Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Picnic Princess posted:

They didn't have bandaids where I got my shot lol

How did they keep all the 5G from leaking out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Inept posted:

i think i saw an ad for the walmart sitcom where they were wearing masks

lol

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Communist Toast posted:

This show is decent, I put it on in the background while I work. But this season started playing when I was feeling like poo poo after my 2nd dose and I had to turn it off. Who wants to be reminded of the garbage we're dealing with every day? Not to mention the performances all being hidden behind masks for a lot of the episodes. dumb dumb DUMB

The mask thing would be a bigger problem for a new show, but it's season 6 so anyone who has been a fan for 5 years should be familiar with the facial expressions these characters use when mugging for the camera. Besides it's a light sitcom, it's pretty clear what is going on even without looking at their faces.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Play posted:

I feel like the only way to prevent this would've been an abrupt and complete lockdown of the original infected area, and of course that would only work with dictatorial powers AND the ability to identify the new virus quickly. Literally setting up a cordon and no one inside can leave or even get close to the cordon. That area would then need to continue to be locked down indefinitely until the virus has nowhere to spread to and dies out, or a vaccine was developed.

Chances are a slow killer like covid is going to get out of the original area before authorities know what they have on their hands. Once it hits the first international airport you can't assume any international travel is safe. The 2 week mandatory supervised quarantine for all incoming travelers (citizens or not) seemed really good for the countries that made it work. Wherever there is an outbreak you do local lockdowns until you reach zero, not just until numbers are low enough to not overwhelm hospitals.

2 months of hard lockdowns to reach covid zero and then you get to have nearly everything normal except tourism. It's a good deal.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Covid isn't spread through the rear end, when did it ever go off the menu?

Looks like someone hasn't heard about the virus laden plumes. :fart:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Bloop posted:

They really don't

People think about them like a germ forcefield but you have to GET covid for the vaccine to matter at all. It's just that your immune system immediately goes "oh, this motherfucker" and gets to work right away so you don't get very sick.

You can theoretically still transmit weakly and you do have it, just a very mild case, often totally without noticable symptoms

If the vaccine offers for example 70% protection and the mask offers 50% protection, together wouldn't they offer 85% protection? Or a 90% vaccine + 50% mask offering 95%.

It doesn't seem like a huge difference, but in videogames you get people paying big bucks for a bit of kit that offers an extra 5% protection from thermal damage or whatever. There aren't many options for a the face slot IRL. You can wear a mask for extra airborne germ protection, or maybe lipstick for a charisma boost, but there aren't a ton of other options. :iiaca:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Please do not rely on GBS for medical advice.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Pennywise the Frown posted:

So I say again. Vaccines don't provide immunity. Not 100%. As in not everyone. As in some people who are vaccinated still get it.

You can say "yeah but the chance is small." It is. It's extremely small. But what I said is that it's not 100% that you won't get it. It's not black and white. This isn't up for debate. This is the truth and we all know it. The thread has been posting this since the vaccines were still in testing. How can anyone push back against this?

People can't just do whatever they want after they are vaxxed. They need to still take precautions. Jesus gently caress you guys.

It might be better to make a more nuanced statement "vaccines provide resistance but not full immunity". That way you won't get lumped in with the folks who say "vaccines don't work".

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Joined Pfizer Crew today. :toot: So far just some mild arm pain.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Sjs00 posted:

Congratulations and thanks .

I really should catchup on NEET has it been good

NEET is good.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Choirs are worse than anything else including wind instruments according to what I've read. Woodwinds like a clarinet or saxophone actually put out air at a very slow rate (in terms of velocity) compared to the puffs of speaking loudly or singing.

The possible worst culprit might be flutes, because you blow fast air straight out into the room, but I don't know if it's been compared to singing specifically.

After playing a woodwind or flute for a bit, the inside is damp and nasty as hell. Which means it is catching at least some of your droplets. Meanwhile the choir is just showering everything in front of them in those same droplets. So the band is probably a little less bad than the choir. Still bad tho.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Got pfizer yesterday, only had a bit of a sore arm but I kept moving it so today that was gone. Sitting here feeling smug about no real side effects. Then I noticed on thigh is sore. I didn't do anything unusual with my legs yesterday, and if I had it would be both thighs, right? Doublecheck the side effects list and "muscle soreness" is there. Kinda expected that one to be more general than one large muscle in my thigh. ???

