Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
There is no way San Magnolia is in League with the Legion. They are far too stupid to consider something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ninjewtsu posted:

(i'm guessing the artillery will effortlessly wipe out a huge wave of legion once they've broken past the 86 in a disgusting demonstration of how almost no one would have to die if the republic was at all invested in preventing casualties)

This I doubt, given how stupid they have been, I would not even expect the artillery to even be manned right now.

Like everything about them I have seen is ineffective and stupid, given that the whole reason they have taken on their current horrible strategy is because they were unwilling to risk their own necks.

Raenir Salazar posted:

It's fairly difficult for most people to knowingly sacrifice members of their family; even in Nazi Germany. Most likely I think he is only vaguely aware that there was likely a conspiracy to kill his brother, and ultimately maybe he begrudgingly accepted it for the good of the republic. But I think his niece is probably a line he won't allow to be crossed without directly intervening.

Yeah I could see him removing her from command, but I doubt he would do anything super terrible to her. He's a poo poo person, but he probably cares for his family.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 26, 2021

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The Legion also does not seem to be trying as hard to win. It seems to be building up it's forces while capturing more humans for it's plan to make itself live longer.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well the uncle is bad still. He did give Lena the job to give her a reality check. Also the whole cares more about making sure the 86s are wiped out before the Legion is supposed to shut down.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well the Military is also incompetent as a whole, as they seem to see competence as a problem trait for officers to have.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
And their unwillingness to risk their own lives caused them to send their minorities to fight the battle for them. Which they eventually also turned into "better make sure all of them die so they don't tell other people that we sent them to deaths in place of ours." And meanwhile the military officers drink and lounge about on duty, and their artillery, and other resources that could be used to help the battle goes unused.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ninjewtsu posted:

hey, was the alban in the after credits bit the racist uncle? don't get much of a look at him but they both have the same facial hair and the other facial details seem similar too

I think it was Annete's dad the one who killed himself cause of his guilt.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Listen we know they are terrible and horrible, despite matter too much. What words are used for their horribleness?

Also on other things, I am surprised Spearhead is down to it's last five members. Though I was also kind of shocked at Daiya and Haruto's sudden deaths. (Haruto particularly cause it was almost off screen)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

LibrarianCroaker posted:

The couple of shots in the last episode after the artillery that still have those four in them do not help with that.

One of them even has a speaking line.

I thought there was another artillery strike at the start of 8 that killed the last four.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think the show has been a bit unclear just what exactly the consequences are for protesting the actions of the government; I vaguely remember that maybe Anya was an Alban whose family was arrested but I don't remember for sure. While lena is simply being refused/stonewalled and doesn't seem to actually be risking her life/freedoms by doing what she's doing (yet). If Lena's dad could simply have been arrested for his lobbying on behalf of the 86 I think they would have instead of (presumably) being killed via a conspiracy.

Contempt for the Weak doesn't really fit when Alban society basically seem like silver haired elves who detest the very idea of risking human life in war. Something fascists governments live to die for.

I'll grant selective populism but mainly due to the way they do have total control of information and the subsequent TV broadcasts but this is less necessary if they actually still have elections and the people actually might be on board with it?

You mean Anju? She is half Alba. Shin and Haruto's families were said to be from the Empire originally though they were born in San Magnolia.

Also I took at look at some supplemental details on the Legion Drones and man the Self Propelled Mines that killed Daiya are probably the closest to Warcrime stuff the Legion does.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 1, 2021

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ninjewtsu posted:

The fact that military service is seen as a dead end job rather than glorified definitely gives san magnolia a very different feel than traditional fascism

People in fact only seem to want Military jobs so they can laze around for a couple of years and get payed for doing nothing.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I got really curious and checked out the Novel for these events. And man San Magnolia is bad at this, apparently 60% of the Mortars Lena fired did not even work anymore.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Omnicrom posted:

Lena finally ran out of giveable fucks, and it was glorious.

Yeah I liked her pointing out that it does not matter if she breaks the rules, nothing will happen to her that’s worse then what is happening to Spearhead.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also we got confirmation on what Lena’s punishment was. basically a slap on the wrist.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Raenir Salazar posted:

drat that's a good episode. There's just so many solid hitters this season. I want to know more, I might have to read the LN to know what happens next if the special episode mentioned above doesn't answer these questions.

