Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

The one thing about the Starcraft EU that's stuck with me all these years is that Mengsk, of all people, got suckered by the recruitment office when he was fresh out of high school.

Only 50%* of new soldiers ever see combat!

*The other 50% are either recruits that wash out in basic/suffer a training accident, or are convicts that have a bad reaction to resoc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Omobono posted:

How would you even do Zerg deathless? Zerg is the epitome of "we have reserves"* warfare, in a game where everyone has reserves.
*Or "we can grow reserves" in their case. Same thing.

My guess would be mass muta stacks as soon as those unlock.

Can't die if anything that gets close to you melts.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Aces High posted:

That is the one nice thing about how the upgrade system works in SC2 campaign. Once you buy the shield for your marines, or choose which strain you are evolving your zerglings into, they are set for the rest of the campaign

But the further you go the less permanent the upgrades get.

WoL upgrades were 100% locked in once you got them, HotS had the strain evolutions permanent but lesser evos and hero loadout could be changed up, then LotV you could freely change your entire kit whenever you want.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Omobono posted:

Yeah, the Swarm reorganizes a lot between 1 and 2 to adapt to the current Terran/Protoss context and while some units remain mostly unchanged (such as the zergling, you can't improve perfection), the role of queens shifts a lot and so does their ability loadout.

Hell, it's about time are they not ground units in 2?

Yep, they also change from late game casters to early game anti-air/support.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Oh poo poo you're back! :allears:

So, funny story, I'm nearing the end of the game of my current LP, and I was planning on following up with a Mass Recall LP.

Why Mass Recall? Specifically so I wouldn't be treading on your toes in case you came back.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Poil posted:

An office landscape. Row after row of zerglings slaving away at computers as above them the suited overlords float menacingly.

And you don't want to know what goes on down in Human Resources.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

JohnKilltrane posted:

Also 100 Killtrane Bucks to whoever comes up with the best explanation for why a swarm of insects prevents accurately targeting the units underneath while still allowing the units underneath - friend or foe - to accurately target anything outside.

The controller of the units inside just gives really, really detailed instructions on where to shoot.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Also if the Dark Templar are pretty much Kill On Sight for the Conclave, it'd probably help to know the one place you should Absolutely Never Go.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

JustJeff88 posted:

How so? I don't know if I got that far because I am so bloody bad at MR.

Probably because you aren't restricted to 12 mutas in a single control group. If you have 200 supply worth of mutas, there's nothing stopping you from pointing all of them at a target with a single click.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Hey Killtrane, are you planning on covering SC2 after you finish SCR? My current LP is winding down and I'm planning on doing all of SC2 next but I don't want to tread on your toes if you're planning on doing it yourself.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

JohnKilltrane posted:

I am not. I've thought about it, but SC2 is a very long game and it's taking me long enough to get through SC1. SC1, BW, and any incidentals (Enslavers, Demo campaign) are all I'm going to do from the series, and if I do anything else from it, it'd probably be Insurrection. I do have an idea I'm excited about for an LP once I'm done this one, but it'll be for something completely different. Well, mostly different. And by "this one" I mean SC1 and BW, because there are some games that are just inseparable from their expansion.

I do appreciate you asking, though, that's very thoughtful. I'm looking forward to seeing your LP of it.

Alright, thanks!

JustJeff88 posted:

Are you doing video or SS? I presume the former, but I only like SS LPs. I'm very glad that John did this one SS.

inflatablefish posted:

I'd also love to see an SC2 screenshot LP!

MagusofStars posted:

I also prefer SS LP's as a general rule, though I'll note that you could definitely make an argument for SC2 working better as a video LP (or perhaps a hybrid) because the SC2 missions have a surprisingly decent amount of variety, far more 'events' and stuff popping up mid-mission, plus all sorts of between-mission cutscenes/dialogue/interactivity.

I'm planning on doing a hybrid LP. Commentated screenshots accompanied by commentaryless videos for cutscenes and missions. This LP and the Warcraft LP have proven that SSLPs of an RTS are more than viable.

It's going to be a few weeks before I can get started, however. VFD still has a number of updates to go.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

GodFish posted:

As far as the sc1 campaigns go a lot of the resources are placed in a way where you really can't get optimal access to them, at least not both vespene and minerals from one building.

Shoutout to New Gettysburg, where minerals and gas are on opposite sides of the screen.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Grand Fromage posted:

I have learned from this thread that the list of key competitive play units and units I never bothered using have a ton of overlap.

disregard micro play, embrace a-move

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Tenebrais posted:

Honestly hydrogen makes a lot more sense than helium for that. It's readily available in normal biological processes and even lighter. It would have the downside of implying overlords are explosive but I would argue that that's rad actually.

I mean the original design did have Scourge spawn when an Overlord died...