Sitting and thinking about it got me to notice my back is a little sore too. Sore back is pretty common though, I might not have even noticed if not for the weird thigh. What the hell, body?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

TacoNight posted:

Remember the dancing nurses teaching us how to properly wash hands to fend off the coming pandemic? PYF covid memory.

Remember all the adults who'd apparently never learned how to wash their hands? LOL.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Once a week they roll through and spray all the common areas (halls, laundry rooms, mail room, etc.) with vaporized hydrogen peroxide, I think? They've been doing it once a week for a year. Thanks, but I'd rather see HEPA filters, eh? Have you done anything at all to improve the ventilation in those common areas? No?

It started around May last year, and seemed really encouraging at first. But the more we learn about Covid the more it seems like sanitation theater. Money that could be better spent moderating airborne issues rather than focusing on fomites.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I dunno about your particular library situation, but couldn't you come a long way by just mandating disposable gloves whenever handling ID cards or cash? I imagine that's the safest and cheapest way.

Only if they frequently have you changing or sanitizing the gloves. If you wear the same gloves for 4 hours those gloves aren't remotely sanitary. And then if you unconsciously wipe your eye or rub your nose?

You need to keep the virus away from your face holes. Keeping it off your fingers is only useful because people often rub their fingers on their face holes. Don't rub your face holes.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

That's dumb. What are apes going to do with 5G?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Charliegrs posted:

I know plenty of tv shows and movies have been made during the pandemic but has the pandemic been a part of the story in any of those shows/movies? Like it seems as though they have all been set either in the before times or in an alternative universe where the pandemic never happened.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Edit: I'm genuinely shocked that Canada is ahead of the US.

Same. The angry mans posting comments on CBC stories had me convinced that we were doing worse than average. "UK is ahead, USA is ahead, why are we second class? Trudeau is loving everything up." I knew that Australia was way behind, and I guess I knew the third world was hosed as usual, but I'm honestly surprised at how well we're doing with vaccines.

What's up with Russia? They had that Sputnik vaccine approved ages ago and they are still only at 11%. I thought for sure Russia and China would be doing victory laps by now. Did all those covid doctors falling out windows put people off?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

blunt posted:

Mammals are inherently social. You can't blame a subset of the population for humans natural desire for companionship.

Why can't they just socialize via post, like us? :justpost:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Blitter posted:

What? Who are these people? I got AZ in April because it was what I could get, and I felt lucky to be able to get any vaccine at all!

I would have gotten an mRNA if it was available, because the variant performance of AZ is comparatively poo poo, particularly after one shot.

It's me. They opened up AZ for my age group when I was about 3 weeks away from qualifying for Pfizer, so I waited.

I'm not sure how much of that can be attributed to the threads though. The messaging around AZ in Canada is a mess. Some provinces said it's safe, some stopped using it entirely. In BC they were saying it was safe for people 55+ due to risk of blood clots mainly affecting young women, but then one day the moved it down to like 35+. Meanwhile 3 other provinces had it 'paused' while determining if it was safe or not.

As a hermit who wore a silicone respirator whenever I left the house, the risk of waiting seems slightly more negligible than the risk of taking the 'bad' vaccine.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Platystemon posted:

Another example is the coronavirus family itself.

Two common cold coronaviruses, 229E and OC43, had been known since the sixties, but NL63 and HKU1 were only discovered when SARS started loving people up.

NL63 and HKU1 are each believed to infect something like five percent of the world population every year, yet it took SARS for us to be sufficiently motivated to find them.

We need to get the imaginary people in Plague Inc. to take over our public health response. A few dozen people with the sniffles and they are all over that poo poo.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Reminds me of when the UK first started flying in their citizens who'd been in the Wuhan area right at the start of the pandemic and when they arrived at the airport they were met by staff in full PPE who guided them onto buses so they could be whisked away to quarantine

:thunk:

The bus company released a statement saying it was perfectly fine for their drivers not to wear any PPE at all since all the passengers had been screened multiple times before they'd been allowed on the flight. But don't worry! They also announced they'd be deep cleaning the buses afterwards! :doh:

Is the full PPE guy even wearing any kind of air filter? Looks like all he's got on his face is a face shield. In which case he's all geared up against droplets and smears, but wide open to airborne transmission (because they kept saying it wasn't airborne).

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Helith posted:

probably on a par with forcing them to wear pants

or shoes

or hats

you monsters

parents truly are evil

Kids really hate shoes. When will the abuse stop? Barefoot rights now!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

stab posted:

Anecdotal but my kid didn't give a flying gently caress.