We know we are getting a part 2 after a break so if you can wait a season.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Supremezero posted:

I don't think we know it's coming in a season. Wasn't there something about delays?

True I was just assuming cause split cours are generally about a season later.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nitrousoxide posted:

How interested would people be in a LN thread? I don’t know how many LN readers there are and whether it would justify a separate thread to avoid spoiling the anime only folks

I only read the first volume so I think I will just stick with the anime as I don't know any easy places to read the novel.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Honestly I would want the Legion Machines more cause they are cooler looking for the most part.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Raenir Salazar posted:

On the other hand I have a hard time imagining their so efficient at keeping track of the 86 that they would have remembered that there's one specific unit that's still kicking around and almost at the end of their time. Why can't it be both?

Spearhead unit is where they send the 86 that are surviving too long to die. It's the purpose of the unit.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Looking forward to this soon.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
That first episode was really good.

The OP was great too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6jduQ_Jy5c

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also from what was talked about here, the Legion never actually became self aware and turned on its masters.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Raenir Salazar posted:

A what now? I thought we all generally knew this when the show was originally airing?

What we were told in San Magnolia is that the Empire of Giad was destroyed by the Legion turning on them. But from what the President said, the Empire was overthrown and made into a Federal Republic. But because the Federacy overthrew the Empire the Legion started targeting them as well.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 2, 2021

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Someone just pointed out to me, that the Federacy Military said that the Dinosauria wreckage they found with the Spearhead kids was an old version. Meaning the Legion was not even tossing it's up to date stuff at San Magnolia.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Raenir Salazar posted:

I got a very different impression, namely cause and effect are reversed here. What I got was because the legion turned against Giad, there was a civil war/rebellion to replace the Empire with something more effective to save and piece together whats left of their country to more effectively face off the Legion because the Empire got their clocks cleaned by their creations.

I got the other impression because of how he said it.

'We defeated the Giad "Empire" that created the Legion, and we changed it into a Federal Republic. Well, because of that, we're still fighting the remaining Legion, though.'

Which implies to me they would not be fighting with the Legion had they not overthrown the Empire.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kingtheninja posted:

Just found out about show, is it available anywhere outside crunchy roll? Or is that the only option stateside?

I think so.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Reik posted:

While I agree 86 has been a pretty anti-fascist show so far, a likeable genocide committer saying actual Nazi slogans and has super powers because of her royal blood is definitely not part of their anti-fascist narrative.

I don’t think there is any way you can say Frederica committed genocide. As she said the Legion was ordered to invade the rest of the continent 10 years ago. She is 10 years old so she would have been an infant at the time.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Speaking of that. The Giad royal family must have been in a pretty dire state if an Infant was the best choice for Empress.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Reik posted:

I mean, she seems pretty willing to claim responsibility for it, and the revolution that overthrew her royal family is the only reason they stopped.
Shin pointed out she was too young to claim responsibility for the Legion, and the revolution did not stop the Legion.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Reik posted:

I meant that it stopped the royal family from participating in it. I don't think we know why the Legion went haywire, do we?

From how it appears. Giad Empire creates the Legion tells them to conquer the continent for the Empire and defeat it's enemies. Revolution happens and Empire is overthrown and replaced with a Federal Republic. The Legion having no masters now just continues on it's ordered path to conquer the continent, but evolves enough to figure out a way around it's built in shut down sequence.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ninjewtsu posted:

That doesn't really make sense though because then why would the ones with human brains not shut down, at best the better efficiency would just push the time table down right? But it's not an intentional kill switch so much as a flaw in the design

From how it sounded, the primary Legion AI is based on a human brain scan that was purposefully degrading and after a certain point it would hit a point where it was useless and the Legion would not longer be able to function. However the Legion figured out that it could just replace the Brain Scan with new ones. This would both increase it's intelligence, and increase the time it could function. The Legion seem to operate based on the commands of the most intelligent type of Legion nearby. Which is why destroying a Shepard can temporarily cause disarray in the units.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Talorat posted:

Yeah I suspect that's exactly it. Like many fascist things it unfortunately sounds cool when removed from any context.

