Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Does anyone still have the animated GIF of the UK within the EU structures and exiting over a waterfall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Noxville posted:

I absolutely hate broccoli, and cauliflower. All brassicas so probably the same genetic thing that makes me loathe sprouts. Root vegetables are definitely my thing, carrots, parsnips, beetroot are all aces.

I loathe cauliflower and sprouts, but broccoli is OK for me. I'm sure that genetic thing is bullshit someone made up so they wouldn't have to feel bad about not eating their veggies.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

multijoe posted:

The only ethical diet is veganism, and the only tolerably ethical diet is vegetarianism

That's the first time I've seen the words "vegan" and "tolerable" used in the same sentence.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

^^^ No. Both votes same party only works for parties that are not likely to win constituency seats in the region. The SNP are loving idiots who don't understand this. If you want a majority for independence, vote SNP constituency and Green on the list. Your only other pro-indy choice is Alba, which is run by rapist fascist Alex Salmond and is mostly inhabited by people kicked out of the SNP for being too bigoted.

sebzilla posted:

If I were a ballot counter I'd enjoy the knob votes but I suppose they're not for everyone

As I have to explain every loving time: the candidates never see your oh-so-witty "political statement". The only person who does is a low paid council worker, usually female, who gets a dick waved in front of them at 2am on a work night. Just don't.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 09:39 on May 6, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

keep punching joe posted:

Scottish count doesnt start till 10am on Friday, results wont start coming in till the afternoon.

9am, but yes. And it carries on into Saturday.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

While I agree that Starmer has no political skills, I'm not so certain that he lacks antennae. The remote control signal has to come in somehow.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

It's alright, getting in is the last thing Labour candidates have to worry about in this election.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

nurmie posted:

Also, it'd be nice if all the vote results would bother including "didn't vote" as a voter category. I think that'd be quite eye-opening for quite a few people

They do, although not explicitly. 100-turnout is the "Didn't Vote" category.

Also in Scotland voters were advised to turn in a blank ballot if they didn't want to vote on either constituency or list. As a result the number of excluded ballots has multiplied; normally you'd get maybe 20-30 per constituency, this time we're getting 100-200.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Apraxin posted:

I’m pretty sure she calls him Keir Star Man, lol.

There's a Starmer waiting in the sky
He'd like to set out policy, but he thinks he'd blow our minds

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Reveilled posted:

I do wonder how 2017 would have gone with him at the helm. Maybe it would have made no difference, but I feel McDonnell projects more "authority" than Corbyn did, maybe that could have pushed us over the line. Harder to sing his name to Seven Nation Army though, so, swings and roundabouts.

"Ohhh, Big John McDonnell!"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Borrovan posted:

He was on Ridge a month after that photo talking about being a vegetarian & specifically said he missed chicken curry, so yeah pescatarian sounds right but probably the sort of thing you'd mention if being interviewed about your dietary habits?

Could this be the scandal that finishes him?!?!?!?!

You know who else was vegetarian and got outflanked on the left by the Tories?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Chubby Henparty posted:

I have no idea of his political leanings, but I would vote for Paul Williams of Rainbow Connection/Daft Punk/Phantom of the Paradise fame so much. Waste of a good name there.

I'd vote for John Williams. I don't know about his policies but more MPs entering the house to the Imperial March can't be a bad thing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Junior G-man posted:

We went and did a whole extra bonus episode on Saturday for two reasons: first, to laugh at Labour and the Kieth Kollapse, but also because one of us has been working under contract for the Northern Independence Party!

So if you're interested in the inside view about the NIP, where is goes next, and whether there is actual Praxis in this here podcast?

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1392436677294034945?s=20

Next one should be out tomorrow already.

Er, was it intentional to equate the Labour Party with the KKK?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It is a bit strange that people are pulling out the demographics are destiny argument in reaction to the Tories making moves that skew the (voting) demographic even more acutely in their favour.

Not really? The start point of the discussion was that the Tories are having to skew the voting demographic by removing voters because they can't gain new ones.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

radmonger posted:

If you have a national ID service, you simply don’t need the electoral register, so that becomes a pointless and obvious waste.

The electoral register is used for more things than determining who can vote. It's an important tool for the court system, where it's used to make sure two people with the same name aren't confused and also to select jurors.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Well, someone is on point I see.

https://twitter.com/ProfChalmers/status/1391887651284955137

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

bessantj posted:

Isn't she British? Where would you deport her to?

They're trying to deport second-generation descendants of Windrush immigrants to the Caribbean. I can't see the problem in deporting Patel back to wherever her immigrant father came from. Other than that they wouldn't want her, of course.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Azza Bamboo posted:

Can someone explain to me why Scotland isn't just going for a referendum and a UDI?

The right to self determination has been defended by the Western world for a century now. Why are the SNP hellbent on asking Boris for permission?

Does the party want independence or does it just want to keep the convenient narrative "Westminster is holding us back?" Or is there some material reason to do an unprecedented thing and gain the government's permission to leave Britain without first applying force.

It's a bit of both. The SNP will always garner support from cries to throw off the Hated English Yoke TM, but there are also international considerations. They want - and in fact need - to rejoin Scotland to the EU, but Spain will veto that if Scotland simply declares independence because they have a similar movement in Catalonia. However, the backbone of the Spanish position is that they would respect the result of a referendum if one was held; they just never intend to let the Catalans have one.

