Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

don’t you think Aliens would rather drive than fly ?

have there been any UDOs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think it’s possible they could be slow walking aliens

I don’t think “aliens !!” would change anything . but on the other hand why release alien info at all. it’s a mystery .

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

ok but Greys are totally fake . or real but not Aliens

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Azathoth posted:

yeah duh they're machines the aliens make to interact with us

that .. totally makes sense ??

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the Greys being some kind of in between representation to not cause revolt from the humans does make a lot of sense

gently caress

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

what are some legit videos of the Phoenix lights . it appears some TV movie was also made

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

guys also I’m pretty sure I was abducted as a child

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

what is the big Air Force cargo plane that can appear to hover in place . they have them at Dover and it’s wild

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wheeee posted:

wishful thinking: believing multiple former fighter pilots who have extensive experience and familiarity with this hardware or engineers who literally worked on the hardware being used who say that it's not glare or camera movement and that the videos are legit

cold rationality: believing a couple youtube 'debunker' channels who say it's probably a bird based on reading some specs online

wasn’t the first famous ufo report from a trained military pilot

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Azathoth posted:

if you mean Kenneth Arnold, he was not a military pilot, he did fly a ton of search and rescue though. I don't know that I've ever seen it said that he flew anything other than smaller Cessna type planes.

I did mean Arnold

I swore he was a WW 2 pilot oh well

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

medical condition that kept him out of ww2 but not being a pilot ? strange

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Arnold saw a flying wing which is what they saw in Phoenix

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t know why aliens would have aircraft made for atmospheric flight at approximately the earths atmosphere

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

it could be future humans

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

“””unmanned”””” probe idea is pretty sublime and also fits nicely with Fermi Paradox ideas

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Can someone ask the aliens for help

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

best case scenario . I will take it

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

A MIRACLE posted:

im gonna laugh when we make contact and it literally is bird people. like super evolved dinosaurs who escaped extinction or whatever

that’s literally what birds are

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

is this from the 70 page classified report ?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

time traveling doesn’t make sense

I think alien automated probes are likely

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

if you guys like aliens , “Arrival” with Amy Adams is a pretty good documentary

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Ancient earthlings coming home after relativistic trips around the galaxy.

While interesting we would have seen evidence of their industrialization (industrialisationn) in ice cores (rip ice cores)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Not at all, if they were sufficiently (non-homo sapiens) (no-homo sapiens) ancient or sufficiently subtle in their actions (if they were more recent). If we disappeared tomorrow in a nuclear war there’s just be some flakes of unusual isotopes in the crust and maybe some fossilized deep sea fishing poo poo for our descendants or successors to find in another million years or so.

uh thre would be a two hundred year band of air pollution (more) . There is one from height of Rome we can still see in the ice cores

You are right if they just flew into outer space with their bodies it would be undetectable.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

antarctic ice is like 45 million years old. the fossil record from then on is pretty clear idk.

Obviously I am in no way ruling out super smart birds or small mammals that just flew into outer-space using advanced thought. In fact that is my leading explanation.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Endless Trash posted:

my favorite wacky theory is we’re horribly alone in an uncaring universe and there’s no one to save us from ourselves :keke:

thats impossible but it is possible we arent near anyone else.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

i forgot super smart arthropods who created sentient colony intelligence and then molted into tool-specific carapaces and body segments to construct living spaceships.

if they left the oceans we would likely not have a clear fossil record of them

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think I may write a short story about a pre Cretaceous colony of Arthropoda who gain colony sentience and selectively bread themselves into space ship parts

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

An arthropod colony mind could observe billions of individuals per week??? for mutations conducive to arthropod space ship construction

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Maybe that’s where the trilobites went ???!??

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

:thunk:

https://twitter.com/retronewsnow/status/1409648976761036801?s=21

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

evidence of any kind of metal work would be in ice cores

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The oldest continuous ice core records extend to 130,000 years in Greenland, and 800,000 years in Antarctica.

https://icecores.org/about-ice-cores

welp that isn’t long at all !!!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

this is why my sentient arthropod colony with genetic engineering powers is key to the mystery !!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Vomik posted:

if you invented faster than light travel you could theoretically go back in time and abduct yourself

You cant actually go faster than the speed of light. Even if we did it would only be useful to going to the future relative to someone not going as fast as you. The past doesn't exist. it's gone. You can't go back to it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If you had infinite power / resources you could view the past a bit. This would require wormholes and a reflecting mirror the size of a solar system. Still then youd would not be able to see like people talking to each other.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yes it is "not hard" to go very fast (relative to other things) by just accelerating at constant thrust. The is one of the main ideas behind the fermi paradox btw. since it seems trivial for an advanced civilization to travel distances like "galaxy" size, there should be evidence of this travel since time is so long. Basically, there is way more time than distance in the history of a galaxy.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

But since there is evidence of other civilizations traveling across the galaxy, the Fermi Paradox has been solved and we dont need to worry about depressing left wing ideas like "THE GREAT FILTER" :)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

wormholes should def work for information . even if you’d never want to send like a spaceship through one

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

of course we are completely discounting spiritual technology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Vomik posted:

it’s a lot more complex than that at light speed time stops moving. if you could go ftl and invented a banging rear end telescope you could go far enough away to see the earth in the past and watch aliens doing dog fights before we destroyed their dimension with a nuclear bomb

I don’t think a telescope the size of a galaxy could resolve that level of detail unless it were like in the solar system