Kids understand better than some adults the necessity of things sometimes

Plus little kids have recently gone through the phase where they didn't want to wear shoes, or pants, or just randomly took off all their clothes and ran around naked. And then had to learn to accept shoes and/or clothes. Had to learn that they won't be allowed to wear their comfy spiderman pajamas 24/7.

Having to accept another piece of clothing builds on those lessons that sometimes we have to wear things we don't want to wear. A lesson little kids remember but many adults seem to have forgotten.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

CaptainSarcastic posted:

My springtime allergies were especially bad this year, and I felt really self-conscious being out in public coughing even though I've been diligent about mask-wearing. I felt like I should apologize and assure everyone it was just allergies, even on the phone.

You should have joined respirator crew. P100 easily blocks pollen. But no, you didn't want to look like a maniac.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5Otla5157c

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mild can still be bad. Remember that study of college athletes? Young, healthy guys in the prime of their life and months after infection 15% of them had signs of heart injury.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/ja...utm_term=091120

quote:

Of 26 competitive athletes, 4 (15%) had CMR findings suggestive of myocarditis and 8 additional athletes (30.8%) exhibited LGE without T2 elevation suggestive of prior myocardial injury. COVID-19–related myocardial injury in competitive athletes and sports participation remains unclear.

It's a worry if a cohort that should be among the very healthiest and lowest-risk Americans available has long term damage after covid. It was a small sample size so maybe it's just a coincidence or all those guys had some other factor in common. Maybe they were all snorting weasel dust to get through finals or something.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bad Purchase posted:

Sorry this was from a couple pages back, but I'm catching up with the thread. I've seen stuff like this about people showing signs of organ damage months after a covid infection a few times now. It sounds really bad, but one thing I haven't been able to figure out is if this is common to a lot of infections that cause inflammation through the whole body, high fever, and a big immune response. Does anyone happen to know how this compares to other common infections like flu, strep throat, encephalitis/meningitis, etc. that also cause a lot of inflammation?

When I get colds/flus I bounce back right in a week or two most of the time, but a couple times I remember feeling winded and fatigued and just couldn't exercise as hard for a few months after a bad flu. I'm not saying iT's JuSt ThE fLu!!! I'm just wondering if "long" symptoms to similar infections were already common, and we're finding it more now just because everyone is hyper-focused on studying anything/everything about covid, whereas flu, etc. are old news.

Yeah, probably. I've had that same experience of a bad chest cold that lasts less than two weeks but leaves months of fatigue and nagging cough. My mom has had pneumonia a few times and each time leave long term (permanent?) lung damage.

My mom moved out of assisted living and in with me because her last year there she caught pneumonia twice. It was a reasonably nice place but the dining room packed them in like sardines and let obviously ill residents eat in the crowded dining room with everyone else despite that being against the rules. The place was like an elementary school with all the colds and stuff constantly blowing through. Picachu faces all around when covid started burning through care homes.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

I did, I made several points:

1) Schizophrenics are not guaranteed to have some psychotic break when they enter a cafe
2) Even if they did, it would potentially result in some deaths in the cafe, let's say 20
3) Schizophrenia is not transmissible and so the impact would be confined to that cafe

I also pointed out that by comparison, the current outbreak in Eastern Australia and all of the hundreds of deaths and tens of thousands of hospitalisations and the financial ruin from hundreds of combined days of lockdowns across multiple states began with a single transmission in a cafe.

I love my brother a lot, his heart is in the right place, but gently caress is he stupid/ignorant sometimes.

Should have gone with incels, buddy.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

thunderspanks posted:

For most of my life I've watched my mother's religious beliefs motivate her to do all sorts of wacko poo poo, but generally resigned myself to just letting her do her thing. It's her life.
Now she's full-on depopulation/mind control/plandemic/end times antivax and I want to push her into a loving volcano. In 4 weeks she'll lose her job and everything she's worked for, which is already very little and I absolutely cannot materially support her when that happens. gently caress this loving earth.

I'm sorry you are going through this.

Make sure she knows you won't support her. Perhaps look up and send her the information on how to apply for welfare in your area and local homeless shelters. Help her set up a Gofundme and see the donations fail to pour in. People can get locked into funny ideas about being the hero in the movie who takes a stand and then everyone stands up and cheers, get her thinking about what that is really going to look like.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Geez guys there are other ancient alphabets just laying around unused. Glyphs too. The whole ancient Egyptian writing system is just going to waste. [big eye] variant causing trouble in the midwest, meanwhile [bird facing left] variant is spreading across south america.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Pinecone Sample posted:

I would call the police if a medical facility had a policy against bringing your own mask. Maybe if they had someone OSHA fit testing me at the door, they'd know this was certified by another country's health agency and I have only been leaving it in my car for the last month

And they can't know you aren't an rear end in a top hat who pokes holes or slits in it without inspecting it. Which should be a crazy thing nobody would do, except we've seen a bunch of assholes with obvious slits cut in their masks. It's not much of a stretch for there to be people more subtly modifying their masks because "it makes it hard to breath".