The complications creep in with Brexit. With Scotland being dragged out of the EU against its will, a second Indyref is as much an attempt to join a union of nations as it is an attempt to leave one. So Spain might accept the result of a wildcat referendum because technically the SNP wants to be in a political union with Spain.

However, I don't think Spain would accept a UDI unless the Tories tried to shut down Holyrood. And maybe not even then.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Isn't that thing of a corrupt Emirati leader and it's literally a printout of his face?

I think the demonic eyes were probably added after the fact. It's probably meant to be Mohammed bin Salman, though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Failed Imagineer posted:

I think the antisemitic horseradish was the point I realised there was literally nothing you could do about bad faith tabloid consent manufacturing against Corbyn, how about you?

Is The Antisemitic Horseradish a sequel to The Racist Tree?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

QINE

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Noxville posted:

To be fair, Shrek does totally suck

True, but the Guardian are probably only having a go at it now because Boris has gone full Farquaad on Covid and he's getting memed for it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Wildly popular with both critics and audiences but does not engage with the key demographic of 'media failsons paid by the line' required to become high art.

Other than the aforementioned Farquaad speech and Puss in Boots doing anime eyes, can anyone remember a single joke from Shrek? I can't.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tesla was right posted:

Catgirls are canon in the Elder Scrolls, whether they grow into a housecat, humanoid of varying furriness or massive tiger depends on the phase of the moons when they're born.

Every playable race in the Elder Scrolls except Argonians are interfertile, and usually inherit the mother's race. I say *usually* because for some reason Emperor Cassynder aged like a Breton despite having a Dark Elven mother.

Edit: khajiit and human/elven children are supposedly unheard of, but frankly there are some kinds of khajiit which just looks like wood elves, so I don't hold much credibility for that.

Khajiit has had it off.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

what the gently caress is the middle of the economy

The people who still think of themselves as middle class. Basically Starmer just admitted that he's happy to toss the working poor into a grist mill if it gets him elected.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Real Cool Catfish posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ImIncorrigible/status/1394419207354429445

Finally, what I’ve been most looking forward to. Cheaper meat from countries with much shittier agricultural standards.

Oh also murdering U.K. farming whilst being completely aware that you’re doing so. Interesting to see whether MP’s vote with the party line or their constituents, since this benefits no-one’s constituents.

Interesting to see what? They're Tories, and post-purge Tories at that. They will vote with the party line over the livelihoods and even the lives of their constituents exactly 100% of the time. And they will not suffer for it, because they know Tory voters will vote for them 100% of the time even as they're being murdered.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

That's the old Spitting Image joke about the SDP/Liberal merger.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Here's one from 1664, and London is a lot duller without the plague.

Apart from the guy who got fatally scalded when he fell into a mash tun. If only he'd known the fermentation process begins after the mashing; he might have lived to die of plague the next year.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I agree but it's also more self reflection than I would have expected from a tory

Cummings isn't a Tory, he's a mercenary. Possibly - probably? - working for Putin; he spent several years in Moscow and refuses to discuss what he did there.

The "who do we not save?" question doesn't bother me, to be honest. People were always going to die and the question of where our efforts were going to be channelled needed to be asked no matter who was in charge. It's the answer to the question that the Tories must be held accountable for, not the question itself.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Bobby Deluxe posted:

What I really want is something that will tell all of those cookie consent screens to gently caress right off, especially the ones that have a couple of hundred 'partners' and make you uncheck each one manually.

See also: "legitimate interest". There is no such thing, and that poo poo needs to be made 100% illegal immediately.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The girl at work is lactose intolerant and won't speak to me any more.

She wants lactose to go back where it came from?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

feedmegin posted:

You say that, this actually came up when my ex wife remarried to a Catholic and I had to ask my dad if I'd been baptised. I hadn't so apparently our heathen rear end marriage didn't count and all was cushty with the Lord.

Where's the contradiction here? Catholics are old fashioned enough to believe that only baptised people can get married. They'd be super pissed if you tried marrying a Catholic on that basis. But on the other hand, they wouldn't care about your previous marriage on the same basis. If you were baptised, then your marriage ended in divorce; as you weren't, it ended in annulment.

Guavanaut posted:

lol at Boris Johnson having a Catholic ceremony when Charlie couldn't even get a CofE one.

To be fair, the rules probably apply more strictly to you when your mother is the Pope.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

That's interesting too, because a lot of the early Methodists were massive prison reformers, and the whole Sheep and Goats speech is supposed to be central to that idea.
Maybe I'm reading it wrong and it actually means "also everyone should be in prison so you can be righteous by visiting them" in the New Labour Version.

What you need to understand about "Christians" who appear to ignore the actual teachings of Christ is that they start from a position of believing they are automatically righteous because they follow Jesus. The fact that to actually follow Jesus involves listening to and acting on what he had to say doesn't occur to them. So when Jesus says the righteous proceed to eternal life, that means them because they put their coin into the slot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Jesus Christ, will Not the Nine O'clock News ever stop being relevant?

https://youtu.be/Rl6TWGRcs6E