Here's hoping the next full season ends up being a return to Starstruck. Man that season and world was rich.

I think the Junkmother is my favorite NPC of any Dimension 20 season.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

MikeJF posted:

I'm waiting for someone to use Stacy Fakenamé

AnaSTAHcia Fahcknamé

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

DeathSandwich posted:

Speaking of, man they finished their first major arc and the entire thing has been so good. Fox never stops being the best character.

Favorite fox line: "I couldn't reach the orb."

I really wanted a scene of Steel interrogating the fox about running off into the woods.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

whydirt posted:

Get in the comments!

One of my biggest disappointments with a Dropout subscription is the lack of comments on the videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Their discord is not the worst discord in existence. It's certainly not the best either. It is a discord server.

But... I don't WANT to get in the Discord, I WANT to get in the COMMENTS!