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

boquiabierta posted:

What are you basing your "hell no" answers on? From what I've read, planes are extremely well ventilated and you're only really sharing air with a few people in the seats around you. Have airplanes been linked to outbreaks more than I'm aware of? Of course being in the airport in crowded lines is a different situation but I feel like the risk is reasonable, wearing N95s or equivalent, and getting covid tests before, after and during travel. And the risk to kids, while real, is significantly less than the risk to adults.

Getting on an airplane involves spending time in an airport. Planes may be well ventilated but airports are the same as they ever were. Most airports have people eating and drinking, and you aren't required to mask up while eating.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Galewolf posted:

Ohh, Uber UK just sent a survey about how I ~*feel*~ about `No Mask / No Ride` rule continuing which can only mean that they are bracing for removing it because ?????

Like, goddamn son, we`re not even close to the end of pandemic and I`m like 50/50 on getting Covid from an Uber (the other option was Morrisons) last year despite everyone masking up during the ride. Just keep one good business practice up you dumbos, helps everyone.

Survey is good, actually. They are probably getting hundreds of messages a day about how the mask policy is bad and customers hate it and I'M GOING TO SUE YOU FOR DISCRIMINATION and whatever else. And likely 0 messages that tell them the mask policy is great, keep up the good work.

A survey lets them confirm that the majority of customers still support mandatory masking. They can even put it up on their website that 86% of uber customers support masking.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MrQwerty posted:

The big takeaway is that you didn't think you were lying, but that pharmacist lying about your vax date is a big deal because they have to cosign that and they're responsible with the FDA for that, and their signature and initials are in a ledger that can be reviewed like a service mark. The DEA has one too. The first two shots may have been free-for-all, but now that gaps are closing it's time to do things right for surveillance and etc.

Nobody was lying, it was just a poorly coded website. "Surely a competently built website wouldn't let me book before I'm eligible" may be naive, but it isn't deceitful.

Okay, a goon with a 2006 regdate expecting a website to work the way it is supposed to is pretty lol. What a maroon.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

naem posted:

Death, it’s a mugs game! The only reason people die, is because EVERYONE does it. You all just go along with it. It's RUBBISH, death. It's STUPID. I don't want nothing to do with it.

They'll get to you too eventually. Everyone I've known in their 90s had stopped dreading death. When you body sucks and all your friends are dead it's like why am I still here

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Willias posted:

So I don't know if this stupid virus is endemic at this point, but dear god the misinformation about it is.

What's a good place online to keep afloat on how things are going with covid-19 now?

You're already there. :smug:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Pinecone Sample posted:

It was literally introduced as an anti-depressant before it was approved to treat OCD.

What you're saying does not make sense. Giving people medication that is sometimes used to treat OCD as a COVID trial would cause them to behave more like your stereotype of people who have untreated OCD do? Please explain.

Also, European hospitals started giving fluoxetine and escitalopram like last January. And SSRI and SNRI are often not that chemically different from one another, it's just that the brain is a sensitive instrument, so we have come up with many.

Oh hey, I already take escitalopram. Guess I'm safe from covid. :smug:

The sadbrains shall inherit the earth.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I like how they clearly don't believe their own BS. If you really believed eating clay would remove heavy metals and "negative isotopes" you'd get the vaccine and then go home and eat a load of clay to remove all the toxins. You'd have the card saying you are vaxxed, and nobody would no you'd secretly un-vaxxed yourself with magical african clay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bad Purchase posted:

OK, are you backpedalling here? I thought you were implying that people who right now have neither had COVID nor a vaccination would go out of their way to catch COVID rather than get a vaccine to meet the requirement of a hypothetical mandate that allowed either:

Is that not what you were implying with the "get vaccinated or catch COVID"?

Some people in Edson, Alberta famously had a 'Get COVID' party to build up natural immunity to the virus. They got COVID.
https://edmonton.citynews.ca/video/2021/09/22/covid-party-send-edson-residents-to-edmonton-icu/