Anyways season is starting strong so far. Agree with the others re: the sense of unreality in Giad. I'm really curious what exactly Lena was doing with the scientist lady that she was in such a rush to get to in the first episode. Looking forward to see what develops there. Also is it just me or are they making a big point of making the republic look even more physically decayed than before? If so, I appreciate that this show is not buying into the big lie that fascist societies are inherently more efficient: "Mussolini made the trains run on time" and all that.

I feel like I should point out that the Republic is not actually fascist. It lacks far too many of Fascism's traits to be considered as such. The Republic is however extremely racist and genocidal and is just as bad as a fascist state.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nitrousoxide posted:

Something I wish the show hadn't skipped so far are the Legion POV sections. Those are kind of neat in establishing their way of thinking.

We got a few things like that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also pretty sure Raiden said he did hate the Republic. He fought for them because A, he does not want the innocents and other 86 to die. B, he does not want to die himself.

Also this last episode Raiden did not even say he hated the Republic. He said it was not Giad that took everything from them, it was the Republic.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 13, 2021

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Raenir Salazar posted:

Even modern MBT's will destroy other comparable MBT's in a similar fashion, the armor is more for glancing or spent hits I imagine; it's more survivable against long range artillery I figure as well. It might also be the case that a lighter design could be a moral issue, if crews don't feel safe they aren't going to be as willing to follow orders and enter into danger. And also production lines could also be an issue, any tank is better than no tank and retooling production lines beyond iterative incremental improvements might disrupt production too much.

Apparently their front armor is much better then their side armor

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm not sure if I get it, aren't the Giad soldiers volunteers? I don't get the sense they have a draft despite the terrible situation at the front.

Yeah, I get the same impression. The 86 seem to just be kind of broken which is why they are going back to the fighting.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Moofia Boss Val posted:

Apparently, in the span between episode 2 and 3, Shin enlisted in the military, was assigned to a battalion (about 1,000 men), and then nearly everyone else died except Spearhead (and the guy who was driving the truck?). With how quickly entire battalion seem to get eliminated, the draft has to be implemented or else they literally won't have enough men to hold back the incoming robot hordes, and IIRC they need a huge amount of men because they need to maintain a deep perimeter of dozens or hundreds of miles to keep those huge Legion railguns from getting within range of the cities. However, it seems more likely that they will run out of oil and ammo before they run out of men.

It's possible because Shin's team wanted to head into the thick of it, things were worse for them then the other guys, plus they are using less armored mechs. Also it's mentioned the battalion got split up. Also I don't think the Legion has railguns. The Lowe and Dinosauria both just had big cannons.

Edit: Oh yeah the Legion did have that massive artillery thing late last season, but that was implied to be super new as Spearhead had not seen it before.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Yawgmoft posted:

I saw the two episodes where the thank you for your service now die in a meat grinder for the chance at a better life society fundamentally cannot understand that being literal walking dead for five years has fundamentally warped the brains of six outcast children while they cling to the idea that they could make it out alive when they very likely will not, yes.

What are you talking about. No one has asked anyone to go die in a Meat grinder. And everyone in Giad has been against them fighting the Legion. Even the Lady who had the new mechs built, just wanted them as Test Pilots, not in actual military service.
Giad does not even have conscription.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nitrousoxide posted:

So in this episode we see

That the Legion seem to be planning an offensive of some sort. We learn about Frederica's knight, including how he's got the same family name as Shin. Frederica plays the role of Lena in urging Shin to think about his future, and we also learn that at least two other countries have survived beyond the two we know about. Shin's team will be joining combat operations soon as they get moved from testing into the combat forces.

Also, in the credits we see Lena back in the Republic for a brief scene

Well she said Kiri was not a direct descendent of the Nouzen's so he and Shin would not be actually related. Though it appears the Nouzen's were a notable family in the Empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Raenir Salazar posted:

Maybe it's something like way way way way way back someone from the Nouzen family probably moved West to what would become San Magnolia? Interesting if there is a connection there.

His family was said to have originally been from Giad back in season 1.