Also, Killtrane,

JohnKilltrane posted:

[timg]https://lpix.org/4029526/[ENG] AfreecaTV StarLeague(ASL) S11 Ro.24 Day2 (Tastosis) 1-1-22 screenshot.png[/timg]

Broken image link in the Firebat spotlight.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Let's stick with Artanis.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

My favorite thing with protoss is getting supply blocked and just having to send one Probe out to throw down 4-5 pylons in 5 seconds.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

ChaosDragon posted:

Question how are the protoss purging Terran worlds again?

Carriers have laser beams they use to glass planets. To quote Liberty's Crusade:

quote:

Where the energy beams struck, they burned. The sky itself curdled as the beams pierced through the atmospheric envelope. Air itself was torn away from the planet by the force of the blows.

And where the beams struck the surface, they erupted, boiling the ground where they struck, uprooting both the creep-infested lands and those that had not been infected. Deadly rainbow radiation, more brilliant than Mike had ever seen, spiraled out from the impact points, churning earth and water mercilessly, distorting the matter of the planet itself.

[...]

One of the pulsing beams punched through the crust itself, and the ground erupted in a volcanic upwelling. Magma pushed to the surface, consuming everything that had been uprooted by the energy beams. Most of the world's atmosphere was burning now, torn away from the orb in a veil that trailed it in orbit, and what was left spiraled in hurricanes and tornadoes, until destroyed by more beams.

Now red volcanic glows covered the northern hemisphere of Mar Sara like welts. The remainder of the land heaved in a deadly rainbow. Nothing could survive the assault, human or otherwise.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

JohnKilltrane posted:

(bisbyworl I apologize for lifting your spotlight structure; I tried asking you about it but it got buried pretty quickly)

see the funny thing is I was originally lifting your spotlight structure before I decided on my current setup

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

JohnKilltrane posted:

Look, it's purple! That's Steve's brood! Everyone say hi to Steve! It's unclear as to whether this means Steve's brood has been recalled to Char or if these are just some token Zerg that were left behind under Kerrigan's control to aid her, but I suspect the latter.

A moment of silence for Steve, slain by Tassadar in the climax of Queen of Blades shortly before Aldaris and Artanis show up.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

JohnKilltrane posted:

No worries, I nearly posted this past spotlight in the StarCraft 2 thread. Didn't even notice until I previewed it. It'll probably end up happening sooner or later.

"drat, this LotV spotlight is both really early, and incorrect!"

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

SIGSEGV posted:

Matt Horner, who should be available.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Pieces of Peace posted:

Selendis. We have to save Matt to be Kerrigan's new cerebrate.

Steve was Matt's younger brother all along.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Snorb posted:

(Wait a minute. It's been a long long time since I played Starcraft. IS there a Medic hero in Brood War?)

No, but one of the Medics used to drug the Overmind got retconned into being Lt. Morales from HotS/SC2 co-op.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Tenebrais posted:

Zerg are hard to count one way or another. Hatcheries produce spawn, so they're female if anything, but that's clearly asexual reproduction so they could just as easily not be anything. Zerg most likely aren't sexed and I could easily see Kerrigan being the first member of the Swarm to bring any notion of gender identity.

The Overmind infested Kerrigan to introduce the concept of a girlboss to the Swarm.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Option 4.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

I have a far simpler theory for why the Arbiter has an attack.

It's to stop it from happily flying into enemy lines when you a-move your entire army forward, like all those other casters kid me never used. :v:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Well we already have Jimmy.

So we obviously need his secret twin brother, Bimmy.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

JohnKilltrane posted:

Our splash screen. Note the use of a time stamp, which would be absent come the game proper (aside from the occasional “One hour later,” etc). My guess is they decided ambiguity on whether the events of a campaign are happening over the course of days, weeks, or months would help to avoid the creation of accidental plot holes.

Which they then brought back for SC2.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Well poo poo, looks like I have to make one of these too to keep things even. Shouldn't take tha-

son of a bitch I'm not even done with barracks units

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Help the protoss.

Is it just me, or does the Cartoon Vulture portrait look like they came out of South Park?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Also throw in a cartoon screenshot for the Brood War units and any heroes with unique sprites.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

JohnKilltrane posted:

Possibly, although where Tom has 500 HP and Matrix effectively adds 250 HP, he'd still be a bit weaker than Magellan's 800 HP, so it might be a bit trickier. On the other hand, if you Matrix Tom and sent both of them it could split incoming fire and end up making it easier. Tommy boy can cloak, but with so many Turrets everywhere that might be a moot point.

Tom is also a bit faster, so that + occasional blindspots in turret coverage might make the difference.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

What about the Robotics Support Bay, which has three vacuums sticking out of it?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

I just realized that this mission and the first Prophecy mission both have occasional Scourge fly around to imply the zerg are running the joint.

They even reused a huge flock flying around before a big attack starts.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Lettuce attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

A: just go for the crystal